Torterra (QC: 2/2 GP: 2/2)

TrollFreak is helping me write this one.

First analysis too, having a lot of fun making this.

Torterra

[Overview]

<p>Torterra faces stiff competition from other, bulkier Grass-types in the VGC 2012 metagame, such as Ferrothorn. However, with a respectable base 109 Attack, decent stats around the board, an immunity to Discharge, one of the most common spread moves in the metagame, along with the growing popularity of Pokemon it can handle such as Gastrodon and Swampert, this turtle can really make the earth shake.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Attacker
move 1: Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Protect / Wide Guard
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
ability: Overgrow
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is meant to fully utilize one of Torterra’s best perks: its base 109 Attack stat. The hardest decision when using Torterra is whether to run Wood Hammer or Seed Bomb. Wood Hammer is the more powerful option, but its recoil forces the use of a Life Orb, as it is illogical with a Focus Sash. However, if you don't want to suffer from any of these downsides and still want to use Focus Sash, Seed Bomb is your best option. Earthquake is a given move, serving as a powerful STAB attack. Rock Slide is also mandatory, hitting the Flying-types that resist Torterra's STABs. Protect is also needed, as nearly every other VGC Pokemon uses it too, and it also can be used to scout attacks. Wide Guard can be considered because it blocks Heat Wave and Blizzard, two common moves in the metagame. A Brave Nature plus 0 Speed IVs are needed to minimize Speed while maximizing Attack, which furthers Torterra's excellence as a Trick Room sweeper.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To fully utilize this set, Trick Room is an absolute must. Cresselia, Musharna, and Bronzong act as amazing partners, with immunity to Earthquake and, in Cresselia and Musharna's case, the ability to boost the power of Earthquake with Helping Hand. Other good partners are other Trick Room users, such as Dusclops, Reuniclus, Slowking, among many others; however, they lack said Earthquake immunity. Pokemon that can set up weather, such as Tyranitar and Hippowdon, also pair greatly with Torterra. Tyranitar is the highest recommended, seeing as they are both immune to Sandstorm recoil and their only common weakness is Bug, which is almost never seen in the VGC metagame. It is also worth mentioning again that Torterra can be a great Swampert, Gastrodon, and Rhyperior counter. Another effective combo is Torterra in conjunction with the Rotom formes, as they can eliminate Torterra's threats, such as Tornadus, Thundurus, Scizor, and Fire-types, depending on the form. To add to the success of their pairing, Rotom is immune to the turtle's Earthquakes, and Torterra is immune to Discharge as well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Crunch is a viable option, allowing you to deal a little bit better with Latios, Latias, and other Psychic-types. Yache Berry can also replace Focus Sash or Life Orb, although you lose some of the benefits of the those items. If Life Orb or Focus Sash has already been taken up due to Item Clause, a Grass or Ground Gem is recommended.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hail teams are the bane of Torterra's existence, as Blizzard always OHKOes a non-Focus Sash set. Even with Rock Slide, Zapdos, Salamence, and Thundurus still check Torterra effectively, while Ludicolo and Politoed can end him quickly. Teams meant to counter Trick Room will render Torterra useless, as it is very slow.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Torterra gets Shell Armor via Dream World, which protects it from critical hits. Although that kind of protection is interesting, critical hits are mostly based on luck anyways, and Shell Armor Torterra is incompatible with Seed Bomb. Overall, Overgrow is the more useful ability, as it can be effectively abused with a Focus Sash.</p>

Honestly, several sections of this analysis look shoddy. Razor Leaf isn't hurting anything with a base power of ~41 after the 75% spread damage reduction. Wood Hammer and Focus Sash together is a pretty derpy idea when Seed Bomb exists. Your EVs are pretty bad; you only lose a slight amount of physical bulk but gain a large amount of special bulk by using 252 HP EVs instead of Defense EVs. The threats you mention taking on are also pretty funky. Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Kingdra hardly stop Torterra dead in its tracks when they all take neutral damage from Earthquake.

You might want to do a bit more playtesting on PO to get a better grasp on what Torterra can and can't do.

@TheMantyke

Seed Bomb added to the main set and the EVs have been changed, while I also did state that WH+FS is a bad idea, and that's why I put Life Orb in as another option. Threat list has also been edited.

I can move Razor Leaf to OO if you want.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Razor Leaf shouldn't even be OO, it should be completely gone.

Wood Hammer and Focus Sash can't both be the first option at once. If the best set is Wood Hammer, then LO should be the first option. If Sash is the best option then Seed Bomb should be the first choice.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
ok, i promised that i would help, so here it is

the format is wrong, which is ok

[SET]
move 4: Protect
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Also, i would like to see more mention of Yache Berry, 95 / 105 / 85 defenses are good, and it can pull of a Yache Berry set very well

also, just make this a Trick Room attacker with Brave as the only nature and the ivs at 0, as 56 base speed isn't good at all, but utilzing Trick Room isn't a bad idea.

Also, Torterra isn't a Rain Counter, as it is neutral to Water, and 99.9% of rain abusers have Ice Beam

Superpower is useless on Torterra, I think it should be removed from the OO. The only thing it hits that Torterra's STAB doesn't are Normal, Ice and Dark types, and Torterra loses to Ice types anyways

Mention partners that can beat Ice-types; Rotom-H is a good example, they can pair up for a DisQuake combo, and Rotom-H has Overheat to deal with Ice Types Torterra then deals with Rock and Water types with it's STABs.

Other than that, great work :P

CTRL+F Wide Guard. No results.

Mention Wide Guard, it's an excellent move for Torterra.

Edit: It's good enough to be put on the main set.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@tr set

That isn't different enough for a new set, just mention using brave 0 speed and max hp

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can't imagine Outrage being good. A 50% chance to hit latios or garchomp a little harder isn't worth the being locked into it and the confusion afterwards.

Crunch might be nice for hitting the lati@s and other Psychics for SE damage without having to take recoil damage from Wood Hammer.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
Pokemon that you hit with neutral stab, and who only do the same back to you are not counters. Trust me, this Pokemon is bad enough you can come up with better counters that Kingdra and Amoongus. You can just talk about how countering TR set up will effectively counter Torterra.

Also you shouldn't mention Ferro as competition, they serve completely different purposes.

Also neither Synthesis nor Leech Seed need a mention Torterra is not bulky enough, and has too many bad weaknesses it to be effective.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
2 / 2 but fix up formatting. no spaces after / before <p>, correct stat abbreviations and spacing between slashes, add this -> ivs: 0 Spe

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i think this needs a few more details added in, its pretty sparse right now

firstly, in the overview i would mention immunity to discharge, and a resistance to rock slide, two common spread moves

i'd slash wide guard after protect, and also mention that wide guard protects torterra from blizzards which are incredibly common in this format

i would take ninetales out of AC as a good partner, because sun doesnt benefit torterra and it's hurt by earthquake
i'd also add that cresselia is a good partner because of helping hand access, to boost up earthquake
also mention grass gem and ground gem in oo if focus sash and life orb are being used due to item clause

try to expand more on why overgrow would be better than shell armor, just one sentence isn't going to cut it

Me
Am check status: Done
Blue=Add
Red=remove
Teal=Comments
[Overview]

<p>Torterra faces a lot of stiff competition from other, a bit bulkier, Grass-types in the VGC 2012 metagame, like Tangrowth. However, with a respectable 109 Attack and some other good stats around the board, immunity to Discharge and Rock Slide (two one of the most common status spreading moves in this metagame), along with an amassing popularity with of Pokesmon like Gastrodon and Swampert, this turtle can really make the earth shake.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Protect / Wide Guard
evs: 252 HP /(Add ONE Space) 252 Atk /(Add ONE Space)4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is meant to fully utilize one of Torterra’s best perks: its 109 Attack, impressive, considering its Grass-typing. The hardest decision about Torterra is whether to run with Wood Hammer or Seed Bomb. Wood Hammer is the more powerful option, but its recoil forces the use of a Life Orb set. However,(add comma) if you don't want to suffer from any of these downsides and still want your sash, Seed Bomb is your best option. Earthquake is a given move, seeing as it’s one of Torterra’s best STABs. Rock Slide is also a huge mandatory move, as it should be. Protect is also needed, as nearly every other VGC Pokemon has it too, although Wide Guard can be considered because it sponges up Heat Wave and Blizzard, two common moves. Overgrow + Focus Sash can be a great combo, although it's better to run Life Orb if you want to run Wood Hammer. A Brave nature is needed to fulfill its set name minimize Speed while maximizing Attack, which furthers Torterra's excellence as a Trick Room sweeper..</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To fully utilize this set, Trick Room is an absolute must. Cresselia, Musharna, and Bronzong,(add comma) act as amazing partners with resistance to its Earthquakes and,(remove comma) in Cresselia and Musharna's case, the ability to boost the power of Earthquake with Helping Hand. Another good choice are other Trick Roomers users, like Dusclops, Reuniclus, Slowking, and many others; etc; however, they lack said EQ Earthquake resistance. Weather Pokemon that can setups weather like Tyranitar and Hippowdon also pair with it greatly with Torterra. Tyranitar is the highest recommended, seeing as they both resist are immune to sandstorm recoil and the only weakness they share is Bug, which is almost never seen in the VGC format metagame . It is also worth a mentioning again that Torterra can be a great Swampert, Gastrodon, and Rhyperior ,(add comma)counter. Another effective combo is Torterra + in conjunction with Rotom-H, seeing as how it can eliminate Torterra's threats and resists the EQs Earthquake , and how the turtle can resist the oven's Discharges,(add comma) and vice-(add hyphen)versa. Immunity to Leech Seed can also knock Jumpluff and Whimsicott off of its threat list too.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Crunch is viable option, allowing you to have a little better time dealing with Latios, Latias, and other Psychics-types. Yache Berry can also be replaced with FS Focus Sash and LO Life Orb , although you loose some benefits of the aforementioned items. If the Life Orb or Focus Sash has already been taking up due to Item Clause, a Grass or Ground Gem can be recommended.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>One of the downsides about all of these strengths is that Torterra has several counters. Hail teams are the bane of its existence, as Blizzards always OHKOs a non-Focus Sash set. Even with Rock Slide, Zapdos, Salamence, and Thundurus,(add comma) still check Torterra effectively, while Ludicolo and Politoed can end him quickly. Teams meant to counter Trick Room will render Torterra useless, as it is very slow.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Torterra gets Shell Armor via Dream World, which protects it from Critical Hits. Although that kind of protection is interesting, its weakness to common types will almost knock it to into Focus Sash range, giving Seed Bomb a great boost, making it overall the best ability Torterra can run.</p> I have no clue what you're saying in the last sentence. Are you saying that Shell Armor is better? Is Overgrow better? Be more specific.
Note to gp team member: there was a lot of stuff to change/add, so i just tried to make the stuff flowww a lot better

say "Overgrow is the overall more useful ability". Should be fine then. Now wait for a gp member to approve or add more things

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)