Togekiss (Analysis) (GP 2/2)

its my first time please be gentle

[Overview]

<p>Togekiss is everything anyone could want in a Pokemon: nice bulk, a movepool out the wazoo, an amazing base 120 Special Attack stat, two great abilities – and to top it all off, it's affably cute as well. It does possess unfortunate weaknesses to common Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves, but these can be played around. Just run it alongside a partner capable of taking out threats to Togekiss and it will not let you down.</p>

[SET]
name: Follow Me Support
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Thunder Wave / Tailwind
move 4: Protect / Roost
item: Sitrus Berry / Lum Berry / Leftovers
nature: Calm
ability: Serene Grace
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is any Togekiss's user's bread and butter set, and it's not hard to see why. Great defenses combined with Follow Me and Air Slash make it one of the premier supporting Pokemon in VGC, and often makes it the first thing an opponent would want to eliminate. Consequently, Protect is the main option in the last slot, keeping Togekiss alive for an extra turn so its partner can take out the offending Pokemon. Togekiss has many more options for the third slot, but the two listed are probably the picks of the litter. Thunder Wave cripples fast attackers like Latios who would otherwise be problematic, while also forming the infamous ParaFlinch combination. Tailwind is a bit more supportive, allowing Togekiss's team members to outspeed the opponent, as well as speeding up Togekiss to make Air Slash more deadly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A The listed specially defensive EV spread allows Togekiss to take powerful Blizzards and Thunderbolts with HP to spare; alternatively, a Bold nature with 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD can be used to survive powerful Rock Slides or Stone Edges from Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Rhyperior that would otherwise OHKO Togekiss. If you have access to a Togepi from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, Helping Hand is a very viable option, as Follow Me and Helping Hand on the same moveset is surprisingly useful. While you're dabbling in RSE, Body Slam and Softboiled can be used over Thunder Wave and Roost respectively. If you want to cram as much support as you can on Togekiss, you can forgo the third slot's options in favor of moves like Encore, Safeguard, Reflect, and Light Screen. Be careful about doing this, however, as without Roost or Protect, Togekiss tends to go down rather quickly. If you're using Togekiss to help set up Trick Room, be sure to avoid also running clashing moves such as Tailwind and Thunder Wave. Encore is perhaps the most useful replacement, as most teams rely on double Protecting to stall out Trick Room. If all your team needs is Follow Me support, you can consider more offensive options, such as Aura Sphere, Tri-Attack, and Heat Wave.</p>

<p>Without Aura Sphere, Togekiss generally struggles against Rock-types such as Tyranitar. It also can't do much to most Electric-types, especially Thundurus and Zapdos. Terrakion makes a fine partner, taking out said Pokemon in one or two hits while Togekiss directs attacks to itself so Terrakion remains relatively untouched. As previously stated, Wide Guard users make excellent teammates. When running Trick Room, Togekiss enjoys a boosting teammate that can take out problematic Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Bronzong. It is not a good idea to pair Togekiss with a Trick Room user that shares a weakness with it, such as Chandelure, Slowking and Slowbro.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Aura Sphere
move 3: Heat Wave / Tri-Attack
move 4: Trick / Follow Me / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike most Togekiss, this set aims to immediately outrun the opponent and start firing off Air Slashes. Aura Sphere is a great coverage move, especially against Moody Smeargle with a few Evasion boosts, and against Pokemon that resist Air Slash such as Tyranitar. Heat Wave is a great spread move, especially considering the fact that it has a 20% chance to burn a Pokemon, but Tri-Attack gets a STAB boost and has many different effects that are also boosted by Serene Grace. The last slot is generally preferential; Hidden Power Ice hits Dragons such as Garchomp and Dragonite super effectively, which is always handy for a team. Follow Me is again always a good option, and with Choice Scarf, it can stop Fake Out more effectively, though Follow Me isn't the best move to be Choice-locked into. Trick can lock opposing Pokemon into undesirable moves, possibly removing beneficial items like Eviolite and miscellaneous Berries.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Togekiss doesn't have many more offensive options, but Fire Blast can be used over Heat Wave for a little extra power. Since this Togekiss is more offensively inclined, and it might be locked into an unfavorable move from time to time, its teammates should be ready to cater to its needs. Wide Guard users such as Hitmontop, Swampert, and Conkeldurr make great teammates, since they protect Togekiss from Rock Slide and Discharge, and can also take on the hail and sand teams that Togekiss doesn't particularly care for. Choice Scarf Togekiss also enjoys harsh sunlight, but it isn't required.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Togekiss gets Psycho Shift, and as such can use the move alongside Flame Orb, but this is generally better left to more defensive Pokemon such as Cresselia. Sunny Day and Rain Dance can be used to mess up opposing weather teams with an opposite weather, as well as serving as a backup weather inducer. ExtremeSpeed is a powerful priority move that can be used to pick off weakened Pokemon, and is a cool addition to your Togekiss if it somehow finds itself with an extra moveslot. As mentioned in the Follow Me set, Togekiss is more than capable of using Light Screen, Reflect, and Safeguard to support its teammates. Togekiss gets Super Luck via the Dream World, and while this may be somewhat useful if it had any moves with boosted critical hit chances, Togekiss prefers the flinch chance that its other luck-based ability, Serene Grace, grants.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As mentioned before, Electric-types such as Thundurus and Zapdos zap Togekiss right out of the sky with STAB Thunderbolt and Discharge. Tyranitar is a solid check, as are its common partners, Excadrill, Terrakion, and Landorus, though the first three have to be wary of Aura Sphere. Hail-based teams tend to give Togekiss the cold shoulder with STAB 100% accurate Blizzards, negating Follow Me, but have to watch out for Heat Wave.</p>

Aura Sphere and Heat Wave should be slashed in over TWave/Protect, as they can help it hit a menagerie of things that may or may not give it's teamates trouble. I've also seen a Scarf Air Slash Flinch set running around, and you may or may not at least want to mention that possibility.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Togekiss's Dream World ability (Super Luck) has been released via an event, that is male only, over the PGL that the player can pick up on their birthmonth, it doesn't need a Dream World section.

EDIT: samething for your Infernape analysis

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I realize this isn't done yet but Helping Hand should definitely be mentioned at least somewhere; with Togekiss's immunity to Earthquake and excellent bulk, along with Tailwind, it makes an excellent user of the move.

I realize this isn't done yet but Helping Hand should definitely be mentioned at least somewhere; with Togekiss's immunity to Earthquake and excellent bulk, along with Tailwind, it makes an excellent user of the move.
The writer (and reader) should be aware, however, that Togekiss can only learn Helping Hand from Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and as such cannot be used on the same set as any egg moves (dunno if there are any relevant egg moves on Togekiss though).

Wolfey

VGC 2016 Masters Champion
On a tailwind set, 60 percent chance of flinch I wouldnt consider bad especially with paralysis support

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tailwind with paralysis support is superfluous. In addition, this merely changes the flinch chance from 60% to 66%, which is nowhere near noticeable enough to be usable over other items.

• make sure you don't use 'like' where you really mean 'such as'
  • it's Rock-types
  • Smogon uses the serial comma, ie. it's Togepi, Togetic, and Togekiss

other than that, nice work!

remove add comments

[Overview]

<p>Togekiss is everything anyone could want in a Pokemon: nice bulk, a movepool out the wazoo, an amazing base 120 Special Attack stat, two great abilities, and to top it all off, it's cute as well preferential. The main drawbacks are Togekiss's weakness It does possess unfortunate weaknesses to the common Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves, but weaknesses are something almost everything has these can be played around. If you can play around them or have your Just run it alongside a partner capable of taking out whatever Pokemon threatens your threats to Togekiss, it will not let you down bar Air Slash not flinching.</p>

<remove para space>
[SET]
<remove para space>

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is any Togekiss user's bread and butter set, and it's not hard to see why. Great defenses combined with Follow Me and Air Slash make it one of the premier supporting Pokemon in VGC, and often makes it the first thing one an opponent would want off the field taken down. Due to this Consequently, Protect is the main option, keeping Togekiss alive that for a turn so its partner can take out the offending Pokemon. Togekiss has many more options beyond for the third slot, but the two listed are probably the picks of the litter. Thunder Wave cripples fast attackers like Latios who would otherwise be problematic, while also forming the infamous 'ParaFlinch combination. Tailwind is a bit more supportive move, allowing Togekiss's team members to outspeed the opponent, as well as speeding up Togekiss to make Air Slash more deadly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The listed specially defensive EV spread allows Togekiss to take powerful Blizzards and Thunderbolts with HP to spare; alternatively, a Bold nature with 252 HP / 252<space>Def / 4 SpD can be used to survive powerful Rock Slides or Stone Edges from Rock-types like such as Tyranitar and Rhyperior that would otherwise OHKO Togekiss. The current Calm EV spread allows Togekiss to take powerful Blizzards and Thunderbolts with HP to spare. If you have access to a Togepi from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, Helping Hand is a very viable option, as Follow Me and Helping Hand on the same moveset is surprisingly useful. While you're dabbling in the 3rd generation RSE, Body Slam and Softboiled can be used over Thunder Wave and Roost, respectively. If you want to cram as much support as you can on Togekiss as you can, you can forgo the third slot's options in favor of other supportive moves like Encore, Safeguard, Reflect, and Light Screen. Be careful about doing this, however, as without Roost or Protect, Togekiss tends to go down rather quickly. If you're using Togekiss to help set up Trick Room, the third slot should obviously be something that does not help your opponent counter your Trick Room like be sure to avoid also running clashing moves such as Tailwind and Thunder Wave do. Encore is perhaps the most useful, as most teams rely on double Protecting to stall out Trick Room. If all your team needs is Follow Me support, you can use consider preferential more offensive options in the 3rd slot, namely such as Aura Sphere, Tri-Attack, and Heat Wave.</p>

<p>Togekiss Without Aura Sphere, Togekiss generally struggles against Rock-types like such as Tyranitar. and It also can't do much to most Electric-types, namely especially Thundurus and Zapdos. Terrakion makes a fine partner, taking out said Pokemon in one or two hits while Togekiss directs attacks to itself so Terrakion is remains relatively untouched. As previously stated, Wide Guard users make excellent teammates. When running Trick Room, Togekiss enjoys a set-up user boosting teammate that can take out problematic Pokemon like such as Porygon2 and Bronzong., as It is not a good idea to pair it up Togekiss with a Trick Room user that shares its weakness with it, like such as Chandelure, and Slowking/ and Slowbro.</p>

[SET]
<remove para space>
name: Choice Scarf Flincher
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Aura Sphere
move 3: Heat Wave / Tri-Attack
move 4: Trick / Follow Me / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike most Togekiss, this set aims to outrun the opponent and start firing off Air Slashes right off the bat. Aura Sphere is a great coverage move, especially against Moody Smeargle if it happens to get with a few Evasion boosts under its belt, and against Pokemon that resist Air Slash like such as Tyranitar. Heat Wave is a great spread move, especially considering the fact that it has a 20% chance to burn a Pokemon, but Tri-Attack gets a STAB boost and has many different effects that are also boosted by Serene Grace. It may be difficult to obtain a Togekiss with Tri-Attack and good IVs, however. The last slot is generally up in the air preferential; Hidden Power Ice hits Dragons like such as Garchomp and Dragonite super effectively, which is always nice to have handy for a team. Togekiss always has Follow Me to work with Follow Me is again always a good option, and with Choice Scarf, it can stop Fake Out more effectively, though being locked into Follow Me isn't always the best position to put yourself in Follow Me isn't the best move to be Choice-locked into. Trick can lock opposing Pokemon into undesirable moves, possibly removing beneficial items like Eviolite and miscellaneous Berries.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Togekiss doesn't have many more offensive options, but you can run Fire Blast can be used over Heat Wave if you need for a little extra power. Since this Togekiss is more offensively inclined, and it might be locked into an unfavorable move from time to time, its teammates should be ready to cater to its needs. Wide Guard users like such as Hitmontop, Swampert, and Conkeldurr make great teammates; they protecting Togekiss from Rock Slide and Discharge, and can also take on the hail and sand teams that Togekiss doesn't particularly care for. Scarfed Choice Scarf Togekiss also enjoys sun and the absence of buffeting damaging weather, especially if it's running Heat Wave but it isn't required.</p>

<remove para space>
[Other Options]

<p>Togekiss gets Psycho Shift, and as such can use a Flame Orb<space>+<space>Psycho Shift set, but this is generally better left to Pokemon like such as Cresselia. Sunny Day and Rain Dance can be used to mess up opposing weather teams. ExtremeSpeed is a powerful priority move that can be used to pick off weakened Pokemon, and is a cool addition to your Togekiss if it somehow finds itself with and extra moveslot. As mentioned in the Follow Me set, Togekiss is more than capable of using Light Screen, Reflect, and Safeguard, which are very useful if you need extra buffers for your team to support its teammates. Togekiss gets Super Luck via the Dream World, which doubles your chances of getting Critical Hits. While this may be somewhat useful if it had any moves with boosted critical hit chances, Togekiss almost prefers the flinch chance its other luck-based ability, Serene Grace, grants above all else.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As mentioned before, Electric types like such as Thundurus and Zapdos zap Togekiss right out of the sky with STAB Thunderbolt and Discharge. Tyranitar is a solid check, as is are its common partners, Excadrill, Terrakion, and Landorus, though the first three have to be wary of Aura Sphere. Hail-based teams tend to give Togekiss the cold shoulder, firing off with STAB 100% accurate Blizzards, negating Follow Me, but have to watch out for Heat Wave.</p>

GP 1/2

Additions in Blue
Deletions in Red
Comments in Green

[Overview]

<p>Togekiss is everything anyone could want in a Pokemon: nice bulk, a movepool out the wazoo, an amazing base 120 Special Attack stat, two great abilities – and to top it all off, it's affably cute as well. It does possess unfortunate weaknesses to common Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves, but these can be played around. Just run it alongside a partner capable of taking out threats to Togekiss and it will not let you down.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is any Togekiss's user's bread and butter set, and it's not hard to see why. Great defenses combined with Follow Me and Air Slash make it one of the premier supporting Pokemon in VGC, and often makes it the first thing an opponent would want to eliminate[/blue]. taken down Consequently, Protect is the main option in the last slot, keeping Togekiss alive for a[color="blue]n extra[/COLOR] turn so its partner can take out the offending Pokemon. Togekiss has many more options for the third slot, but the two listed are probably the picks of the litter. Thunder Wave cripples fast attackers like Latios who would otherwise be problematic, while also forming the infamous [/COLOR][COLOR=red]'[/COLOR][COLOR=red](remove apostrophe) [/COLOR][COLOR=black]ParaFlinch combination. Tailwind is a bit more supportive, allowing Togekiss's team members to outspeed the opponent, as well as speeding up Togekiss to make Air Slash more deadly.</p>[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][ADDITIONAL COMMENTS][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]<p>[COLOR=blue]A[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=red]The listed[/COLOR][COLOR=black] specially defensive EV spread allows Togekiss to take powerful Blizzards and Thunderbolts with HP to spare; alternatively, a Bold nature with 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD can be used to survive powerful Rock Slides or Stone Edges from Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Rhyperior that would otherwise OHKO Togekiss. If you have access to a Togepi from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, Helping Hand is a very viable option, as Follow Me and Helping Hand on the same moveset is surprisingly useful. While you're dabbling in RSE, Body Slam and Softboiled can be used over Thunder Wave and Roost respectively. If you want to cram as much support as you can on Togekiss, you can forgo the third slot's options in favor of moves like Encore, Safeguard, Reflect, and Light Screen. Be careful about doing this, however, as without Roost or Protect, Togekiss tends to go down rather quickly. If you're using Togekiss to help set up Trick Room, be sure to avoid [/COLOR][COLOR=red]also[/COLOR][COLOR=black] running clashing moves such as Tailwind and Thunder Wave. Encore is perhaps the most useful [COLOR=blue]replacement[/COLOR], as most teams rely on double Protecting to stall out Trick Room. If all your team needs is Follow Me support, you can consider more offensive options, such as Aura Sphere, Tri-Attack, and Heat Wave.</p>[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]<p>Without Aura Sphere, Togekiss generally struggles against Rock-types such as Tyranitar. It also can't do much to most Electric-types, especially Thundurus and Zapdos. Terrakion makes a fine partner, taking out said Pokemon in one or two hits while Togekiss directs attacks to itself so Terrakion remains relatively untouched. As previously stated, Wide Guard users make excellent teammates. When running Trick Room, Togekiss enjoys a boosting teammate that can take out problematic Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Bronzong. It is not a good idea to pair Togekiss with a Trick Room user that shares [COLOR=blue]a[/COLOR] weakness with it, such as Chandelure, Slowking and Slowbro.</p>[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][SET][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]name: Choice Scarf[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]move 1: Air Slash[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]move 2: Aura Sphere[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]move 3: Heat Wave / Tri-Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]move 4: Trick / Follow Me / Hidden Power Ice[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]item: Choice Scarf[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]nature: Timid[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]ability: Serene Grace[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][SET COMMENTS][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]<p>Unlike most Togekiss, this set aims to [COLOR=blue]immediately[/COLOR] outrun the opponent and start firing off Air Slashes [/COLOR][COLOR=red]right off the ba[/COLOR][COLOR=black]t. Aura Sphere is a great coverage move, especially against Moody Smeargle with a few Evasion boosts, and against Pokemon that resist Air Slash such as Tyranitar. Heat Wave is a great spread move, especially considering the fact that it has a 20% chance to burn a Pokemon, but Tri-Attack gets a STAB boost and has many different effects that are also boosted by Serene Grace. It may be difficult to obtain a Togekiss with Tri-Attack and good IVs, however [COLOR=green](why is that? explain)[/COLOR]. The last slot is generally preferential; Hidden Power Ice hits Dragons such as Garchomp and Dragonite super effectively, which is always handy for a team. Follow Me is again always a good option, and with Choice Scarf, it can stop Fake Out more effectively, though Follow Me isn't the best move to be Choice-locked into. Trick can lock opposing Pokemon into undesirable moves, possibly removing beneficial items like Eviolite and miscellaneous Berries.</p>[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][ADDITIONAL COMMENTS][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]<p>Togekiss doesn't have many more offensive options, but Fire Blast can be used over Heat Wave for a little extra power. Since this Togekiss is more offensively inclined, and it might be locked into an unfavorable move from time to time, its teammates should be ready to cater to its needs. Wide Guard users such as Hitmontop, Swampert, and Conkeldurr make great teammates[color"=blue"], since
; they protect Togekiss from Rock Slide and Discharge, and can also take on the hail and sand teams that Togekiss doesn't particularly care for. Choice Scarf Togekiss also enjoys harsh sunlight and the absence of damaging weather, but it isn't required.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Togekiss gets Psycho Shift, and as such can use the move alongside Flame Orb a Flame Orb + Psycho Shift set, but this is generally better left to more defensive Pokemon such as Cresselia. Sunny Day and Rain Dance can be used to mess up opposing weather teams (why is this important? explain). ExtremeSpeed is a powerful priority move that can be used to pick off weakened Pokemon, and is a cool addition to your Togekiss if it somehow finds itself with an extra moveslot. As mentioned in the Follow Me set, Togekiss is more than capable of using Light Screen, Reflect, and Safeguard to support its teammates. Togekiss gets Super Luck via the Dream World, and while . While this may be somewhat useful if it had any moves with boosted critical hit chances, Togekiss prefers the flinch chance that its other luck-based ability, Serene Grace, grants.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As mentioned before, Electric- (insert hyphen)types such as Thundurus and Zapdos zap Togekiss right out of the sky with STAB Thunderbolt and Discharge. Tyranitar is a solid check, as are its common partners, Excadrill, Terrakion, and Landorus, though the first three have to be wary of Aura Sphere. Hail-based teams tend to give Togekiss the cold shoulder with STAB 100% accurate Blizzards, negating Follow Me, but have to watch out for Heat Wave.</p>

Looks solid. GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)