1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Tournaments!!

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by Matthew, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Tournaments are a great part of smogon, in fact I'm enjoying just playing pokemon and everything as is right now. When I look at tournaments though, I feel like there isn't really much incentive to play besides "Oh, I can say I've won xyz" and improve your street cred. I mean all that's well and good but I am bringing up the idea of pay to play tournaments again. People pay an entrance fee for the tournament and then play to obtain first place and a big portion of all the fees collected. Second place receives less than first and third receives less than second. Something like 50% 30% 20%?? This should be easy enough to do with PayPal, though that's me mostly guessing, I'm sure there's ways to do it without much effort though.

The thing about these tournaments is that we want to make it the most fair we possibly can. So, while I think all tournaments should be best of 3 anyway, these tournaments specifically should have to require it.

I also didn't know if IS or PR would be better for this or Tournaments so w/e.
  2. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

There's no way I would pay to play in a tournament on smogon. How many 14 year olds on this site have cash on hand?
  3. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

This has been discussed in the past and I feel like the general consensus is that most people aren't willing to pony down the cash for a game that relies far too much on luck.
  4. Oglemi

Oglemi gimme
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Yeah, this seems like the fast track to shit like Parents Against the Internet, or whatever the hell, to dig their claws into our site because we're "stealing" money from minors who "don't know what they're getting in for."
  5. Aldaron

Aldaron indefatigable workhorse
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

I would have no problem doing pay to play, I think it would fit in well with rapid monetization scheme we've been undergoing over the past two years.
  6. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

It is very likely illegal for us to run pay for play tournaments for minors. Players would need to certify they are over 18 or have their parents' permission (and PayPal account) to play.

Pokemon is not as much of a luck based game as people make it out to be. In best of one single elimination tournaments, it absolutely is, but that's the equivalent of playing a single hand of poker to decide a tournament. A best of three double elimination tournament would all but minimize the effects of luck while preserving the probability managment that is at the core of any competitive Pokemon team or battle.

Plus with the smaller number of participants, a double elimination tournament would add length to a 16-man event, making it seem more valuable / involved / etc rather than something that gets knocked out in a week.

@aldaron: i'm on as long as it's the summer or something
  7. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It is very hard to trust people you have never met before with your money... furthermore, we have a huge player base of 13-16 year old players and they probably couldnt play.

If this were to happen, I would recommend it happened in private.
  8. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I gauged interest for this long ago and there seemed to be lots of it, but nobody ever set anything up. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to play Pokémon for money, but oh well.
  9. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

tournaments forever!!!
  10. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

how bout we try giving away a tshirt as an incentive to win
  11. noobster

noobster space cowboy
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament

still waiting for mine from ST2 :<

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)