Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Celticpride

Toxapex

Pokedex Number - 748
Type(s) -

Base Stats* - 50 HP / 62 Atk / 152 Def / 53 SAtk / 142 SDef / 35 Spe

Abilities
Ability 1 - Merciless: The Pokémon's attacks become critical hits if the target is poisoned.
Ability 2 - Limber: The Pokémon cannot be Paralysed while having this ability.
Hidden Ability - Regenerator: When the Pokémon switches out of battle, up to 33.3% of its maximum Hit Points are restored

Level Up
- Baneful Bunker
- Poison Sting
- Peck
- Bite
- Toxic Spikes
5 Peck
9 Bite
13 Toxic Spikes
17 Wide Guard
21 Toxic
25 Venoshock
29 Spike Cannon
33 Recover
37 Poison Jab
44 Venom Drench
51 Pin Missile
58 Liquidation

TM
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM55 Scald
TM66 Payback
TM79 Frost Breath
TM83 Infestation
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide

Egg
Haze
Spit Up
Stockpile
Swallow

Toxapex has incredible defenses and access to a great typing and reliable recovery. It sponges hits like nobody's business, and deals with totally broken threats like Pheromosa. It is very passive, however, and can't do much against several Pokemon. It still seems very potent, however, due to its great stallmon capabilities.

Sample Set(s):

Tank

Toxapex @ Black Sludge / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes

Merciless, Baneful Bunker and to a lesser extent, Infestation, are all TRASH and should not be run.

rest is WIP

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Additionally, Black Sludge is better since it punishes mons (ish) for trying to Trick/Switcheroo you something else.

Toxapex is so annoying lol... Baneful Bunker is annoying, Regenarator is annoying and its bulk plus amazing defensive typing is amazing. Good thing we have this mon because it checks a good amount of the current broken mons (Pheromosa). Toxapex will be essential on stall or balanced oriented teams I feel, ths mon is definitely not budging from OU for sure. I would expect it to be somewhere in the A-B+ rankings in terms of viability.

Toxapex has one thing going for it and rare are the mons that share it in the game: it just never dies.

It's an incredible defensive Pokémon and many, MANY would kill to just at least get Recover, but this thing gets BOTH Recover and Regenerator!

It's so passive though. Beside Toxic damage, it's offensive presence is abysmal, but at least it is not set-up fodder because it has Haze. Oh yea did I mention it has Haze too? It just has everything for a defensive mon, but unlike ones like Ferrothorn, it just sits there and eats attack all day without being able to dish out decent damage.

I really don't like baneful bunker on this mon. It has much better moves to run like haze, t-spikes, toxic or even poison jab. Besides, the most common attacks aimed at this mon will be earthquakes and thunderbolts.

I feel like you should use either Toxic or Toxic Spikes on the last slot. Baneful Bunker is interesting, but I feel like Toxic is much better due to consistency and Toxic Spikes for its utility.

This thing is incredible; it just never dies. If you don't have a Tapu Koko/Lele/Hoopa you are not taking this thing down lol.

Toxapex has one thing going for it and rare are the mons that share it in the game: it just never dies.

It's an incredible defensive Pokémon and many, MANY would kill to just at least get Recover, but this thing gets BOTH Recover and Regenerator!

It's so passive though. Beside Toxic damage, it's offensive presence is abysmal, but at least it is not set-up fodder because it has Haze. Oh yea did I mention it has Haze too? It just has everything for a defensive mon, but unlike ones like Ferrothorn, it just sits there and eats attack all day without being able to dish out decent damage.
Toxapex @ Air Balloon
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Scald

SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus on a critical hit: 102-120 (61.8 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after poison damage

252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Toxapex: 133-156 (84.7 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dugtrio on a critical hit: 114-134 (103.6 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Great set to revenge kill lando or dugtrio.

0 Atk Toxapex Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 116-138 (105.4 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And Shuca would be better than air balloon I think.

I love this guy so much. Fave new pokemon of the gen. I'm always running rocky helmet with it, because with Regen there's always opportunities to get its health back, but due to its generally weak offenses, I feel like it has to scrounge up as much damage as it can get.

So this is the semi-offensive Toxapex I'm running right now

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Venoshock
- Baneful Bunker
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover

With the context that it's on the same team as fast sweeping Salazzle with Toxic.

It's not quite as durable as the above sets, and it has a huge weakness to poison and steel types that sets with scald lack, but it's still damn near impossible to kill and it punishes switch ins against anything but poison and steel types hard due to the toxic spikes. Between it and Salazzle, they can badly cripple a team quick.

This thing is stupid. Gamefreak took all the good parts of Tentacruel and Alomomola and put them in one shitty package.

The real reason I'm posting is as a plea: don't use Baneful Bunker. It's shit. Anything poisoned by it, barring physical fire types (which is like 2 viable mons rn lol), you would rather have burned. Toxic should be your go to to spread poison around so that it can actually fuck up the special threats toxic is meant to shaft.

Also stop pretending like Merciless is viable please

Toxic isn't protect though. I figure that's the point of using Baneful Bunker in any set that does, including my own. The fact that it poisons on contact is just a bonus that rarely comes into play.

i also dont understand what would be the point of using Baneful on a mon like this. like if you want to scout sets, im pretty sure Recover + Regenerator does that better than protect alone. rack-up toxic damage? im sure Haze + Recover does that job just fine. like theres no point in running Baneful when Toxic is much more secure (side note: Baneful Bunker doesnt badly poisons), you need Recover for obvious reasons, Scald burns shit up, Haze to not be set-up fodder and Toxic Spikes for utility. its just a terrible choice IMHO.

I think this mon is perhaps a bit overhyped. It really suffers on all terrains apart from grassy, which really could hurt its viability, altho i respect its survivability as a pivoting hazard setter or status spreader. Haze + Regenerator is a nice combo too, lets you take a boosted hit and still be helpful later in the match. I think once all the ubers that it checks leave the tier it might become a bit less useful compared to other mons that take hits and also have offensive presence

Once the meta settles, Mantine will probably be the preferred choice. It's overall more bulky on the special side, with only 2 less base Sp. Def and 35 more base HP. It can do the same things (Scald, Roost, and Haze), minus Toxic Spikes and Baneful Bunker (which suck), provides extra utility with Defog, and checks pretty much the same things. Mantine also boasts a better defensive typing (only two weaknesses to Rock and Electric as opposed to Toxapex's three to Electric, Ground, and Psychic, plus two immunties (Water due to Water Absorb and Ground due to its Flying type).

Once the meta settles, Mantine will probably be the preferred choice. It's overall more bulky on the special side, with only 2 less base Sp. Def and 35 more base HP. It can do the same things (Scald, Roost, and Haze), minus Toxic Spikes and Baneful Bunker (which suck), provides extra utility with Defog, and checks pretty much the same things. Mantine also boasts a better defensive typing (only two weaknesses to Rock and Electric as opposed to Toxapex's three to Electric, Ground, and Psychic, plus two immunties (Water due to Water Absorb and Ground due to its Flying type).
But Toxapex isn't rocks weak, and thanks to Regenerator will almost always come in at a higher health, and it resists which is pretty huge. A defensive mon immune to toxic is massive in keeping this thing alive too. Don't get me wrong, teams will have to decide between the two, but Mantine is just so much easier to wear down with chip damage, and easier to take advantage of due it it having to Roost, while Toxapex can just switch out instead, if you're inherently weak to Char-Y and Latios and maybe want a Defogger then sure, go for Mantine; but Toxapex's significantly higher physical defense means it's a much more reliable Keldeo switch in, and beats mons such as Mega Lopunny and even has a good chance to beat the likes of BandTar with the right spread.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah no on Baneful Bunker. Toxic or Toxic Spikes is infinitely better. Regular Poison does not wear down sweepers nor tanks that well.

Obligatory reminder that Infestation is actually a considerable source of passive damage now that burn has been nerfed. It stacks with poison or burn too, so you can easily run it alongside Scald if you really want.

Obligatory reminder that Infestation is actually a considerable source of passive damage now that burn has been nerfed. It stacks with poison or burn too, so you can easily run it alongside Scald if you really want.
Infestation, Recover, Toxic, Scald/Haze? Possibly. Infestation prevents double switches. Not a horrible idea.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
i can't make him fit in my stall team, idk why. I need so much a supporter such as chansey for status effects or a defogger for hazards-stacking, and zygarde is an auto-include imo. I would prefer haze over infestation for status abusers.

You're not going to run Infestation AND Scald, so it's a question of whether you prefer to trap + Toxic walls, or do underwhelming but decent damage to attackers.

There are a lot of cases where Infestation will shine, but I think on balance you have to go with Scald.

Infestation seems fine in terms of trapping and letting the target's counter switch-in with no fear of being out-predicted... but there's the problem of 4MSS. It has no room for the move.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect infestation to become standard, but it's a really overlooked move and it certainly has a place on some specific sets, I'm sure.

Everyone here is saying Baneful Bunker is bad, but it saved me once against a team spamming U-Turn and even prevented a Rapid Spin from happening. I think it does have some uses against Pokémon with contact-making support attacks (U-Turn, Rapid Spin, Knock Off) who wouldn´t care about a Scald burn (special attackers don´t care about the attack drop; defensive Pokémon can compensate the burn damage with leftovers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)