Tournament Battle! Deck Knight V. Destiny Warrior (R2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This battle's over, so by normal rules I can post. THIS ROCKED! I just have to say that every one of Deck's creative moves made sense, and the way he put things to use in quirky ways made it such an awesome read. I'm stoked that all of his crazy antics paid off even though DW was crafty himself, and as a result that think this is by far the highlight match of the round. Great job, all around!

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait wait wait.

I don't think going underwater should really heal burns for free. Think about it man. Steelix is WEAK to Water, and in this case it is actually staying underwater for some time(1 full action to be specific). I really think that should have merited at least 5 damage, which would mean I win. Also, burns do NOT get cured instantly. Yes, you hold your burn under cold water, but does it like disappear at once? Nope. Even if there is a lot of water available, it takes time for the whole thing to cool down. Steelix should have had the burn for at least another action.

I'd like to request this be looked into before this match is settled.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait wait wait.

I don't think going underwater should really heal burns for free. Think about it man. Steelix is WEAK to Water, and in this case it is actually staying underwater for some time(1 full action to be specific). I really think that should have merited at least 5 damage, which would mean I win. Also, burns do NOT get cured instantly. Yes, you hold your burn under cold water, but does it like disappear at once? Nope. Even if there is a lot of water available, it takes time for the whole thing to cool down. Steelix should have had the burn for at least another action.

I'd like to request this be looked into before this match is settled.
The move that healed burn was a combination of being underwater and Harden, not just being underwater itself. Harden was used to renew Steelix's skin under the idea Burn was an external injury. Weakness to water doesn't make you take damage just from being in it either. There was an Anime episode with a Surfing Rhydon of all things. I'm pretty sure there's water in every single Pokemon, including Fire-types and mechanical mons, and possibly even Ghosts (other than Jellicent obv.)

You should just be happy that going underwater didn't evade your long-distance Hidden Power in the first place, which was part of my original intent of the move just in case it wouldn't plausibly heal burn.

Destiny Warrior

Those are fair points Deck.

I haven't seen that episode Deck, but I'm pretty sure the Rhydon wasn't underwater? That's the basis of my argument. I don't think standing in water should cause damage, but going underwater when weak to Water without any negative effect is shaky in my opinion. Sort of like how a Grass Pokemon can walk on ice without any problem, but if it gets into ice it should definitely get hurt.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Those are fair points Deck.

I haven't seen that episode Deck, but I'm pretty sure the Rhydon wasn't underwater? That's the basis of my argument. I don't think standing in water should cause damage, but going underwater when weak to Water without any negative effect is shaky in my opinion. Sort of like how a Grass Pokemon can walk on ice without any problem, but if it gets into ice it should definitely get hurt.
Data Audit Thread said:
Fire:

One of the basic elemental types of Pokemon, Fire-types are noteworthy for being much more energy-oriented than most of their fellow Pokemon. While other Pokemon are mostly physical mass, Fire-types are an energy powerhouse not unlike their Electric brethren, but the constant erratic nature of fire is much harder to contain. As a result, Fire-types heat the air surrounding their bodies to about 90 degrees Farenheight when at rest. Their flames are often just irradiated energy taking that form and are above your average room temperature, but by no means lethal or even particularly dangerous. Fire-types emit a low glow in dark places with or without an open flame, which does light the area around them somewhat but also gives away their position. At high levels, Fire types can also utilize energy from the sun to maintain and augment their energy, utilizing the sun's natural radiation.

In battle their irradiated energy changes quickly however, and Fire-types can emit heat from their attacks that easily burns skin, melts rock, or otherwise does intense external damage to the various matter/energy constructs of Pokemon skin. Fire types themselves are immune to burning, and highly resistant to freezing (though it is not impossible if a limb without an open flame is targeted). Strong fire attacks can easily overpower weaker water attacks, despite the type disadvantage. Most Fire types can swim, however if they have open flames active (rather than irradiating) they will take small amounts of damage. Fire attacks cannot be used effectively underwater or in space (why would you battle in space dummy!), as they require oxygen for combustion. During Rain, any active open flames will emit steam, while irradiated energy will give off no signal of being effected. The Fire-type is not damaged by rain, although obviously their Fire attacks will be greatly reduced in effectiveness.

Summary: Fire STAB; immune to burn, 50% reduction in freeze chance, emit a low glow in dark places, takes additional damage if active open flames are exposed to a water attack. Superior senses in volcanic or brushfire areas.
Now why would I quote Fire STAB? Because Fire types are the most logical Pokemon to actually take damage from water, yet they don't unless they are using a fire-attack (open flames) at the time, basically. They also don't get damaged in Rain Dance, even if using Fire attacks.

Honestly DW this is a ridiculous contrivance. Why should the damage be 5, specifically, instead of 2 or 3 (if any at all)? If it's 5 damage does Sturdy reduce it by 1? Because only when it's 5 damage, not reduced by Sturdy, would it have any impact on this battle requiring review.

Having an elemental weakness does not mean you will be damaged by a natural presence of that element. This is obviously different for basically any mon walking into a fire, but that's because actively walking into a fire kills things in real life. The cellular damage is real and immediate. Ice might have an argument in the abstract but plants have cell walls to protect against external damage, any damage they take from ice is usually internal because the water locked in their cells expands when frozen and the cell wall acts as a hindrance to release. Just putting a plant in a cold place won't do anything unless it's there for a sufficiently long time for the water in its cells to freeze over.

Should Electric Pokemon take 5 damage every time they use Dig? After all, they're digging into the Ground and they are Ground weak! Hey, Steelix is weak to Ground too, should I factor that into a Dig purchase? What about Aggron, its 4x weak to Ground, should it take 10 damage from Digging? And Normal Pokemon are weak to Fighting, they better not get into any fights!

I barely appreciate sour grapes as it is, but this is bordering on the ridiculous.

Destiny Warrior

I missed that part on Fire STAB description, sorry.

That means I'm wrong, apologies for taking your time. Thank you for helping me out on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)