Online Competition Tiny Tourney [NOW ON SHOWDOWN]

The next online competition has been announced. The Tiny Tourney! 4v4 Doubles with only Pokemon 3'03' or less permitted! Also the only way to obtain Loppunite, Gardevoirite, and the Galladite, so definitely worth entering!

Sign-Up Period
Wednesday, June 14, 2017, at 00:00 UTC, through Thursday, June 22, 2017, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, June 23, 2017, at 00:00 UTC, through Sunday, June 25, 2017, at 23:59 UTC

Participation Gift
Qualified participants in the tiny tourney Online Competition will receive a Galladite, a Gardevoirite, and a Lopunnite Mega Stone. To qualify, players must complete at least three battles.

Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born 2002 or later
Masters Division: Born 2001 or earlier
• Junior/Senior Division players are limited to playing between 6 A.M. and 11 P.M., based on the easternmost time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
July 2017 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Double Battle format.
• Eligible Pokémon are restricted to National Pokédex No. 001 through 801, excluding Pokémon over 1 meter (3'03") tall, all Mythical Pokémon, and some Legendary Pokémon. A complete list of Eligible Pokémon will be available on the tiny tourney Online Competition page after registration begins.
• Mega Stones are not allowed.
• Items are allowed, but Trainers may not have duplicate items in their Battle Team.
• Register four to six of your Pokémon to your Battle Team.
• All Pokémon in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Four of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Team will be chosen to battle in each match.
• A 10-minute time limit for each player will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. When a player’s time limit expires, that player will lose the game.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select four Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 45 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made their selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• Additional details will be available on the tiny tourney Online Competition page after registration begins.

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
• The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birthdate information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link of all the Pokemon you can use for the Competition. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...ght#0.2700.22_-_0.2708.22_.280.0_m_-_0.2_m.29

Notable Picks: Alolan Muk, Chandelure, Kartana, Mimikyu, Lake Guardians, Ribombee, Klefki, Wishiwashi, Eeveelutions, Toxapex, Swellow, Lycanroc, Dugtrio, Porygon-Z, Porygon2, Doublade, Azumarill, KlinkKlang, Frogadier, Galvantula, Masquerain, Escavilier, Marowak, Omastar, and Ferrothorn.

Finally Lopunnite! But where's Altarianite!? Seriously, Gamefreak, screw you until you release Mega Altaria!

I made a list based off your link for future reference with what I think are the (best) eligible 'mons.

Comfey
Klefki
Ribombee
Wishiwashi
Mimikyu
Rotom
Durant
Carbink
Pyukumuku
Minior
Togedemaru
Kartana
Pachirisu
Qwilfish
Sableye
Cinccino
Togetic (eviolite)
Shuckle
Porygon2
Mawile
Munchlax (eviolite)
Duosion (eviolite)
Amoonguss
Klinklang
Alolan Raichu
Dugtrio (regular+alola)
Trapinch (Trick Room, perhaps?)
Excadrill
Whimsicott
Gourgeist-Small/Average
Toxapex
Azumarill
Shedinja
Primeape
Eeveelutions
Galvantula
Doublade
Aromatisse
Slurpuff
Lycanroc-Midday
Sneasel
Roserade
Gastrodon
Mismagius
Honchkrow
Porygon-Z
Bruxish
Muk-Alola
Marowak-Alola
Tangela(eviolite)
Omastar
Spiritomb
Ferrothorn
Reuniclus
Escavalier
Chandelure
Diggersby
Shiinotic
Heliolisk
Mesprit
Uxie
Azelf
Masquerain

Looks like Trick Room is gonna be the way to go with all the slow, bulky things we got, with P2 potentially being the best of the bunch considering the only eligible Fighting Type is Primeape.

Last edited:
I made a list based off your link for future reference with what I think are the (best) eligible 'mons.

Comfey
Klefki
Ribombee
Wishiwashi
Mimikyu
Rotom
Durant
Carbink
Pyukumuku
Minior
Togedemaru
Kartana
Pachirisu
Qwilfish
Sableye
Cinccino
Togetic (eviolite)
Shuckle
Porygon2
Mawile
Munchlax (eviolite)
Duosion (eviolite)
Amoonguss
Klinklang
Alolan Raichu
Dugtrio (regular+alola)
Trapinch (Trick Room, perhaps?)
Excadrill
Whimsicott
Gourgeist-Small/Average
Toxapex
Azumarill
Shedinja
Primeape
Eeveelutions
Galvantula
Doublade
Aromatisse
Slurpuff
Lycanroc-Midday
Espeon
Sneasel
Roserade
Gastrodon
Mismagius
Honchkrow
Porygon-Z
Bruxish
Muk-Alola
Marowak-Alola
Tangela(eviolite)
Omastar
Spiritomb
Ferrothorn
Reuniclus
Escavalier
Chandelure
Diggersby
Shiinotic
Heliolisk
Mesprit
Uxie
Azelf
Masquerain

Looks like Trick Room is gonna be the way to go with all the slow, bulky things we got, with P2 potentially being the best of the bunch considering the only eligible Fighting Type is Primeape.
Wow, there's a lot of things I didn't see before. I wanted to try the Dancer Combo with Orriccorio and Ribombee, but you have a point, TR could be very strong in this metagame.

Quickly looking over the list of mons, this is the sort of stuff I'd look out for.
Stuff vaguely ordered in perceived viability (from no play obviously)
Setters: Porygon2, Reuniclus, Chandelure, Porygon-Z, Mimikyu, Mesprit, Misdreavus, Gothorita, Kecleon, Uxie, Klinklang, Gourgeist-Av, Comfey
Abusers: Torkoal, Escavalier, Sylveon, Marowak(-A), Wishiwashi, Doublade
Sand
Setters: Hippopotas
Abusers: Excadrill
Sun
Setters: Torkoal
Abusers: Chandelure, Tangela, Leafeon, Weepinbell, Ivysaur (not really anything good)
Hail
Setters: Vulpix-A, Snover
Abuser: Glaceon, Porygon-Z (Blizzard z-conversion)
Rain
Setters: Rain Dance only ;_;
Abusers: Omastar
Could be worth it for Oma
Boost: Azumarill (Belly Drum), Linoone (Belly Drum), Muk-A (Curse), Porygon-Z (Z-Conversion), Sylveon (Calm Mind), Eevee (Evoboost), Omastar (Shell Smash)
Support:
Togedemaru & Raichu (Fake Out, Encore, Lightning Rod),
Amoonguss (Redirection, Sleep, Anti-TR),
Clefairy (Redirection, Friend Guard, Heal Pulse),
Togetic (Redirection, a little speed control),
Jumpluff (Redirection, Sleep, fast),
Parasect (Redirection, Sleep, Wide Guard, Anti-TR, Dry Skin)
Just from things not already mentioned:
Damage
Fast: Kartana, Azelf, Sneasel, Hawlucha, Espeon, Jolteon, Primape, Bruxish
not fast: Magneton, Diggersby, Vaporeon
Tanky stuff: Ferrothorn, Mudbray
And then Umbreon as a decently bulky mon which can use Snarl a lot

Last edited:
Totally going to use Trick Room in this competition for it has, by far, the best Pokemon thanks to the abusers being generally tiny. (Also, I'd add Ferrothorn to the abusers list for its access to Curse and how deceptively strong its Gyro Balls are, alongside its Power Whip. With no need for hazards, it has an excuse to go offensive)

Another thing that 'could' have any use is Sash Alolan Vulpix to set up Aurora Veil and pave way for one of the tiny glass cannons.

This is a really cool competition imo because it limits the mons that can be used by a super arbitrary rule that makes some stuff really good that otherwise sucks. I feel like stuff such as Bruxish, Heliolisk, Magcargo, and Durant could shine in this competition when they otherwise wouldn't. Looking at the full list of mons that can be used I noticed that the only fire types we have (that are decent) are Magcargo, Flareon, Alolan-Marowak, Chandelure, and Torkoal (no I didn't miss Pansear it just sucks). I assume that due to kartana and ferrothorn being in this meta fire types would be very common to counter them, seeing how they are very potent at their respective roles. I also speculate that Mimikyu will be a top tier threat due to the lack of stuff that hard counters it. That will cause Excadrill to rise in popularity to outspeed with scarf and KO.

This brings me to this little core that could be a potent threat to the meta:

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Magcargo @ White Herb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Protect

So we have here a nifty sand core with the abusers being Excadrill with sand rush and Magcargo getting a nice spdef boost. Groundium Z is used to ohko stuff like Torkoal and Kartana, along with hitting most pokemon pretty hard, especially because there is a huge lack of Levitate users or flying types. The core also includes magcargo to really nail ferrothorn (ohko on max spdef ferro w/o a boost). Magcargo also capitalizes on the lack of other better fire types to take it's place. The additional special defense from sandstorm really helps out Magcargo with its abillity to set up a shell smash, giving it a pseudo eviolite. Besides Magcargo this tries to emulate common sand cores that are found commonly in battle spot. Another option is to run scarf Excadrill with mold breaker over sand rush to bluff sand rush, however on a sand team the set listed above is most likely the optimal play. Also don't expect this core to be very good: it NEEDS multiple ground resists/immunities because it gets trounced by opposing ground attacks.

Quickly looking over the list of mons, this is the sort of stuff I'd look out for.
Stuff vaguely ordered in perceived viability (from no play obviously)
TR Abusers: Wishiwashi
Do you know if the tournament counts Wishiwashi as applicable? Because in its Schooling form, I think it's a lot larger than 1 Meter. I really hope it's okay, beacuse my Physical TR Wishiwashi is almost ready :P, it would be fun to get some competitive play out of him.

Do you know if the tournament counts Wishiwashi as applicable? Because in its Schooling form, I think it's a lot larger than 1 Meter. I really hope it's okay, beacuse my Physical TR Wishiwashi is almost ready :P, it would be fun to get some competitive play out of him.
I'm pretty sure it'll be usable. Since the transformation is in battle and these restrictions are set out of battle. It's a cool mon that I think deserves more usage than I've currently seen from it in BSS and VGC, looking forward to see what people make of it here.

Well, it could be checked by downloading the rules and seeing if it gets rejected.

But it should be usable as it changes in-battle.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awesome, tournament starts in time for me to get back from my camping trip!

Anyways, Porygon2 sounds really frightening to me in this format, since Primeape is the only usable Fighting-type. Makes me wonder if there's gonna be a lot of Toxic flying around!

Any partners to complete the FWG core with Kartana and Alolan Marowak (due to no Arcanine)? Having no Tapu Fini around makes things harder.

Any partners to complete the FWG core with Kartana and Alolan Marowak (due to no Arcanine)? Having no Tapu Fini around makes things harder.
The first thing that pops on my head is Vaporeon (1.0m).

There's also Gastrodon.

The three Lake Guardians will certainly be a viable asset since they're the only Legendary Pokemon in this competition, though I'd imagine that will only establish more priority for the likes of Alolan Muk, Mimikyu, Umbreon and Chandelure. However, I for one would like to take a moment to appreciate that Game Freak has allowed Lord Helix to become a viable member of the meta-game in this competition ... if only Politoad was a tad smaller and Trick Room abuse wouldn't destroy Shell Smash users.

Something I expect to be incredibly powerful is teams based around Extreme Evoboost. With a limited number of mons to take it on, I expect it to easily be able to sweep through teams that don't have Haze. The most notable recipient, however, will definitely be Espeon, since it's got STAB Stored Power, good SpA and Speed, and is immune to Roar and Whirlwind due to Magic Bounce.

Oh this sounds adorable. Vaporeon is rather good for whoever brought it up earlier; strong Muddy Water and Waterium-Z gives you a nasty nuke too. Defense is a joke but eh, TR Vaporeon could be comical.
Roserade, Alolan Muk, Diggersby, Lake Trio (literally my fave trio, Mespy for life), Togetic, Ferrothorn, Reuniclus, lots of good looking stuff at a glance.
Mega Stones alone are all worth it, think of the fun soon to be had on Battle Spot.

One other mon that I think is worth considering is Beheeyem. At a glance, it's just discount Reuniclus with lower defenses and slightly more speed. But it has something Reuniclus doesn't: Telepathy. This allows your partners to freely spam spread moves, such as Wishiwashi's Surf, Porygon2/-Z's Discharge, and Swellow's Boomburst. It additionally has the same Special Attack and similar movepool, so I believe it it can definitely be considered to be paired with spread move users.

One other mon that I think is worth considering is Beheeyem. At a glance, it's just discount Reuniclus with lower defenses and slightly more speed. But it has something Reuniclus doesn't: Telepathy. This allows your partners to freely spam spread moves, such as Wishiwashi's Surf, Porygon2/-Z's Discharge, and Swellow's Boomburst. It additionally has the same Special Attack and similar movepool, so I believe it it can definitely be considered to be paired with spread move users.
It also has ally switch.

Looks like a fun competition! What do you guys think about perish trap? The format lacks a lot of strong nuke and support options that would otherwise give it issues, and a lot of the format will be bulky anyways (P2/Eviolite mons).

I was thinking of something like this:

Dugtrio @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Protect

Azumarill @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sap Sipper
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Encore
- Protect

Gothorita @ Eviolite
Ability: Shadow Tag
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Scraggy @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Detect

Marowak-Alola @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
- Flare Blitz
- Perish Song
- Rest
- Protect

Reactions: Jio
My first thought was to use Rotom-H with Gastrodon. I used that combo a few years ago and had great success with it. I think Gastro is gonna be a great water type. Just gotta protect it against Toxic, but if you do that I think it'll cause some matchup nightmares

What are your plans on dealing with Ferrothorn? Fire types is an obvious answer, but I want more than one way to deal with it, otherwise I'm FORCED to bring Rotom-H every time I see Ferro and I'm forced to play predictably around it. I can't find many good fighting types. Hawlucha is good but awkward to use and needs smart/specific team building around it. It kinda leaves me with either doubling up on Fire types or using coverage moves like Superpower Azu, HP Fire Roserade etc...

When it comes to redirection... what would the suggested spread for Clefairy be here?

What are your plans on dealing with Ferrothorn? Fire types is an obvious answer, but I want more than one way to deal with it, otherwise I'm FORCED to bring Rotom-H every time I see Ferro and I'm forced to play predictably around it. I can't find many good fighting types. Hawlucha is good but awkward to use and needs smart/specific team building around it. It kinda leaves me with either doubling up on Fire types or using coverage moves like Superpower Azu, HP Fire Roserade etc...
Ferrothorn will be such a glaring defensive threat that it could play around you with Protect.

But the good news is, Kartana and Porygon2 will also be big things to take account for, so it's not that you have to run something specific to deal with it (as outside of Fire-types not called Torkoal or Marowak -or things like Shell Smash Magcargo in the sun to break through Porygon2-, what works vs both will work vs Ferro).

(Trick could work BTW)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)