Pokémon Trevenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotom-W cant really touch you anyway though lol
Well, the Choice Specs version still has a chance to 2HKO you after Stealth Rocks, but it has definitely helped against Greninja and Flamethrower-less Goodra. Eh, I don't know what other special pokes that Trevenant stops cold, but as you can see, there are definitely merits to him being a special wall. The tree's special defense stat is higher as well.

Not that I'm bashing the physical version though. I'm just throwing my two cents from my experience with the special version.

Last edited:
Well, I'm currently fairly highish on the pre-pokebank ladder (1750ish) and have yet to see a single Specs Rotom. A few Scarfs, which can pose a threat with Trick, obviously.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
My main issue with Trevenant's curse-stall set is that it barely fazes other stall teams. With instant recovery flying around everywhere and stuff like Heatran and Skarmory that can potentially shred Trevenant, I've only had limited success playing Trevenant against other defensive teams.

Don't get me wrong, Trevenant can curse-stall the heck out of anything that doesn't have recovery, and I've used it to huge success against offensive pokes. It's just a dead weight against quite a few popular defensive pokes, and if a team has Wish support or Aromatherapy you're basically just PP stalling at that point.

My main issue with Trevenant's curse-stall set is that it barely fazes other stall teams. With instant recovery flying around everywhere and stuff like Heatran and Skarmory that can potentially shred Trevenant, I've only had limited success playing Trevenant against other defensive teams.

Don't get me wrong, Trevenant can curse-stall the heck out of anything that doesn't have recovery, and I've used it to huge success against offensive pokes. It's just a dead weight against quite a few popular defensive pokes, and if a team has Wish support or Aromatherapy you're basically just PP stalling at that point.
Ofcourse. That's why you have 6 mons in your team. If Trevenant doesn't work vs. stall teams, doesn't mean your other 5 (or 4) mons won't.

Ofcourse. That's why you have 6 mons in your team. If Trevenant doesn't work vs. stall teams, doesn't mean your other 5 (or 4) mons won't.
Well, we're not talking here about Trevenant's team, we're talking about Trevent itself. Finding it has trouble against stall teams is a nice contribution for the soon to be Trevenant page.

Why is everyone raving about Lum + Rest + Harvest? I'v been screwed over many times because they've burned/paralyzed me etc. as I go to rest then stuck waiting for my harvest to activate so I can wake up. Would it not be better to use chesto berry seeing as rest cures status anyway? That way there is no unfortunate times when your stuck asleep

Chestoresto is almost always better than lum berry variants. Lum sees more use for an offensive variant having to switch in on a t-wave or a WoW and going for the fast K.O.. However, offensive trevenant is bad. Only reason I see that scenario to fit is if you switch in on a rotom wash whom you predict to WoW. Then have an EV spread with enough attack to make Horn Leech Ohko.

I love this guy in a Trick Room.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Wood Hammer
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

I have him as a sort of mid-late game sweeper, though he needs to watch out for status and Ferrothorn. Too bad he couldn't get the elemental punches.

alexwolf EDIT: Explain your moveset choices otherwise your post will get deleted.

Whatever.

Wood Hammer is evident, I like it better than Horn Leech because Trevenant doesn't care much about recoil when he has pretty much unlimited recovery in Sitrus Berries; Poison Jab takes care of Grass-types that might otherwise wall him, and Earthquake is a nice surprise for Fire- and Steel-types. If he can get Trick Room up before being taken out by someone else, he doesn't fear fire very much.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What you guys think about an assault vest trevenant set?

Trevenant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Nature Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk /4 def
Adamant Nature
- Power up Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Horn leech
- X-Scissor

Little bit gimmicky but might he be a good user for assault vest?
This set is bad. The whole point of using Trevenant is WoW, Leech Seed, and the reliable healing of Rest.

The Trevenant that I've been using to great success on the ladder has been

Trevenant@Leftovers
Ablitity: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
-Horn Leech
-Earthquake
-Will O Wisp
-Protect

It's basically a combination of a strong defensive wall and the attacking capabilities. The set can take status often but it's sad that it cannot stay in for too long for a Toxic or Burn, but I found that Leftovers + Protect + Will O Wisp is enough is stall most pokes into submission.

Also I don't need the reliance on the 50% Harvest chance or the Rest move to bring up my longevity. Less prediction as well. If you have any comments, feel free to question.
You don't need to rely on a 50% chance to heal with Harvest, you can use Natural Cure + Rest.

Lum berry has its uses, you don't need to be resting immediately after being inflicted by the status especialy against toxic as the first two ticks of dmg are laughable. Personally in my testing I have found sitrus to be far better than RestoChesto/Lum simply because sitrus is 100% passive while also freeing up a space for another move, and I have been able to stall even while burned, toxic is another story, but tbh you run protect in pretty much every set so you can scout for it if its not an immediate threat from say a toxic orb gliscor were you know they run toxic. I have tested many sets both lum chest and sitrus variants and have found these to be the best among the two.

This set has yet to fail me. Its an amazing mixed wall and always surprises people when they switch into there special attackers thinking they will be doing more dmg. More info on this set in post #183

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 84HP/252Def/172SpD
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Wil-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Problems this set has over Lum/Chesto
-Status (Can be resolved by using a poke with Heal Bell/Aromatherapy, or you can simply predict/scout with protect and proceed to switch out)

Trevenant @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4SpD or 252HP/4Def/252SpD
Impish/Careful Nature
- Rest
- Curse/Wil-O-Wisp/Toxic
- Shadow Claw/Horn Leech/Rock Slide/Wil-O-Wisp
- Protect/Curse/Leech Seed

Curse is a must in this set as you lack the sufficient stall dmg Burn/Leech gives you unless you choose to give up either your protect or atk.

Problems this set has over sitrus.
-Lack of Passive healing through sitrus.
-Need to use up a turn to heal. (Not the most reliable on a very slow pokemon with lack of natural bulk aside from its typing)
-Only 3 Moves to select from. (Rest is a requirement)
-Curse is incredibly risky and hard to set up as trevenant isn't the bulkiest of pokes. (again lack of sitrus makes this even harder 75%HP vs 50%HP after curse)
-Anything that can 2HKO will still 2HKO you, as resting is only delaying the inevitable.
-Is not viable as a mixed tank. (Through testing passive sitrus seems to make a huge difference)
On your first set you should max HP, as it gives you more bulk overall. On the second set, Lum Berry is a better option over Chesto Berry as it heals you from any status without the need to use Rest.

Can someone explain to me why the standard Trevanent is Careful (252 HP/ 140 SpD/ 116 Spe)? I've tried it but I've found Impish (252 HP/ 140 Def/ 116 Spe) to be more useful since it allows me to switch into Excadrill better (which is a large part of why I even use this guy).
It was this way because offensive Starmie was expected to be popular, but with Excadrill being the most popular spinner instead, the spread you posted is the best one.

What EVs should I use for an impish chesto/lum berry trevenant?
Use 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe with an Impish nature. Enough Speed to outrun Tyranitar and Choice Band Scizor before they can OHKO you and burn them with Will-O-Wisp. Make simple questions in the simple questions thread next time.

Chestoresto is almost always better than lum berry variants. Lum sees more use for an offensive variant having to switch in on a t-wave or a WoW and going for the fast K.O.. However, offensive trevenant is bad. Only reason I see that scenario to fit is if you switch in on a rotom wash whom you predict to WoW. Then have an EV spread with enough attack to make Horn Leech Ohko.
Lum Berry is better in general. Being able to take of a WoW from Rotom-W, immediately heal it, and hit with a Horn Leech / Wood Hammer is great, and in general not needing to Rest to heal status is great. Without Lum Berry you can't immediately threaten Rotom-W, which will just keep annoying your team to no end.

Also, why people like so much using Curse still bugs me. You are sacrificing 50% of your health so that the opponent can lose 25% of its health each turn? Which can easily be cured just by switching? When you could just spread burns on everything or use Leech Seed against Fire-types? It just makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Also, why people like so much using Curse still bugs me. You are sacrificing 50% of your health so that the opponent can lose 25% of its health each turn? Which can easily be cured just by switching? When you could just spread burns on everything or use Leech Seed against Fire-types? It just makes zero sense.
Same reason why people use perish song, to force out setup sweepers. Curse and perish song are pretty similar effect wise really, taking the same number of turns to take the opponent out, but curse removes HP every turn, giving added pressure on the opponent to switch out. The Sitrus berry heals most of the damage Trevenant takes from putting the curse, so it's actually a pretty viable move on Trev.

You don't need to rely on a 50% chance to heal with Harvest, you can use Natural Cure + Rest.
I have tried the Natural Cure + Rest set, but the lost in momentum is quite detrimental. Either 1) the opponent will switch into something to either set up or counter the Ghost tree or 2) you do a double switch and hope that whatever you are bringing in stops whatever he brings in. Of course, there is also the chance that the Pokemon just stays in and attacks you as well.

If I were to change my set though, the moveset would change from Horn Leech / EQ / Will O Wisp / Protect to something like Will O Wisp / Leech Seed / Rest / Horn Leech.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Same reason why people use perish song, to force out setup sweepers. Curse and perish song are pretty similar effect wise really, taking the same number of turns to take the opponent out, but curse removes HP every turn, giving added pressure on the opponent to switch out. The Sitrus berry heals most of the damage Trevenant takes from putting the curse, so it's actually a pretty viable move on Trev.
But almost all of the Pokemon you want to counter are countered even without Curse, as they are physical attackers that are fucked up by WoW or special attackers that can't do much back and are stalled out by Leech Seed and WoW. And against set up sweepers that you are not supposed to be facing, why are you facing them in the first place? And no, Sitrus doesn't heal most of the health lost by Curse, it heals exactly half of it if Sitrus Berry has been regained by Harvest, which is not always the case. Sitrus only fully heals the health lost by Curse if you already had Sitrus before using Curse and if after using Curse another Sitrus Berry was harvested immediately.

Trevenant@Sitrus Berry
Careful nature
252 HP
128 Def
128 SpD
Ability:Harvest
-Substitute
-Curse
-Leech Seed
-Will O Wisp/ Shadow Claw
Evs help you live anything you need to in order to get up sub, best case scenario, you live with more than half and can get a curse up with the sitrus berry giving back health. Leech Seed is a must as it gives trevenant constant recovery. Will o wisp cripples physical attackers, but if the switch into trevenant is predicted and he gets taunted, it's over.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
But almost all of the Pokemon you want to counter are countered even without Curse, as they are physical attackers that are fucked up by WoW or special attackers that can't do much back and are stalled out by Leech Seed and WoW. And against set up sweepers that you are not supposed to be facing, why are you facing them in the first place? And no, Sitrus doesn't heal most of the health lost by Curse, it heals exactly half of it if Sitrus Berry has been regained by Harvest, which is not always the case. Sitrus only fully heals the health lost by Curse if you already had Sitrus before using Curse and if after using Curse another Sitrus Berry was harvested immediately.
The pressure Curse creates on the opponent is far greater than Leech Seed and WoW. This is especially true for Substitute users since not only does Curse bypass sub, but they lose 50% HP without accomplishing anything if they use it. Couple it with entry hazards and the damage racks up very quickly.
And, yes, Sitrus does heal most of the HP loss from Curse because while the opponent keeps switching out Harvest+Sitrus Berry can and will kick in, so Trevenant can recover HP without wasting a turn.
Trevenant's Curse set is essentially a SubSeed set that can be described as "dangerous" instead of "annoying".

Because Sub+Curse stalling is very viable with Harvest Sitrus berry, and I'm surprised you don't see any use in it. Curse isn't always easily usable, but when you can use it, it's very useful. For example, if you get a sub up, and you know a switch will be incoming (for example, anything that was trying to status you), you can fire off a curse, the opponent will switch in on the curse (and hopefully rocks and maybe spikes), and be taking hazard and curse damage, and the proceed to lose 25% each turn. So at the end of the turn they switched, you're between 50% to 75%, and they're at 75%, you can now just sub every turn, because while you're losing 25% health creating subs, you're also getting those citrus berry heals back, while they're stuck taking 25% each turn.

This leads at worst case scenario, getting really unlucky with harvest and getting 50% damage off and then having to switch and come back in a different time, or one of the two better and more likely scenarios, your opponent gets their pokemon killed by curse trying to kill you Trevenant (possible threat gone), or that you forced the switch, meaning your Trevenant will still be behind a sub, will still be at good health (thanks to harvest) and that the opponent has just racked up even more hazard damage.

Also to focus again on your point "Sitrus only fully heals the health lost by Curse if you already had Sitrus before using Curse", why would you be cursing with your Citrus berry? They come back so regularly, and if you don't have the citrus, you could be going the safer route of leach seeding.

Cursing isn't the sole strategy, but you can't always rely on leech seed/WoW, since those are blocked by either grass or fire types, where as curse isn't blocked, and will be doing a massive 1/4 after one move, instead of 1/8. If you ever have an opponent who finds out their current pokemon can't get past your leech seed + sub + harvest, they have to resort to switching while you have a sub up, and if they switch into a curse, they're either switching again (to something probably far less effective at taking you out) and taking hazard damage, or they're dying.

As the post above me said, with curse you're not just an annoying sub-seeder, you're a sub seeder that can actually do heavy amounts of damage to anything.

Hell, another scenario, set-up sweeper switches in on the turn you sub, since they can break your sub and KO you. On the turn they're in, you curse. IF they were smart, they decided to break your sub, and took 25% damage from curse, you then switch in to something to take that hit, they take another 25%. That's 50% damage, excluding hazards. If they were even smarter, they would break your sub, then switch to avoid taking another 25%, but if you have hazards up, this can mean the same amount of damage to them, and you forced a switch. If they're stupid, and try to set up, that allows you to sub stall them to death.

Having a ghost curse on something with reliable auto healing is amazingly useful.

I've been using this guy with leech seed / WoW/ shadowclaw/ Protect and it's been awesome! I'm using the sitrus berry/harvest set and it's been taking hits like a boss, nerfs strong attackers and has very reliable recovery. If I don't harvest a berry I'll use protect with a good chance to harvest one while also inflicting some burn damage during that turn. I'm thinking of swapping out leech seed for curse and do even more damage as I've found sitrus berry, harvest, protect to be more than reliable for restoring HP.

Can i just take a moment to tell people that if you're not using any offense (like on the lumcurse variant), you should definitely use a negative atk nature and 0iv. It turns foul play from a 2hko into a 3hko(not including leech) and lets you actually beat klefki and actually check it as lum/rest.

Can switch in to any variant of klefki, absorb status or work through screens anyway, leech it, then rest before the 3hko, have a 87.5% chance to get a lum by the end of your rest turn. From here you just keep subbing/resting until it dies from your leech or you get a free sub/rest on their switch-in. Effectively walling it.

Spikes suck but at least they give you the chance to curse it from behind a sub and set up to take out another pokemon, so it isn't too bad.

After extensive use of SpookyTree, I have to say I'm a bit torn on how best to use him.

I normally run~
Trevenant (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Def / 12 SDef / 80 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Protect
~as a physical wall for a full stall team. I've tried Curse, but I find that cutting down it's own bulk is too counterproductive to its regenerative/defensive role. Additionally, I find which move to replace with Curse extremely difficult.

-Leechseed allows for smoother transitions to other pokemon on your team after they brought in a counter, and the health regen adds a consistent element to help stabalize the coin flip of Harvest so you don't have to rely as totally on luck to be effective.
-Will-o-Wisp not only neuters physical sweepers, most notably MegaKhan, but it also adds a permanent timer on special sweepers and bulky pokemon lacking recovery. There have been many instances of my special wall being able to stall out their special sweeper two dozen turns later because it still had a lingering burn from the switch into Trevenant much earlier in the game. Curse, while immediate, is not a timer unless it is their last pokemon.
-Sub/protect allow for Trevenant to stall out many more pokemon than it really has a right to, as swapping between each one allows for the permanent tanking of super effective or banded/specs attacks (Harvest willing) after eating one attack for 80%, then Will-o-Wisping, or a 70% attack and Leech Seeding.

Losing any of those elements heavily damages Trev's defensive capabilities to a staggering degree, turning him from a spectacular stallmon to an average one with a niche appeal.

While I completely understand Curse's benefits, if you're looking for Trev to wall and stall, I would highly suggest trying out the above.
((Only thing I don't quite have yet are the desire EVs for specific speed threats. 80 are there to outspeed a couple minimum speed taunters, but what would be suggested for this role?))

As new to competitive battling (hope you forgive my mistakes) I'm planning on running a my very own Vampire Tree set.
Idk if it was already made up but, as a rookie, please understand.

"Vampire Tree"
Trevenant@Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: N/A (i'm new to this so, yeah)
-Leech Seed
-Ingrain (any other moves like WoW)
-Horn Leech
-Shadowclaw( any perferable STAB move)

this can be a wall right? Even tho Trevy's Defences aren't that good, he can stall the effects of Poison or Burn from WoW.

Last edited:
Didn't really build a team around it, but just wanted to see if it would work.

Harvest Sun Sweeper

Trevenant @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 HP / 16 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 28 HP / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Substitute
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Bring on the sun, sub till 25%. Trick room at the end. Get +2 atk the first time, and then +1 attack every turn after that. Not really meant as a end game sweeper, but it punches big holes in things during the mid game.

Its important to know when to take the hit and trick room, or when to sub.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Trevenant @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 HP / 16 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 28 HP / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Substitute
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
It seems a waste to have 28 IV and 240 EVs... It should be 31 IV with 228 EVs with the remaining 12 EVs dumped elsewhere.

It sounds really inconsistent and dependent on the opponent's original amount of damage. Trevenant demands checks so he'll force a lot of switches and a lot of your trick room turns will be used up subbing down. Also claw/eq isn't that great coverage.

It seems a waste to have 28 IV and 240 EVs... It should be 31 IV with 228 EVs with the remaining 12 EVs dumped elsewhere.
you are right. your way is better.

It sounds really inconsistent and dependent on the opponent's original amount of damage. Trevenant demands checks so he'll force a lot of switches and a lot of your trick room turns will be used up subbing down. Also claw/eq isn't that great coverage.
you sub when they switch. then spam sub since they'll outspeed most likely. until 25%, then activate trick room.

I've noticed some people mention being wary of carrying curse but honestly in my testing with harvest and sitrus trevenant gets plenty of chances to restore itself alongside leech seed. Personally I feel that as a bulky annoyance curse really helps out in taking out key threats.

Trevenant @ Leftlovers
Natural Cure
Adamant - 252 HP/156 Atk /100 Spe
- Confuse Ray
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech

So good :') Water, Grass, Electric, Ground resistances do wonders to it. Also Normal and Fighting immunities + WoW are WOW lol. It walls really hard physical MegaLucario and MegaKenga without Crunch, as I can use Confuse Ray, Leech Seed and WoW and and not get damaged by Sucker Punch. It is great against Spore users like Smeargle and Breloom, and not scared of Scizor. A lot of foes switch into their Talonflame, so I proceed to switch to my Rhyperior and force a switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)