Trick-or-Treat

Except the fact that The most powerful move coming from both Physical and Special sides of other Pokemon would be either Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Shadow Claw, and Night slash/sucker punch, which are all base 80 or lower (Excluding shadow force and Night daze, which are uncommon) Which TT can EASILY take.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Except the fact that The most powerful move coming from both Physical and Special sides of other Pokemon would be either Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Shadow Claw, and Night slash/sucker punch, which are all base 80 or lower (Excluding shadow force and Night daze, which are uncommon) Which TT can EASILY take.
Tyranitar's main use is for its resistances. While granting it a Ghost type does remove some of its weaknesses (Bug and Fighting), it also takes away its resistance to what are now two of the best attacking types in the game. As an example, if you try to set up a Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar, it's suddenly taking much more damage from Bisharp's Sucker Punch than it was before, and will now always be KO'd by the combination of Iron Head + Sucker Punch where it had a shot at before.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem with Trick-or-Treat is type repetitiveness. Gourgeist itself already baits in Ghost-types counters; adding another Ghost-type onto your partner is like tempting in a sweeper with an appetizer and then arranging its main course meal.

What Trick-or-Treat SHOULD be used for is as an OFFENSIVE tool, not a defensive one. Adding a Ghost-type onto opponents to support, say, a Bisharp or Aegislash sweep sounds a lot more useful, for instance adding a Ghost-typing to Mega Kangaskhan so it can be checked with Knock Off. Gourgeist itself also becomes a much more potent offensive threat that can deal super effective damage with priority Shadow Sneak once its opponents are made weak to it.

Also, it's sad that it doesn't get priority :( That would make it quite useful indeed

Yeah powder got priority where is the love. I like to see a pokemon with prankster get Trick or Treat.

But it will most likely remain only an exclusive Gourgeist move for a while.

YOU FORGOT SMEARGLE YOU ALL FORGOT SMEARGLE
SMEARGLE + TRICK-OR-TREAT + MEGA LUCARIO = KYLECOLE'S WORST NIGHTMARE
That's true. Smeargle could catch people off guard, but Gourgeist-S has base 99 speed, which is faster then Smeargle. Smeargle in doubles/triples would be targeted HARD anyways, so using a Smeargle set with trick-or-treat would be gimmicky at best.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think TTar and Gourgeist form a sweet combination tbh. They both cover each other's weaknesses well. If the opponent lacks a Bisharp/Mega Gengar, giving TTar a Ghost-typing would only benefit it after a DD boost. As Electrolyte mentioned, Gourgeist can also use Trick or Treat to take away the opponents resistance/neutrality to Tyranitar's boosted STAB Crunch.

Another thing I have been trying out with limited success is pairing Gourgeist with Kangaskhan. Normal/Ghost is a sick typing, giving Kangaskhan an immunity to Normal-, Fighting-, AND Ghost-type moves, and is only weak to Dark-type moves (which can admittedly be annoying). Small Gourgeist has 99 base Speed, so it can actually move faster than Kangaskhan if it goes Jolly and Kangaskhan goes Adamant. Kangaskhan has access to Shadow Claw, so with a Ghost-typing it receives a strong STAB to eliminate Ghost-types (I used it over Fake Out). Gourgeist can then spread Ghost-typing on the opponent's side to make them fall prey to Kangaskhan's STAB Shadow Claw / Sucker Punch :d Gourgeist can support Kangaskhan further with moves like Safeguard, Will-o-Wisp, and/or Disable.

Despite having the same base defense stats as super Gourgeist, investing heavily in Speed + Jolly Nature makes Gourgeist much frailer than I expected, especially on the specially defensive side. The lack of Protect on either Pokemon also makes it harder to coordinate this strategy (I should change that).

Last edited:
I think TTar and Gourgeist form a sweet combination tbh. They both cover each other's weaknesses well. If the opponent lacks a Bisharp, giving TTar a Ghost-typing would only benefit it after a DD boost. As Electrolyte mentioned, Gourgeist can also use Trick or Treat to take away the opponents resistance/neutrality to Tyranitar's boosted STAB Crunch.

Another thing I have been trying out with limited success is pairing Gourgeist with Kangaskhan. Normal/Ghost is a sick typing, giving Kangaskhan an immunity to Normal-, Fighting-, AND Ghost-type moves, and is only weak to Dark-type moves (which can admittedly be annoying). Small Gourgeist has 99 base Speed, so it can actually move faster than Kangaskhan if it goes Jolly and Kangaskhan goes Adamant. Kangaskhan has access to Shadow Claw, so with a Ghost-typing it receives a strong STAB to eliminate Ghost-types (I used it over Fake Out). Gourgeist can then spread Ghost-typing on the opponent's side to make them fall prey to Kangaskhan's STAB Shadow Claw / Sucker Punch :d Gourgeist can support Kangaskhan further with moves like Safeguard, Will-o-Wisp, and/or Disable.

Despite having the same base defense stats as super Gourgeist, investing heavily in Speed + Jolly Nature makes Gourgeist much frailer than I expected, especially on the specially defensive side. The lack of Protect on either Pokemon also makes it harder to coordinate this strategy (I should change that).
I totally agree. Mega or not, TT becomes a massive threat with the ghost typing added.

Maybe I just play against bad people, but I've had so many people [so many being 4 or 5] try to use fighting or normal moves even after trick-or-treating, even after it's failed before. Anyway, doing it on Mega-Kanga lead is pretty cool, especially since dark moves are less common than fighting moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)