SM RU Toxic Stall ft. Spider Web Araquanid

Introduction

I have a history of losing to stall just because I wanted to try some heat in OU. So I became one of them, the stall tryhards. But OU stall is pretty stale so I played in RU instead since there is little to no competition.

ctc (Aromatisse) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect
First off, Heracross is still chillin' here so a Fairy is a must. I chose Aromatisse over Florges mainly because it can't be Taunted, plus a higher base Defense. Since stall in RU has limited options in terms of reliable recovery, Wish stall was ideal. Moonblast hits decently hard, and Aromatherapy allows it to support the team. Max Def so it can switch into and scare out Fightings and Dragons. This is the Chansey.

cbb (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
The best Regi right here. Steel-typing provides many resistances, which synergizes well with Aromatisse. Rocks are a given, Toxic + Protect since its skilless stall, and Seismic Toss for consistent damage. It's mixed defensive so it can take on a variety of threats. Bronzong was considered but I don't think it fits the stall build too much. This is the Skarmory.

emvee (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Spider Web
- Soak
- Toxic
My special wall and most importantly, the Fire resists. Shoutout to DuncanKneeDeep for the best set in the game. Spider Web traps, Soak weakens the opponent and Toxic does the rest. Speaking of the rest, Rest is the only form of recovery available, which functions well with Aromatherapy support. This is the ultimate 1v1 mon. This is basically Dugtrio.

blunder (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Taunt
The most annoying mon in the game. While Sableye doesn't really have the insane bulk of its Mega, it gives the team a much needed Ghost-typing. It functions similarly to its Mega in OU, with Taunt to shut down opposing walls. This is also for emergency burns, in case Heracross gets goin'. This is the bad M-Sableye.

joey (Komala) @ Leftovers
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Wish
- U-turn
- Return
Stall is usually weak to hazard stacking, so I went with Komala as a spinner. It has decent natural bulk and speed stat against most defensive matchups, with Wish to heal itself and support the team. While it may not be the most reliable hazard control, I chose it over a Defogger because my team is reliant on Toxic Spikes on the next mon,and also it's a status absorber. The Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Goodra for revenge killing or U-turning. This is the Tangrowth, I guess.

chimp (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
Like I said above, Toxic Spikes is crucial to this stall so I went with Nidoqueen. It's more of a tank, with Life Orb to maximize damage output while being able to check many mons that threaten or stall out the team. This could be the Toxapex.

Feel free to terrorize the ladder with this. This was originally my way to learn Stall, but then it hit me: Stall players don't need to learn anything. They just skillessly click random buttons.

ctc (Aromatisse) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect

cbb (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

emvee (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Spider Web
- Soak
- Toxic

blunder (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Taunt

joey (Komala) @ Leftovers
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Wish
- U-turn
- Return

chimp (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Last edited:
EDIT:
After a bit more testing I found a few flaws in the team so I decided to swap out some mons. The original version is still usable though.
->
joey (Flygon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Earthquake
Flygon is probably the second-best hazard control option in RU, below Donphan. This gives me a much more reliable way to support Araquanid and Aromatisse, completing the Dragon-Fairy-Steel core while keeping an Electric-immunity. The Speed EVs allows it to outspeed invested base 95s, mainly Silvally, for a last-ditch Defog or U-turn. I found hazard stacking was very dangerous to the old team since Komala didn't have the stats to back its role.

->
chimp & baby chimp (Weezing) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
I wanted to keep the Poison typing and Toxic Spikes but Nidoqueen was not cuttin' it in terms of tanking so with the addition of Flygon and Weezing, I keep the same type combination while gaining another defensive switch-in to various mons. Will-o and Sludge Bomb are for fishing, and Haze so I don't lose to Comfey. This also gives me another Ground-immunity which was lacking before, and something that isn't weak to hazard stacking.

Last edited:

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I also play stall and it is cool how you have incorperated Araquanid into this team but I see some flaws which could use some fixing. Stall is not an easy playstyle as if you don't have the match-up it requires you to think ahead and make risky plays, but if you do have the match-up it is quite simple although that requires you to have built a good stall team.

>

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

This change gives you a better way to deal with Nasty Plot Mismagius while still being able to WishPass as well as function as a Cleric. This does make you weaker to fighting types but as you now have a Weezing I don't think that is that bad. Aromatisse is generally outclassed in this meta by Florges and Granbull as defensive Fairies while Umbreon is basically a staple on stall teams.

>

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Your team right now gets clean swept by bulky psychics like CM Reuniclus, CM Cresselia, CM Slowking, CM Slowbro, SubCM Meloetta and CM Necrozma. If you add AV Escavalier it allows you to beat all of these pokémon as you can Ohko most of them with Megahorn while 2hkoing Cresselia Slowbro and Necrozma. This also makes you less fighting weak which is good as you don't have Aromatisse to soak up all the fighting moves anymore.

>

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Acrobatics

This change makes up for the fact that you lose Stealth Rocks with the last change and still keeps the Defog support. This also gives you a very reliable way of dealing with Heracross which is needed for every team as Heracross is a hugely popular pokémon. Although this change makes your team a bit more passive it is a positive change anyway I think. Just so that you know Donphan is NOT better than Flygon at removing hazards.

tl:dr, Umbreon > Aromatisse, AV Escavalier > Registeel, Gligar > Flygon.

Thanks for your feedback. But I feel like this would make the team so much more weak to Dragon and Fire, with something along the lines of Komo-o and Incineroar would muscle past with Knock Off support. Will test out later :]

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for your feedback. But I feel like this would make the team so much more weak to Dragon and Fire, with something along the lines of Komo-o and Incineroar would muscle past with Knock Off support. Will test out later :]
you could change weezing for dragalge and put pyukumuku instead of araquanid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)