Tips and Tricks: HGSS

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok so we need to include some of HGSS tricks and tips that can be used. so some help would be appreciated and screen shots are always great.

Milking Kurt for Apricorn Balls.

To gain more Apricorn Balls from Kurt faster, simply follow these steps.

• Hand over the Apricorns for the appropriate Ball you wish for; Kurt can only make one type of ball, but can produce more than one at once (limit to how many is yet to be determined).
  • Save in front of Kurt's house.
  • Turn your DS clock off and back on, set the time to 23:59, and load up the game immediately.
  • Let the day pass in-game (23:59-00:00).
  • Enter the house and receive your Poke Balls. Repeat as often as you like.

Speeding up the Process of Happiness based evolution and Increasing Beauty

Everyday, Daisy Oak gives out massages from 3 PM to 4 PM, which increases the Pokemon's happiness, at the Oak house in Kanto.

Big Brother gives out haircuts on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in the Underground Market in Goldenrod.

Little Brother gives out haircuts on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday in the Underground Market in Goldenrod.

There is an extra bonus of getting these haircuts and massages besides happiness. Its Beauty condition will increase by 32. It only takes eight days to reach the max amount. You can manipulate the time to max this out in a couple minutes. This is an easy way to evolve Feebas.

For more info on the Process check out the DPP Tips and Tricks Guide http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/dpp_tips

Free Pokemon

Togepi - You get the Togepi Egg from one of Elm's assistants in Violet City's PokeMart after you defeat Falkner and exit the gym.
Spearow - You receive Spearow from Gate Keeper Randy, posted at the gate north of Goldenrod City.

Shuckle - After defeating Chuck's gym on Cianwood Island, you are able to receive Shuckle from a man in the house south from the Pokemon Gym.

Eevee - After talking with Bill at Ecruteak City, come back to Goldenrod City and visit his house, which is at the southwest portion of the city. There, you will receive Eevee from Bill.
Tyrogue - When you get to the end of Mt. Mortar through the middle entrance of Route 42, you will face the Karate King. After you defeat him and you have open space in your party, the Karate King will give you Tyrogue.
Dratini - To obtain an ExtremeSpeed Dratini, after conquering the 8th Gym, enter the Dragon's Den and proceed to the rear of the hut. Enter the hut and you will be quizzed by elders. Answer in this fashion 1. top 2, top 3, bottom 4, top 5, middle and a Dratini with ExtremeSpeed will become available to you. To claim your Dratini, exit the dragons den, encounter Claire who will give you a TM, then head back and speak to the elders who will give you your Dratini (if you have an open space in your party).

Kanto starters - You are able to receive one of the Kanto starters from Professor Oak after you obtain all 16 Gym Badges and beat Red.

Hoenn starters - You are able to receive one of these starters from Steven at Silph Co. after obtaining all 16 Gym Badges and beating Red.

HM Slaves

Wooper / Quagsire has access to Waterfall, Surf, Whirlpool, Strength, and Rock Smash which makes it a very versatile HM slave.
Sentret / Furret has access to Cut, Surf, Whirlpool, Strength, and Rock Smash. Sentret is a common Pokemon at the beginning of the game.

Special People

There is a man in the Celadon Game Corner prize building, who will tell you the Hidden Power Type of one of your Pokemon that you choose.

The Effort Ribbon Man is located in a house in Blackthorn City.

The IV man is located in the Battle Tower Building.

The woman that checks how happy your Pokemon are is located in a house to the right of the radio tower in Goldenrod City.

To learn why these people are important check the DPP Tips and Trick Guide http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/dpp_tips

Days of the Week People

Monday -Can get a Sharp Beak the first time and a Alert Ribbon
every other time by talking to Monica on Route 40.

Tuesday -Can get a TwistedSpoon the first time and a Shock Ribbon
every other time by talking to Tuscany on Route 29.

Wednesday -Can get a Black Belt the first time and a Downcast
Ribbon every other time by talking to Wesley at the Lake of Rage.

Thursday -Can get a Hard Stone the first time and a Careless
Ribbon every other time by talking to Authur on Route 36.

Friday -Can get a Poison Barb the first time and a Relax Ribbon
every other time by talking to Frieda on Route 32.

Saturday -Can get a Soft Sand the first time and a Snooze Ribbon
every other time by talking to Santos in Blackthorn City.

Sunday -You can get a Magnet the first time and a Smile Ribbon
every other time by talking to Sunny on Route 37.

PokeWalker Tips

If you take a Pokemon that is super effective, resistant, or shares the same typing as the course has (e.g Yellow Forrest: Grass / Ground / Electric, however there are some exceptions to that rule. Certain courses have 1 to 2 random types) the number of steps to get a Pokemon is reduced by .75.

Refreshing Field: Fire, Bug, Flying

Noisy Forest: Fire, Ice, Flying

Rugged Road: Water, Fighting, Ground

Beautiful Beach: Electric, Grass, Dragon

Suburban Area : Fighting, Normal, Psychic

Dim Cave : Water, Dark, Rock

Blue Lake: Grass, Electric, Dragon

Town Outskirts: Normal, Fighting, Ghost

Yellow Forest : Grass, Ground, Electric

Natures

This trick can help you if you don't know what each nature does. The boosted stat will have a red shadow while the decreased stat will have a blue shadow.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sentret is a good HM slave, with Cut, Surf, and Whirlpool, and if it evolves to Furret at level 15 it gets Strength and Rock Smash as well.

Also, I've noticed shards are much more common if you Rock Smash at the Ruins of Alph. Come in from the Route 36 entrance, smash the three rocks right to the left, and go through that little tunnel to two more a little bit farther left and down. It can be repeated by just going back into the entrance house there and going back in.

It seems with a little more looking that the blue and green ones are more common in SoulSilver and the red and yellow ones are more common in HeartGold... It might just be crazy luck on my part but it seems quite pronounced.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think we need the new locations of the IV man, the hidden power man, and the effort ribbon person. If I can look them up before you I will edit this, but at least add it to your todo list.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That isn't true. The Hidden Power man is in the Caledon Game Corner prize building. (They could possibly both be there but I know for a fact that the man in the top right checks Hidden Power. I doubt that they would both be in such a small room though.)

EDIT: This post looks confusing now because Age of Kings edited his post afterwards. He originally said that the IV man was in Celadon Game Corner prize building.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wow, one day I take off I'm a girl in my sig, and I get called a "he" almost immediately.

I confused HP with IV man, you just posted quickly. The HP man is in the prize building, that's why I edited my post.

The Soothe Bell, which gives a bonus to all happiness-increasing events, is universal but still worth mentioning any time the subject of happiness comes up.

Since we're talking about Apricorns, I think it's important to know how to get multiple Apricorns in a short amount of time. Similar to how one milks Kurt for Apricon Balls, all one has to do is set his or her DS Clock to 23:59, wait for the date to roll over, and go to the Route where their desired Apricorn is.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

• Hand over the Apricorns for the appropriate Ball you wish for; (semi-colon) Kurt can only make one type of Ball, but you can produce more than one at once (limit to how many is yet to be determined).
  • Turn your DS off and then back on, and (remove) set the DS time to 23:59, (comma) and load up the game immediately.

Speeding up the Process of Happiness-based Evolutions and Increasing Beauty

Every day, (comma) Daisy Oak gives out massages from 3 PM to 4(space)PM that increases a Pokemon's happiness.

Big Brother (where?) gives out haircuts on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Little Brother (where?) gives out haircuts on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I know that we probably don't know this yet, but maybe we should note and research how much these massages and haircuts increase the happiness.

There is an extra bonus of getting these haircuts and massages besides happiness. Its Beauty condition will increase by 32. It only takes eight days to reach the max amount. You can manipulate the time to max this out in a couple minutes. This is an easy way to evolve Feebas.

Free Pokemon

Togepi - You receive Togepi in an Egg early in the game from Mr. Pokemon.

Is this different in the US versions? I'm pretty sure Elm doesn't give you the Egg.

Spearow
- You receive Spearow from Gate Keeper Randy, posted at the gate north of Goldenrod City.

Shuckle - After defeating Chuck's gym on Cianwood Island, you are able to receive Shuckle from a man in the house south from the Pokemon Gym.

I think that's more precise.

Eevee - After talking with Bill at Ecruteak City, come back to Goldenrod City and visit his house, which is at the southwest portion of the city. There, you will receive Eevee from Bill.

Tyrogue -
When you get to the end of Mt. Mortar through the middle entrance of Route 42, you will face the Karate King. After you defeat him and you have open space in your party, the Karate King will give you Tyrogue.

Dratini
- To obtain an ExtremeSpeed Dratini, after conquering the 8th Gym, enter the Dragon's Den and proceed to the rear of the hut. Enter the hut and you will be quizzed by elders. Answer in this fashion: top 2, (comma) top 3, (comma) bottom 4, (comma) top 5, (comma) middle, (comma) and a Dratini with ExtremeSpeed will become available to you. To claim your Dratini, exit the Dragon's Den, encounter Clair who will give you a TM, then head back and speak to the elders who will give you your Dratini (if you have an open space in you party).

Kanto starters - You are able to receive one of the Kanto starters from Professor Oak after you obtain all 16 Gym Badges and beat Red.

Hoenn starters - You are able to receive one of these starters from Steven at Silph Co. after obtaining all 16 Gym Badges and beating Red.

I'm not sure if Gym Badges are capitalized, but I think it'll look nicer.

HM Slaves

- Wooper
- Sentret

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think it might be worthwhile to mention the patch of grass in the Ruins of Alph that can be accessed via Union Cave since both Pokemon you can catch are useful. You only need Surf to get there. In it, you mostly encounter Natu, and it took me no more than two hours of resetting (this includes the trips there and back) to catch synchronizers of every usable nature. This is better than mass hatching Abra or mass trading your existing synchs, and Natu are the most common synchs in the game. If you bring a tracer it makes the process easier. The other Pokemon you encounter are Smeargle, which are obviously useful in their own way for breeding and such.

Because synchs are very useful for RNG abuse or just capture in general, I think it deserves a mention.

These are the days of the week siblings from CAHowell's guide on GameFAQs:

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
IV man is in the battle tower building, just in case you were still wondering.

Also, hidden power man doesn't tell you the hidden power of just your lead pokemon, you can choose from your party, they don't have to be in front.

Hi Macle. The clock in the Pokewalker is set off of the clock on the Nintendo DS that you use to upload a Pokemon when you take it on a stroll. This is significant because this clock resets your step count every day at Midnight. If you remember to reset this clock before it hits midnight by setting your DS clock back and uploading a Pokemon to the Pokewalker, you can keep your step count high, giving you more chances to catch the rare pokes that appear after 10000 steps, like Surf/Fly Pikachu.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Now that I started playing my English HG, I just figured out that I made an error. You get the Togepi Egg from one of Elm's assistants in Violet City's PokeMart after you defeat Falkner and exit the gym.

EDIT: I don't think you can save it for later to RNG it safely. It seems to be needed to process the story because the Kimono Girl comes after you pick the Egg up.

Now that I started playing my English HG, I just figured out that I made an error. You get the Togepi Egg from one of Elm's assistants in Violet City's PokeMart after you defeat Falkner and exit the gym.

EDIT: I don't think you can save it for later to RNG it safely. It seems to be needed to process the story because the Kimono Girl comes after you pick the Egg up.
Yeah, the one guy that gives you the Miracle Seed won't let you leave until you take the Egg. He keeps telling you that someone is looking for you.

In the pokewalker, if you take a pokemon that is super effective, resistant, or shares the same typing as the course has (e.g Yellow Forrest: Grass / Ground / Electric, However there are some exceptions to that rule. certain courses have 1 to 2 random types) the number of steps to get a pokemon is reduced. For example, the number of steps needed to get a Volt Tackle pikachu is reduced to 3750.

------
Post National seems to have similar types to that of Pre-National (e.g Hoenn Field has the same types as Refreshing Field). Will need to look into the Sinnoh courses if there are any other different types that would reduce the number of pokemon)
------
It seems that courses have a particular type that has similar "subtypes" to the other (Beautiful Beach and Blue Lake for example). Anyway just wanted to throw this out.

EDIT: Also the number of steps are reduced by 0.75, to get the number of steps needed to encounter a say surf chu. You'd need to multiply the regular number of steps by 0.75

so:

Flychu:

Requires 7500 steps with an electric mon

Surfchu:

Requires 7125

Volt Tackle Chu:

Requires 3750 steps

and so on.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey can someone get me screen shots of the following things
- effort ribbon man
- the iv man
- the hidden power man
- Daisy Oak
- The Hair Cut Brothers
- The Woman that checks happiness
- the days of the week people

please

I hope this will be helpful.

Detailed Apricorn listings

By Location (details on the exact location on the route/town/city will be in parentheses)

Johto
Route 29: Grn Apricorn (close to Cherrygrove Town)
Route 30: Grn Apricorn (middle of route), Pnk Apricorn (northeastern area)
Route 31: Blk Apricorn (middle of route)
Route 33: Pnk, Blk Apricorn (southeastern area)
Route 35: Grn Apricorn (Requires Surf, western part of route)
Route 36: Blu Apricorn (close to National Park gate)
Route 37: Red, Blu, and Blk Apricorn (eastern side of route)
Route 38: Wht Apricorn (middle of route)
Route 39: Grn Apricorn (east of MooMoo Farm)
Route 42: Pnk, Grn, and Ylw Apricorns (Requires Cut and Surf, middle of route)
Route 44: Red Apricorn (close to Mahogany Town)
Route 45: Grn Apricorn (southeastern corner, next to a pool of water)
Route 46 Ylw and Grn Apricorn (alcove near Dark Cave entrance)
Azalea Town: Wht Apricorn (next to Kurt's house)
Violet City: Ylw Apricorn (southwestern corner)
TOTAL: 22

Kanto
Route 1: Blk Apricorn (Close to Viridian City, must ledge hop)
Route 2: Pnk Apricorn (South of Diglett Cave entrance)
Route 8: Ylw Apricorn (Close to Lavender Town)
Route 11: Grn Apricorn (Southeastern area of route)
Route 26 : Blu Apricorn (next to house and Ace Trainer)
Fuschia City: Red Apricorn (Western area, requires Cut)
Pewter City: Blu and Wht Apricorn (Northeast of city)

TOTAL: 8

Apricorns by Color: Both regions (Kanto locations will be bolded) (This is probably the most important one, if you can't fit the whole thing into the Tips and Tricks, use only this)
Blk Apricorns: Route 1, 31, 33, 37 (4)
Blu Apricorns: Routes 26, 36, 37, Pewter City (4)
Grn Apricorns: Routes 11, 29, 30, 35, 39, 42, 45, 46 (8)
Pnk Apricorns: Route 2, 30, 33, 42 (4)
Red Apricorns: Route 37, 44, Fuschia City (3)
Wht Apricorns: Route 38, Azalea Town, Pewter City (3)
Ylw Apricorns: Route 8, 42, 46, Violet City (4)
TOTAL: 30

Apricorns as Pokeathlon Prizes: Each will cost 200 Athlete Points.
Blk Apricorns: Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday
Blu Apricorns: Monday, Wednesday, Sunday
Grn Apricorns: Monday, Friday, Saturday
Pnk Apricorns: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Red Apricorns: Monday, Friday, Sunday
Wht Apricorns: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
Ylw Apricorns: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

By Day:
Monday: Red, Blu, Grn Apricorns
Tuesday: Ylw, Pnk, Wht Apricorns
Wednesday: Blu, Pnk, Blk Apricorns
Thursday: Ylw Pnk, Wht Apricorns
Friday: Red, Ylw, Grn Apricorns
Saturday: Grn, Wht, Blk Apricorns
Sunday: Red, Blu, Blk Apricorns

I probably got them all, but if I'm missing a few, feel free to add.

Here's my post in the SQSA thread about the Safari Zone blocks.

Safari Zone question:

So I set a up 18 Grass Blocks in the Marshland area and wait ten days so I can get a Seviper. I also set up 18 Rocky Blocks in the Meadow area, so I can get a Nosepass after 30 days, at the same time. I come back after 10 days and get my Seviper and set up the Marshland with 25 Forrest Blocks so I can Carnivine, Croagunk, and Roselia after 20 days. I come back today (which I don't think has been 20 days since I put those Blocks down) and I'm able to catch Carnivine, Croagunk, and Roselia but I can't seem to get a Nosepass. I think something like this happened in the desert and Wetland areas as well.

So my question is this, do the blocks have to be there for the entire time or does the area just have to be there for the given amount of days and the Pokemon will show up any time after that, as long as the right blocks are there? So there's a possibility that you could leave your Rocky Beach area open for 120 with nothing in it, place the neccesary blocks in it for Gible, and immediately get it. Has this happened to anyone else? I've set up 25 Rocky Blocks in the Wasteland area, so if a Banette comes in 10 days (20+10=30), I'll know for sure.
No one ever answered this, so I'll answer it myself.

Yesterday was the 10th day after I set up the Rocky Blocks in the Marshland area of the Safari Zone and I was able to get a Bannette. Bannette takes 30 days with the blocks to be available, which means that you only have to keep the area open for the given amount of days and you can put the blocks in at any time after that.

Just to be sure I was correct, I put the 25 Forrest Blocks back in the Marshland area and I caught a Carnivine, which I wouldn't have been able to catch until 20 days later, otherwise. This means that someone should be able to place the Rocky Beach area in your Safari Zone when you get the ability to place new areas and get your Gible much earlier.
Also, you should mention something about how you can share you Safari Zone layout with your friends. I'm not sure how it works but you should be able to let it sit there with the right amount of blocks and get the Pokemon that take a really long time like Gible.

Nifty.

You guys should make mention of how you can get the Hoenn Legends in this game after beating Red as well.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I found out that when searching for roamers, if you go between routes via a gatehouse the roamers do not change routes. For the dogs, flying to Violet's nice because you get access to 4 routes (36 and 31 directly, 32 through 36 and Ruins of Alph, and 35 through 36 and National Park). Latias/Latios can be accessed through Saffron, which directly filters to 5, 6, 7, and 8.

I'm almost certain that if you go through National Park, their positions will change once. Going into National Park doesn't change them but going into the other route does. I think the Ruins of Alph might work the same way but I'm not sure because I never tried to go through there while I was trying to capture them. If this is where we should be giving tips on how to catch legendaries, then I can post all of the places that don't make them move that I can remember.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I thought it would be appropriate to do a read through and proofread, great article btw.

ok so we need to include some of HGSS tricks and tips that can be used. so some help would be appreciated and screen shots are always great.

• Hand over the Apricorns for the appropriate Ball you wish for; Kurt can only make one type of ball, but can produce more than one at once (limit to how many is yet to be determined).
  • Turn your DS clock off and back on, set the time to 23:59, and load up the game immediately.
Speeding up the Process of Happiness based evolution and Increasing Beauty

Everyday, Daisy Oak gives out massages from 3 PM to 4 PM, that increases the Pokemon's happiness, at the Oak house in Kanto.

Big Brother gives out haircuts on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in the Underground Market in Goldenrod.

Little Brother gives out haircuts on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday in the Underground Market in Goldenrod.

Free Pokemon

Togepi - You get the Togepi Egg from one of Elm's assistants in Violet City's PokeMart after you defeat Falkner and exit the gym.

Spearow - You receive Spearow from Gate Keeper Randy, posted at the gate north of Goldenrod City.

Tyrogue - When you get to the end of Mt. Mortar through the middle entrance of Route 42, you will face the Karate King. After you defeat him and you have open space in your party, the Karate King will give you Tyrogue.

Dratini - To obtain an ExtremeSpeed Dratini, after conquering the 8th Gym, enter the Dragon's Den and proceed to the rear of the hut. Enter the hut and you will be quizzed by elders. Answer in this fashion 1. top 2, top 3, bottom 4, top 5, middle and a Dratini with ExtremeSpeed will become available to you. To claim your Dratini, exit the dragons den, encounter Claire who will give you a TM, then head back and speak to the elders who will give you your Dratini (if you have an open space in you party).

HM Slaves

- Wooper / Quagsire has access to Waterfall, Surf, Whirlpool, Strength, and Rock Smash which makes it a very versatile HM slave.
- Sentret / Furret has access to Cut, Surf, Whirlpool, Strength, and Rock Smash. Sentret is a common Pokemon at the beginning of the game.

Special People

There is a man in the Celadon Game Corner prize building, who will tell you the Hidden Power Type of one of your Pokemon that you choose.

The Effort Ribbon Man is located in a house in Blackthorn City.

The IV man is located in the Battle Tower Building.

The woman that checks how happy your Pokemon are is located in a house to the right of the radio tower in Goldenrod City.

Days of the Week People

PokeWalker Tips

If you take a Pokemon that is super effective, resistant, or shares the same typing as the course has (e.g Yellow Forrest: Grass / Ground / Electric, however there are some exceptions to that rule. Certain courses have 1 to 2 random types) the number of steps to get a pokemon is reduced by .75.

Wow only one error. Good job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)