Trick Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably had fun using your own team didn't you? Pokemon should be fun, not seen as work, or seen as "there is only one way to play". Fresh concepts are the best IMO. This is what I am aiming for when I make a team. It has to be unique, something that your opponent would not have prepared for before. Something new and different. Not your old Top/Kyogre/Abomasnow/Dialga team or whatever is most common. I give you props Jayque for using a different team.

Half these people are just mad because they knew if they ran into you at VGC, they wouldn't have been able to counter your team and they'd lose.

"Half these people are just mad because they knew if they ran into you at VGC, they wouldn't have been able to counter your team and they'd lose."

Wow, it's actually the exact opposite. People are mad because they don't understand how a team like this (Which indeed is creative and interesting, I'm not calling it bad at all!) could win in a "metagame" like this. (especially with Kyogre and Palkia running everywhere) That's reasonable. If people really are posting because they know they'd lose, then they should really shut up, but that's NOT the case.

Nevertheless, congrats on the T8.

Jayque, you can copy your text into Notepad to strip it off the Word formatting and then repaste it into Smogon. Click "Edit" on your post to do so.

Anyway, by calling the people replying to you arrogant, you are coming off as arrogant yourself. The logic you're following under your battle with the hypothetical Ludicolo + Kyogre user is not good. You're assuming they're stupid. Hippowdon - at least when I last played Pokemon - is an incredibly common Pokemon in the OU metagame which most people going to this has played. The only attacks I know that Solrock learns are Trick Room, Explosion, Light Screen, and Reflect. I honestly don't know what else it does. Neither of your Pokemon were "unique" in that they were doing something an intelligent player shouldn't have recognized. Aside from Dig, your strat seems like something anyone would see a mile away. Fake Out shouldn't have been 50/50 on your Solrock. It should have been assumed as most people will Fake Out the TR user. Water Spout would come out and you're crippled. You then assume they'd switch out which I also see as foolhardy. I don't know why that would happen. You don't have TR out and they have two faster Pokemon to bring you down.

Like I said in the other topic: Congratulations on making Top 8. Good luck in Nationals. Your team served you well, but please don't push it as some sort of "anti-metagame" or "metagame-disruptor" team because it isn't. However, I do also want to congratulate you for thinking of a strategy and using Pokemon that can carry out the strategy.
Firestorm …. You make valid points. If calling anyone arrogant came off as arrogant, then I do humbly apologize – and I mean that sincerely. I am a strategist and enjoy the game far more than anything. I learned back when I played Magic: The Gathering competitively that going against the 4 or 5 stock strategies was a difficult road to follow. There is pride when things work, and something about seeing carefully thought up concepts and strategies effectively working in practice called out extremely negatively by people who had no first hand knowledge of what was going on … well it brought out the fifth grader in me to some level.

I don’t know your OU metagames. I know last year in VGC hippo was viable because Tyranitar was out due to no level-down. My assumption is that most people would not be mentally prepared for Hippo – or at the very least would think I was clueless for not choosing his mighty big brother Tyranitar. The weaker I looked the better things went for me.

Solrock what else does he do … gyro ball, zen headbutt, stone edge, solar beam, grass knot, substitute, pain split, Rock Slide, EQ, flamethrower – though some of that is SAT and would be too weak to bring to tourney – but that is what I know off the top of my head.

Fake Out – it wasn’t 50% possibility that I was stating – hindsight the phrase was used incorrectly for what I wanted to state. By 50/50 I meant they had option 1 or option 2. I predicted option 2. They could have selected option 1 so there are two choices. Either choice was possible – though one was more probable. This is why I did not protect Hippo the first turn when I saw fake out. I assumed his Sash meant I would get in my EQ (or other move if EQ was not the most effective for the situation). When there was no fakeout. I assumed that if trick room got off – and I had protected the first round, the explosion was not going to be predicted in round 2 and they would not protect. Whether I was right or wrong, it worked in practice. The follow-up explosion from Regirock (when the situation looked good) was usually a surprise. Regirock is not generally slower than Hippo, so the dig "should" go off before he can explode which meant no protect by Hippo. The only way to make it work was to lower the regi’s speed via item, which I expected nobody to deduce.

You don’t know why I would expect a switchout? That actually surprised me. A team which is built heavily on special attack loses the water boost to their moves, in the case of scarf/spout/ogre has had their move power depleted by a STAB’d EQ hitting their weaker defensive stat which is likely not EV trained. Now, the ludi is in good shape being strong against the EQ … but what makes more strategic sense – fighting to the death because you can take these two guys out, or playing it safe and switching the weather to kill a 50% boost – especially since they have NO IDEA what is in the back two slots. I must be carrying Dialga and Giratina – or my own Ogre… Can they afford to press it here? Again, they did half life (assuming a fake out and water spout) to my Solrock – before taking the EQ. Yes, a berry went off – I believed in a single elimination tournament, that even the possibility of a surviving Solrock meant the best solution was to change the weather and kill my 50% SDF boost. Some players would even venture to shift the weather by switching in first turn after losing the weather battle; because they could later bring in Ogre in the rain to decimate my team – or so I thought the thinking would be.

I thank you for the congratulations. I certainly didn’t intend to sound as if I was begging for accolades or praise. I don’t believe the team is a meta-game disruptor in the long run. Nor, do I expect it to ever be such. I believe it disrupted the meta-game once. I have stated it was a one shotter. One assumption everyone is making is that you would have recognized all four pokemon in my team by my front two. I had to come here to defend myself and explain the team… so no, I don’t see it was as transparent as most would assume. I also think that assumed responses to my front two have the luxury of knowing the back two - but I could very well be the one who is mistaken in that thinking.

I found it amusing to see someone attempting to use the team on the pokeymon-online tool (not first hand but seeing the statistics show hippo, regi, and solrock all listed with 26 uses – makes me assume such). The team is retired from my end, but if you really want the details – PM me for natures/EVs or even to battle. As I said, I expect knowing what is coming that it gets wiped – but I am happy to play with it – even if it loses every match from here out.

I like to do things … different. Records (win-losses) aren’t my style. Half (or probably more) of what I come up with never works as intended … but, when something goes right, getting mud-stomped on the path to discovering it is so worth it. I’m looking forward to nationals, and even I lose every match in the swiss (a high probability), I'm gonna have a blast.

Just skimmed through the thread, awesome idea. Gotta be honest, my team would probably beat it, or at least do better than most, but then I used Imprison which isn't exactly a standard strategy (despite it seeming like one of the most obvious to me. Finding the common sets and stratagies are ruining your team? Exploding? Trickroom? Protect? Then why not block it :p). And at the end of the day this is about having fun and/or winning, and if your team achieves whichever of those you're aiming for then fantastic. Which evidently yours did.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow. I only read the first post, but congratulations on your awesome team and strategic thinking. That's what I call thinking outside the box! A gold star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)