Trapinch (LC Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINISHED - READY FOR CRITIQUE

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/trapinch

[Overview]

<p>Given Trapinch’s combination of impressive Attack, inability to take hits, abysmal speed, and excellent ability in Arena Trap, there’s really only one way to effectively use him: inside of Trick Room. Under its effects, Trapinch essentially becomes Diglett on steroids, trapping foes and easily KO'ing with his powerful attacks. Despite a fundamentally shallow movepool, this humble little termite can be a real force to be reckoned with under the right conditions, and it makes an excellent offensive addition to any Trick Room team. </p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Quick Attack
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Bug Bite / Rock Slide
item: Life Orb
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Brave
evs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SDef
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> The only way to use Trapinch is with the effects of Trick Room in play. The vital tools in Trapinch’s arsenal are Earthquake, Crunch, and Quick Attack-- giving strong STAB, a way to deal with Ghosts, and an answer to opposing priority. With the given moves and stat spread, Trapinch has a few key advantages over his rival Ground-type Trick Room sweeper, Cubone: the ability to keep opponents from switching with Arena Trap, a lower minimum speed (outspeeding everyone but Munchlax tying with min-speed Slowpoke), and access to a priority attack, making it harder to revenge-kill, even when Trick Room has expired. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Trapinch’s last moveslot comes down to a number of filler options. Bug Bite is probably the best of these, as it gives Trapinch a means of recovery while depriving the likes of Wynaut, Paras, Bronzor, and Munchlax of their much-needed Oran Berries. Bug Bite + Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Snover that hold Oran Berry one-on-one, who it would otherwise lose to. Rock Slide complements Trapinch’s STAB Earthquake well and allows Trapinch to beat Mantyke. </p>

<p>The EVs listed max out Trapinch’s Attack and give two extra points in each defense, while the IV spread minimizes recoil from Life Orb and maximizes its speed under Trick Room. If you opt for an item other than Life Orb, an alternate EV spread of 156 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD with full HP IVs can be used. </p>

[Team Options]

<p>Bronzor and Slowpoke make excellent teammates for Trapinch, resisting its Ice-/Grass-type and Ice-/Water-type weaknesses respectively. In addition to setting up Trick Room for Trapinch’s sweep, Bronzor can also run dual screens that make it easier to get Trapinch on the field. Slowpoke can abuse Trick Room’s effects as well as Trapinch can, and after setting up can be used as bait to lure Electric-type attacks that will give Trapinch a free switch-in. Duskull can set up Trick Room while providing support in the form of Will-O-Wisp and possibly moves like Taunt and Disable. Gastly can Trick Room and explode in order to give Trapinch a free turn to switch in and start his rampage. </p>

<p>The best teammates for Trapinch barring Trick Room-users are Baton Passers who can relay an Agility or Rock Polish boost, like Gligar, or to a lesser extent, Spinarak. If possible, it's best to get in an extra Rock Polish / Agility or two, since Trapinch's horrific speed needs all the help it can get if you decide to go that route. Generally, Cubone is superior to Trapinch at taking Baton Pass Boosts, and Trapinch functions better in Trick Room than Cubone does. Needless to say, using Trapinch in this fashion requires a different nature and EV spread with maxed speed and, preferably, a Jolly nature. </p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Substitute is useful to set up an added buffer to extend Trapinch’s sweep beyond the duration of TR, but it can be difficult to set up since Arena Trap prevents the switches that would normally be your opening to do so. Your only hope of getting a Substitute up is dependent upon your opponent using a non-attacking move (such as Protect, which your opponent can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if he / she has it available). </p>

<p>Flail is an option that can be run on sets that don't use Life Orb, but Flail is illegal with Quick Attack, which you'll almost always be wanting instead. </p>

<p>Choice Band was not mentioned in this analysis, but a Choice Band set shows some promise, since Arena Trap negates the necessity to predict switches, since that can't happen. A Banded Trapinch can switch in on Choice-locked Electric-type attacks with impunity, and the Attack boost also makes Quick Attack that much more potent-- but it also makes Trapinch much more vulnerable to switchins from Ghosts like Gastly, who will use the opening to set up a Sub and start screwing you. Generally, this isn't as good of an idea, and Trapinch wants to be able to change between moves. </p>

[Counters]

<p>The most significant threat to Trapinch’s sweep is anyone who runs Aqua Jet or Ice Shard. Carvahna is particularly scary, packing one of the best Aqua Jets in Little Cup with the capability of OHKOing Trapinch. Totodile will also OHKO Trapinch even with an unboosted Aqua Jet. Squirtle can tank Trapinch’s hits and 2HKO with Aqua Jet easily. Snover with Ice Shard will fall just short of the OHKO, but Life Orb recoil from Quick Attack + Bug Bite or Rock Slide will assure that Snover takes down Trapinch with it. Croagunk, Stunky, and Houndour, while weak to Earthquake, can easily pick off a weakened Trapinch with Sucker Punch outside of Trick Room. If Trapinch is ever going up against any of these Pokemon, it needs to have them in KO range of its Quick Attack while in Trick Room if he wants to come out unscathed. </p>

<p>Other threats that Trapinch will have problems with are bulky things that it can't hit super effectively, namely Gligar and Bronzor. Even non-defensive Gligar aren't bothered by any move Trapinch has other than Bug Bite, which only provides an annoyance to defensive variants packing an Oran Berry, and Gligar can easily wipe out Trapinch with Aqua Tail. Bronzor can be handled a bit more easily with Crunch and Bug Bite, but never goes down easily and can usually deal some threatening damage if it packs multiple offensive moves. </p>

<p>Inside of Trick Room, Trapinch has some speed issues with a few key foes. Munchlax is a pretty serious threat; any that run Brave or Sassy as their nature will speed-tie with Trapinch under the effects of Trick Room, and said Munchlax with 0 Speed IVs will always outspeed Trapinch in Trick Room, and can land a solid 2HKO with Return. Minimum Speed Slowpoke will also speed tie with Trapinch, and can threaten it with STAB Surfs or Aqua Tails. The only other Pokemon slow enough to speed tie with them is minimum Speed Bonsly, who while rarely seen, still poses a threat with Sucker Punch and Explosion. </p>

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unslash Bug Bite please. The only advantage Trapinch has over Cubone is access to a Dark-type attack, so sets not emphasizing it are directly outclassed. I also think the comparison to Cubone needs to be made more obvious, as Trapinch really is inferior in nearly every way.

Unslash Bug Bite please. The only advantage Trapinch has over Cubone is access to a Dark-type attack, so sets not emphasizing it are directly outclassed. I also think the comparison to Cubone needs to be made more obvious, as Trapinch really is inferior in nearly every way.
Not disagreeing that Cubone is far far better, but too be honest Quick Attack and lower Speed are the main reasons to use Trapinch over Cubone IMO.

EDIT: Also Arena Trap...duh.

Anyway, SDS is right. Unlslash Bug Bite next to Crunch since it basically makes you lose versus Ghosts that you see, you know, every match. Bug Bite will help versus Bronzor and Paras though, so I'd keep it slashed in the last slot.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
CB should probably be in OO, it could wrok but a vast majority of the time you will want LO or maybe Sash (probably OO as well). HP Ice could find its way into OO for a quick Gligar kill just like with Diglett.

Not disagreeing that Cubone is far far better, but to be honest Quick Attack and lower Speed are the main reasons to use Trapinch over Cubone IMO.

Anyway, SDS is right. Unlslash Bug Bite next to Crunch since it basically makes you lose versus Ghosts that you see, you know, every match. Bug Bite will help versus Bronzor and Paras though, so I'd keep it slashed in the last slot.
Agreed, Crunch is definitely the better option over BB, when I wrote it I was thinking Psychics in my head.

I have to agree that Trapinch isn't completely outclassed by Cubone for the reasons that Heysup mentions, as well as the all-important Arena Trap, without which Cubone won't be getting those guaranteed unswitchable KOs against the likes of Elekid, Magnemite, and other Electric-types. This, in my mind, is Trapinch's greatest advantage over Cubone.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not disagreeing that Cubone is far far better, but too be honest Quick Attack and lower Speed are the main reasons to use Trapinch over Cubone IMO.

EDIT: Also Arena Trap...duh.

The lower speed is negligible when compared to the fact that Cubone has Fire Punch to hit Bronzor, Ice Beam to hit Gligar, and doesn't need to take LO recoil. It also is WAY bulkier in every way (more in every defensive stat, and a lot more in defense), and is negligibly slower considering that the only thing you would really "lose" to is a minimum speed Munchlax. Priority is also negligible when TR sweeping, especially unSTAB priority like Quick Attack.

Also, Rock Slide hits Paras and Bronzor can switch out of you, so in general Bug Bite has zero benefits over Crunch.

CB is reasonable, especially since CB Quick Attack could hit like a truck, which could be amusing. It also can trap Choiced Electric-types like Scarf Elekid, and is just generally rather usable.

But no one really uses Scarf Elekid or any other Scarfed Electric-types (possibly excepting Magnemite to beat Dratini), which makes it somewhat pointless.

Quick Attack is, as I think I mentioned in the analysys, (*checks* ....yes) important for Trapinch to be able to finish off weakened foes when the Trick Room is gone and its advantage of speed is gone with it. This is another important advantage it has over Cubone, since Cubone lacks a priority move of any kind and is therefore vulnerable to them, even in TR. Also, without QA, it's extremely vulnerable to the multitude of other priority users in Little Cup. Trapinch also has sort of a unique claim to fame in being one of the only TR sweepers with access to priority, which is something that wrecks other TR sweepers (Vacuum Wave on Pory, Sucker Punch on Slowpoke) normally.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
The fact that this analysis has been up since October and still hasn't been grammar checked is a problem, as there are a lot of pretty dumb grammatical errors :x. Just as an F.Y.I., you cannot abbreviate in analysis, i.e. say "Pinch" over "Trapinch", or "TR" over "Trick Room". We do strive to be as grammatically correct / professional as possible, and as such anytime that you abbreviate in an analysis it will be incorrect.

[Overview]

<p>Given Trapinch’s stat spread of impressive Attack, moderate bulk, and abysmal Speed, there’s really only one way to effectively use it: inside of Trick Room. Under its effects, Trapinch essentially becomes a Diglett on steroids, trapping foes and KOing them with its powerful attacks. Despite a fundamentally shallow movepool, this humble little termite can be a real force to be reckoned with under the right conditions, and it makes an excellent offensive addition to any Trick Room team. </p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Quick Attack
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Bug Bite / Rock Slide
item: Life Orb
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Brave
evs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SDef
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> The only way to use Trapinch is with the effects of Trick Room in play. The vital tools in Trapinch’s arsenal are Earthquake, Crunch, and Quick Attack. These latter two moves coupled with Arena Trap and Trapinch's lower Speed are what make it arguably better than Cubone under Trick Room, despite Cubone's better Attack and more extensive movepool. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Trapinch’s last moveslot comes down to a number of filler options. Bug Bite is probably the best of these, as it gives Trapinch a means of recovery while depriving the likes of Wynaut, Paras, and Bronzor of their much-needed Oran Berries. Bug Bite + Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Snover one-on-one, who it would otherwise lose to. Rock Slide compliments Trapinch’s STAB Earthquake well, and has the occasional side-effect of flinching (something Trapinch can take full advantage of in Trick Room). </p>

<p>The EVs listed max out Trapinch’s Attack and give two extra points in each defense, while the IV spread minimizes recoil from Life Orb and maximizes its speed under Trick Room. If you opt for an item other thanLife Orb, an alternate EV spread of 156 HP / 196 / 76 / 76 [uhhh you kinda have to label the other EVs...I don't know what the last three are at the moment, and neither will the reader of this analysis :x] with full HP IVs can be used. </p>

[Team Options]

<p>Bronzor and Slowpoke make excellent teammates for Trapinch, resisting Trapinch’s Ice- / Grass-type and Ice- / Water-type weaknesses respectively. In addition to setting up Trick Room for Trapinch’s sweep, Bronzor can also run dual screens that make it easier to get it on the field. Slowpoke can abuse Trick Room’s effects as well as Trapinch can, and after setting up can be used as bait to lure Electric-type attacks that will give Trapinch a free switch-in. Duskull can set up Trick Room while providing support in the form of Will-O-Wisp and possibly moves like Taunt and Disable. Gastly and Shuppet can both set up Trick Room and then take a fall via Explosion or Destiny Bond, respectively, in order to give Trapinch a free turn to switch in. </p>

<p>The best teammates for Trapinch barring Trick Room-users are Baton Passers who can relay an Agility or Rock Polish boost, like Gligar, or to a lesser extent, Spinarak. If possible, it's best to get in an extra Rock Polish / Agility or two, since Trapinch's horrid speed needs all the help it can get if you decide to go that route. Generally though, Cubone is superior to Trapinch at taking Baton Pass Boosts, and Trapinch functions much better in Trick Room than Cubone does. </p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Substitute is useful to set up an added buffer to extend Trapinch’s sweep beyond the duration of Trick Room, but it can be difficult to set up since Arena Trap prevents the switches that would normally be your opening to do so. Your only hope of getting a Substitute up is dependent upon your opponent using a non-attacking move (such as Protect, which your opponent can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if he / she has it available). </p>

<p>Flail is an option that can be run on sets that don't use Life Orb, but Flail is illegal with Quick Attack, which you'll almost always be wanting instead. </p>

<p>Feint leans toward gimmicky, but considering the high quantity of Protect-users in the Little Cup environment, it's something to consider if you can predict properly. </p>

<p>Choice Band was not mentioned in this analysis, but a Choice Band set shows some promise, since Arena Trap negates the necessity to accurately predict a switch that can't happen. A Banded Trapinch can switch in on Choice-locked Electric-type attacks with impunity, and the Attack boost also makes Quick Attack that much more potent. </p>

[Counters]

<p>The most significant threat to Trapinch’s sweep is anyone who runs Aqua Jet or Ice Shard. Carvahna is particularly scary, packing one of the best Aqua Jets in Little Cup with the capability of OHKOing Trapinch. Squirtle can tank Trapinch’s hits and 2HKO with Aqua Jet easily. Any Totodile that is given the chance to get a Swords Dance up will annihilate Trapinch with Aqua Jet posthaste. Snover can use Ice Shard to 2HKO any Trapinch that doesn't pack Bug Bite. Croagunk, Stunky, and Houndour, while weak to Earthquake, can easily pick off a weakened Trapinch with Sucker Punch outside of Trick Room. If Trapinch is ever going up against any of these Pokemon, it needs to have them in KO range of its Quick Attack while in Trick Room if it wants to come out alive. </p>

<p>Other threats that Trapinch will have problems with are bulky things that it can't hit super effectively, namely Gligar and Bronzor. Even non-defensive Gligar aren't bothered by any move Trapinch has other than Bug Bite, which only provides an annoyance to defensive variants packing an Oran Berry, and Gligar can easily wipe out Trapinch with Aqua Tail. Bronzor can be handled a bit better with Crunch and Bug Bite, but won't be KOed easily and can usually deal some threatening damage if it packs multiple offensive moves.</p>

<p>Inside of Trick Room, Trapinch has some speed issues with a few key foes. Munchlax is a pretty serious threat; any that run Brave or Sassy as their nature will speed-tie with Trapinch under the effects of Trick Room, and if that Munchlax has decided to zero its Speed IVs, then said Munchlax will always outspeed Trapinch in Trick Room. Furthermore, it has access to super effective Ice Punch and Seed Bomb to threaten Trapinch with. Minimum Speed Slowpoke will also speed tie with Trapinch, and can threaten it with STAB Surf or Aqua Tail. The only other Pokemon slow enough to speed tie with them is minimum Speed Bonsly, who poses a threat with Sucker Punch and Explosion. </p>

One more thing:
<p>Trapinch’s last moveslot comes down to a number of filler options. Bug Bite is probably the best of these, as it gives Trapinch a means of recovery while depriving the likes of Wynaut, Paras, and Bronzor of their much-needed Oran Berries. Bug Bite + Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Snover one-on-one, who it would otherwise lose to. Rock Slide compliments Trapinch’s STAB Earthquake well, and has the occasional side-effect of flinching (something Trapinch can take full advantage of in Trick Room). </p>
Use complement in place of compliment.

@ Snorlaxe: Thanks for the grammar check, and yeah, I know, I've been trying to get people in here to check me for a while and I was kind of having a hard time of it. =0 Sorry about the abbreviations, I didn't realize that that wasn't acceptable, and I'll keep those points on professionalism in mind from now on.

@ tater: Got it, thanks. Foolish of me to make a mistake like that, my (mostly) perfect spelling is something I normally take pride in. >___<

Everything fixed, but I did still leave an explanation of his three primary moves on the set-- is that considered unnecessary, or is it all right to have that in there?

Okay, so apart from the above question, I think this one is set and ready for upload. Is there anything else I need to do to make this upload-ready?

Good to hear.

Well, I implemented all of the grammar changes Snorlaxe (and TPotato) pointed out except the one I asked about, and he knows his stuff, right? I think it's ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)