Trick Room Shenanigans

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Outraged Formula, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Outraged Formula

Outraged Formula

Hello there, and welcome to my first RMT. I've been playing competitively as a hobby for a while, but I've never had an urge to build a dedicated team until recently. I've settled on using and abusing Trick Room. Trick Room itself presents some interesting limitations, and some unique advantages, listed below.

• Trick Room only provides me with about 3 turns of usability. It counts for five, but that includes the turn it's used on (and as the last move of the turn by default, is completely and utterly useless), and the turn I use switching to a sweeper. With only 3 turns, I've focused on heavy hitters with either hard to dodge coverage moves, or just flat out power as I do not want to be wasting turns with something as minor as an 2HKO.
    • In that regard it's very difficult, if not outright impossible to use boosting moves, as those waste a turn of Trick Room. Often I'll need to switch out my heavy hitter for something to set up Trick Room again.
    • As a bonus, however, Trick Room also lets me focus on bulkier, slower sweepers without penalty. Typically these only move at the speed of smell, and are very easy to OHKO (through a Super-effective move) or 2HKO without set up or clearing of their threats. With Trick Room however, their bulk makes them very difficult to kill, as their power will often overwhelm you before you can get off a 2HKO.
    • In building and running this team, I've noticed that a lot of Pokemon you'd think would be wonderful under Trick Room are far too vulnerable to be of use. Rampardos is a prime example. It's typing and defenses make it a glass cannon that can only survive in the boundaries of Trick Room (and that's only if it can come in safely). It's too slow (which is great but leaves it helpless when I can't set it up), and typical coverage-types will decimate it anywhere else. Escavalier (one of the Pokemon below) suffers a bit from this as well, but his typing and defenses allow him to at least come in on stuff and that more than makes up for it.

Below is the team I've come up with so far, along with the reasoning I had for each item, moveset, and EV spread. Sorry if the explanations are kind of lacking, as this is honestly the first time I've ever sat down and put my thoughts about each of these Pokemon to words.

[​IMG]
    Jacques (Uxie) @ Red Card
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 Def / 126 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Trick Room
    - U-turn
    - Stealth Rock
    - Psychic

Uxie is a dedicated lead (a rarity in this day and age) and does particularly well in that regard. It's got enough bulk to live through pretty much anything and everything another Pokemon can throw at it, so I can set up my Stealth Rocks, and my first round of Trick Room with impunity. Usually, I follow with a U-Turn to switch into Escavalier or Conkeldurr. Red Card is a fun irritant that forces switches and puts my opponent on the backfoot as a result.

In terms of EVs, I with a defensively heavy mindset as most of the leads I've seen have been a bit physical attackers, which are certainly hampered by 252 Defensive EVs off 130 Base Defense and a Red Card

[​IMG]
    Bonaparte (Escavalier) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Double-Edge
    - Pursuit

DAT Megahorn. The satisfaction of watching your magnificent horn of justice pierce the heavens, and almost always get a OHKO is a feeling I can't put into words. He works so well off of Uxie, in that he has only one weakness, and resists so much that he can come in on almost anything (you'll see why in a second). Escavalier more often than not, will force a switch into my Megahorn, which is still hurt like a ton of bricks if it's not an outright OHKO.

With regards to what I mentioned earlier, Fire-types and Pokemon with Fire-type moves as coverage limit my options considerably, as I simply can't come in on Fire-moves at all.

[​IMG]
    Ivan (Conkeldurr) @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    - Mach Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Payback
    - Facade

Conkeldurr has such great synergy with Uxie, in that I can U-Turn to him and set up Guts the turn he comes in. Guts, with STAB Priority (in Mach Punch) and/or STAB Drain Punch (that hits first for 3 turns) makes him an unpleasant thing to face. He's slow and bulky enough that I he can also afford to stay in after for a turn or two to Mach Punch. Facade is obligatory, and smacks anything that Conkeldurr's fists can't make into a fine paste; Payback is there for coverage, but I oftentimes find myself avoiding using it simply because it negates the usefulness of Trick Room by forcing me to go last.

Initially, I used a Toxic Orb, as that allowed me so somewhat limit the amount of status damage Conkeldurr takes. After 3 turns, it evens out with the Burn Orb, and allows me to take less damage overall if I need to switch out before Trick Room finishes (Ghost-type/Bird I can't kill, etc). I went with the Burn Orb after I found myself wanting to stay in longer to use Mach Punches to finish opponents, although I'm still unsure of which to use.

[​IMG]
    Athena (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 230 HP / 28 Def / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball

The late game quicker-picker-upper. I avoid using him until the late game, because he's a Trick Room monster in his own right. He can set it up and sweep, negating the missing turn of Trick Room (thus netting 4 overall) in the process.

[​IMG]
    Brutus (Dusknoir) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 138 Def / 120 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Rock Slide
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Pain Split

A defensively powerful Trick Room-using spinblocker. He can typically come in whenever he wants to and does a good job of stopping Spins and forcing switches. Typically after I come in with him, there's enough bulk to drop a Trick Room before switching out or departing. Rock Slide provides interesting coverage in that people don't often expect it, and with Trick Room often that nets me a free kill if I don't switch out.

[​IMG]
    Calder (Slowking) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Fire Blast

Once Uxie goes down, Slowking is who I depend on to set up Trick Room afterwards. Not as hefty on the defensive side as Uxie, but with Regenerator, it doesn't matter. Usually, it's set up Trick Room, and if I can see Fire/Water/Physic being sweep material, he'll stay in. If not, he switches and lets Regenerator kick in. Psyshock over Physic is something I'm not really sure about at the moment, but it's yet to fail me so far.

EVs are again for bulk, and to kill threats that my traditional sweepers can't take out on their own.

Issues I've Noticed:

• I need OHKOs to be effective. Trick Room effectively gives me 3 turns to rampage (as it counts the turn it's used on, and with Uxie and Slowking I often have to switch out to a bulkier threat), and I can't afford to spend two of them on a single Pokemon. The ability Sturdy and Focus Sash Pokemon in particular, give me issues if I don't have Stealth Rocks up.
    • Slow Pokemon are irritating annoyances; they can use my Trick Room better than I can because it allows them to abuse their bulk. Ferrothorn and Snorlax are Pokemon that stick in my mind as problems.

I think I've done alright, but I've never had a second opinion take a critical look at this team before. Any suggestions?
  2. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Man, welcome to the Smogon Community

Try to read this before posting:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=119&a=176

Otherwise, mods are going to lock your thread
  3. august

august when the storm screams angela, angela
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnuswon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

What he said ^ please lengthen your descriptions of this will be locked.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)