SM LC Toy soldiers (Peaked #2, 89,3% GXE)

Hi everyone. So today I will present my second rmt in LC. This team was initially built for a french tournament, but I ended having to play OU instead of LC, so I didn't get the occasion to play the team at this moment. That's why I decided to try to climb a bit the ladder and after a lot of haxx and chokes, I still achieved to reach top 10, as you can see here (I am Eisengott):

Now, let's get to the team process.

Team Process:

So I actually wanted to use something new, that I had never used before. That's why I chose Buneary, which seemed kinda cool. I wanted to use the Z-splash set with Baton pass. That's why I needed something to take advantage of the attack boost.

And Pawniard seemed done for that job to me. This mon has a great offensive presence and the access to a powerful stabbed priority was a thing I was looking for. But these two mons were hyper weak to fighting types.

And that is why I chose to use Croagunk as a Special sweeper. It was able to check both fighting types and Pawniard, which actually was quite useful as both my first mons struggled with them.

As all these mons were countered by Sashed Abra, I decided to add Grimer-A to trap it, but also Pumpkaboo and Gastly which where able to completely block Buneary which only had Normal moves. And I also felt like the combination of Baton Pass + a mon able to handle all the threats to Buneary was kinda cool.

For this one, it's kinda simple. I needed something to remove hazards and to handle a bit the ground-Types which could otherwise be really annoying. I didn't want to have a Rock weakness nor a third Dark-type, which is why I didn't take Vullaby. And I'm not a huge fan of his Defog set in SM anyway.

I needed a Ground resist as well as a Pivot, and I chose to use Pumpkaboo which can perform both these roles kinda well.

But then I realized that Buneary was really far from being great... This mon actually has too many downsides, and I don't think I achieved to sweep with it a single time. I was gonna suppress this team, as all the other teams that turn out being far less good than expected, when I realized that I had a really good Hazard control. So I tried with a Dwebble instead of Buneary.

It was a pretty good team and I made a decent peak with it, but as you can see in the messages below, Xayah told me several changes that could improve the team.
Here is what it eventually looks like:

The team itself

Dwebble @ Eviolite

Ability: Weak Armor
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD / 76 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

So here is the usual lead, which is also the last mon that joined the team. This mon really is cool when paired with a good hazard control core. To be honest I even feel like this set often is underestimated as people mostly care about the Shell smash set. It's simple: when you face a Timburr turn 1 for instance, the opponent will K-off 90% of the time, and then B-U or Drain punch. And anyway, no I can just set-up rocks turn 1 and then send Mareanie to counter Timburr completely. Apart from that, not a lot more to say, this set really is clean and is the key of the whole team as it allows Timburr and/or Pawniard to sweep later. The Speed Evs are there to outspeed most NP Vullaby before the speed boost and weaken/KO it depending on how lucky you get with Rock Blast. I have tried another spread with full speed this time to be absolutely sure to get at least the speedtie with non-boosted Vullaby, as it actually is really dangerous to the team. But the problem of this spread is that Dwebble is then less bulky and can't set-up Hazards as well as otherwise. But if the NP Vullaby weakness really annoys you to much, then play Dwebble full speed.

Pawniard @ Choice scarf

Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Brick break
- Sucker Punch

This mon is the first of the Hazard control core but also my fastest mon. A fairly classical set, it allows me to outspeed some threats to the team and to revenge kill them. It also is my only Flying-resist so I have to be really careful with it when I face flying spam. Not much more to say, it also is a good mon when facing sticky webs as I don't have rapid spin anymore (I initially had Staryu over Mareanie).
It also is a really important mon due to his ability to globally prevent my opponent from using defog (unless he can handle a +2 scarfed Pawniard, which usually is quite difficult).
Finally, Pawn also acts as my second Pawniard-check if Timburr is KO.

Timburr @ Eviolite

Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Here is a really great mon. Everyone know that this mon really is a destructive one, but it is especially true in this team as Timburr will usually be the win condition. Croagunk initially was there, but I was still too weak to pawn and fighting types, and that's why Xayah told me to run Timburr to counter Pawn better.
And I have to admit that this is kinda good like that. Timburr can easily win the game, especially with hazards (which help him a lot, as my opponent will have to send Croagunk/Snubbull/Spritzee each time I send Timburr, and these three mons hate hazards).
The little disadvantage now is that there only is one set-up sweeper, so you will have to be very careful with it.
Finally, Timburr really likes Grimer-a's support as it will remove abra or at least break his sash and make the rk possible for Timburr with Mach Punch.

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite

Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Gunk Shot

Speaking of the devil... So here is a really important mon. This is the mon that allows me to handle both Abra and Gastly as they really are annoying for my sweepers and especially for Timburr. It also prevents an opposing Timburr to set-up too easily as it will take the Gunk Shot before it can use Bulk Up. Fire blast is here for the case where there would be more than one thing to trap (usually Abra + Gastly). That will allow you to not lose Grimer on a sashed abra's Counter. But well, tbh as both my sweepers have priority moves, abra is no more of a problem when it is at 1%, but it also is the reason why I didn't especially want to run Shadow Sneak: I already have two powerful stabbed priorities in this team.

Mareanie @ Eviolite

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 56 HP / 180 Def / 92 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover
- Sludge Bomb

I initially had Staryu here. The big "plus" is the fact that I have now a completely safe switch-in to almost any fighting type. I can handle Timburr far more easily as I can easily win the 1V1 with Mareanie and then just switch to get my life back.
But the downside is that I can't remove hazards now and that I lack of speed, as staryu obviously was by far faster. That's why I was forced to run scarfed pawn.
Another problem is the fact that Mareanie + Timburr are less good than Staryu + Croagunk when it comes to handling Ground-types, as Staryu usually could come in, take a hit and then threaten the Ground-type with a fast Scald. That's not Mareanie's case.

Pumpkaboo-Super @ Eviolite

Ability: Frisk
EVs: 44 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 236 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Synthesis

This last mon also is the last one of my hazard control core. It was necessary too, as it could both handle spinner and Ground-type moves which were really threatening to the team. This is my best Mudbray switch-in for instance. It really is a great pivot, as it is bulky and threatening to a lot of mons thanks to will o wisp. It also eats Foongus' spore which is actually kinda cool as I can then set-up hazards with Dwebble without having to care if Foongus won't come and put something asleep, and win the 1v1 thanks to Fire Blast. Pumpkaboo can also serve as a blanket check to fighting-types, which is nice as my team is kinda weak to fighting-spam.

+
/
: Diglett already is annoying by himself as as I have 3 ground weaknesses, but it gets even more threatening if there is something that grimer is supposed to trap as Grimer could get trapped without being able to remove the threat.

: Vullaby is not a problem in general as Pawn can switch-in if it doesn't have Heat Wave and Dwebble can usually weaken it a lot. But if you face a Full speed NP Vullaby, then you can easily be in trouble. Dwebble's spread is made to allow him to outspeed 13 speed Vullaby: if you want to outspeed him most of the time, then run max speed on Dwebble.

: Ground types in general are really difficult to deal with. As Pumpkaboo is your only reliable answer to them, you will have to play it very carefully. Spikes can help, though.

Dwebble @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Gunk Shot

Pumpkaboo-Super @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 44 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 236 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Synthesis

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Sucker Punch

Timburr @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 56 HP / 180 Def / 92 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover
- Sludge Bomb

And here are some replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-580606343 (Against MK007's HO)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-582076421 (Against a sticky web)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-582029335 (Against another HO)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-581490278 (Against a more balanced team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-582357578 (Against a stranger team, but with a kinda good match-up against mine)

Thanks a lot to Xayah who helped me improving the team, by suggesting Timburr over Croagunk and Mareanie over Staryu.

Thank you for reading this rmt and see ya :]

Last edited:

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite

EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Gunk Shot

Fire blast is here to handle Pawn (because I only have Croagunk to revenge kill it safely) and for abra if i really feel like it's a sashed one.
Are you implying the burn kill finish off abra? Not really sure what you mean here.

Oh yeah, sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough ^^'
I actually meant that Fire blast can be useful for sashed Abra as they all run Counter right now. So if I still need Grimer and if I really feel like it's a sashed one (so with counter), then I can use Fire blast to break the sash on the counter and then use pursuit to beat the Abra :)

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This team is pretty cool, but I can see one issue with it: Croagunk can get overloaded easily as it is your only way of switching into Pawniard and Fighting-types (no, Pumpkaboo is not a switch-in, it dies to Knock Off) and also needs to deal with Fairies to some extent. As such, I'd like to present a couple changes:
Mareanie > Staryu While you say that your team requires hazard removal, I disagree. Nothing on your team is weak to Stealth Rock and rarely will this team give the opponent the chance to set up Spikes. As such, I'd like to see you get an extra Fighting-check in this slot in stead. Mareanie fills that role while not giving your team any notable other weaknesses, except for Ground, which I will get into later. With Recover it can function as a very effective pivot and can pretty much stop any Fighting-type in its tracks.
Bulk Up Timburr > Croagunk Because of Mareanie, your team would have a whopping 4 Ground weaknesses while relying on Pumpkaboo alone to take their hits. As such, I'd like to see you take out one of those weaknesses and replace it with Timburr, which is bulky enough to take a hit while Pumpkaboo still switches into them. Bulk Up Timburr is also still a set up sweeper with priority, so your team won't miss Nasty Plot Croagunk too much.
Choice Scarf Pawniard should be your set if you decide to follow my advice, as a lack of Staryu means your team is incredibly slow, and Pawniard solves this issue to some extent. Two Pursuit trappers is unnecessary however, so I recommend using Sucker Punch in stead of Pursuit for if Pawniard gets hit by Knock Off or if you really need a form of priority to take out faster Scarfers like Doduo or Gastly. This set also alleviates your minor weakness to Abra a bit, while Brick Break allows you to take out opposing Pawniard.

With these changes, you'll notably be weak to Flying-types as your only checks are Pawniard, which is now not that bulky anymore, and Dwebble, which is by no means the most reliable. However, this was already a weakness of the team and I think these changes alleviate a more major weakness to Fighting-types (especially Fighting spam or Fighting-type + Diglett).
Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 100 Def / 12 SpA / 100 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Haze

Timburr @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Sucker Punch

Hi, thanks for the rate

I think that what you proposed could be a great alternative to this team, as it would actually make it less weak to Fighting spam as you said. I also kinda like the idea of having Haze as it could also help me handling NP vullaby a bit better. So I'm gonna try all of this ^^
That being said, the ground weakness will still be present and the diglett + Fighting problem won't really be solved in my opinion as Mareanie still loses to Groundinium Z and sashed sets. And another problem will be croagunk: even if mareanie can handle it with haze, I still feel like it is less safe than with Staryu as it was able to threaten it a lot more. Finally, I also liked the idea of having Grimer-a + Staryu as a good hazard control core, as Grimer can just eliminate any ghost mon that would prevent Staryu from spinning. And as Spikes is quite common rn and as none of my sweeper has any recovery, I felt like rapid spin could really help.
But it's still worth trying, and it seems kinda cool, so thanks again for the rate ^^

I made the changes, the team is better like that in my opinion, thank you for the help ^^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)