ORAS UU To Pimp a Butterfly

To Pimp a Butterfly
Hey what's up guys? I'm Hairy Toenail, a relatively new UU player as far as the tour scene goes, bringing you guys my very first RMT. I don't really have an special ladder rank to attest to my 'skill' unless you count 12 as good, then there you go http://puu.sh/gIndG/39f4be2a2f.png . I originally built this team to use in UULT finals against King UU, and it did really well. So I decided to play around with it a bit more and I really liked how everything worked out, and here it is. Just some fair warning, I'm not that good at wording shit so if anything sounds awkward that's why. Anyway's, let's get into the team.

So as I said before I built this team for King UU in tourney finals, so I decided to build around Mix Aboma with HP Fire which I felt could really do work against him after watching a few replays. This thing is a huge threat to most teams especially with not many people preparing for Mix Snow.

Next I needed a teammate to support Abomasnow's weaknesses: those being fire, steel and fighting. I decided to go with Slowking to fit all those roles as well as be a secondary check to Suicune in case it gets up too many CMs and Aboma can't deal with it.

I looked at my first two members and felt that the team was way too slow for my liking, so I decided to throw in a fast offensive core of LO Hydreigon and Scarf Mienshao. This core is pretty standard and really helps out against a majority of the meta. Hydreigon also acts as a secondary fire check and Stallbreaker with Taunt.

Now I really needed hazard support and a dragon switch in so I decided to use Empoleon, the penguin himself. Also acts as a good Flying switch in which was pretty needed on this team to deal with things like Mega Pidgeot.

Finally, the last member is Crobat. Without this guy, Heracross would just toss my team left and right since my only other fighting resist is happens to be weak to bug. It fits really well, also acting as another Grass check so Aboma and Hydreigon don't have to keep switching in to take hits.

Abomasnow @

Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ahh Abomasnow, probably one of my favorite mons in this tier right now. It’s so antimeta with its unique dual STAB and good bulk; it really threatens a ton of teams. Most people atm are opting for SD Snow so I decided to throw a curve ball at them and try out mix snow. I do miss the ability to set up with SD Snow, but being able to pressure teams with a power STAB Blizzard that never misses is fantastic as well. Obligatory STAB moves are there and prio ice shard so this team doesnt get run over by mence. HP Fire is there to hit things like Doublade and Forry which are annoying to deal with. Max Special Attack to hit hard with Blizzard and Giga Drain and enough speed to outspeed Base 50s after megaing. Rest is thrown in HP to give it some bulk.

Slowking @

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Obligatory fire/steel/fighting check to support Abomasnow that also serves as a Suicune check and wincon against bulkier teams. This thing is really fucking good, not much else I can say, the set is fairly standard. Max defense and HP to eat shit from things like Aero which is a real pain to deal with, especially if it has EQ. Scald is scald, click and burn things and Psyshock so you can actually beat Suicune in a CM war.

Hydreigon @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Enter Hydreigon, a fantastic wallbreaker with good spammable dual STABs. Standard spread of max Spa and speed to hit hard and fast. Taunt is there to beat things like Vaporeon which are annoying since I don’t want my Slowking or Aboma burned. Obviously I don’t want this burned either, but if I had to pick between the three, it would be this. And then there’s roost to heal up once I’ve taken enough of a beating. You could run Superpower over taunt to beat things like Blissey/Umbreon more easily if you like and change to a hasty nature.

Mienshao @

Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Obligatory fighting type so this team doesn’t get boned by Snorlax. Also serves as a Scarfer and wallbreaker since Reckless HJK hits extremely hard. This set is fairly standard as well, HJK to spam late game and then miss and cry, U-Turn cause free momentum, Knock Off because it’s gen 6, and Stone Edge for back up insurance against Mence and to hit Crobat as well.

Empoleon @

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

The hazard control of the team. Mr. Pingu says fuck you to Mega Pidgeot and sets up Rocks and Defogs to support the rest of the team. It’s also my only Dragon resist on the team so I have to keep it healthy to be able to eat Dracos from Hydreigon and the like. The defense EVs may seem odd, but they do serve a purpose. They allow you to always live non banded Jolly Krook’s EQ so that you can get a move off guaranteed against it, whether it be a Torrent boosted Scald or Rocks. Roar is there so things can’t set up in my face. You can run Ice Beam there if you like so that you can hit Grass and Dragon types for better damage.

Crobat @

Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

The fighting check and secondary Stall breaker. Crobat is still really good despite Mega Aero being everywhere. It has amazing typing letting it eat fighting hits from things like Heracross and Mienshao. I do miss the passive recovery of Black Sludge at times, but since I’m not relying on this guy to defog as much I went a more offensive route and decided to put Sky Plate and just hit hard as fuck. The 212 speed is to outspeed Adamant gatr at +1 and Max Attack so that I can get the most out of the Sky Plate boost. Rest goes in HP to get a bit of bulk.
Conclusion
So yeah, I really like using this team. It's fun to use and does fairly well in the current meta. I wish I could have fit a ground type so I don't get bopped by volt turn, but not every team can have everything it wants and I really like how all the members work with each other. Sorry again for my poor wording, I'm not that good at this haha. Thank you for reading!
Shououts
Too lazy to write individual ones, but shoutouts to my buddies in CT and UU, you know who you are! Special thanks to DaAwesomeDude1 for helping me with formatting and getting sprites.
Replays
Don't have too many on me right now, but I'll edit more in if I get some good ones.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-217614182 vs King UU in UULT finals.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-219206465 vs my fren YABO who I sniped on the ladder, kinda haxy, but it'll show you more of how the team works.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey man, really like this team! Very solid and runs some cool underrated mons like Mixed Snow and Slowking.

If you want something to help deal with Volt-Turn, maybe Krookodile would be worth considering over Hydreigon? It provides you with a Volt Switch immunity and a way to take Chandelure out of the game with Pursuit as it greatly threatens the rest of your team. I don't really think the added Water and Grass weaknesses matter much as you already have those two well covered, and as for Taunt I reckon Crobat by itself is enough to break stall mostly on its own anyway. I think the CB set would work pretty well, giving you a powerful wallbreaker who hits hard right off the bat like Hydreigon although on the physical side instead. It also helps to weaken stuff like Gligar and Florges to put them in range for Mienshao to clean up late-game. If you do want to retain Hydreigon's stallbreaking capabilities though you could use a Dread Plate set instead with Knock Off / Taunt / Earthquake / Pursuit as the moves, it's up to you.

Other than that I really can't think of anything else, it's a very well crafted team. Well done and gl!

Edit: Just another small thing I thought of, you currently have no way to hit Fairies super-effectively. Although that isn't a big issue in itself considering you have Crobat, I just think having a back-up option for them would be good. So I would recommend trying out Poison Jab on Shao over Stone Edge to check Fairies in a pinch. You said Stone Edge is mainly for Mence but honestly it doesn't seem like you have too much problem with it as Snow is able to revenge it easily and it can't really set up on anything.

Last edited:
Cool team but I see a huge weakness to SD Luke. If it can get it on Mienshao's Stone Edge/Knock Off or after a stat drop from Hydreigon, or even get a free switch via u turn or volt switch onto Slowking, it destroys your whole team after one Swords Dance with a pretty standard Crunch / E-Speed / CC / SD set.

Just something to keep in mind. Not sure what to change, but I bet you could tweak Crobat's spread to be able to take a +2 ESpeed after rocks and revenge with BB. The only mon who can take a +2 ESpeed after rocks (Hydreigon) fails to OHKO back, although it does weaken it quite a bit with DM so you can life orb stall.

Reactions: HT
Cool team but I see a huge weakness to SD Luke. If it can get it on Mienshao's Stone Edge/Knock Off or after a stat drop from Hydreigon, or even get a free switch via u turn or volt switch onto Slowking, it destroys your whole team after one Swords Dance with a pretty standard Crunch / E-Speed / CC / SD set.

Just something to keep in mind. Not sure what to change, but I bet you could tweak Crobat's spread to be able to take a +2 ESpeed after rocks and revenge with BB. The only mon who can take a +2 ESpeed after rocks (Hydreigon) fails to OHKO back, although it does weaken it quite a bit with DM so you can life orb stall.
Hey, thanks for the rate man, it's true that SD Crunch Luke does a ton of damage to my team if it gets +2, but I honestly haven't felt threaten by a Luke since it seldom finds opportunities to set up on members of my team. 2 fast taunters, a phaser, HP Fire Aboma, and a potential Scald burn from Slowking really makes it difficult for Luke to get boosts. I have been contemplating switching Crobat to a bulky variant with Acrobatics to handle Heracross better, and now that you pointed out this Crunch Luke weakness I think I might officially change it to that to give my team a better match up vs both. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)