Togekiss

phantom

Banned deucer.

❋❋❋ Togekiss ❋❋❋
Overview
########

With its Fairy typing, great bulk, and access to Follow Me, Togekiss is one of the premier supporters in the Doubles metagame. Its movepool also contains great utility moves such as Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Helping Hand alongside useful coverage options to boot, giving it a fair degree of versatility. Togekiss comes up a bit short, however, when dealing with spread moves, which make its primary support option counterproductive. To add insult to injury, Togekiss must also compete with a few other supporters, most notably Cresselia, which possess greater bulk and access to the coveted Trick Room.

Follow Me Support
########
name: Follow Me Support
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Tailwind / Thunder Wave
move 4: Roost / Protect / Helping Hand
ability: Serene Grace
item: Sitrus Berry / Safety Goggles
evs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

If you're using Togekiss, you're using it with Follow Me. With its all-around solid bulk and typing, Togekiss is able to effortlessly redirect Dragon- and Fighting-type attacks, allowing its teammates to set up or attack with minimal disruptions. Air Slash is Togekiss's best STAB move due to its excellent neutral coverage and Serene Grace-boosted flinch rate, which allows Togekiss to get out of a troublesome situation or just generally, act as an annoyance to the opposition. In the third slot, Thunder Wave and Tailwind are two different options in speed control support. Thunder Wave acts as a permanent handicap and works superbly in tandem with Air Slash, whereas Tailwind adds more immediate pressure, as it collectively maintains speed control on all opponents at once in one turn. In the final slot, Roost allows Togekiss to heal itself in between supporting its teammates, whereas Protect capitalizes on double-targeting once the opponent wises up to Togekiss's shenanigans and discourages it after the first use. Lastly, Helping Hand takes a more aggressive approach by directing Togekiss's efforts towards its teammates and potentially turns some 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs.

Set Details
========

The Defense EVs allow Togekiss to survive Bisharp's Life Orb-bosted Iron Head, thus allowing it to redirect the move at least once; they're also useful in tanking stray Psyshocks from Latios. The rest of the EVs are poured into Special Defense, giving it rather even mix of bulk. Sitrus Berry is used to instantly heal a decent chunk of Togekiss's health as it uses Follow Me, which then gives it the possibility to survive multiple attacks within a single turn. However, due to the pervasiveness of sleep moves, Sleep Powder and Spore in particular, Togekiss can use the combination of Safety Goggles + Follow Me to act as an effective road block to sleep-related strategies. One other alternative item Togekiss can make use of is Lum Berry, which works well in ridding Togekiss of sleep once, as well as more crippling status such as burns and paralysis; this gives Togekiss a bit more longevity, especially in tandem with Roost.

Usage Tips
========

Togekiss's main purpose is to act as a disruption to the opponent's strategy by utilizing Follow Me, its stellar support options, and Serene Grace Air Slash. Air Slash can also get Togekiss out of a predicament by continually flinching the opponent into submission; this is especially handy when it comes to stopping a Trick Room user from setting up, though be wary that relying on Air Slash to get out of such situations won't always go according to plan due to its inconsistent, albeit very annoying, nature.

Togekiss works at nearly any stage of the match and may be brought in straight from the get-go; however, if you plan to bring it in mid-game, try to keep it as unscathed as possible by switching into weak Fighting-type attacks, sending it in after a kill, or bringing it on predicted Protects and the like in order to optimize on its ability to spam Follow Me. With Follow Me, Togekiss functions as an effective barricade for the likes of Breloom, Latios, Conkeldurr, and many more.

Use Follow Me when the opponent has a Pokemon that can threaten Togekiss's partner, as this allows the partner in question to attack or set up without too much concern. Due to the fact that Togekiss tends to be rather predictable, as its primary purpose is to continually use Follow Me, it can be exploited rather easily by your opponent if they choose to double-target it before they decide to take out Togekiss's partner. In this instance, it's good to use Protect (should Togekiss wield it) in order to avoid this counter-strategy and also discourage the opponent from attempting this tactic again. Should Togekiss be up against a Pokemon that utilizes spread moves, such as Mega Charizard Y or Kingdra, then it's simply better to attack or attempt to status the two threats, as using Follow Me will likely give your opponent enough breathing room to unleash multiple onslaughts.

Team Options
========

As a result of its immense supportive capabilities, Togekiss can be useful to just about any offensive partner, so it isn't limited to a specific few teammates or a particular group; however, it is useful if Togekiss and its given partner have the capability to handle each other's checks.

Garchomp and Landorus-T in particular work rather well with Togekiss, as they can obliterate Mega Gengar and opposing Steel-types with their STAB Earthquakes, while Togekiss can help redirect special attacks that both detest, such as Draco Meteor in the case of Garchomp. It's also good to note that Landorus-T's Intimidate ability makes Togekiss's job as a Follow Me user much easier, thus making them an especially nice pairing.

Setup sweepers and Substitute users can also take advantage of Togekiss's support. Mega Kangkaskhan and Substitute Heatran appreciate Togekiss's ability to redirect Fighting-type moves as well as various status afflictions. In return, Heatran demolishes almost all opposing Steel- and Ice-types that trouble Togekiss, whereas Mega Kangkaskhan possesses the capability to put immense pressure on Togekiss's more passive checks, such as Taunt Thundurus.

Other Options
########

Leftovers is an option so that Togekiss gains passive recovery each turn, but generally, Sitrus Berry is much better given the role a Follow Me user performs. Dual screens are also an option, making it easier for Togekiss's teammate to set up and for Togekiss itself to redirect attacks with Follow Me, but Togekiss is more often than not better off using its standard set. Rain Dance works effectively by maintaining weather control against Mega Charizard Y and Tyranitar teams. As far as other support options are concerned, Encore is particularly good on Togekiss, as it can lock a slower Pokemon into Protect or Fake Out. Safeguard can also find use by shielding Togekiss and its teammate from status, particularly sleep. Togekiss may also use Heal Bell as another way to counteract status.

Togekiss can also sport a snazzy offensive set, but this is better left to more powerful Fairy-types such as Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon. In regard to more offensive moves, Flamethrower works particularly well by demolishing the likes of Scizor and other Steel-types, and Dazzling Gleam may be used as another STAB move with the capability to target both opponents at once.

Checks & Counters
########

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Mega Gengar is easily the biggest thorn in Togekiss's side, as it can turn it into a huge liability by keeping Togekiss locked in as long as it's around thanks to Shadow Tag and then easily 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb.

Steel-types in general do rather well against Togekiss, as their high-powered STAB moves can keep it from continually being a nuisance with Follow Me. Jirachi, Heatran, Mega Mawile, Excadrill, Aegislash, Scizor, and Genesect can easily 2HKO Togekiss with their STAB move, although, with the exception of Heatran, they all have to watch out for the rare Flamethrower.

Electric-types also do rather well thanks to their resistance to Air Slash and immunity to Thunder Wave, and most have very little else to fear from Togekiss. The Thundurus formes, Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Mega Manectric all do an excellent job at pressuring Togekiss.

Rock Slide users, particularly Tyranitar and Terrakion, are incredibly annoying for Togekiss, as they make its primary support option counterproductive while dealing heavy damage. Sniping Togekiss with a Stone Edge from the likes of Garchomp and Landorus-T is also a good way to pressure it and limit its amount of time on the battlefield.

Ice-type attackers such as Mega Abomasnow, Mamoswine, and the Kyurem formes are also good at taking out Togekiss. Mega Abomasnow and Kyurem in particular can unleash powerful STAB Blizzards to bypass Follow Me and take out both Togekiss and its teammate.

**Utility Moves**: Taunt is an incredible way to shut down Togekiss, as its minute offensive presence will reduce it to just a minor nuisance once its support options are rendered unusable. Just be aware that Follow Me's priority bypasses even Prankster Taunt users, so Togekiss can use it at least once. Encore works in a similar fashion to Taunt, though if you plan to Encore Togekiss into Follow Me, be sure to have a way to exploit that.

Simply setting up a Substitute, in the case of Heatran or boosting with Dragon Dance in the case of Mega Gyarados are a good ways to exploit Togekiss and turn it into a liability. However, be wary of a possible Thunder Wave crippling said setup sweepers.

Last edited:
You don't need tailwind slashed in the first set if tailwind already has it's own set. Also put Roost behind Thunder Wave so the set is cleaner.

Slash Encore behind Helping Hand on the Tailwind set. Protect is the most common method for stalling Tailwind teams and a fast Encore is really devastating to that strategy.

Togekiss is really outclassed as an offensive mon also. It can have a mention in OO but I don't think it deserves its own set. If other QCs disagree though that's fine.

But yea it's been like 3 weeks Icecream let's get this skeleton finished.

Well as a fairy-type you are better off using Mega-Garde or Sylveon because of their power, and as a Flying-type Skymin is immediately a better choice because of its Speed. Fairy and Flying have pretty redundant offensive STAB coverage and both of Togekiss's main STABs have low base power. I guess its bulk could count as a niche but other than that the only difference in the sets is the SpA evs and Fire Blast.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Icecream, I know EV master Nollan came up with the first spread to survive Metagross's Meteor Mash, but Metagross is an uncommon threat atm. I think it would be pertinent to use more common benchmarks, such as Scarf Tar's Stone Edge and Bisharp's Iron Head.

This is what I suggest: 252 HP / 108 Def / 140 SpD / 8 Spe, Calm Nature. With this spread, Togekiss can survive Jolly Tyranitar's Stone Edge guaranteed and LO Bisharp's Iron Head more than average. With 8 Speed EVs, Togekiss is faster than Mega Gengar after it sets up Tailwind, allowing it to Air Slash flinch it if need be.

Under Set Details, mention that it can run enough Speed to outrun min Spe Rotom-W (52 Spe EVs).

I am not a fan of the move choices here. This is what I suggest

move 4: Roost / Helping Hand / Protect

Mention other support options such as Safeguard and Encore, as well as attacking options like Dazzling Gleam (mainly for Dragons- and Dark-types) and Fire Blast (for Steel-types) under Moves or Set Details.

Follow Me is a no-brainer. Then Togekiss is notorious for its speed control support with Tailwind or Thunder Wave, with Air Slash to take advantage of moving first to flinch the opposing force. Air Slash is mandatory for this reason. The final slot are either moves like Roost or Protect to help preserve Togekiss, or another support option, most commonly Helping Hand.

Tailwind set is unnecessary; it overlaps too much with the Follow Me set.

OO section: Stuff to Remove: Safeguard, since it would be mentioned in the set analysis; Body Slam, because 1) no STAB anymore and 2) only affects Ground-types; Choice Scarf; Offensive Set, since people use it for support, not for attacking; and After You.

Stuff to Add: Under Nasty Plot, I'd add that it can Baton Pass those boosts. Also add Rain Dance to control the weather.

Checks and Counteres: I would add that a Stone Edge from Pokemon like Garchomp, Landorus-T, or Tyranitar can drastically cut down on Togekiss's lifespan

Under Electric-types, I'd give a mention for Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt. Kyurem-B isn't an Electric-type, but its mine as well be one, since Fusion Bolt hits harder than some of the other Electric-types lol.

I'd remove Cloyster from Ice-types, it's a rare threat nowadays. Mamoswine would be a more relevant threat. I'd also mention Mega Abomasnow here, since it packs Blizzard, which is not only an Ice-type move, but also a spread move.

Paging Braverius, Biosci, and kingofmars for their expert opinion.

Last edited:

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
I'm too lazy to look through all of those, but Togekiss doesn't need HH on the Tailwind set. Follow Me is still a great utility to have on that set, as you can set up Tailwind then support your attackers with redirection and even use it to knock out Togekiss so that you can drop in another Pokemon to abuse Tailwind and carry along a sweep.

Flamethrower needs some mention too to help deal with Scizor, and the 20% burn chance can be nice at times. Up to you where you wanna mention it though.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
On the tailwind support set, you really should have follow me in there. Its just a waste not to use follow me on togekiss.

Also would slash roost over thunder wave on the main set but that's just my personal taste

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
I like Roost > TWave as well, along with Flamethrower on certain teams. Kind of redundant to have Tailwind and Thunder Wave on the same Pokemon.

For the record, I've been using 252 HP / 192 Def / 12 SpD / 52 Spe w/ a Calm Nature on Togekiss recently (Metagross is indeed terrible). It always survives a LO Bisharp Iron Head. If out speeding Rotom appliances is not a big priority you can dump the Spe EVs into SpD. In general there are a lot of physical threats in the top ranks currently (Mega Kanga, Bisharp, Landorus-T), so I find investing heavily into Defense is a smart idea.

In OO, remove After You, Heal Bell, Nasty Plot and Body Slam, as they really don't have the usefulness to be mentioned. Also note Dual Screens don't need Light Clay to function (I've slapped Light Screen on my Sitrus Togekiss on various occasions).

I also think the two sets should be put together somewhat like this:

Follow Me Support
########
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Air Slash / Dazzling Gleam
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: some sort of spread that's been mentioned that people can agree on

Things like Thunder Wave, Flamethrower, and Encore can be mentioned in set comments and/or other options. Any thoughts on this?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Air Slash is indispensable imo, since Serene Grace flinches is a valuable support option as well, especially under Tailwind. I haven't seen a Togekiss without Air Slash once as of yet. If anything I think Thunder Wave should be slashed with Tailwind, since paralysis is a very crippling status condition that works especially well with Air Slash.

I like your spread, Nollan, but I'll go with 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe. You still survive Bisharp's LO Iron Head while also attaining that jump point in SpD (295 -> 297), so the overall bulk have been increased.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i dont know about that fourth slash: i think that encore is a very good move, and roost is not that great. Encore / Protect is probably what i'd put, with roost and helping hand in oo. other qc can comment if they disagree

"the best support movepool in doubles" is definitely a lie (gardevoir wins that), just say it's a good support pokemon

fuck the speed, just put it in special defense

"bring it in as unscathed as possible" yes "with u-switch" ehhh.... just say try not to bring it in to the tune of 40% because that kinda ruins the point, predict protects or switches or drain punches or what have you

scratch what you have about roost and what you have about air slash in the usage tips and replace it with something more like the following: "togekiss is basically built to disrupt the opponent as much as possible, and shoudl be used in such a way to maximize the disruption. Between air slash flinches, follow mes, encores, and thunder waves, it can turn life into a living hell for the opponent."

Twave > tailwind because full paras, permanence, bigger drop, just switch slash order

TOGEKISS IS BEST AGAINST BULKY POKEMON, NOT OFFENSIVE ONES WHICH CAN USUALLY 2HKO / CARE LESS ABOUT ENCORE. Mention in usage tips

Thats also why u use twave, it makes zard think twice about 2hkoing, tailwind does not

Togekiss can hardly infinite wall skymin, im on phone but i bet seed flare -> air slash is a ko

Rock fucking slide in c&c

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok this looks good Spirit, only thing I say is to mention an offensive set in OO (since Togekiss has some cool offensive moves and a high SpA) and then you're good to go.
QC 1/3

Overview:
  • Generalize the point about a wide variety of offensive moves to a wide movepool. We don't want anyone reading this thinking offensive Togekiss is good.
Set:
  • Slash Safety Goggles behind Sitrus. It is good.
Moves:
  • Move the moves that aren't in the set to other options.
Usage Tips:
  • You need to clean this up. A lot of your bullets are wordy/fluff and are obvious to the reader already, like "it is bulky" and "Fairy>Dragon", so they should be removed. Be more general and say it can use it's bulk and typing to switch in on many Doubles attackers such as blablabla.
  • Focus more on detailing which moves it should primarily use, and which moves that shouldn't be spammed. Follow Me is obviously a very spammable move, but you should exemplify that it should only be used when a partner is threatened; it is very easy for sweepers to set up on Follow Me spam so be careful. Serene Grace Air Slashes can act as a last resort saving grace, but shouldn't be relied on to win matches. Idk Togekiss has so many things to know about just think for a bit and they will come to you.
Checks & Counters:
  • Add Escavalier, take out Rotom-C it sucks.
  • You can pretty much sum up the spread moves part when you talk about Heatran, Excadrill, and other spread move-using checks and counters. Either elaborate more in the Misc. tab before I stamp or just take it out.
  • Substitute and Setup sweepers can easily set up on it while it uses Follow Me.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Electrolyte always whines to me about throwbacks about past metas, just start with the premier support stuff
Moves
  • It's minor but I'd change 'Protect stops double-targeting' to 'Protect capitalizes on double-targeting'
Other Options
  • I'd like to see mention of Heal Bell, it doesn't see wide usage in doubles but it's pretty good on Togekiss

Good write up, QC 3/3 =]

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########

Togekiss serves as an exemplary of how the Fairy typing forever changed the two-versus-two competitive scene by upstarting its viability as is one of the premier supporters in the Doubles metagame. What makes Togekiss a fantastic supporter lies in its access to one of the best moves available: Follow Me. With its Fairy-type and great bulk, Togekiss is undisputedly the best user of the move with its access to Follow Me, which it can use very well with its Fairy typing and great bulk. Furthermore, Togekiss possess a fantastic movepool outside of that, containing Its movepool also contains great utility moves such as Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Helping Hand alongside useful coverage options to boot, giving it a fair degree of versatility. This helps give Togekiss an extra twist in its supportive capabilities, allowing it to be of good use to its teammate in addition to its conventional Follow Me tactics. Togekiss comes up a bit short, however, when dealing with spread moves, which makes its primary support option counter-productive. To add insult to injury, (Didn't get this part. Do you mean to say that lack of support against spread moves on Togekiss is exacerbated by the fact that its competition lack this flaw?) Togekiss must also compete with a few other supporters, most notably Cresselia, which possess greater bulk and access to the coveted Trick Room.

(Two things about the first sentence. "serve as an exemplary of" doesn't make sense, as the usage of 'exemplary' as a noun meaning 'example' is obsolete. Second, don't write an analysis in a way that emphasizes changes by generation. Yeah, I know Fairies were a big change, but just say that Togekiss is one of the best supporters in the metagame and be done with it.)

Follow Me Support
########

Moves
========

If you're using Togekiss, you're using it with Follow Me. With its solid all-round bulk and typing, Togekiss is able to effortlessly redirect Dragon- and Fighting-type attacks, allowing its teammates to set up or attack with minimal disruptions. Air Slash is Togekiss's best STAB move due to its excellent neutral coverage and Serene Grace-boosted flinch rate, which allows Togekiss to get out of a a troublesome situation or in general, act as an annoyance to towards the opposition. In the third slot, Thunder Wave and Tailwind are two different flavors in options for speed control support. On one hand, Thunder Wave acts as a permanent handicap and works superbly in tandem with Air Slash, but on the other, whereas Tailwind's speed control affects puts more immediate pressure, and while it is temporary, Togekiss's spends less effort in that it collectively maintains speed control on all opponents at once and in one turn no less, though it is temporary. In the final slot, Roost allows Togekiss to heal itself in between supporting its teammates, whereas Protect capitalizes on double-targeting once the opponent wises up to Togekiss's shenanigans and discourages it after the first use (please revise this part; it is unclear). Lastly, Helping Hand takes a more aggressive approach by directing Togekiss's efforts towards its teammates and potentially turning some 2HKOs into OHKOs and 3HKOs into 2HKOs.

Set Details
========

The Defense EVs allow Togekiss to survive Bisharp's Life Orb-bosted Iron Head, thus giving it the ability to redirect the move at least once; the defense EVs they're are also useful in tanking stray Psyshocks from Latios. The rest of the EVs are poured into its Special Defense stat, giving it a rather even mix of bulk. Sitrus Berry is used to instantly heal a decent chunk of Togekiss's health as it uses Follow Me, which then gives it the possibility to survive multiple attacks within a single turn. However, due to the pervasiveness of sleep moves, Sleep Powder and Spore in particular, Togekiss can use the combination of Safety Goggles + Follow Me to act as an effective road block to sleep-related strategies. One other alternative item Togekiss can make use of is Lum Berry, which Lum Berry works well in ridding Togekiss of sleep once, as well as more crippling status such as burns and paralysis; this which gives Togekiss a bit more longevity, especially in tandem with Roost.

Usage Tips
========

This Pokemon's Togekiss's main purpose is to act as a disruption to the opponent's strategy. by utilizing Follow Me, its stellar support options, and Serene Grace Air Slash, Togekiss can foil entire strategies single-handedly. Furthermore, Togekiss can use its handy Air Slash to can also get itself Togekiss out of a predicament by continually flinching the opponent into submission; this is especially handy when it comes to stopping a Trick Room user from setting up, though be wary that relying on Air Slash to get out of such situations won't always go according to plan due to its inconsistent, albeit very annoying, nature.

Togekiss works at nearly any stage of the match and may be brought in straight from the get-go; however, if you plan to bring it in mid-game, do try to do so while keeping it as unscathed as possible by switching into weak Fighting-type attacks, bringing it in after a kill, or on predicted Protects and the like in order to optimize on its ability to spam Follow Me. With Follow Me, Togekiss may be used to function as an effective barricade for the likes of Breloom, Latios, Conkeldurr, and many more.

Use Follow Me when the opponent has a Pokemon that can threaten Togekiss's partner, as this allows the partner in question to attack or set up without too much concern. Due to the fact that Togekiss tends to be rather predictable, as its primary purpose is to continually use Follow Me, it can be exploited rather easily by your opponent if they choose to double-target it before they decide to take out Togekiss's partner. In this instance, it's good to use Protect (should your Togekiss wield it) in order to avoid this counter-strategy, while at the same time, and also discourage the opponent from attempting this tactic once more if at all. Should Togekiss be up against a Pokemon that utilizes spread moves, such as Mega Charizard Y or Kingdra, then it's simply better to attack or attempt to status the two threats, as using Follow Me will likely give your opponent enough breathing room to unleash multiple onslaughts.

Team Options
========

As a result of its immense supportive capabilities, Togekiss can be useful to just about any offensive partner, so it isn't limited to a specific few teammates or a particular group; however, it is good that Togekiss and its given partner have the capability to collectively handle each other's checks. In other words, while Togekiss can work with almost any offensive threat, it is good that it and its partner has proper synergy with it so that the both of them can truly shine. (You are just rephrasing what you said in the previous sentence)

Garchomp and Landorus-T in particular work rather well with Togekiss, as they can obliterate Mega Gengar with their STAB-boosted Earthquakes along with opposing Steel-types, while Togekiss can help redirect special attacks that both detest, such as Draco Meteor in the case of Garchomp. It's also good to note that Landorus-T's Intimidate ability makes Togekiss's job as a Follow Me user much easier, thus making them an especially nice pairing.

Setup sweepers and Substitute users can also take advantage of Togekiss's support. Mega Kangkaskhan and Substitute Heatran appreciate Togekiss's ability to redirect Fighting-type moves as well as various status afflictions. In return, Heatran demolishes almost all opposing Steel- and Ice-types that trouble Togekiss, whereas Mega Kangkaskhan possesses the capability to put immense pressure on Togekiss's more passive checks, such as Taunt Thundurus.

Other Options
########

Leftovers is an option so that Togekiss gains passive recovery each turn, but generally, Sitrus Berry is much better given the nature role a Follow Me user performs. Dual screens are also an option, making it easier for Togekiss's teammate to set up, while making it easier on ans Togekiss itself to redirect attacks with Follow Me, but Togekiss is more often than not better off using its standard set. Rain Dance works effectively by maintaining weather control against Mega Charizard Y and Tyranitar teams. As far as other support options are concerned, Encore is particularly good on Togekiss, as it can lock a slower Pokemon into Protect or Fake Out. Safeguard can also find use by shielding Togekiss and its teammates from status, sleep in particular. Speaking of status, Togekiss may use Heal Bell as another way to counteract it.

Togekiss can also sport a snazzy offensive set, but this is better left to more powerful Fairy-types such as Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon. In regard to more offensive moves, Flamethrower works particularly well by demolishing the likes of Scizor and other Steel-types, and Dazzling Gleam may be used as another STAB move with the capability to target both opponents at once.

Checks & Counters
########

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Mega Gengar is easily the biggest thorn in Togekiss's side, as it Mega Gengar can keep Togekiss locked in as long as it's around thanks to Shadow Tag and easily 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb, thus making it the most effective way to take out Togekiss. Steel-types in general do rather well against Togekiss, as their high-powered STABs can keep it from continually being a nuisance with Follow Me. Jirachi, Heatran, Mega Mawile, Excadrill, Aegislash, Scizor, and Genesect can easily 2HKO Togekiss with their STAB move, although, with the exception of Heatran, they all have to watch out for the rare Flamethrower. Electric-types also do rather well thanks to their resistance to Air Slash and immunity to Thunder Wave; most have very little to fear from Togekiss. The Thundurus formes, Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Mega Manectric all do an excellent job at pressuring Togekiss. Rock-type attacks, Rock Slide users in particular such as Tyranitar and Terrakion are incredibly annoying for Togekiss, as they make its primary support option counter-productive all the while subjugating it to a powerful STAB-boosted attack while dealing heavy damage. Sniping Togekiss with a Stone Edge from the likes of Garchomp and Landorus-T is also a good way to pressure it and limit its amount of time on the battlefield. Ice-type attackers such as Mega Abomasnow, Mamoswine, and the Kyurem formes are also good at taking out Togekiss. Mega Abomasnow and Kyurem in particular can unleash powerful STAB-boosted Blizzards to bypass Follow Me and take out both Togekiss and its teammate.

(I know this section is giant as fuck now, but all of these comes under "Offensive Typing Advantage" just the same ._.)

**Utility Moves**: Taunt is an incredible way to shut down Togekiss, as its minute offensive presence will reduce it to just a minor nuisance once its support options are rendered unusable. Just be aware that Follow Me's priority bypasses even Prankster Taunt users, so Togekiss can use it at least once. Encore works in a similar fashion to Taunt, though if you plan to Encore Togekiss into Follow Me, do have a way to exploit that.

Simply setting up a Substitute, as in the case of Heatran, or boosting with Dragon Dance in the case of Mega Gyarados is a good way to exploit Togekiss and turn it into a liability. Though However, be wary of a possible Thunder Wave crippling said setup sweepers.

Overview was a little messy, but the rest was quite solid. You might also want to look into Checks and Counters again: there are only two sections, and the first section is long as fuck ;_;

GP 1 / 2

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2

Overview
########

With its Fairy typing, great bulk, and access to Follow Me, Togekiss is one of the premier supporters in the Doubles metagame with its access to Follow Me, which it can use very well with its Fairy typing and great bulk. Its movepool also contains great utility moves such as Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Helping Hand alongside useful coverage options to boot, giving it a fair degree of versatility. Togekiss comes up a bit short, however, when dealing with spread moves, which make its primary support option counterproductive. To add insult to injury, Togekiss must also compete with a few other supporters, most notably Cresselia, which possess greater bulk and access to the coveted Trick Room.

Follow Me Support
########

Moves
========

If you're using Togekiss, you're using it with Follow Me. With its all-around solid all-round bulk and typing, Togekiss is able to effortlessly redirect Dragon- and Fighting-type attacks, allowing its teammates to set up or attack with minimal disruptions. Air Slash is Togekiss's best STAB move due to its excellent neutral coverage and Serene Grace-boosted flinch rate, which allows Togekiss to get out of a troublesome situation or just generally in general, act as an annoyance to the opposition. In the third slot, Thunder Wave and Tailwind are two different options in speed control support. Thunder Wave acts as a permanent handicap and works superbly in tandem with Air Slash, whereas Tailwind puts adds more immediate pressure, as in that it collectively maintains speed control on all opponents at once and in one turn no less. In the final slot, Roost allows Togekiss to heal itself in between supporting its teammates, whereas Protect capitalizes on double-targeting once the opponent wises up to Togekiss's shenanigans and discourages it after the first use. Lastly, Helping Hand takes a more aggressive approach by directing Togekiss's efforts towards its teammates and potentially turning turns some 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs and 3HKOs into 2HKOs.

Set Details
========

The Defense EVs allow Togekiss to survive Bisharp's Life Orb-bosted Iron Head, thus allowing it giving it the ability to redirect the move at least once; they're also useful in tanking stray Psyshocks from Latios. The rest of the EVs are poured into its Special Defense stat, giving Togekiss a it rather even mix of bulk. Sitrus Berry is used to instantly heal a decent chunk of Togekiss's health when as it uses Follow Me, which then gives it the possibility to survive multiple attacks throughout within a single turn. However, due to the pervasiveness of sleep moves, Sleep Powder and Spore in particular, Togekiss can use the combination of Safety Goggles + Follow Me to act as an effective road block to sleep-related strategies. One other alternative item Togekiss can make use of is Lum Berry, which works well in ridding Togekiss of sleep once, as well as more crippling status such as burns and paralysis; this gives Togekiss a bit more longevity, especially in tandem with Roost.

Usage Tips
========

Togekiss's main purpose is to act as a disruption to the opponent's strategy by utilizing Follow Me, its stellar support options, and Serene Grace Air Slash. Air Slash can also get Togekiss out of a predicament by continually flinching the opponent into submission; this is especially handy when it comes to stopping a Trick Room user from setting up, though be wary that relying on Air Slash to get out of such situations won't always go according to plan due to its inconsistent, albeit very annoying, nature.

Togekiss works at nearly any stage of the match and may be brought in straight from the get-go; however, if you plan to bring it in mid-game, do try to keep do so while keeping it as unscathed as possible by switching into weak Fighting-type attacks, bringing it in sending it out after a kill, or bringing it in on predicted Protects and the like in order to optimize on its ability to spam Follow Me. With Follow Me, Togekiss may be used to functions as an effective barricade for the likes of Breloom, Latios, Conkeldurr, and many more.

Use Follow Me when the opponent has a Pokemon that can threaten Togekiss's partner, as this allows the partner in question to attack or set up without too much concern. Due to the fact that Togekiss tends to be rather predictable, as its primary purpose is to continually use Follow Me, it can be exploited rather easily by your opponent if they choose to double-target it before they decide to take out Togekiss's partner. In this instance, it's good to use Protect (should Togekiss wield it) in order to avoid this counter-strategy and also discourage the opponent from attempting this tactic again once more if at all. Should Togekiss be up against a Pokemon that utilizes spread moves, such as Mega Charizard Y or Kingdra, then it's simply better to attack or attempt to status the two threats, as using Follow Me will likely give your opponent enough breathing room to unleash multiple onslaughts.

Team Options
========

As a result of its immense supportive capabilities, Togekiss can be useful to just about any offensive partner, so it isn't limited to a specific few teammates or a particular group; however, it is useful if good that Togekiss and its given partner have the capability to collectively handle each other's checks.

Garchomp and Landorus-T in particular work rather well with Togekiss, as they can obliterate Mega Gengar and opposing Steel-types with their STAB Earthquakes along with opposing Steel-types, while Togekiss can help redirect special attacks that both detest, such as Draco Meteor in the case of Garchomp. It's also good to note that Landorus-T's Intimidate ability makes Togekiss's job as a Follow Me user much easier, thus making them an especially nice pairing.

Other Options
########

Leftovers is an option so that Togekiss gains passive recovery each turn, but generally, Sitrus Berry is much better given the role a Follow Me user performs. Dual screens are also an option, making it easier for Togekiss's teammate to set up and for Togekiss itself to redirect attacks with Follow Me, but Togekiss is more often than not better off using its standard set. Rain Dance works effectively by maintaining weather control against Mega Charizard Y and Tyranitar teams. As far as other support options are concerned, Encore is particularly good on Togekiss, as it can lock a slower Pokemon into Protect or Fake Out. Safeguard can also find use by shielding Togekiss and its teammate from status, particularly sleep in particular. Speaking of status, Togekiss may also use Heal Bell as another way to counteract status it.

Checks & Counters
########

[not sure if you want to give each paragraph in this section a formal title; I'm not exactly sure what the formatting convention is, so I'll leave it to your discretion]

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Mega Gengar is easily the biggest thorn in Togekiss's side, as it can turn it into a huge liability by keeping Togekiss locked in as long as it's around thanks to Shadow Tag and then easily 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb.

Steel-types in general do rather well against Togekiss, as their high-powered STAB moves can keep it from continually being a nuisance with Follow Me. Jirachi, Heatran, Mega Mawile, Excadrill, Aegislash, Scizor, and Genesect can easily 2HKO Togekiss with their STAB move, although, with the exception of Heatran, they all have to watch out for the rare Flamethrower.

Electric-types also do rather well thanks to their resistance to Air Slash and immunity to Thunder Wave, and most have very little else to fear from Togekiss. The Thundurus formes, Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Mega Manectric all do an excellent job at pressuring Togekiss.

Rock Slide users, in particular such as particularly Tyranitar and Terrakion, are incredibly annoying for Togekiss, as they make its primary support option counterproductive while dealing heavy damage. Sniping Togekiss with a Stone Edge from the likes of Garchomp and Landorus-T is also a good way to pressure it and limit its amount of time on the battlefield.

Ice-type attackers such as Mega Abomasnow, Mamoswine, and the Kyurem formes are also good at taking out Togekiss. Mega Abomasnow and Kyurem in particular can unleash powerful STAB Blizzards to bypass Follow Me and take out both Togekiss and its teammate.

**Utility Moves**: Taunt is an incredible way to shut down Togekiss, as its minute offensive presence will reduce it to just a minor nuisance once its support options are rendered unusable. Just be aware that Follow Me's priority bypasses even Prankster Taunt users, so Togekiss can use it at least once. Encore works in a similar fashion to Taunt, though if you plan to Encore Togekiss into Follow Me, do be sure to have a way to exploit that.

Simply setting up a Substitute [removed ,] as in the case of Heatran [removed ,] or boosting with Dragon Dance in the case of Mega Gyarados is a are good ways to exploit Togekiss and turn it into a liability. However, be wary of a possible Thunder Wave crippling said setup sweepers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)