To the Victor goes the Spoils!

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Man oh man has it been a while. The newest tier shift bestowed upon us the she-vulture Mandibuzz, who peaked the interest of bulky team lovers such as myself. Then again, is one pokemon really enough to bring back defensive teams that have been greatly stunted by the 3 RU dropouts before her? May I present to thee...
To the Victor goes the Spoils!
Garbodor @
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
Spikes / Rock Blast / Gunk Shot / Toxic Spikes
My trash bag mon starts the team off with its loads of entry hazards, and with its great bulk can set them up with ease. Spikes provide excellent residual damage on most of the tier, particularly Rock-resistant pokemon. Rock Blast can break the Subs of Ninjask and Jynx, as well as keeping Scolipede at bay. Toxic Spikes is pretty strong in this round of NU, since while Scolipede is introduced to the tier, they haven't been popping up too much, while Skuntanks have all but disappeared, save for a few players who choose to use Skunk over a faster Pursuit user to take down Jynx for some reason. Rocky Helmet can punish U-Turners consistently, especially when considering Garbo's bulk and resistance, or can combine with Aftermath to go out with a powerful bang that cleaves off ~45%. There are a good number of options for my final attack, but I went with Gunk Shot to better counter Grass-types and nail cocky Roselia hard.​
EVs maximize physical bulk, with a few EVs invested in speed in case of max speed Golem. The last attack could've been Pain Split for recovery, Clear Smog to stop Bulk Up Gurdurr or Coil Eelektross, or Seed Bomb to hit Ground-types.​

Seismitoad @
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
Scald / Earthquake / Toxic / Knock Off
If you don't have a good switch-in to Water-types, you're gonna have a bad time. Seismitoad is immensely useful for its ability to check or outright counter most Water, Fire and Electric types. It has well rounded bulk and its sole weakness makes it hard to bring down in one fell swoop. It has Scald, which not only aims to burn but can also scare out Water-weak pokemon, most of which happen to be slower than Toad. Earthquake is chosen over Earth Power primarily for Jynx and other physically frail pokemon such as Roselia and Gardevoir. Toxic allows Toad to defeat other walls that would otherwise outlast Toad with recovery. Knock Off is a handy move that removes the opponent's item, either weakening their damage output or defensive potential.​
The EVs are specially defensive so that Toad can hold off Jynx, Charizard, Zebstrika and other relevant special threats, but a physically defensive spread can also work due to Toad's tendency to face off against Ground-types, deals with SD Samurott better, or not be OHKOed by CB Sawk's Close Combat. Seismitoad could also be the Stealth Rocker of the team.​

Misdreavus @
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Perish Song
The spinblocker of NU, Misdreavus has already made a name for itself, being able to take some of NU's most dangerous physical attacks and still stand at the end of it, so it's certainly not budging against any of the spinners without a fight. Its moves are fairly standard, Shadow Ball is STAB and provides good reliable damage against the spinners and other threats; Foul Play isn't needed as my team isn't troubled by Normal-types or more precisely already occupied by a fellow teammate. Will-o-Wisp burns the opponent, and is Missy's greatest selling point as both a physical wall and a spinblocker. Pain Split can recover Missy while damaging the opponent, and with good timing can make Missy very frustrating to bring down. Perish Song is the eye-catcher of this set, as it is used to end games, force out seemingly unstoppable threats within 3 turns, and can even play some mindgames with the spinners: risk death by spinning against Missy's switch-out or flee to spin another day?​
EVs are also standard, with the speed intended to outpace Rampardos and tie with speedcreeping Missys :p. Missy's other support options such as Taunt or Heal Bell could be used over Perish Song, but those roles have already been filled for the most part.​

Lickilicky @
Trait: Own Tempo
Careful Nature
Wish / Heal Bell / Protect / Dragon Tail
This salivating tub of lard use its goofy-looking demeanor to disguise how truly difficult it is to bring this thing down with unboosted, non-Fighting attacks. It has massive bulk, good recovery and offers cleric support, meaning Lickilicky can fit snugly into defensive teams and provide tremendous support. The WishTect combo can either be used to heal itself or its teammates, Protect also being a good bonus move to scout Choice items or gain additional Leftovers recovery. Heal Bell allows Licky and its teammates to shrug off status, provided Licky doesn't get put to sleep or, you know, frozen >_> Dragon Tail is very weak, but when coupled with entry hazards the damage can really stack up, to the point where it can easily outdamage its STAB.​
Maximum special bulk because taking physical hits is less ideal for Licky given its weakness to Fighting. Body Slam could replace Dragon Tail as it can break Subs unlike Dragon Tail and paralyze (may conflict with Toxic Spikes). Body Slam also allows Lickilicky to stave off Riolu's attempts to effortlessly beat me, as Dragon Tail goes after Roar, meaning Protect won't save me. Riolu teams are harder to pull off nowadays (I should know~), so there's that as consolation.​

Metang @
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant Nature
Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch / Toxic / Stealth Rock
A Jynx check is absolutely crucial for a stall team to have, otherwise the big-lipped bastard would threaten to Kiss, Plot and freeze me into pathetic submission. Metang serves as my anti-Jynx poke and Normal-Flying resist, which is invaluable for stall to have. It is also my SR setter, as it can easily find opportunities to set them up. Meteor Mash is Metang's strongest move, and the potential for an Attack raise can deter most setup attempts. Bullet Punch can snipe Jynx before she can move, and can make use of a possible boost from Meteor Mash for a double whammy. Toxic also stops setup, primarily from Musharna, but also wears down pokemon that like to switch in on Metang.​
The Attack EVs, along with an Adamant nature, guarantees the OHKO on Jynx with Bullet Punch, as well as giving Meteor Mash a high chance of breaking +1 Bulk Up Braviary's Substitutes. The other EVs improve its Jynx matchup. Psych Up can be used over Stealth Rock to halt Braviary completely and stand up to Coil Eelektross.​

Mandibuzz (F) @
Trait: Big Pecks
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SDef
Calm Nature
Taunt / Roost / Whirlwind / Foul Play
The newcomer Mandibuzz~ Unfortunately I had to keep her and Garbo as far away from each other as possible as she kept literally picking it off :p, but that's beside the point. Mandibuzz was seen as a glimmer of hope for defensive teams to make their comeback. While the outcome has yet to be seen, Mandibuzz herself has shown excellent results. She takes beatings incredibly well, and possesses the same combination of Taunt and Roost that a fellow bulky Flying-type in Golbat also has. However, Mandibuzz's access to Leftovers and Foul Play are definitely edges over the bat. Taunt + reliable recovery can screw up many defensive pokrmon, and Mandibuzz not only isn't an exception, but one of the best practicioners of this strategy thanks to crazy bulk and decent speed. Whirlwind is there for Sub-boosters in case Lickilicky ran into trouble, and can phaze them out to rack up entry hazard damage. STAB Foul Play allows Mandibuzz to potentially hit hard with zero investment while OHKOing Golurk (sound familiar?), and unlike Liepard, isn't disadvantaged against bulky pokemon who take pittance from Foul Play thanks to her bulk, recovery and phazing.​
The most complex spread amongst my team, it took me a while to settle for 2 optimal spreads. Both spreads have 248 HP for maximum HP that does not trigger the KO from 5 switchins to Stealth Rock. The above spread has 116 Defense to survive a super effective Choice Banded Iron Fist Ice Punch from Golurk after SR (that's pretty insane actually), the rest thrown into Special Defense for bulk, with Calm to reinforce it. However, another spread that can outrun all non-Jolly Golurks can be used instead. With an Bold nature, 100 EVs can be saved for defense, and 56 of those go into Speed, resulting in a spread of Impish @ 248 HP / 16 Def / 188 SDef / 56 Spe. This results in lesser special bulk though. Toxic could go over Whirlwind since Toxic + Taunt + Roost is such an evil combo against defensive teams.​
And there you have it~ If you like it, feel free to import and leave a like down below!
Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Knock Off

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Impish Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Perish Song

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Dragon Tail

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Big Pecks
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SDef
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Foul Play

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey bud, and nice team you got there!

I honestly don't have very much to comment on, but regarding Riolu teams as you've briefly mentioned when talking about Lickilicky, the thing about them is that most of the bulky options of hazard users that are commonly placed on those kind of teams usually have a easy time stacking up hazards on your team, and due to your lack of immediate offensive presence it can find a lot of opportunities to phaze out your team with impunity because Lickilicky won't be able to break its Substitute when invested properly. If you find Dragon Tail to be a necessity, a nice alternative that you can go about handling this situation to be a little more favorable for you is that you allow Misdreavus to form the role of the cleric for the team with Heal Bell, so that Lickilicky can freely run Body Slam when necessary. This team doesn't particularly have much problems with bulky boosting sweepers enough to desperately warrant Perish Song anyways due to your myriad of ways of beating them 1v1, and Misdreavus doesn't cause as much of a momentum loss for this team because its faster and has the utility of crippling stuff with Will-o-Wisp. If phazing with Lickilicky is not as necessary as keeping your team healthy with constant Wish Passing, Audino can be a nice alternative since it can break Riolu's subs as well and has a much easier time of passing Wishes against teams that utilize a lot of hazards thanks to Regenerator, which can definitely be more helpful on the long run. It's up to you of course.

Code:
Suggested changes (optional):
Lickilicky: Body Slam > Heal Bell
Misdreavus: Heal Bell > Perish Song

OR

Audino @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Double-Edge

Punchshroom

I like those changes Dell, though it's worth mentioning that I actually do have trouble with bulky boosters, or just have difficulty KOing the last pokemon, enough to warrant the use of Perish Song. Also retesting Clear Smog on Garbo.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i'd strongly consider increasing the speed on your mandibuzz to the spread you suggested to outrun adamant golurk, plus a bit more for speedcreeping opposing misdreavus because WoW + taunt missy can be incredibly frustrating for this team to handle. i also personally like taunt + toxic on it more, especially since you do have misdreavus and metang to help handle duosion and musharna. otherwise honestly i think this is a really pretty solid team; something like braviary / swellow + spikes could also be really annoying since you really only have metang as a full counter (and sort of garbodor?) and everything else takes a ton from them, but there's not much you can do about hazards apart from slotting in a spinner which is kinda next to impossible. :[

you can also consider protect > knock off on seismitoad. ultimately it's personal preference, but i loved having the extra opportunity for recovery + toxic dmg, and it gives you another possible way to handle riolu (though honestly the best way to beat that imo is going to be getting down tspikes asap and trying to poison it). dunno if clear smog is going to be worth your time beyond just beating gurdurr; i always ran toxic separately in that moveslot because everything that you'd want to hit with it or switch into garbodor is also screwed over by toxic. i'd agree that gunk shot is a good idea for rose alone, since again hazards seem to be the biggest pain, but i suppose it's up to personal preference.

neato team tho. :>

Punchshroom

The reason I did not go for more speed is because Misdreavus provides decent backup, though that Mandibuzz spread is handy for more offensive teams who can't afford to have Buzz lose to Golurk. Running enough speed for Missy is kinda ambitious, because 84 Spe EVs can take a hefty chunk out of my bulk (not running a +Def/SDef nature even more so). I'll admit that Missy can be a pain to face, and makes me wish I had some kind of Will-o-Wisp absorber that can take on the ghostie. Taunt + Toxic is certainly an option for Buzz, as it can beat opposing vultures, but Whirlwind is the team's backup plan in case the foe takes advantage of Dragon Tail with Sub.

I find Knock Off to be pretty valuable: Knocking Off Eviolite or Leftovers off problem pokes can/will reduce their longevity, while Knocking Off Life Orb or Choice items can reduce the damage they could do to my team. Protect can scout stuff like Samurott T1 or Choice pokemon though, as are the reasons you mentioned. I actually faced situations where the opponent riskily boosted up on Garbo itself, and I wish I could make them pay then, but for now Gunk Shot can a good chunk to Grass-types.

Thanks! :3

Edit: Wait, it's supposed to be Calm Mandibuzz :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)