Trick Doom 2 Turbo Edition featuring Eelektross (2000+)

Preface
Before I begin this team is the result of countless attempts at building an amazing OU Trick Room team. You can see how far this has progressed by looking at my previous team post here: www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trick-doom-im-terrible-at-puns.3493928/#post-5027692

I was going to keep experimenting before taking it on a ladder run but the merging of Pokebank and OU reset my ranking so I decided to try my luck laddering. I was quite happy with my results and felt I would have gotten even higher if not for some unlucky misses with play rough.
Well you're probably more interested in the team than my excuses so without further ado here it is.

Trick Room Setters

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs:0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

In this Trick Room team build I find a bulky ghost type to be a necessity. I was initially hesitant to use Gourgeist as I felt mono-ghosts like Dusclops and Cofagrigus to be better because of the prominence of Talonflame and my teams lack of fire resistances, but I was swayed by Gourgeist's 85/122/75 defensive stats as well as 100 attack. This is the trick room gourd grenade set with shadow sneak to take out weakened mons outside of trick room. Gourgeist grass-typing is not very useful but is the only thing I have to defend against Mold Breaker Excadrill. Destiny Bond is like a better explosion when well played and a serious mind-game when its not.
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

This Porygon2 set is the exact same as it was in my previous thread and really if it ain't broke don't fix it. Boltbeam coverage is excellent as always OHKO offensive garchomps, both landorouses (is there a plural of landourous) and Gliscor. Porygon2 is a special tank second only to the pink blobs and takes most physical hits pretty well. Trace allows Porygon2 to deal with a variety of threats most importantly Heatran by tracing flash fire (unless its one of those toxic heatrans) who is by far the most threating mon to my team. Got some answers to Heatran so I switched to download for the awesome +1 sp. attack. Porygon2 is my go to trick room setter and can be both a special tank, an offensive threat and a trick room setter at the same time.

Porygon2 and Gourgeist are best friends and both make up for each others weakness. There are very fews mons that can simultaneously be a threat to Porygon2 and Gourgeist. And they make a perfect scouting dou with gourgeist frisking items and porygon2 tracing abilities.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

What would a trick room team be without Reuniclus. This Reuniclus is my solution to toxic stall with magic guard. Since I already have 2 capable defensive Trick Room setters I decided to have Reuniclus go all out with maximum investment in special attack. If Reuniclus is allowed to set up he is one of the most deadly attacks. Unfortunately, Reuniclus has a lot of weaknesses and especially potent is its pursuit and u-turn weaknesses but these can be worked around by an intelligent user.

Trick Room Sweepers

Eelektross @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 36 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30SpD / 0 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Superpower

Eelektross as strange as this may seem is my lead. His coverage gets him favorable matchups on a lot of common OU Pokemon such as Rotom-W, T-tar, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Politoad, Heatran, Lucario, Mawile, Blissey the list goes on and on. Against things like Genesect, Eelektross is slower so it can Volt Switch out and allows me to gain momentum. Eelektross' coverage makes up for his low for Trick Room 115 atk/ 105 SpAtk. With 85/80/80 defensive stats along with no weaknesses Eleektross can survive to make his presence known in the mid-game once trick room is set up.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate/Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Mawile has change a lot from my original post. I decided that my old set wasn't doing the job and had pretty poor coverage. This is a pretty basic Mawile set but it can destroy anything it hits neutrally in one or 2 hits. Mawile really fears the burn especially from Rotom-W so Mawile complements Reuniclus well. Swords Dance is useful for wallbreaking things like cosmic power Clefable.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Quiet Nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Surf

This is the same Exploud set from my previous thread but there really is only one Exploud set and that is Boomburst and Boomburst hard. Unless the enemy is made of stone, metal or a pink blob then its probably dead in one or two hits.

I am currently deciding between these two pokemon for my sixth slot.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is one of my two options to replace Exploud. He is just as strong specially as Conk. is physically. He complements Mawile well but exposes a large EQ weakness when Eelektross dies. I decided on Life Orb just to boost Heatran's 130 special attack to absurd levels though it does cost me a good bit of survivability. Heatran's poor movepool holds him back from securing some important kills especially against common water types.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Its a very standard Conkeldurr set that complements Mawile well as a will-o-wisp absorber while it doesn't really take care of many threats it doesn't really have that many issues either. Knock Off keeps the opponent from switching while drain punch makes conkeldurr very bulky.

Threats

Heatran- With 4x resistance to mega mawile's main stab and a resistance to exploud's boomburst this guy hard walls my team. Usually I deal with it by chipping away at it until it is within focus blast/superpower range (>50%) thank goodness this thing has no recovery moves and its ability makes Porygon2 with trace a safe check when its not carrying toxic.

Volcarona- When I see Volcarona I know I'm gonna lose at least one mon to it. Quiver dance makes it unbreakable on the special side and the only real way I have to hurt it is Reuniclus' Psyshock. Reuniclus usually has to sacrifice himself to get Volcarona within killable range for the rest of my team

Darmanitan/Victine- Although uncommon Darmy and Victini hit really hard and just kill everything on my team when banded usually it takes enough recoil/lowers it defense enough that I can kill/threaten it out with Mawile's sucker punch though.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the feedback. If you've never used a Trick Room team before give this one a try its a lot of fun once you get used to the mechanics.

Here is the importable
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed

Eelektross @ Life Orb
EVs: 220 HP / 36 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SDef / 0 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Superpower

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / NaN Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Quiet Nature
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Surf

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

Eelektross @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Quiet Nature
IVs: null Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

Eelektross @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Quiet Nature
IVs: NaN Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Flash Cannon

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Attachments

Last edited:
(I guess i owe you a rate since you gave me one :D)

You have two defensive trick room setters, (gourgeist and porygon2), which while I do not wholly agree with, I have no better ideas to give. Both of them make terrific walls, and the secondary grass-typing gives some neat resistances (although some weaknesses as well). I personally find CM on reuniclus a waste of TR turns, since it is already killing a lot of things with max Sp Atk and Life orb, so I would get rid of CM for focus blast, or some other coverage move of your choice (signal beam also works for dark-types, but it really won't do you much good since most dark-types have 2ndary typing).

I applaud lead eelektross, i used one in my UU team and my god it is wonderful. Scrappy Exploud boomburst just sounds painful. I'm not sure what to say about mega mawile, its just too good.

My question however is, how do you deal with knock offs flying around, since they do a decent bit of damage to porygon2, reuniclus, and Gourgeist (not to mention kill their items). Also, the switch can give a chance to set up SD or subs, which would make it even more of a threat.
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 276-328 (73.7 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 556-658 (131.1 - 155.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 161-191 (43 - 51%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO (granted, this is more of a nuisance since it gets rid of eviolite)​

solid team, it is apparent you have put a lot of thought into it, hope that I have helped

(I guess i owe you a rate since you gave me one :D)

You have two defensive trick room setters, (gourgeist and porygon2), which while I do not wholly agree with, I have no better ideas to give. Both of them make terrific walls, and the secondary grass-typing gives some neat resistances (although some weaknesses as well). I personally find CM on reuniclus a waste of TR turns, since it is already killing a lot of things with max Sp Atk and Life orb, so I would get rid of CM for focus blast, or some other coverage move of your choice (signal beam also works for dark-types, but it really won't do you much good since most dark-types have 2ndary typing).

I applaud lead eelektross, i used one in my UU team and my god it is wonderful. Scrappy Exploud boomburst just sounds painful. I'm not sure what to say about mega mawile, its just too good.

My question however is, how do you deal with knock offs flying around, since they do a decent bit of damage to porygon2, reuniclus, and Gourgeist (not to mention kill their items). Also, the switch can give a chance to set up SD or subs, which would make it even more of a threat.
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 276-328 (73.7 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 556-658 (131.1 - 155.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 161-191 (43 - 51%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO (granted, this is more of a nuisance since it gets rid of eviolite)​

solid team, it is apparent you have put a lot of thought into it, hope that I have helped
Oh thanks for the rate! I've always used 2 defensive setters as I thought it was the norm. I've gone back and forth about my reuniclus set (for awhile when genesect was around i used hp fire it was hilarious) but I dropped calm mind as you said. This team was posted before Bisharp became very prominent in the OU metagame. Bisharp does kinda wreck this team in its current state. I'll have 2 do something about that. Knock off from conk and friends is an easy switch into mawile tho.

(Im back haha)
You could add Conkeldurr over exploud, since you've already got a few special attackers, and it can handle heatran, as well as toss around knock offs to hit on the switch. It also covers the dark weakness.

(Im back haha)
You could add Conkeldurr over exploud, since you've already got a few special attackers, and it can handle heatran, as well as toss around knock offs to hit on the switch. It also covers the dark weakness.
That works I like the sweeping power of Exploud and the gimmick but you're right I should probably grab Conk. to cover my weaknesses as Exploud doesn't really add much to the team even though i wish it could ;_;. I'll test it out in a bit thanks!

just a thought, have you considered something like heatran on your team? it can make a great sweeper if you find space for it and in this meta it would be a great addition, unsure of where you could put it as of now but it would stop things like talonflame and if yours is slower it takes out opposing heatrans with earth power, and even volc on the switch if you pack ancient power or even stone edge.

just a thought, have you considered something like heatran on your team? it can make a great sweeper if you find space for it and in this meta it would be a great addition, unsure of where you could put it as of now but it would stop things like talonflame and if yours is slower it takes out opposing heatrans with earth power, and even volc on the switch if you pack ancient power or even stone edge.
Thanks for the rate! I tested out a couple of matches with both Conk. and Heatran in my last slot and they both bring something nice to the table and both act as will-o-wisp absorbers for the team. Heatran does have lots of good defensive synergy and counters a lot of my issues but I think that it puts too much pressure on Gourgeist to tank Earthquakes who doesn't have reliable recovery :(. Conk. obviously has a lot of power but its common counters (Talonflame especially) are difficult for me to protect aginst. They're both better than Exploud but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I'm going to edit the OP to show the sets I'm using both both.

Oh I also changed to a move offensive porygon2 set as vest conkeldurr and heatran both help protect against powerful special attackers.

Last edited:
You run offensive Porygon2, and it can handle Talonflame very nicely if it isn't already weakend.
252+ SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 252-298 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (at +1 sp atk [which you probably get since talonflame has lower sp def] its dead)
While...
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 156-184 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Which, granted is not the best thing, but the fact that virtually any damage prior to your attack could let you KO it, so I think that is a pretty good trade.​
Not to mention SR scares talonflames away.

Acestrike, i am a trick room fan too and currently building a team around tyrantrum, do you have any update to your trick doom team since mawile banned?

For offense why not use porygon Z?
Because Porygon-Z has a base speed of 90. Even with 0 Ivs in speed it still reaches 185, which is way too fast for a Trick Room Pokemon. Even Choice Band Scizor is slower than Porygon-Z and can take advantage of Trick Room and OHKO Porygon-Z with Superpower. Plus Porygon 2 is more bulkier than Porygon-Z and can take a few hits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)