ORAS OU Time to play some chess (Mega Gallade centered team)

TEAM AT A GLANCE

Bishop King Rook Knight Pawn Queen
This is a team i made that revolves around the mega gallade and uses a gallade bisharp latias core. It is still in the works though as some pokemon (*cough* roserade *cough*) feel a little bit out of place and my team needs a lot of fine tuning.

Bishop (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

The first part of the core, bisharp. Bisharps main purpose is instead of setting up swords dances of its own is to give momentum in order for Gallade to sweep. Knock off is for predicted switches (even in 1v1 matchups knock off is so damn good). Sucker punch is a form of priority to 1v1 choice users, setup sweepers, anything with over 70 base speed haha. Sucker punch can be used in order to kill Char Y, Lati's, Talonflame and more. But when a pokemon runs both knock off and sucker punch it often forces a lot of switches, Bisharps got that covered too! Pursuit is able to keep people in favourable 1v1s or KOing them on the switch. And Iron head is the fairy killing coverage move that hits like a truck.

King (Gallade) (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

King Gallade, the centre of my team. Gallades purpose is to set up and sweep, although with 110 base speed, decent 95/115 defenses and a MASSIVE 165 base attack it often doesn't have to set up as mainly a late game sweeper it does fine on its own for the early game. Close combat is a rediculously powerful stab move capable of 1HKOing a lot of pokemon that dont resist it. Innerfocus is not the greatest ability but it helps me deal with pesky Lead-punnys by being able to take the fake out and OHKO in return with a CC (note gallade can take a return from lopunny as well so although punny outspeeds it HAS to switch or else it dies). Zen headbutt is my secondary stab for hitting Keldeo, Mega Venasaur, Keldeo, Amoongus, Keldeo, Conkelldur, Keldeo. Ice punch is for pesky dragons, mence dragonite altaria etc. Gallade puts in a lot of work and despite how i thought it was going to be terrible before release because really nintendo INNER FOCUS, the cape i mean stats and movepool make up for its lack of a good ability. *Note* Knock off is not being ran because bisharp has knock off and i felt ice punch and zen were more important.

Rook (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

This thing. For some reason no matter how i make a team this damn washing machine somehow gets on it. Physically defensive water type with Will-O-Wisp and volt switch whats not to love? Rotom wash is on my team to switch into both Landorus and Talonflame who greatly threaten most of my team (im pretty sure rotoms the only one on my team that can take on a talon flame xD) It also deals with less threatening but still worth my time mons such as Greninja (can KIND of deal with greninja but in reality it cant) Gliscor. Volt switch gives a lot of momentum and more times than not gives me a free switch into bisharp or gallade to wreck some face in. Will-O-Wisp is to burn physical attackers that arent named talonflame. (No seriously talonflame can go to hell). While painsplit is my form of reliable recovery, with rotoms base -3 HP but really high defenses he does really well with painsplit because normally after painsplitting im back at like 80% (if you're a chansey then im at 100% :3). Rotom is seriously awesome and helps a lot with physical mons.

Knight (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

My beatiful defoger. Latias has 3 jobs for this team, Defog to get rid of hazards, Drago meteor the shit out of anyone that tries to stop me, and not let keldeo shit on my whole teams life. Keldeo is a strong force in the meta right now so having multiple ways to deal with Keldeo is pretty important IMO and a defoger that can take anything keldeo has and return fire with a psyshock seems pretty good to me. Honestly in my opinion my team has enough damage as it is so I ran a max hp max speed set in order to outspeed keldeo, base 100's etc while being tanky as well because the special attack EVs are not needed IMO.

Pawn (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind

Every time i look at this thing i think, wow it only has 81 base attack, BUT IT HITS SO GODDAMN HARD I DONT GET IT. Choice band talonflame, U-Turn gives a rediculous amount of momentum it lets me get a lot of free switches and free defogs / WoWs from latias and rotom respectively and it lets me deal with incoming enemy rotoms. Brave bird is the priority flying move that hits like a truck theres not much to say about it, i use it to deal with Megamence, Gallade, Medicham, anything choiced or set up will normally take about 60-80% from a brave bird so if you add in some residual damage from other things talonflame can wreck face. Flare blitz although not priority is a 120 BP fire move coming off a choiceband 12x base speed is a powerful thing. Tailwind is very nice I have a team that works very well with speed, a roserade that can outrun things is a roserade thats really strong, Gallade with the tailwind boost and a swords dance can destroy anything in the 4 turns it has to outspeed everything. While bisharp with the tailwind boost can knock off everything while outspeeding things (based off how much his knock off hurts if he outspeeds things they die fast).

Queen (Roserade) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

This slot is very contested. I Constantly switch back and fourth between Clefable and Roserade on this slot and i honestly dont know what FITS. Roserade gives a lot of coverage over Fairys and Water types, (Rotom, Azumaril, Clefable all lose to roserade (rose can take a flamethrower as long as clefable isnt set up). Clefable on the other hand can deal with Dark types (Looking at you Mega Sableye) and Dragon types besides Mega Mence who will be banned soon anyway (pls lord goomy ban mence). Roserade fits a strange role on my team, its a specially defensive tank and toxic spikes setter that i often use to gain momentum in the mid game due to grass' typing being able to switch into things like rotoms. Giga drain + synthesis give a lot of recovery and its 125 base special attack although uninvested is nothing to laugh it this thing hurts. BUt honestly i dont know what im going to do with this slot because i feel like roserade isnt BAD per say but there is better out there.
This is my team in a nutshell and needs some serious fine tuning. Thanks :3

Last edited:
Well, your team lacks Stealth Rock, which is a necessity for this team, so I think Clefable would be a good fit for Roserade. Toxic Spikes is not that good in ORAS anyways (you have Mega Gallade, which indicates ORAS), and Roserade is not that good anyways.

I am thinking of this Clefable set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Aside from that, I cannot see much inherently wrong, though I am probably not accounting for some new Mega or something.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty nice team. As you said, the Roserade doesn't really fit on your team all that well, even though it does give you a switchin to Azumarill and Keldeo, you already have that in Rotom-W and Latias respectively. Talonflame and Bisharp can check most Fairies, Rotom-W and Latias. As Alfafa said, you kinda need a Stealth Rock setter, so Clefable definitely works better. Clefable also gives you a great answer to Mega Sableye, which singlehandedly counters Gallade+Bisharp cores. However, given that you are very weak to Mega-Gardevoir, I would recommend Jirachi more, simply because it gives you a very good switchin to Mega Gardevoir who causes huge problem for your team : it beats MGardevoir, switches into Rotom-W and Bisharp, and handles MGallade. Although Talonflame does beat it, it can't really switch in that well and gets worn down a lot by it. However, not running Clefable can make you a bit weak to Mega-Saleye in Return. Once again, Talonfalme checks it, but once again, it gets worn down a lot. However, if you run Wish on Jirachi, you can actually pass wishes to Talonflame so that it can take switch into Sableye repeatedly. Since most teams Sableye is used on are defensive, they won't really be able to punish your wishpassing, unlike Mega-Gardevoir teams. Jirachi also enables you to beat Mega-Diancie, a massive threat to your team (Earth Power doesn't 2HKO a fully SpD set). I would also consider running a Swords Dance set on Talonflame, since this lets you take advantage of Mega-Sableye, (as well as Mew) more, and you also get to run reliable recovery so you can switch into it more often (Watch out for Foul Play sets though).

As for other weaknesses : CM Mega Slowbro looks really, really threatening for your team. In fact, you'll probably have a hard time against physical walls in general, but a lot of them are broken by Gallade+Sharp so it's mostly this one. There are a few good counters to this set, finding one that fits your team is kinda tricky though. Calm Mind Unaware Clefable could work well, you actually need Calm Mind on the Unaware variant to beat it without getting PP stalled. You can also run Magic Guard+Calm Mind+Stored Power, but you need to respond to it pretty fast so it's not as good an answer. If you use it, you should use it over Talonflame since that already covers you perfectly vs Sableye and opposing Clefable, but it does make you even weaker to MGardevoir so make sure to run Jirachi alongside it if you do that. Nasty Plot Celebi, Mew, Tail Glow Manaphy are all solid answers to it, it all boils down to what you can fit on your team and what you prefer using.

Oh, and this is just a small nitpick, but you should run 44 Speed EVs on Rotom-W. This lets you outspeed Jolly Azumarill, and although it is rare, 44 less defense EVs really does not matter.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower / Heal Bell / Stealth Rock (depending on your team's needs)
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)