1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Trap-Turn

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by cosmicfinch, Jun 13, 2012.

1. cosmicfinch

cosmicfinch

This is team trap-turn.
    It's a simple strategy, trap foes with Magnezone and Dugtrio, and kill. Lure foes to be trapped with U-Turn, and trap and kill.
    I got it to 1300 on the ladder, but it could be a lot better, hopefully with some friendly advice.

First up are the trappers.

[​IMG]
    Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 204 HP / 252 SAtk / 52 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt
    Your standard steel trapper. As everyone knows, he owns steel. Minus Bronzong(EQ) Jirachi(Fire Punch) Scizor(Superpower BrickBreak)
    Other than that, he kills em all, and any of those above lacking those moves. His main job is to stop Forre Ferro and Skarm from setting
    layers. I love seeing teams with them on it, as you know this guy is destroying any hopes they had. They become major liabilities
    and this guy comes out + whatever charge beam lets me come out.
    Typically I'm finding with sub and leftovers and rain he never uses hp fire all that much, so i'm pondering dropping it for a
    different move that should surpise a common switch in, like Landorus, Terrakion, or Gliscor.
    Kinda torn between water and ice here. As more than one kill after I get 3 or 4 charge boosts would be nice :D
    EV nature wise, Max attack and Max bulk. The speed is there to outspeed the Scizors that have the token few evs
    tossed it's way for speed.

[​IMG]
    Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Beat Up
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Sucker Punch
    The next of the two trappers. This guy is different than most variants. Choice Band is essential to how I play him. As is maximum
    hp, as he can take a hit this way, and I get the strength boost from band and don't have to be sashed.
    Before you hate on Beat Up, it serves its role amazing.
    It OHKO's sub Gengar even with only 5 hits. It OHKO Azelf, Espeon, Xatu. 2HKO Jellicent with a full team, and Deoxys-D(Some)
    Just gotta make sure never to hit Terrakion/Virizion with it.
    Sucker punch is for later game closing, once I have a good read on what sets i'm facing, Starmie is OHKO by it which is huge, as
    I can switch into rapid spin and kill easily. I'm pondering dropping Stone Edge as I rarely use it, I put it up to catch Volcarona
    quiver dancing, but if I have rocks up EQ suffices without being rocked by misses. I hate misses.
    EV Wise, I know speed is lacking, but between Sucker Punch he outspeeds what he has to. Max Speed Heatran, almost all Ninetales.
    Other than that, he doesn't really need to outrun anything else common.

The Lead
    [​IMG]

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Flame Charge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earth Power
    This guy is typically my lead. He begs to be hit by water for Gastrodon boosts, who destroys rain teams. He lays rocks.
    I know i'm lacking special fire attacks, but Flame Charge owns sun teams, so it's really hard to drop. Plus after two he outspeeds
    most the meta game. HP Ice is pretty standard to check the common switch ins. It also lets him switch into outrages to OHKO back.
    Earth Power is for other trans, im pondering dropping it as my team really isn't Heatran weak, it's just nice to know this guy
    beats all variants of heatran if the other team has him, which what 1/3 do.
    If anyone has suggestions about Earth Power or a different HP that would help the team out more that would be sweet.
    Heatrans synergy with each poke on this team is amazing, and I don't like to sacrifice him as he can work with any of them for
    late game.

[​IMG]

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Flamethrower
    - Earthquake
    This is my main sweeper after Mag has done his job. He also is a great lure of steel as well for Mag. They both cover eachother
    amazingly and gel so well it's ridiculous. Dragon claw is there so I have stab and don't get locked in to be sharded to death.
    EQ and flamethrower are there for some prediction fun. I don't go fire blast as I hate it when moves miss, and flame thrower
    is strong against whatever is weak to it anyways.
    Nature wise and ev wise. I wanted max attack as each kill gives you that much more power. Speed he is scarfed so he outspeeds most
    everything, just have to watch out for other Mence and Scarf Terrakion. But I have Tran and Scizor for those guys anyways.

[​IMG]
    Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Earth Power
    I keep messing around with this guy. I would like to have Toxic on him, if I stay with leftovers. But I love having a
    move for every single poke, minus Gyarados/Kingdra/Ferrothorn.
    He was specs before, and destroyed rain teams after a boost. But he still does with leftovers and has more usefulness now.
    HP grass is to safely switch into a water move, and kill right back. I chose surf over scald, as in the rain a boosted Surf
    destroys everything, even ferrothorn doesn't like it.
    EVS are set to make him as strong and as bulky as possible. Leftovers helps him last longer, and switch moves around.

[​IMG]
    Scizor (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Roost
    - U-turn
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    This is my physical wall. If you haven't noticed, I like power and synergy over stalling. But this guy usually gets stronger
    as the match goes on.
    He can switch into fake outs and hurt the foe more. He can switch into pretty much any physical move,
    and either boost, or roost. Terrakion close combat does 40-60 percent, and I can threaten to OHKO back with BP. It is a weaker
    BP, but boosting is easy with this guy, after one swords dance he hits as hard as a banded scizor anyways.
    U-Turn is there to lure out Mag and get trapped for an easy Dug kill. Or to lure fire pokes to allow heatran to set up.
    The evs are set to maximize his bulk so he can stick around for a long time, unless I play super bad. U-Turn could be utilized
    better on a different Scizor, but the idea is to only have to use it once or never depending on the team. This guy counters all
    scizors 1 on 1, and before you say it, especially Superpower ones, they only hurt him once, and I can roost and boost after that.
    This guy also owns Gliscor. I have even switched in on sub'ed and sword danced ones and came out on top.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)