Torterra Discussion

Click!

#389 Torterra
Grass/Ground
HP: 95/ Atk: 109/ Def: 105/ SpA: 75 / Sp. Def: 85/ Spd: 56

From the looks of it, Torterra can wall decently and has good attack while not doing much in speed. Looks like we have an offensive supporter.

Moves

Physical
Wood Hammer
Crunch
Earthquake
Body Slam
Seed Bomb
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Superpower

Special
Giga Drain
Leaf Storm

Hidden Power
Energy Ball
Grass Knot

Support
Curse
Leech Seed
Synthesis
Roar
Light Screen
Protect
Reflect
Rest
Swords Dance
Substitute
Amnesia
----------

Awesome physical movepool, awesome support pool. This thing probably won't be using it's SpA... Yup, offense/support sets are going to be numerous.

Movesets

Forterra
@ Leftovers
Adamant
(252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD)

-Swords Dance
-Light Screen
-Leech Seed
-Earthquake

Helps against schemers, Leech Seed, immense STAB attack after Swords Dance. Pretty good team helper.

_____

I think it'll do great in Standards.

Sorry gotta go in school now switching classes

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like the Choice Band variants... Rock and Ground resists make getting Torterra in pretty easy, but a 4x Ice weakness makes keeping it in very hard. Fortunately, with a resistance to Stealth Rock and Sandstorm, it doesn't mind being switched in and out a lot.

The good thing about torterra is that he has powerful STAB and/or SE attacks against the most common ice beamers which makes it very hard for them to get in on him. Bulky waters aren't going to like a wood hammer to the dome, and ice types will not enjoy superpower or stone edge.

For this reason, i'd use a choice band.

Torterra @ CB
Adamant, Overgrow
Wood Hammer
Super Power
Earthquake
Stone Edge

edit: curse you misty

I've always been fond of

Torterra @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 Def
~Leech Seed
~Curse
~Wood Hammer
~Earthquake

it might be able to use with swaping out leech seed for Stone Edge or Crunch, but I like the extra health.

I like Bulky Torterra:

@ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer / Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis / Leech Seed

It's good at setting up Stealth Rocks IMO. The fact that it can Wood Hammer the three common Spinners (Starmie, Claydol and Donphan) is a rather sweet bonus (or just run Stone Edge so that it doesn't get bitch-slapped by every flier).

You missed out Rock Polish in its Support move-pool btw.

I only have one issue with it and thats what can it do outside of just hit pretty hard? Its not exactly the best tank around, its typing isn't anything special and its slow.

Its moves just aren't anything special, if in terms of support all it can offer is Light Screen than it'll have to try harder.

Venusaur is bulky, fastish and can Leech Seed and Sleep.

Meganium can act as a cleric, somewhat bulky grass with good speed and defensive support.

Sceptile is just well...hes in a league of his own.

Torterra just seems like a whole load of power and nothing else to me.

Sadly his base Speed is lower than Swampert's, so the CB sets will need a few EVs to beat Impish Swampert. He's a bit slow to abuse Overgrow/Wood Hammer but he might get in one boosted hit before he falls. CB set looks promising, but I hate to give up his support options.

Leech Seed, Earthquake, Wood Hammer looks ok for a non-CB set. Throw Stealth Rock, Stone Edge or a screen in on the last slot. I like Stealth Rock here, to punish those who switch out of Leech Seed.

As great and powerful as Wood Hammer is, recoil is not exactly good for a tank, even with Leech Seed recovery. Seed Bomb should be a slower, safer option.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pros:

* has physical defenses worth shouting about.
* rock/ground resistance.

Cons:

* Garchomp phobia means ice attacks are everywhere.
* neutral rather than resistant to many STABed staples i.e. meteor mash, dragon claw, psychic.
* too slow to really use its support movepool well.

Moveset:

Torterra

~ Impish/adamant @leftovers
Earthquake
Wood hammer/stone edge
Sleep talk
Rest

Happy medium between offense and defense.

Verdict:

Being faster than Rhyperior and brave Swampert is a big plus, but you are not outspeeding much else. It is worth waiting for Garchomp hype to quieten down (if ever) before considering Torterra because half of every standard team tends to carry an ice attack.

What about Rock Polish / Seed Bomb ( or wood Hammer) / earthquake / Stone Edge? It reaches 198 speed with a neutral nature .

It could work like an agiligross with less attack (and lack of explosion) but more type coverage . STAB on earthquake is hot and it's @ 100% accuracy.

I guess that it could be used with some setup...He is too cool to be a leftover =(

What about Rock Polish / Seed Bomb ( or wood Hammer) / earthquake / Stone Edge? It reaches 198 speed with a neutral nature .

It could work like an agiligross with less attack (and lack of explosion) but more type coverage . STAB on earthquake is hot and it's @ 100% accuracy.

I guess that it could be used with some setup...He is too cool to be a leftover =(
I'm considering a similar (if not identical) set. Once it's faster than most Pokémon it can really do some damage with its type coverage.

I'm considering a similar (if not identical) set. Once it's faster than most Pokémon it can really do some damage with its type coverage.
Agility sets are kinda meh, you can speed boost but you're not going to sweep teams with 109 base attack.

An AS set with Superpower/EQ/WoodHammer/StoneEdge would be hot as hell. Granted the Subseed or Restalk sets will probably be of more use to the team than some crazy-ass grass cannon.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
For the record, weaknesses and resistances:
4x: Ice
2x: Bug, Fire, Flying
1/2x: Ground, Rock
0x: Electric
Yup, Torterra is definitely lacking some key resists and weaknesses to Fire and Ice are not good. Rock/Ground/Electric are very common types, though.

I like the idea of resisting QuakeSlide, but sadly T-tar crunch does crap loads and many Garchomp have Fire Blast/Fang :-/

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm considering Torterra in my team, what with the sexy quakeslide resist and good defenses. It can be easily EVed to only be 3HKOed by a CBTar Crunch, so it's a decent Tyranitar counter. Wood Hammer and EQ are both enough to do a number on Tyranitar, btw... there is no need of Superpower, in my opinion, and STAB EQ should be enough to do a lot to Blissey and friends, let alone STAB Wood Hammer. Heracross is a problem, though... Megahorn does too much damage. The x4 weakness to Ice is the real downer, though.

Wood Hammer can do more than 50% to Gengar, too, even though Gengar resists Grass, just in case you mispredict.

Light Screen is interesting on Torterra, I think.

Why do people keep fusing pokemon together via photoshop then making it their avatars? I've seen garchomp fused with sooo many pokes lol. Speaking of avatars, micky onimusha's looks an awful lot like mine......

Anyway.....I remember calling torterra torterrable not too long ago. He tries to tank, yet fails because of the abundance of Ice beams. Maybe if he was faster than most bulky waters, he would have a chance. I think CB version probably has the most hope since 120 base wood hammer + stab + CB is not too shabby.

I'd feel unsafe with choice band because of how many ice beams there are, but one set I'd consider might be:

Torterra @ leftovers
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
- Earthquake/Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer
- Protect

Come in on one of the many attacks it can shrug off, and scout for moves with protect. If they don't hit you with ice right away, you know not to worry about it from that Pokemon; if they switch right away, you get out (or you could even scout that Pokemon with protect as well). Once you know what you can switch it in on, do so and stealth rock, and if they send in Starmie, Claydol, or Donphan to rapid spin you can hit them with an SE grass move. I'd go with seed bomb since this thing wouldn't be too happy about recoil damage. I might even do some calcs later to see if it could be EVd so that it could survive one Starmie ice beam and OHKO back, but I'm dubious about that...

Not perfect, but I'd feel safe enough from ice with protect in tow. Earthquake would make some sense for the other move but stone edge would hit flyers that are resistant to grass.

I was thinking about him a lot lately and I think maybe a Life Orb varient with Synthesis might be nice. Everyone tends to harp on his weakness to 4x Ice, but most of the things that carry Ice Beam are bulky waters that fear Wood Hammer.

Life Orb allows not having to worry too much about prediction while taking out bulky waters with OHKO. Then if you predict a switch you can heal off the damage with synthesis. He's not exactly the safest pokemon, but he can cause some damage if used correctly.

I was thinking about him a lot lately and I think maybe a Life Orb varient with Synthesis might be nice. Everyone tends to harp on his weakness to 4x Ice, but most of the things that carry Ice Beam are bulky waters that fear Wood Hammer.
And almost all of them are faster than Torterra.

So you want to take recoil damage from wood hammer and life orb damage at the same time? That is assuming you can actually tell when someone will have an ice attack, which you really can't what with everyone being so scared of Garchomp and Salamence. Those two survive because of their ability to swiftly nail things in one shot. Torterra doesn't have their attack or anywhere close to their speed, so the same stuff that's designed to stop Garchomp and Sala in their tracks will murder it.

doent this thing also learn curse? I've liked the idea at using this as a curser, as, apart from the ice weekenss, it has the ability to stay in long enough to pull it off.

But the ice is kind of a big deal. It will even fall to fire. The only reason curse has worked so well on Snorlax is because it's not weak to any special attacks (no longer true in D/P) and can start out already hard to kill with neutral damage in physical or special. As soon as you start cursing with Torterra, in comes the [anything] with ice beam and you've gotten nowhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)