Trick Jellicent + Other Shenanigans

Please leave a few suggestions!! I need validation for the mediocre content I toss into the Internet void to fill the bigger void of existence itself thanks

Also please ignore the truly terrible nicknames I've given my Pokemon

I've had mixed success with this team. Like all teams, it has counters. Alomomola, for example, counters a lot of my pokes, but if I predict well, I can get around it. Also, trick shuts down a lot of pokemon, and is pretty unexpected from a Jellicent. Jellicent has amazing synergy with Steelix too, being immune to two of Steelix's weaknesses. Earthquake doesn't do much against Steelix's physical bulk, and Earth Power doesn't do much against Jellicent's special bulk — they form a very strong core and then the rest of my team is pretty generic RU trash.

Also!1! I'm too lazy to do damage calcs so my EV spreads are either like 4/252/252 or ripped straight from Smogon please help me out ahaha

Here are a few replays! This team had been tweaked from a previous team of mine so I don't have that many. It's also like 12 am here bluh. I wanted to link a good battle in which I lose after my team gets countered, but I'm too tired to play anymore, so have these two mediocre battles! In which I win yay!
  1. Battle 1
  2. Battle 2
Here's the team!!!

Cappuccino
Cinccino @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Tail Slap
- Knock Off

Yes, I know Cinccino's trash. Yes, I know King's Rock + Skill Link is a cheap and sleazy strategy. Yes, I know pretty much every single Cinccino runs the same set. But it's adorable, it's fast, I needed grass- and rock-type moves to kill things like Houndoom and Gastrodon, and I can hax my way through battles with flinch. Skill Link is also really valuable against focus sash-users such as Smeargle. It's walled by pretty much any steel type and is predictable as heck, so if anybody has some good ideas for replacements, I'm all ears. Don't suggest Accelgor for Giga Drain though. I hate Accelgor and will not use it ever >:0

Speedy
Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mega Steelix is pretty much the best Pokémon in the RU tier. Also I'm such a huge fan of its design oh my god. It's so fat it's got its own goddamn orbit. How many Pokémon can say that???????? Only Steelix.
Anyways, basically RestTalk for survivability & to piss off the opponent, also because I hate having a wall without recovery. Two STABs with good coverage within the tier, with a strong attack stat to back them up. It can survive basically any non-boosted hit, especially with my max SpDef investment & almost max HP investment, its amazing base defense, and great typing. Look at the glint in its eyes. It will eat you for breakfast. As a pancake, to be exact, after it has smushed you into one with Heavy Slam.​

Kimblee
Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower

Flygon is another Pokémon which has great synergy with Steelix. Actually, not particularly, but I use it as a switch-in for ground-type moves. It's also my counter for other Mega Steelix in case something bad happens to Jellicent — Earth Power is a guaranteed 2HKO. Roost to heal off Life Orb recoil damage, Dragon Pulse for other STAB, Flamethrower for coverage. I know Flygon's SpAtk stat is not great, but it has a really good special moveset to make up for it. Also yes I named it after FMAB Kimblee :PP

Plague Doctor
Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Pretty generic support Aromatisse/sassy pink asshole! Also special tank of sorts. Very good at countering Hitmonlee, Clawitzer, and Scrafty, which all threaten the rest of my team pretty hard. Also has synergy with Steelix, resisting fighting, while Steelix is immune to poison and resists steel. It's basically a worse version of Florges in every way, including its disappointing design, but surprisingly bulky for a fluffy pink thing. Aromatherapy because Cinccino can't take being paralyzed or burned, Jellicent can't take being toxiced (toxicked?), and to wake Steelix up early from Rest. Aroma Veil also means it can't be taunted hahah suckas. Moonblast for a damaging move, which actually hits surprisingly hard sometimes, and has the added bonus of lowering Special Attack sometimes.​

Marie-Antoinette
Jellicent (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Scald
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

This slot on my team has gone through several switches, actually. It used to be a Swoobat with Klutz + Flame Orb + Trick, then turned into a Sigilyph with Magic Guard + Flame Orb + Trick, then turned into Marie-Antoinette. I don't know if you can tell, but I love the move Trick. Tricking a tanky, annoy Poke a Choice Scarf is a pretty efficient way to shut them down, and is unexpected coming from a Jellicent (I honestly didn't even know it learned Trick until I searched Trick in the teambuilder). Scald as main attacking move, for the chance to burn & also for a non-shitty move to be Choice Scarfed into. Recover for when the Choice Scarf has been tricked away, for, um, recovery. Max speed so that I can use it to revenge kill if the Choice Scar hasn't been tricked away already. I actually haven't used Shadow Ball too much so I would really appreciate suggestions for the fourth move slot! I was thinking about Will-O-Wisp but that might be too situational given that Jellicent's initial item is a Choice Scarf.
I was going to work "Let them eat cake" into this description somehow but 1. Marie-Antoinette never actually said that & 2. there was no fitting place in my description to put it so.
"Let them eat fat jellyfish ass"

Get legs
Hitmonlee @ Normal Gem
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about Hitmonlee. But I desperately needed priority on my team, as well as a counter to DDance Tyrantrum. A very generic, easy-to-predict set, but I've been pretty bad at using it. I'm learning, though.
My biggest complaints is that it doesn't hit hard enough as I would like and I'm really not a big fan of its design, and Unburden wears off after switching. Also it's way too frail to be a viable switch-in to anything. Please suggest changes to this slot! I haven't grown attached enough to Hitmonlee to feel bad about replacing it. Maybe another member of the Hitmon- trio!!! I like Hitmonchan and Hitmontop both more than Hitmonlee. Mach Punch can't hit ghost-types though :(

Last edited:
Hi!
Your team is straight fire. Although I may not like how memey it is I can appreciate the effort :3

Run a choice specs set of Water Spout/Scald/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball or Energy Ball. This way you have more power. I dont think scarf is really needed as you already have a cleaner in Hitmonlee.
You could run Stone Edge if you want to hit Flying types more effectively, although it isnt needed.
A Specially defensive set is relatively mediocre, so instead suggest running a physically defensive set, as to check the mons you listed in the desc. more effectively.
Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse and Fire Blast > Flamethrower as to have more power. Also Dragon Pulse is piss weak rip
Your ev's arent great. Instead run 252 hp/96 atk/76 spdef/84 spe with an adamant nature. Also run the rocks set available on smogon.

TL;DR
Choice Specs Jellicent > Choice Scarf Jellicent
Stone Edge > Bullet Punch on Hitmonlee (if you want)
Physically Defensive > Specially Defensive Aromatisse
Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse, Fire Blast > Flamethrower, Defog > Roost on Flygon
Fix ev's on Mega-Steelix

Last edited:
Hey there man, i liked the choices you made, though there are a couple of things i would change on this team.

So for cincinno, you say you wanted something fast, power, able to outspeed houndoom and gastrodon and ko them, and be able to counter smeargle? Well Virizion does all these roles much better and more.
- >
I suggest changing Ciccino to Virizion as its more splashable on this team. Virizion offers some grass coverage that you lack and brings some powerful sets that threaten some teams. I would go for a Max attack and max speed set with Leaf blade/close combat/swords dance/zen headbutt set. Swords dance helps with boosting up Virizions somewhat lackluster attack stat to great levels, Leaf blade takes out bulky water types and annoying pokemon like diancie and flygon, Close combat is its primary fighting stab to deal with Mega steelix, houndoom, and bronzong. Finally Zen heabutt provides a solid answer vs venusaur and golbat and offers a better option against fighting types like emboar. I also recommend a lum berry to shrug off a twave or willowisp users like spiritomb.
Now for steelix, i dont recommend the rest talk set for this type of team since its more leaning for a stall team. A set of 252 HP/92 attack/76 spd/84 speed is the casual set and it works for every team. 92 attack gives steelix the ability to ko ttrum and mega glalie after rocks, 84 speed is outspeed rhyperior which can threaten steelix with a scary equake, and the rest is given in hp and spd for more bulk. I would keep heavy slam and earthquake but switch out rest and sleep talk for toxic and stealth rocks. Stealth rocks provides some hazards to weaken fire, flying, and ice pokemon which can potentially scare the team, and toxic acts an option when facing pokemon that can wall equake and heavy slam such as fletchinder, and bulky water types

It seems like you have no hazard remover, id suggest Defog on flygon. Defog offers as a solution to remove spikes and rocks which can really annoy the team by weakening it every time you send something out. Id also recommend Draco meteor - > Dragon pulse. Dragon pulse is far too weak for flygon and cant really harm anything major, Draco meteor acts as a way to hit most harder. Finally instead of flamethrower, switch out for fire blast. With what i said with dragon pulse earlier, flamethrower cant hit a lot of pokemon hard due to flygons average base spa. Fire blast will give it more power and able to 2ko more things such as av tangrowth and bronzong.

Anyways thats it for the rate, hope you contribute to these changes, ill give the sets right below, enjoy!

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Defog

Or

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire blast
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Defog

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
Hey man, nice team! Adding on to the suggestions choompers and fineonbae made. I agree with changes to Jellicent as specs will be more effective in this build. I believe the steelix and flygon changes are very needed (roost/draco meteor/roost/defog) as well as the steelix change as rocks are essential and will be more effective over the curse set.
If you need speed control on your team I would neglect using the normal gem + fake out hitmonlee set as it proven to be very gimmicky and instead would choose a scarf hitmonlee as it has the ability to outspeed threats that you are wary of like scarf tyrantrum with a nice base 87 speed tier. Reckless provides high jump kick with a nice boost as it will be your main spammable move, along with knock off for ghosts, stone edge in predicting mons like fletchinder to switch in, as well as a final move of close combat > rapid spin as you already have a defogger and close combat ensures not missing in times where you do not need to click high jump kick, and rapid spin is very full of cons as it locks you into rapid spin and opponents can easily take advantage of this.
->
I agree in replacing Cincinno, however I have a different move in suggestion than virizion. As virizion may be a splashable mon on most teams, having a hitmonlee decreasing the effectiveness of this team with the overlapping weaknesses and moves. Instead I would recommend running venusaur over cinccino. Spdef Alomomola as well as other bulky waters can prove very troublesome for your team and virizion may be able to switch into toxic one time, it overall gets worn down very easily. Venusaur is able to absorb toxics and scalds very easily and has a nice moveset to accompany it as well as relatively few switch ins. (Your spdef Aromatisse already takes care of Houndoom very well, as well the scarf hitmonlee, and this mon takes care of gastrodon which you were worrying about) The most effective set I would say with your team would be a life orb variant consisting of leaf storm/synthesis/sludge bomb and knock off. As durant left the tier knock off > hp fire appreciated and whittles many of its threats such as golbat and registeel. Leaf storm is the most spammable move that will be hitting the bulky waters like alomomola while sludge bomb hits fairies and mons like Tangrowth. Synthesis is generally just to increase the longetivity of your mon.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!!!
I'll definitely take the suggestion on Specs Jellicent, but I'm going to keep the Trick and Scald haha. Trick is just far too useful, especially against Sigilyph and Alomomola, both of which get completely shut down with a choice item.
I really like the idea of Virizion over Cinccino too! I really should have thought of that tbh. Dugtrio might be an issue with sash + Reversal & Sucker Punch, and Cinccino has generally been my answer to that, so ideas would be appreciated. I wouldn't really want to sacrifice something for Hitmonlee to be able to come in as the only priority user on my team, and I really don't want to get rid of RestTalk for Stealth Rock on Steelix, since it's Steelix's only form of recovery.
I'll switch out Dragon Pulse for Draco Meteor. My team has generally not been too threatened by hazards, but several layers of spikes have proven to be issues. So I might switch Roost out for Defog, like Chompers suggests.
Fineonbae, thanks for the suggestions on EV spreads! I'll change the EVs on Steelix. I probably won't make Aromatisse completely defensive though - I still need it to wall Clawitzer and Special Eelektross. Even without defensive EVs, it has stood up really well to Hitmonlee and Scrafty.
& I'll take Chakra's suggestion for the Scarf on Hitmonlee. I agree the Fake-Out set is really gimmicky. But I really do like Virizion better than Venusaur, sorry :( ...Toxic hasn't proven to be a huge problem, and Trick has mostly been my answer to bulky water types.

Edit!!!
I did switch out Cinccino with Virizion, and ran Stone Edge over Zen Headbutt because I desperately needed rock-type coverage against the likes of Charizard & Fletchinder
I replaced Hitmonlee with Sneasel! One of my favorite pokes. Great speed, decent attack, good priority in Ice Shard with no immunities. It's been going very well. I like these two Pokes a lot thanks everyone!

Updated Sets:

Verizon (Virizion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

RU Next (Sneasel) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)