Togetic (QC 1/3) (LOCK THIS PLS)

So much cute in one decent defensive Pokemon
QC Checks: TheCanadianWifier

Overview
########
+Great Bulk that only increases when holding Eviolite
+Good defensive typing with two immunities to back up its bulk
+A great movepool for Defense, as well as access to gems like Baton Pass and Defog
+Somewhat unpredictable with its bulk
-Its typing can work against it as it is weak to 5 types, including common ones like Ice and Electric.
-Special attack and attacking movepool is mediocre
-Mediocre HP makes it struggle as a wall
-Horrible speed makes it Taunt bait and setup fodder

Name: Defensive
Move 1: Defog
Move 2: Roost
Move 3: Toxic / Heal Bell
Move 4: Seismic Toss / Dazzling Gleam
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Nature: Bold

Moves
========
- Defog is used to get rid of Stealth Rocks and other hazards
- Roost is a reliable recovery in case Togetic takes too much damage
- Toxic is used to deal residual damage to the opposing Pokemon
- Heal Bell is used to heal your own and/or your teammates status problems
-Seismic Toss is used to deal consistent damage
- Dazzling Gleam is used for STAB and saves Togetic from being complete Taunt bait
Set Details
========
-Max Defense makes Togetic a prime Physical wall.
-Max HP makes up for Togetic's mediocre HP.
-Eviolite is used to increase Togetic's already good Bulk.
-Togetic's typing is better for physically defensive sets, which explains the investment in Physical bulk rather than Special bulk.

Usage Tips
========
-Even when uninvested, Togetic has great bulk with Eviolite, as it can even live super-effective special hits:
252 SpA Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Togetic: 152-182 (48.4 - 57.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Togetic: 218-258 (69.6 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-If your team is weak to hazards, switch Togetic into hazards. Despite being weak to Stealth Rock itself, it can get rid of hazards with Defog, and recover its health with roost.
-Defog Togetic is best used on Stall teams, as Defog can help keep up the momentum.

Team Options
========
-Seismitoad makes a great partner with Togetic. It makes a great switch in with Togetic to three of her weaknesses, and Seismitoad appreciates Togetic's Grass resistance.
-Fire types, such as Typhlosion and Pyroar, are also excellent partners with Togetic, due to being able to handle 2 of Togetic's weaknesses
-Steel types also make excellent partners for Togetic, due to being resistant to Steel and Ice, and immune to Poison. Steel-Types also enjoy Togetic's Ground immunity.
-Audino is an excellent choice for Togetic, as Audino can pass wishes to her, and free up a moveslot with Heal Bell.

Baton Pass
############
Name: Baton Pass
Move 1: Baton Pass
Move 2: Nasty Plot
Move 3: Roost
Move 4: Dazzling Gleam
Ability: Super Luck

Moves
========
-Nasty Plot boosts Special Attack and should only be used to be passed on
-Dazzling Gleam is used for STAB
-Roost is a reliable recovery for Togetic, and can be used when your HP is low
-Baton Pass is the main move of this set, and can be used to pass on Togetic's boosts and keep the momentum up

Set Details
========
-Despite having better Special bulk, Togetic is better off with a Physically Defensive spread, as some of Togetic's weaknesses are physical.
-Togetic can also lure in Special attackers, and even when uninvested, can take Special hits well.

Usage Tips
========
-You should be focused on boosting for a teammate that can benefit from the boosts, and not set up on any of Togetic's counters.
-Make sure that Togetic's counters are fainted, as they can set up, and possibly OHKO Togetic while she is boosting.

Team Options
========
-Special Attackers that could use a boost, such as Mesprit, Slurpuff, Samurott, and Typhlosion, make excellent partners for Togetic, as they can enjoy the boosts Togetic may pass on to them.
-Because this set lacks Defog, Stealth Rock control is appreciated from Togetic, as she is weak to Stealth Rocks.

Other Options
########
-A Wish set can be used to pass recovery for teammates, but Togetic's low HP makes it a poor user of this move.
- Thunder Wave can be used to make up for Togetic's slow speed and spread Paralysis, but Toxic is the better option.
-Fire Blast or Flamethrower can be used to hit Steel and Ice types, but thats all it really does.
- Encore can be used to phaze the opponent, especially fellow walls, but Togetic's low speed can hinder this.
- A Specially Defensive set can be used, but Togetic's typing makes it a better Physically Defensive Pokemon.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fire types** Fire types, namely Flareon and Typhlosion, can KO Togetic with ease, and resist Dazzling Gleam.
**Knock off** Due to Togetic's reliance on Eviolite, Knock off users, such as Archeops, can really cause Togetic harm, and shut down Togetic's walling abilities.
**Taunt and Encore** Taunt can really screw up Togetic, as she relies on status moves, and Encore can make Togetic setup fodder. Mismagius is a Taunt user to especially avoid, as she is faster and can easily set up on her.
**Steel and Poison types** Steel types and Poison types, such as Klingklang and Weezing, are immune to Toxic, resist Dazzling Gleam, and can easily KO her with a STAB move.

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
put something other than just SE type attacks in the c&c section, add things like taunt which prevents it from using utility moves or even knock off which gets rid of eviolite.

Get in a mention of Baton Pass as a momentum grabbing move on the first set somewhere (might not deserve a slash, but at least in OO)

Also DEFOG should be the primary slash over status moves on the first set, Togetic is one of the better defensive defoggers in the tier

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Encore deserves at least a mention in the Defensive set somewhere.

Evs should be 248 HP as well, giving you odd hp and another switch in with rocks up.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A utility category would go well in the Checks and Counters section. Togetic is really dependent on non-attacking moves, so Taunt really screws it up. Encore as well locks it into some move, which can easily be taken advantage of.

One more thing - Togetic's typing is better suited for walling physical attackers, the first set should probably be Physically Defensive with Specially Defensive Togetic mentioned as a on option somewhere along the way.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I would remove the status moves from the first slot on the main set, Defog is the reason you use the mon, and it should therefore be the first move on the set.
you can move the Status moves to set details as other options, or maybe even slashed over heal bell. But Defog needs its own line, haha

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The first set should be look like Defog | Roost | Dazzle | filler. Defog is mandatory, the last slot depends on your team's needs. TWave / Toxic / Heal Bell / Encore / Baton Pass are all viable so just pick 2 or 3 and mention the rest in Moves or something. Also Roost is mandatory on NP Pass, slash Flamethrower with Dazzle instead.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've used defensive Togetic a lot this gen, so I have a lot to say about it, and as you're new to C&C, I've got lots to cover with you about the types of things to put in each area, formatting, etc. So don't take this really long post to mean that you're bad at this because you've just got some stuff to learn, and sorry that you have to read all of this!

I'd probably switch the set order. I haven't used Nasty Pass Togetic this gen (loved it last gen though!), but considering a) the state of the metagame and b) how huge of a momentum shitter the defensive set is because it's so weak, Nasty Pass is probably better.

Overview:
Way too clunky right now, and you have like three or four points about its bulk and typing. Cut them down to one point that says that Togetic has great bulk with Eviolite and good typing to back it up, along with another that talks about its great support movepool, which includes gems such as Baton Pass and Defog.

Cut down the negatives as well. Make one point about its low Speed and the drawbacks that come with it, another about how it can be used as setup fodder, and one that talks about how its typing can also work against it with some weaknesses.

Cut out all mentions about Togekiss. It's irrelevant to the NU metagame.

Baton Pass:
Set order should be:

- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

Your set formatting is also off. It should look like this with the new set order:

Name: Baton Pass
Move 1: Baton Pass
Move 2: Nasty Plot
Move 3: Roost
Move 4: Dazzling Gleam

You always want EVs in their abbreviated form (HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe) and in the listed order.

Under moves, don't even talk about how Nasty Plot boosts Togetic's Special Attack because it's almost never relevant in matches. Togetic is really weak, even boosted. As an example:

+6 0 SpA Togetic Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kangaskhan: 342-403 (97.4 - 114.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

You have a chance not to KO an offensive Pokemon with a +6 80 BP STAB move @_@

Set Details is kind of beating a dead horse, saying really obvious things. Instead, just say that its physical defense investment is better than a specially defensive spread despite Togetic's better SpDef because its typing lends itself to walling physical attackers.

Under Usage Tips, you don't need to mention Taunt users. This is covered later in Checks & Counters, and as long as you aren't trying to set up on Taunt users, you can at least pelt them with +2 Dazzling Gleams if they switch directly into their Taunt user.

The other point in Usage Tips is odd. Togetic still has great special bulk, even without investment, and as long as you aren't setting up on like Cryogonal or Klinklang or something, you should be more focused on setting up at a point in the game where a teammate can really take advantage of the boosts. Mention this instead. You can also say in Usage Tips that you can afford to set up with Togetic multiple times in one game because of its reliable recovery and great bulk, meaning that unlike SmashPassers, you can play a bit more carelessly with it.

Again under Team Options, you're mentioning things that can kill Taunt users, but Taunt users is such a broad category. All kinds of things use it, and no one Pokemon is more well equipped to kill Taunt users than any other.

Give some specific examples of things that appreciate Nasty Plot boosts and why they appreciate them. I'd rattle some off, but I'd like to see what you can come up with. General idea here would be fast special attackers that could use a power boost (Magmortar is the perfect example of a special attacker that really doesn't need the boost because it's not very fast and it already hits stupid hard).

Defensive:
Set should be:

Name: Defensive
Move 1: Defog
Move 2: Roost
Move 3: Toxic / Heal Bell
Move 4: Seismic Toss / Dazzling Gleam

I personally don't even like Heal Bell on it because it's such setup fodder without Toxic, but I'm ok with it being the second slash. Seismic Toss is generally much better than Dazzling Gleam because Togetic is stupid weak and consistent damage is more valuable, but being able to hit Spiritomb is nice.

Under Set Details, again, you should explain why a physically defensive spread is better than a specially defensive one as I talked about in the last set.

Under Usage Tips, cut the first point because it's simply untrue. Togetic still has great special bulk uninvested, and it can even live super effective special hits:

252 SpA Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Togetic: 152-182 (48.4 - 57.9%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

Cut out the second part as well. You should be explaining when and how to use Togetic, not what defensive investment it has. Instead, talk about how important it is to find a good time to Defog. As Togetic is so easy to set up on, you really don't want to give too many free turns to the opponent to start doing just that. You can also mention that this set is best used on stall teams where losing momentum isn't that big of a deal.

Replace Team Options with some specific examples of good synergistic Pokemon. Seismitoad was a good one, but not because it hits Electric-, Steel-, Rock-, and Poison-types super effectively. Instead, it makes for a good switch into those types, while Togetic covers its Grass weakness. Another good partner is Audino, which helps make Togetic's job easier. It can pass a Wish to it, which helps with Stealth Rock damage before Togetic Defogs. Audino also lures in Fighting-types such as Choice Band Sawk and Bulk Up Gurdurr, which Togetic can easily come in on and use the free turn to Defog. It also frees up a moveslot for Togetic to run Toxic because Audino can run Heal Bell. You don't have to include all of this information word-for-word by the way. Feel free to trim it down.

Other Options:
When you talk about Wish, your phrasing is kind of odd. I'd just say that Togetic's low base HP makes it a poor user of the move.

Don't even mention an offensive set. Togetic is way too weak for it.

Don't mention Soft-Boiled either. Roost is pretty much strictly better.

When you talk about Encore, don't call it unreliable. Just say that Togetic's low Speed makes it difficult for it to use the move well.

Don't bother with the last point either. You summed it up perfectly when you said that Togetic has better things to do.

Checks and Counters:
Let's condense these, yea? Here's what I'd like to see for this section:

**Taunt and Encore users** (talk about how they totally prevent Togetic from doing its job, and mention Mismagius as a particularly threatening Taunt user because of its ability to set up on Togetic and Accelgor which can set up Spikes after Encoring it into a useless move)

**Steel- and Poison-types** (immune to Toxic, take shit from Gleam, and hit it hard with their STABs. Pawniard can also set up on Togetic, and Weezing can set up Toxic Spikes as it forces it out)

**Knock Off** (all kinds of things in the tier use it, and it makes Togetic's walling capabilities drop drastically)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've used defensive Togetic a lot this gen, so I have a lot to say about it, and as you're new to C&C, I've got lots to cover with you about the types of things to put in each area, formatting, etc. So don't take this really long post to mean that you're bad at this because you've just got some stuff to learn, and sorry that you have to read all of this!
Togie dont get discouraged, you are doing a good job on your post. And when it comes to a mon that a lot of us have used and love we have a lot to say about it.

On the Baton Pass set, I prefer Super Luck, as Serene Grace does not benefit at all while Super Luck has the small chance of helping. Also, for Team Options you should mention WHAT Pokemon go well with it. Some that I've tried out are Lilligant or Samurott. I'd also mention Carvanha / Yanma because of Speed Boost, but it's probably only me who even uses those two n_n! Also, it's worth it to mention that since Togetic is so slow it can often safely Baton Pass into a teammate without worry of the teammate being hit on a predicted switch.

:)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Mention some potential recipients in Team Options for the second set [pokemon such as CM pluff, Samurott, Mespirit, Pyroar, Magmortar, etc]

This looks pretty solid other than that, good enough for
[QC 1/3]

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview

"Somewhat unpredictable with its bulk"
  • ??? How does its bulk make it "unpredictable?" If anything its it's large movepool that gives it a lot of options to support its teammates. Even then though I'd consider it a bit of a stretch to call it unpredictable lol
  • Also, your point about "mediocre HP" implies that Togetic isn't bulky, which it is. I would replace that with a point about how Knock Off (a move it would ordinarily take) cripples it due to Eviolite
Defensive
  • Usage Tips are pretty terrible. I don't like how you're mentioning how "it can even live STAB super effective hits!!" because that gives off the idea that it actually should. Also, Togetic should rarely be switching directly into hazards given the fact that a shitton of hazard setters outright beat or at least can cripple Togetic. You need to play around with this set more and update this with a much more plausible UT because this is really bad right now.
Baton Pass
  • Again, Usage Tips are really lacking. Both points are super obvious ("boost and pass to a teammate," "don't set up against counters"). You need to give a lot more detail with this one too, since I'm really not learning anything anything from what you have atm. Expand more on how you play with it throughout the game.
  • I'm not sure if the teammates you listed are so great either. Mesprit and Samurott in particular don't seem like very good recipients to me because they're slow and don't generally need the boost since they already hit super hard (Mesprit can even run CM to boost itself, so I really don't know if it's necessary). Slurpuff on the other hand can sweep after Unburden, but it has pretty awful synergy with Togetic.
Checks and Counters
  • Archeops is a terrible example of a Knock Off user. I don't even think it runs it that often, and it has Rock STAB to obliterate Togetic. Dark-types or Fighting-types are much better examples because those are threats Togetic would otherwise have little to no trouble with
  • Add a section for just general shit that can take advantage of Togetic's weak offenses. Bulky sweepers like Gatr for example pretty much set up all over it

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Togie are you still working on this? I'd start off by taking Dat Blast's advice. UT needs a lot more work. You should talk about what common stuff you can actually switch in and Defog on. Also I wouldn't say defog "keeps the momentum." Togetic in general is a huge momentum loser, and thats why you use it on more defensive teams that can handle the momentum loss.

Togie are you still working on this? I'd start off by taking Dat Blast's advice. UT needs a lot more work. You should talk about what common stuff you can actually switch in and Defog on. Also I wouldn't say defog "keeps the momentum." Togetic in general is a huge momentum loser, and thats why you use it on more defensive teams that can handle the momentum loss.
I'll probably have to drop it. I've been too busy.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you wish to drop Togetic please reply to the reservation thread saying so, otherwise please implement Amarillo's check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)