1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 12 Tomohawk Playtesting

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Rising_Dusk, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

255 does no more than 252. So I would suggest going 252 in both and throwing the remaining ones in Defense to get an extra point.
  2. Griffen78

Griffen78

Yeah I guess.
  3. Pippy

Pippy

This thing is an amazing baton passer. Right now I'm using the baton passed sub on my Cloyster, which usually gives my a shell smash before I start my sweep with full health and a sash.
  4. bubbly

bubbly

I'm absolutely loving this on stall right now. It makes a pretty good check for a lot of things, but its such an effective Rapid Spinner and lets you grab momentum so easily people keep ragequitting :)
  5. JSND

JSND

This thing really convice me i am right.
    Flying is a great offensive typing after all, only we are TOO STUPID IDIOT MORONIC to realize its awesomeness since GF troll us with horrible flying type with great movepool(pidgeot) and great flying type for defensive spectrum(skarmory)

And yeah its great for handling dory and to some extent rain too for me. Gale + aura is awesome for rain team
  6. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Lead

Don't shoot me, but what's the value of playtest ladders in the first place? We get to see cool combos for Tomo in an OU environment, only to have it completely altered once we throw in the other CAPmons. Seems kinda pointless.
  7. capefeather

capefeather YOU CAN'T STOP ROB
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

From the site:

"The Create-A-Pokémon project is a community dedicated to exploring and understanding the competitive Pokémon metagame by designing, creating, and playtesting new Pokémon concepts."

No understanding of the metagame is complete without playtesting. Too bad the PO rating system isn't very conducive to this X(
  8. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Lead

I think you misunderstood- by Playtest ladders I meant the ladder that's out for two weeks after a pokemon is released where only it and real pokemon can be used, with the exclusion of other CAPs. I think it should go straight to the all-CAP ladder.
  9. ssbbm

ssbbm

We make CAPs FOR playtesting; the all-CAP metagame that comes out afterwards is only for fun.
  10. Griffen78

Griffen78

All of competative is just for fun....
  11. Gerard

Gerard

I love this thing on stall, since one of the concepts was something to beat 1-o-1 to Excadrill and tyranitar, it helps that he can really be useful in killing rain and sand and actually help to take hits, it has caused many quits when they realize he doesn't die
  12. Griffen78

Griffen78

Tomo is good at practiclly everything .-.
  13. capefeather

We don't design CAPs for the CAP metagame. The CAPs are designed to learn about the OU metagame. That's why we test CAPs in the OU metagame.
  14. Sambobz

Sambobz

What have we learned so far? (honestly, I wanna see what we have learned)
  15. HeavyOctillery

HeavyOctillery

I'm really glad Tomo has fulfilled its concept so far; it just proves that cape's moveset was the correct one for the job. I'd playtest it myself, but my current comp doesn't play nice with a lot of stuff, sooooooo.......
  16. Griffen78

Griffen78

a single point in a stat >.>
  17. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

There's no reason to not get that single point in a stat, though! Anyway, let's keep the discussion to Tomohawk, not how to make efficient EV spreads in general.
  18. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    Doubles Co-Lead

It seems like tomohawk may have sort of failed his mission, seeing how we wanted him to check but not destroy sandstorm, and he destroyed sandstorm.
  19. capefeather

...When did we say that? We picked the stat spread knowing that it would lol at Excadrill and Tyranitar, and make Garchomp nervous.
  20. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    Doubles Co-Lead

Way back in the beginning, we said that a momentum pokemon should be able to capitalize on a lot of common playstyles without knocking then out of use. It can capitalize on a Dory coming in on your team and steal momentum back, for sure. Problem is, nobody would dare to use sand because it's just so completely pissed on by this guy.
  21. Captain

Captain
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Hmm I've seen a person or two (or more can't remember) using sand and they seemed decent at least. It doesn't sound like much but given the activity on the BW CaP ladder it's significant enough.
  22. Raj

Raj CAP Playtesting Expert

lol @ "real Pokemon"

Due to being unable to download the spites correctly (>_>) I haven't been able to try out the new CaP, but has anyone thought to use it alongside Dragonite? Both able to be bulky special attackers, they'd fill similar roles on a team and when the counter for one goes down, it opens up an oppurtunity for the other.
  23. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Just wanted to post that I am extending the playtest by a week due to extenuating circumstances. This test ran through finals and graduation week for a lot of our community, so I want to give players more of a chance with their free time to play with Tomohawk!
  24. Spenstar

Spenstar

what was the Physical Tomo set one guys said was effective?
  25. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Alright then! Now that the playtest has been on for long enough, I am closing it and checking our winner! spamspam is an alt of Korski, and thus he wins the playtest for Tomohawk!

Congratulations, Korski, for winning the CAP1 playtest!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)