Timburr (Analysis)

http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/dokkora

[Overview]

• Similar stats to Machop but has the added advantage of having Mach Punch (at the cost of No Guard Dynamic Punch).
  • Has Guts and an awesome Attack stat.
  • Bulky enough to take a hit.

[SET]
name: Guts Sweeper
move 1: Hammer Arm
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Payback
move 4: Mach Punch
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant
evs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD

Set Description:
  • Quite bulky, especially on the physical side.
  • It reaches an attack stat of 27 with Guts activated.
  • Hammer Arm is Dokorra's best STAB since Dokkora doesn't care about its Speed too much.
  • Stone Edge hits Flying-types.
  • Payback hits Ghosts.
Additional Comments:
  • You can use a faster spread if you like, but you need to use Low Kick or Brick Break.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Very hard to switch into, and revenge killers need to be weary of STAB Mach Punch.
  • Pokemon like Yanma and Scyther can come in and beat it.
  • Most Ghosts have no problems OHKO Dokkora, though they'll likely need a Life Orb boost or Substitute.
  • Pursuiters and Stealth Rock really aid Dokkora for dealing with the above Pokemon.

[SET]
name: SubPunch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 4: Mach Punch / Rock Slide
item: Leftovers / Oran Berry
ability: Guts / Encourage

Set Description:
  • Sets up a Substitute and goes to town with STAB Focus Punch and Payback for coverage.
  • Mach Punch is excellent for finishing off weakened foes while Rock Slide is useful for extra coverage.
Additional Comments:
  • Encourage should be used with Rock Slide to give it the bonus damage.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Very hard to switch into, and revenge killers need to be weary of STAB Mach Punch.
  • Stealth Rock is helpful because Dokkora forces many switches.

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 4: Mach Punch
item: Evolution Stone / Oran Berry
ability: Guts

Set Description:
  • Hammer Arm is Dokorra's best STAB since Dokkora doesn't care about its Speed too much.
  • Stone Edge hits Flying-types.
  • Mach Punch is a great sweeping tool late game.
Additional Comments:
  • You can use a faster spread if you like, but you need to use Low Kick or Brick Break.
Teammates and Counters:
  • Most Ghosts have no problems OHKO Dokkorra, though they'll likely need a Life Orb boost or Substitute.
  • If one can remove all of the opponent's Ghost-types and other Fighting-type resists, then Dokkora will have an easy time sweeping with Mach Punch.
[Team Options]

• Pursuit users.
  • Pokemon to resist Flying and Psychic-type attacks, such as Bronzor.
  • Bronzor can also set up screens which allows Dokkora to take even more attacks.
[Optional Changes]
  • Choice Scarf lacks a powerful STAB attack, but would otherwise be good.
  • Choice Band Fighting-type moves are generally a bad idea.
  • A lead set would function alright, but Dokkora doesn't have the confusion that is so crucial to Machop.
[Counters]

• Ghost-types.
  • Scyther and Yanma.
  • Revenge killers need to be fast and have a strong special attack, such as Psychics like Abra.
[Dream World]

• Iron Fist gives its Mach Punch 20% more power, making it an incredibly useful sweeping tool. It also means Drain Punch sits at a comfortable 90 Base Power.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I think Drain Punch makes more sense on the Bulk Up set; it gives Dokkora some longevity, which is very important against defensive teams who can wall and potentially outstall it. Of course, this would also mean you'd have to use Guts as its ability and probably Payback over Rock Slide (also you have Rock Slide on it and yet call it Stone Edge in set comments). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, especially since you can let Puriuru and Misdreavus burn you and recover the residual damage via Drain Punch later. Drain Punch may have use on the first set, but I haven't tested it out there.

Also Bulk Up Dokkora is the best Dokkora imo, especially since, with Drain Punch, it counters any sort of Zuruggu, so I think it deserves the first moveset, but I'm pretty biased.

I realize it's a marginal difference, but isn't Flame Orb the preferred item over Toxic Orb? :0 I'd think that the lower quantity of passive damage of a burn would be preferable to that of Toxic, assuming Dokkora lasts long enough to fall to Poison damage.

I realize it's a marginal difference, but isn't Flame Orb the preferred item over Toxic Orb? :0 I'd think that the lower quantity of passive damage of a burn would be preferable to that of Toxic, assuming Dokkora lasts long enough to fall to Poison damage.
The Guts sweeper is way too slow to actually stay in turn after turn to kill things. Therefore, it is more of a switch-in-and-hit-something-hard-and-then-switch kind of Pokémon. That being said:

Flame Orb does 12.5% every turn, meaning that after two turns (the most it would be staying in in most situations) it will have accumulated 25% damage to itself.

Toxic Orb would be doing 6.25% on turn one, and then 12.5% on the next turn, therefore making the accumulated damage over the time period of two turns 18.75%.

Since Dokkora, as said before, will not stay in turn after turn, Toxic Orb is the better option for its hit and run style of play.

As a side note, after three turns of having either status, the damage will be 37.5% for both of them, meaning that if you are using this Pokémon as a late game cleaner with Mach Punch, it can still take out the last 3 Pokémon on the other team while retaining the same amount of HP regardless of the type of orb.

Therefore, Toxic Orb is superior in this situation.

Speaking of Meditite, doesn't it kinda fuck with this thing?

Also, shouldn't Rock Slide be slashed with Payback on the Bulk Up set? They're both viable, and with Guts, ghosts are less of a problem, since they don't feel like WoWing you.

There's also Ice Punch for Gligar, and it hits Flying-types too.

You probably shouldn't mention Low Kick anywhere, it kinda...sucks.

EDIT @ Eo: well fuck.

I've been running this set on Dokkora, with an Adamant nature @ Evo Stone 236 HP / 196 Atk / 76 SDef and its pretty much a baller. After like 2 bulk ups (not hard w/Evo Stone + Drain Punch) he doesn't scared of nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)