1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Total Balance

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Dat Blast, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Dat Blast

Dat Blast Comin' atcha
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogon

Total Balance: An NU RMT

[​IMG]

Introduction:

Hey guys, I'm Dat Blast here bringing you my first ever RMT. This is a team I've been working on forever, and I've been waiting for a good opportunity to showcase it. Now that I've gotten back on my feet with this account, and finally reached 100 posts, this seems like the perfect time. So without further ado, let's hop right into it! Hope you enjoy!

The Team at a Glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The Team:
    [​IMG]
    S-Pede (Scolipede) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    -Spikes
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Megahorn
    -Aqua Tail

Scolipede is the newest addition to my team, and has been a key player ever since. (Thanks Dell!) He functions as my Spiker, my T-Spikes absorber and my Grass-type check, and he's great at it. Bulky Scolipede is my favorite Pede variant to run atm, having significantly more longevity than his other sets while maintaining plenty of offensive presence through STAB Megahorn. Anyway, I think this guy alone almost single-handedly removed my team's weakness to poison and Grass-types, so I'd definitely consider him a very important member. Other than that, there's not much to say here. Scolipede's cool.
    [​IMG]
    The Eel Deal (Eelektross) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 SAtk / 124 Spd
    Modest Nature
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Flamethrower
    -Giga Drain

Eelektross is here to counter the ever-present Alomomola and provide a slow Volt Switch for my team to benefit from. I originally used the mixed set, but because I never really ever used Superpower and it detracted from his bulk, I changed to a fully special set. (I kept Expert Belt though cuz surprise factor rules :)). No weaknesses is always great, and many opponents have often struggled to KO the eel because of that. Lack of resistances and no recovery outside of Giga Drain sucks though, but Eelektross has still pulled its weight more times than I can count.
    [​IMG]
    Queen Mean (Jynx) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Dry Skin
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    -Lovely Kiss
    -Trick

Jynx was my go-to Scarfer because it's just so good in that role. I mainly chose her because of Dry Skin, which is an amaazzing ability for a Scarfer with the immunity to Aqua Jet. Jynx functions as my main revenge killer, momentum disruptor, and Water-type check, and she does a damn good job at it. The only problem with the set is its lack of power, as I sometimes which I was LO or SubPlot just for the sake of breaking through certain bulky Grass-types easier. Even so, Jynx is awesome at her job and imo the best Scarfer in the tier.
    [​IMG]
    Dream Float (Musharna) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
    Bold Nature
    -Baton Pass
    -Psychic
    -Moonlight
    -Heal Bell

I needed a way to deal with bulky Grass-Poisons (mostly Vileplume with Leech Seed >:| ), so I quickly added Musharna. And that was an amazing decision on my end, because Musharna is just about the best Pokemon ever. It serves as my Vileplume check, my Fighting check, and my main defensive pivot, because it literally never dies. (Just as a side note, I'm pretty sure it's actually impossible to OHKO Musharna in NU, at least without boosting up. Twice.) Anyway, Musharna has been a true team player ever since it was inducted into the team, and well earned her spot on this team. Also, as a minor update, I've replaced Thunder Wave with Heal Bell; because the new addition Scolipede now runs Toxic Spikes which mostly renders T-wave useless, Heal Bell now occupies this moveslot to heal my team of annoying status.
    [​IMG]
    Combat Toad (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 44 SDef / 12 Spd
    Relaxed Nature
    -Stealth Rock
    -Scald
    -Earthquake
    -Toxic

I think Seismitoad is my go-to Stealth Rocker on, like, 90% of my teams, since he's just so good. Awesome Water / Ground typing and great bulk makes him hands-down the best SR setter in the tier. Scald and Earthquake are great moves too, to burn stuff and manhandle Jynx, which makes him an awesome utility mon. This guy is really, really underappreciated when compared to say, Golurk, and while I can sort of see why (Golurk can spinblock his own rocks), I still firmly believe the toad is way better just because he's so good and reliable at what he does. There really isn't much that hasn't been said about him. He's a really great Pokemon and honestly just rules when compared to other SR setters.
    [​IMG]
    Second Gear (Klang) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 40 SDef / 92 Spd
    Impish Nature
    -Rest
    -Shift Gear
    -Sleep Talk
    -Gear Grind

Klang is another completely underrated threat in today's NU, and I don't really see why. Sure, it has sucky coverage, but it (especially RestTalk variants) makes up for that with sheer bulk and longevity, and access to an amazing setup move in Shift Gear. Klang supports this team both offensively and defensively, completing my defensive core as well as being able to reliably sweep if it feels like it. It sets up in the face of so many Pokemon (Musharna, Scolipede, and Jynx to name a few) and was definitely worth a spot on the team.

Threatlist:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Grass-types: Vileplume, Shiftry, and Sawsbuck in particular can be really, really annoying for my team to face. I thought Klang would be a pretty good counter to most Grass-types, and the recent addition of Musharna to the team would help deal with Vileplume a little better, but unfortunately I still find myself struggling with them.

EDIT: Scolipede has helped to mostly remove this weakness. Vileplume can still sometimes be annoying, but I think I can still consider this threat neutralized.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bulky Offense: Samurott, Eelektross, and Charizard give this team major problems, since if they get a free switch-in they basically get a kill. Also, they can prove to be resilient and rarely go down in one hit (except maybe Charizard). Basically, the general concept of being able to take a hit and fire one back is really problematic for my team, these three threats in particular due to their versatility.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Toxic Spikes / Poison: My team has got pretty much nothing to deal with poison; no Poison-types of my own, no clerics, no anything. Klang is immune to Poison, but he's the only one and everything else is pretty much vulnerable to being Toxic stalled. It's also annoying I actually DID have a switch-in to poison in an earlier version of the team (Scolipede) but I ended up getting rid of him.

EDIT: The combination of Scolipede and Musharna has removed this threat. Between Pede absorbing T-Spikes and Mushy having Heal Bell, I rarely have to worry about this anymore. Threat neutralized.

Conclusion:

Well, there's the team. Thank you for taking the time to read this RMT, and feel free to test out the team for yourself and leave any suggestions! Thanks!

Importable:
    Show Hide

S-Pede (Scolipede) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    -Spikes
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Megahorn
    -Aqua Tail

The Eel Deal (Eelektross) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 SAtk / 124 Spd
    Modest Nature
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Flamethrower
    -Giga Drain

Queen Mean (Jynx) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Dry Skin
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    -Lovely Kiss
    -Trick

Dream Float (Musharna) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
    Bold Nature
    -Baton Pass
    -Psychic
    -Moonlight
    -Heal Bell

Combat Toad (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 44 SDef / 12 Spd
    Relaxed Nature
    -Stealth Rock
    -Scald
    -Earthquake
    -Toxic

Second Gear (Klang) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 40 SDef / 92 Spd
    Impish Nature
    -Rest
    -Shift Gear
    -Sleep Talk
    -Gear Grind
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    scotti and Soulgazer like this.
  2. Detective Dell

Detective Dell Winter Hibernation of the Yarnasauruses
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hey there

What I've been seeing on this team is some unnecessary additions to adjust a slot on, as some of those members either cover most of the same threats as other members or are just dead weight on its own because they don't fit very well with the current support that you have going on for this team. With that being said, I don't particularly agree that Samurott is the right slot for this team, and while it's certainly a great sweeper in its own right, I feel that with what's going on with most of the cores of the team currently suits it to be more tailor-made around a Klang sweep. To further take advantage of this, I would suggest replacing Samurott with Bulky Scolipede, who is capable of providing Spikes and Toxic Spikes support while also being able to cover this team's match ups while also being able to cover this team's match up against the aforementioned Grass-types well with its great Speed, typing that works well against them, and STAB Megahorn to reliably threaten them. I've also found that this team matches up incredibly well against most Poison-types, giving you an astounding amount of opportunities to take advantage of Toxic Spikes throughout games and cripple Alomomola, a key threat to manage for when supporting bulky Klang. Since you'll be using Toxic Spikes, I would agree suggest that you replace Thunder Wave on Musharna with Heal Bell, which can be very helpful to support Klang when it's resting and doesn't have time to stay in and Sleep Talk. The loss of Thunder Wave isn't at all a big deal giving how much distribution that Toxic Spikes support provides for this team. While optional, you can also try Calm Mind over Baton Pass to have a secondary win condition that also benefits from Toxic Spikes support and the fact that this team doesn't really have anything overly threatening to switch into for it to really be necessary. On the same token, you can also try Superpower to lure specific threats like Lickilicky or Audino (again optional though).

Hope I helped, and a thanks to my friend ebeast for helping discussing this rate with me. :>

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Dat Blast

Dat Blast Comin' atcha

Completed C&C Work:
    [​IMG] - Misdreavus
    [​IMG] - Jynx
    [​IMG] - Garbodor
    [​IMG] - Ludicolo
    [​IMG] - Zebstrika
    [​IMG] - Sawsbuck
    [​IMG] - Camerupt
    [​IMG] - Seismitoad
    [​IMG] - Pineco
    [​IMG] - Roselia (Additional Comments)
    [​IMG] - Magmar

Current Projects:
    [​IMG] - Probopass
    [​IMG] - Altaria
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. Dat Blast

Dat Blast Comin' atcha

After some testing, Scolipede has now officially replaced Samurott on the team. Thanks!

I've also replaced T-wave with Heal Bell on Mushy, but I ended up keeping Baton Pass > CM after a lot of thought. I feel Mushy serves this team better as a slow pivot, and while it's a great sweeper, I don't feel as if Mushy was ever meant to sweep on this team. It was mainly meant to force out a few threats and Baton Pass as they switched to build momentum.

Finally, Eelektross. I will say there were some scenarios where I would have liked to have Superpower, but mostly I preferred Volt Switch. But then again, Mushy is the main pivot for my team, so I'll still be considering Superpower.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)