1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Trick Room

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Drizzler13, May 21, 2013.

1. Drizzler13

Drizzler13

Third edition, and so far, the most successful one since it has actually made some opponents rage quit. Enjoy!
    At a glance

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Smeargle @focus sash (Lvl 1)
    Own tempo
    EV's: 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    -Trick room
    -Endeavor
    -Dragon Rage
    -Spore

The Suicide Lead. When you see her, she'll be a nightmare. The reason she's at level 1 is for Endeavor to be at full strength. If given the chance: she can set up TR, put something to sleep, leave something with 1 HP and then kill it with Dragon Rage. If not all goes to plan due to the threat of being taunted, just Endeavor something and and kill it off with Dragon Rage.

[​IMG]
    Conkeldurr @Life Orb
    Sheer Force
    EV's: 120 HP/252 Att/136 SpDef
    Nature: Brave (+Att, -Spe)
    -Drain punch
    -Mach punch
    -Ice punch
    -Thunder punch

He's the main attacker of the team. Thunder punch and Ice punch of his moves abuse of Sheer Force, which makes the life orb recoil disappear. Drain Punch to recover any lost damage and Mach Punch for sweet priority

[​IMG]
    Reuniclus @Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    EV's: 194 HP/252 SpAtt/64 Def
    Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
    -Trick room
    -Psychic
    -Focus blast
    -HP (Fire)

Another trick room user. This one can actually attack once it sets it up with either STAB or Focus Blast. The EVs are spread that way so it can take a Bullet Punch from Scizor and retaliate back with its HP Fire

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    EV's: 232 HP/180 SpA/96 SpD
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Att)
    -Trick Room
    -Giga Drain
    -U-turn
    -Stealth Rock

A little odd for a Trick Room setter due to high speed, but that's the reason she does the job really well. (I see Celebi as a "she" due to PMD). Also, i needed someone to set up hazards and to take hits from those over hyped rain teams. Perfect candidate. U-turn lets me switch into a sweeper as soon as I set up Trick Room. Giga Drain pairs up perfectly with leftovers due its recovery.

[​IMG]
    Porygon2 @Eviolite
    download
    EV's: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpA
    Nature; Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
    -Trick Room
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Recover

And yet, another Trick Room user. Like reuniclus, after it sets up trick room it can deliver strong attacks with its BoltBeam combo. Eviolite+Recover lets it work as a very good Tank

[​IMG]
    Terrakion@choice scarf
    justified
    EV's: 252 Att/252 Spe/4 SpDef
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -X-scissor
    -Rock Slide

Terrakion is the trump card of the team when TR can't be set up and actually works like a charm. Close combat and Stone edge are the main choice to attack due to the amazing coverage. X-scissor is there for those bulky psychics (namely Celebi) and rock slide is there for it's helpful flinching rate.

Please rate! :)

(I would like to thank Sciztar and Rosez66 for their awesome suggestions)

Final Glance
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Rosez66

Rosez66

Alright firstly well done man for trick room it's an awesome stragey take a look at my trick room sand team if it helps you out. But anyways I never really liked dusclops because it has a no offensive presence which is why I would recommend using moment over shadow sneak, this way after using trick room you can bring conk in for free. Now onto conk, I never really liked him I'm a machamp fan but if you do choose to employe this stragey I would use a status orb mon and sub, the reason being the opponent will be forced to switch then you can set up a sub on the switch and activate you orb and what's more you have two more turns to sweep with huge offensive pokemon, I would even go as far to say using focus punch although Its your won decision as drain punch and two coverage moves if more then good enough. On reun I would use the standard set with higher defense, can't think of the evd number of the top of my head and use hidden power fire over recover the reason being you have no fire moves.... And with scizor around every corner you could be in trouble, reun is also a good lure. On your porygon2 its sime but very effective however I would use thunderbolt over discharge, the reason being the parylse rate, the last thing you want is something surviving the onslaught and come out with a paralyse and then be slower then you! Lastly I would scrap fore althougher for choice scarf terrakion, this way you have a huge offensive pivot for when trick room isn't in play. Anyways hope I have helped and good luck :)
  3. Drizzler13

Drizzler13

Thank you for the rate Rosez66. I'll try out your suggestions. And btw, saw your TR team and i gotta say it looks amazing the dual strategy is genius.
  4. Drizzler13

Drizzler13

please bump..
  5. xHeadHonchkrow

xHeadHonchkrow

you could also try bulk up in place of sub it would just make your drain punch stronger and boost defense if you were able to chase something off. Conk wins for tr teams.
  6. Sciztar

Sciztar

Hey Drizzler, I was told you need some help with your Trick Room team.

From first glance at your team you have no Pokemon that can set up Entry Hazards. This is very crucial in helping your Trick Room Sweepers get some crucial OHKO instead of 2HKO. Your Dusclops has a no offensive presence to your team now if you want a suidide lead I recommend changing Dusclop for Trick Room Smeargle.

[​IMG]
    Smeargle (F) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 Spd [Lvl.1]
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Endeavor
    - Trick Room
    - Spore
    - Dragon Rage

This is fear for many teams. If the opponent is lacking a taunter Smeargle can be in the dominant position from the beginning. Smeargle is here to set the first Trick Room in the game with the aim to debilitate 1 (or even 2 when lucky) of the enemy's pokemon. With this set your main strategy will be Endeavor+Dragon Rage. Now Smeargle isn't here to stay long due to his frailty it will give you sometime maybe around 2-3 Trick room turns left that Conkeldurr could use to finish tearing through your opponents team with the proper prediction skill.

Next up is Conkeldurr. While the Status Orb was very popular during BW1 and early BW2 before Conkeldurr got extra coverage moves. So now we need to try and not have your Trick Room sweeper taking extra damage due to Status Orb. Here is the set I recommend,

[​IMG]
    Conkeldurr (M) @ [​IMG]
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd) [0 Speed IVs]
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - ThunderPunch
    - Mach Punch

The mainselling point in this set is Conkeldurr's stronger coverage moves and lack of recoil this set suffers from compared to your status orb set. Thunderpunch and Ice Punch are Conkeldurr's coverage moves which provides the BoltBeam coverage. The two grant Conkeldurr physical BoltBeam coverage and have 98 Base Power after the Sheer Force boost. The former is particularly useful against bulky Water-types; Jellicent will be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, and the latter is handy versus bulky ground- and grass-types; most Celebi and Landorus-T (after Intimidate) are OHKOed after Stealth Rock. Now its STAB doesn't get the Sheer Force boost causing Conkeldurr to take recoil damage, Drain Punch will heal the excess damage.

Now I said that you need Entry Hazards to help with Conkeldurr insure those OHKOs, so to help with this I recommend changing out Gastrodon for Special Defensive Celebi. Your team is weak to rain teams and Celebi helps with this problem and provide Stealth Rocks. WIth Keldeo and Co. running around in the OU you need a strong grass type to help with this problem.

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure

EVs:232 HP / 180 SpA / 96 SpD
    Calm Nature
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Hidden Power Fire / U-turn
    ~ Trick Room
    ~ Stealth Rock

With those SpA EVs it has a good chance to OHKO 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor after SR (83-99%) and 2HKO 252 HP / 168+ SpD Ferrothorn after SR (47-56%). If you don't care about nabbing those 2HKOs, going max HP / SpD is probably ideal for tanking those hits from SpecsToed, Thundurus-T, and Keldeo. U-turn is here to set up Trick Room and switch out to your sweeper.

Smaller nitpicks:

[​IMG]

• Adamant ====> Jolly Nature
    [​IMG]

• 252 HP/28 Def/200 SpA/28 SpDef ====> 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
    [​IMG]

• 196 HP/252 SpAtt/60 Def ===> 194 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA

Hoped this helped you and good luck with your team. If you have any concerns or want me to elaborate more feel free to PM me.
  7. Drizzler13

Drizzler13

Please bump
  8. Drizzler13

Drizzler13

please bump!
  9. Supahnin10doh

Supahnin10doh

I always love a good trick room team! this strategy doesnt get enough love! as far as your team goes, you have a pretty solid set up with lots of attackers which is hard to accomplish on a trick room team. My only thought is that you may want to look into a little more defense on your team. i know you have porygon2 with evolite for some bulk and celebi can hold its own, but both have the potential to be knocked out quickly. From my experience with my trick room team i found that this was the perfect physical wall:
    [​IMG]

(Dusclops) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Pain Split
    - Seismic Toss
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Trick Room

honestly this guy was the glue that held my team together, with trickroom set up dusclops could tear apart anyone not prepared for his bulk. While a lot of people dont like him for his lack of a reliable recovery move, as long as trick room is set up and you have a little foresight, painsplit will keep this guy alive longer than you would think. just watch out for other ghost types like gengar!
  10. akuto

akuto

First glance-
    Sd crunch lucario can put holes in this team, can even sweep if the opponent decides to run bullet punch over espeed. Any set of Gengar can also take shits on this team and laugh after due to the lack of Gengar counters, since celebi doesn't have any psychic type moves Gengar can completely set up with no worries on Celebi and cause havoc.

Theory's/in depth-
    Hear me out, your Smeargle is jolly, i would change that to -speed nature and give him 0-speed iv's, say if someone else has a level 1 Smeargle, you won't be faster then him but 63% of people go for TR first, this will give you an edge VS the other Smeargle because if you go for TR and he goes for trickroom then you will be faster in the end -end of theory-. Disable Gengar like I said shits on your team, he can come in on your terrakion spamming CC and set up sub and stall TR, if you go into Reun and spam psychic he will just spam sub until the TR is over and the 2HKO you with shadow ball. Also Lucario can also poke holes in this team if there is no TR up, if terrakion is locked into rockslide and Lucario comes in he can easily set up an SD and sweep your team, since celebi won't be faster and Lucario can crunch you and he's dead, you go back into Terrakion and get hit by a bullet punch since they're running bullet punch in place of Espeed, We were assuming conkeldur was dead in this scenario.

Changes-
    A HUGE change I would recommend is placing SR inpalce on dragon rage, it will break sash's and give you a free turn VS teams who need it spun away.
    Another change is replacing Terrakions rockslide with Toxic/sacred sword, I saw toxic because it gives you an edge VS tank switch ins if played correctly sacred sword just in case you don't need to lock yourself into CC and get debuffs, it will save you in alot of situations.
    Use this guy in place of P2
    [​IMG]
    Hydreigon
    nature-Modest @leftovers
    eve's-252HP/252Spattk/6Def/0Speed Iv's
    ~Substitute
    ~Dragon pulse
    ~Focus Blast
    ~Fire blast/Roost/Darkpulse

This guy will take care of most of your other problems, In a TR this man can easily come in force a switch, sub up and clean house, it will take care of lucario no problem, Gengar doesn't stand a chance against its Darkpulse because it OHKO's, it just gets things done for you and forces alot of pressure.

Change celebi's moveset to
    ~U-turn
    ~Psychic
    ~Trickroom
    ~Giga Drain

This will give you dual-stab which never hurts to have and you keep your recovery, mobility, TR.

That's it for me I hope you found my words helpful! :D
  11. Lampent

Lampent

As written in the Smogon rmt posting rules, only one bump is allowed. You have already used three. Just something to keep in mind.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)