1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

'Til They Croak (Rain Stall)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by StairFall, May 13, 2013.

1. StairFall

StairFall

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hey, this is a fairly simple team I worked out while messing around with some custom sets. Fed up with offence, fed up with sand I decided to escape both of them with a rain stall team featuring Toxicroak. This team revolves around using toxic spikes to relieve Toxicroak of the need to carry toxic, allowing him to use both sub and protect together in tandem. Toxicroak is a fairly under rater pokemon in the BW2 OU metagame and I felt like giving him the credit he deserves.
    The Team
    Big Threats

Reuniclus
    [​IMG]

Reuniclus is incredibly bulky and immune to passive damage. The only super effective move I can hit it with are scizor's U-turn and pursuit, and they do not do nearly enough damage. Calm mind + recover variants are the bane of this team. most of the time I defeat it through a combination of scizor's power attacks and Politoed's perish song to force a switch and boost pursuit.

Tornadus
    [​IMG]
    You might have noticed I have no flying resist. I've tried several iterations of this team and all of them have had extreme problems with flying attacks, even ones carrying Jirachi and Rotom. Though I've never outright lost to Tornadus I always end up losing at least a single pokemon to him, save when I started laddering at 1200ish rating. In short Tornadus leaves me with a Torn Anus.

Choice Specs tornadus can 2HKO every single pokemon on my team, outspeeds latias and is immune to toxic spikes. If he gets in I pray that rocks are up, hit Scald him with tentcruel, sack tentacruel and can then KO with Scizor's bullet punch.

Sun
    [​IMG]
    Sun is the complete anti thesis of this team. Ferrothorn and Scizor dread it, and Toxicroak blatantly suffers from it. Latias is not at all a true check to sun because of its reliance on rain for thunder and surf. generally Toxic spikes help me easily win the weather war, but Dugtrio can be a problem.

Vaporeon
    [​IMG]
    Words do not properly describe how much I hate Vaporeon. Not often seen, but the lack of taunt on my team allows hydrarest variants to walk all over me. Generally I've beaten her only through PP stalling and Latias applying powerful pressure with Thunder.

That's the team. A few more updates to the RMT will be edited into the OP at a later date such as replays and a general tidying up. All rates and tips are appreciated and if you truly love it leave a Luvdisc.
  2. StairFall

StairFall

3. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

Hey StairFall, nice team!

First of all, as you mentioned in your threat list, you're incredibly weak to sun. Nothing in your team appreciates sun, in fact most of them absolutely hate it. Latias is usually a great sun check, but you variant only has a single move not hindered by sun, ruining its chances of helping much vs sun. To help remedy this situation, I highly recommend replacing Thunder with Psyshock on Latias. Psyshock not only gives you a secondary STAB, but it gives you another move that's reliable under the sun, and it can OHKO Venusaur, a rather large threat to your team, as well as other big threats such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, Toxicroak etc. I don't really understand why you have Thunder in the first place, it only gives you coverage on Water and Flying types, and there are only 2 flying types that take super effective damage from Thunder in OU, and those are Skarmory and Gyarados. Skarmory is already 2HKOd by Rain boosted Surf, and not only does Gyarados take a large chunk from Dragon Pulse, but you have one of the best answers to Gyarados in the game: Physically defensive Ferrothorn. That just leaves water types; a few of the main ones are weak to Psyshock (Keldeo, Tentacruel etc.) and almost all the rest detest Toxic Spikes and take neutral damage from Psyshock. Psyshock only misses out on Starmie, who gets destroyed by Dragon Pulse.

With another reliable STAB move in place, you may want to consider Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse. I know it's mostly just personal preference, but Latias' ability to switch in and fire off nukes is too good to turn down. Finally, I recommend Toxic over Encore (or maybe Perish Song) on Politoed. You have nothing to poison the many airborne Pokémon OU has to offer, and having both Encore and Perish Song on the same set can be a little redundant.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team! Luvdisc'd :)
  4. Frochtejohgurt

Frochtejohgurt

sup,

I really like your team and especially your Toxicroak. First of some minor changes I'd like to suggest. I would replace Knock Off with Rapid Spin Tentacruel, because it is always good to have a way to neuter the best move in the game namely Stealth. Despite the fact that your won't be torn apart by hazards, Rapid Spin will help to enhance your switching and make it overall easier to check things. Next up is Toxic on Politoed which I would put over Encore. This way you have a something to poison Flying Types and Levitaters which are immune to Toxic Spikes which is important for Toxicroak.
    To help you with your threat list I suggest to change your Latias set to Calm Mind / Roar / Roost / Dragon Pulse with 252 HP / 252 Spe Timid and Leftovers. With this you can force a CM war with Reuniclus. After you both have boosted several times (Reuniclus will probably boost up to +5 or +6) you can Roar it out before will hit you, making not only Reuniclus set up totally useless but also leaves the opponent to deal with a Latias at +3 or +4. As a bonus CM Latias is huge nuisance to sun which often lack a reliable answer to it.
    I can't help you with Vaporeon without bigger changes, but it isn't that much of threat anyways. It is just annoying to play against, but you will never outright lose to it as it can't get past your Toxicroak, so you will win in the end. Tornadus is huge threat, but you can deal with it due to Stealth Rock and Bullet Punch. If want to have a safe answer to it, you could give specially defensive Jirachi a shot over Scizor, but honestly Scizor trapping ability is more useful. Thank god Tornadus isn't that often seen.

cool team, I'll give it a Luvdisc
  5. StairFall

StairFall

Thanks, I'll definitely be changing thunder for psyshock, it was heavily under used anyway. However One thing I have been thinking about is psychic over psyshock. Most people EV their tentacruel to have either equal or better physical defence than special defence and Cruel's removal is integral to laying down toxic spikes. Psychic still secures the OHKO on venusaur the only thing I really miss out against is amoonguss, who Toxicroak can handle as long as its not paired with Slowbro.

I'll experiment with both, after all they both are superior to thunder.

Thanks for the advice. Ultimately though I think depriving latias of surf is going to mean I'll have issues with skarmory and forretress, and lack of psyichic stab gives me problems with poison types who suck up me toxic spikes.

I'm always open to experimenting though. I'm not going to rule it out before i try it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)