1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

---{Triforce of P ▽ R P L E

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Shiruba, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Shiruba

Shiruba

[​IMG]

TRIFORCE OF PURPLE !

WHILST THOU SAVE THE GIRL... OR PLAY LIKE ONE?

----> [ introduction [​IMG]

Show Hide
    Hi, there! I'm Silver, or Alex, whichever you prefer. This is my first RMT, and honestly, the first team I've ever constructed by myself. Now, I'm more of a Bulky Offense type of person - I like Pokemon that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' as it were. However, my good friend is more of an offense/hyper-offensive kind of guy, and thus, my reasonings for making this team were twofold. One, I wanted to understand his thought process and be able to potentially beat him consistently, as his skill is rapidly ascending to rival mine: though, honestly, that doesn't mean much. Secondly, however, I want to get him interested in UU, so we can learn the tier together, as so far it's really fun and filled with tonnes of cool pokes. Making him a team [or at least something to base a team off of] would definitely be easier for him than doing stuff from scratch. Plus, Zelda is amazing and we both love it.

----> [ at a glance [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

----> [ team building process [​IMG]
    Show Hide

[​IMG]

So, from what I've read, a lot of people pick a certain pokemon to base their team around, helping to support it and so on. I recently had an awesome experience with a Carvahna in randbats, and from the videos I've watched, Speed Boosters are really cool, excellent cleaners. Therefore, my base is none other than...Wait a second.

[​IMG]

Fabulous.

Anyway, I run full physical because I don't really like mixed sets, its attack stat is the highest anyway, and I've been pleased with the results of full physical regardless. His name is Ganondorf because I couldn't think of anything else that made sense and went with the theme. :c

[​IMG][​IMG]

So I remembered on its analysis that Sharpedo tends to have this problem where it just barely misses the KO on its target and goes down because it dies to a burp. Thus, enter a fast, frail spiker/blocker in the form of Froslass. In addition to a super fast taunt and spike combo, I can also hit Azelf, Victini and Chandelure - among others - super effectively with Shadow Ball. While the neutral damage of Ice Beam is greater, and it hits threats like Zapdos without anything being immune to it, I already have three powerful ice attacks from other members of the team to deal with threats like Zapdos, as well as Gligar and Flygon. All users of the ice moves can either stomach a hit from any version of Flygon and retaliate with an OHKO, or outspeed/speed tie and OHKO it, making Flygon not a huge threat. Her name is Midna because I figured that they somewhat resembled each other - Ghost type and being always female is also cool.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But I didn't just pack spikes! Rocks are on most teams for a reason - they're so good they're thinking of suspecting them in OU. As such, I needed a rocker - preferably one with some bulk, as at this point all I had were sheets of paper. I picked this guy because he seems to [at least, on paper] have moves for lots of the top Pokemon - Zapdos and Raikou that don't have HP Grass are crapped upon, and Victini takes some great damage from earthquake as well, with more than 60% chance to OHKO all variants even sans SR [though I don't think a Victini would stay in on a 'pert unless it had Grass Knot, which always KO's, but... eh. overprediction?] I picked King Zora for this guy because... Well, he kinda looks like him, especially when not shiny, [BUT IT'S THE PURPLE TRIFORCE]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Well, looking at my team, I decided that I needed a scarfer/revenge killer, that much was obvious, as while my team is fast, I'd need something to take on pokes like Agility Porygon-z, which is a major threat when set up - and what better than one of the coolest and best pokes in the tier? Anyway, like I said, I chose the scarf set. Scarf U-turn + Regenerator is awesome for dealing some decent damage while scouting and recovering from any entry hazards that may be present on the field. The last move i picked aside from the three obligatory ones was Aerial Ace, as I don't have another flying type move to handle Heracross, who is a major threat in UU, and Virizion, who can be quite powerful. I call her Sheik because... Come on. Ninja-looking, lightning fast and elegant, not to mention powerful? How is this not Sheik?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Another problem that I'd read about Sharpedo is that bulky waters mess it up [though, honestly, it's a cleaner, not a sweeper, but I see where that'd be a problem, as it's hard to wear down a bulky water]

As such, I actually have two 'mons working in tandem with one-another, with each having defensive and offensive synergy with the other [or, at least, I think so.]

I went to Raikou because i didn't want Zapdos' SR weakness factoring in - though spike/toxic spike immunity is definitely tasty - and I actually picked the Specs set first, as I figured the method of just blasting waters away would work. However, I didn't want to be switching in and out all of the time, as that damage racking up is precisely why I didn't want to use Zapdos in the first place. Thus, I went with the Sub/CM set. Boosting sweepers are excellent anyway - he's my only one, and it's fantastic to watch boosting sweepers decimate teams when the opponent's checks are gone. This is Link because I felt it obligatory to have Link on the team - it makes sense because of Wolf Link, and that Raikou's markings resemble Twili runes.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think it's pretty self-explanatory what Shaymin does on an offensive team, and it functions similarly to Raikou, but lacks set-up while having more coverage. I chose HP Ice over Psychic because the coverage seems rather mediocre outside of hitting Roserade and Mienshao [the latter being weak as all hell defensively], who are still hit hard by the HP Ice. Rest heals up and removes status while I switch out, pretty much for free due to Natural Cure - which is always great. This one is Navi because it's a blue ball. Come on.

----> [ the team [​IMG]

Show Hide
    Changes will be denoted in blue because I'm a hipster like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ganondorf (Sharpedo) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Protect
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake

Nothing particularly surprising or new on this set at all - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's great and it works as an excellent cleaner when the opponent's walls and priority are finished. I've also used it to finish off any cheeky Pokemon who think that they can just start setting up Calm Minds all over my team. I haven't really felt the need to change anything - Aqua Jet would be nice, and I don't tend to use Earthquake because the coverage of the other two moves is generally enough, but it's useful for Raikou and such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Midna (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 4 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Destiny Bond/Pain Split

Here's my lightning-fast spiker and spinblocker. First two moves are obligatory, allowing her to set up hazards and prevent others from doing so. Shadow Ball, as I said, does give up some neutral power and hitting targets like Flygon, but I have many ice move users that are quite proficient, and hitting pokes like Chandelure and Azelf is cool. I've been using Destiny Bond and been able to net some good KOs, though I can definitely see Pain Split being useful. If people think it'd be a good idea, I'd be definitely willing to try it. The EVs are standard, with the exception of the Special Defence, as if/when the Porygons switch in on me because I can't touch them, they'll always get the Attack boost instead of having a chance of getting the Special Attack boost from Download, which is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

King Zora (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SDef / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch/Stone Edge

Here he is- Offensive Tank Swampert! I figured that I needed something sturdy, able to set up Stealth Rock, and yet not sacrificing all of the offensive pressure I may have built up. Don't be fooled, though - this guy still has some firepower, able to handle Raikou and Zapdos that lack HP Grass [and not all HP Grasses are OHKO's], while damaging them quite well. The coverage on this guy is great, with two awesome STABs that hit many threats hard, while still being able to take some hits. I'm pretty happy with the set, and it's served me well, but I'm always open to suggestions.

I've been considering swapping Ice Punch for Stone Edge considering the fact that I have two ice move users in the wings and possibly three if I change Froslass back, and all of the other users will target Gligar's weaker Special Defence, though it's true that Ice Punch OHKO's CB Flygon while surviving any hit, and though Froslass outspeeds banded and LO Flygon, she can't beat scarfed ones.

However...

Stone Edge always OHKO's offensive Zapdos after SR, and will 2HKO all variants after SR, something Ice Punch fails to accomplish. Physically Defensive Zapdos also fails to OHKO Swampert with HP Grass, even after SR. Togekiss is in the same boat but doesn't carry HP Grass, though it can flinch to death [but not with the aid paralysis due to the immunity swampert has, unless it uses Body Slam instead of T-Wave].

I can see Togekiss as a more likely switch-in because one may think that they can freely set up on Swampert - though each variant is a 4hko at least and a guaranteed 3hko at most, assuming no NP boosts. That said, it /is/ true that the ones carrying Roost can use it, so that would definitely present a problem, along with Stone Edge's rage-inducing accuracy [but there is that tasty crit rate...]

Still, I see really good benefits on both sides, so I'm not sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sheik (Mienshao) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - Aerial Ace

For Mienshao, I chose the Scarf set. Scarf U-turn + Regenerator is awesome for dealing some decent damage while scouting and recovering from any entry hazards that may be present on the field. The last move i picked aside from the three obligatory ones was Aerial Ace, as I don't have another flying type move to handle Heracross, a major threat, as I'm sure you know, as well as Virizion. However, I haven't felt the need to use the slot very often, and could be persuaded to change it if there's a better option - though I haven't felt the need for one, either. Most of the time I'm either U-turning out or spamming Hi Jump Kick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link (Raikou) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure/Volt Absorb [available?]
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]/Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute

I had HP grass at first because I lacked Shaymin and wanted to surprise any snarky Swamperts that thought they could screw with me. However, the coverage between the two moves is a little redundant [though ice and electric is, too, in a sense - for fliers], but when i'd read that Shaymin would be the perfect partner for raikou due to defensive synergy, I snapped it up, as well.

Anyway, standard set, no? Calm Minds in your face whilst behind a Substitute. Psyshock Slowbro and stuff beats that strategy, obviously, but why are you trying to set up on Slowbro when you know that lolol. The ones that resist the combo - Rotom-H, Magneton, and Lanturn - are all nicely dealt with by Swampert, though he must naturally watch out for the hp grass that Rotom and Lanturn sometimes carry - though, honestly, I don't really see Lanturn that often, and Rotom is often choiced.

I'm not sure of whether to pick Pressure or Volt Absorb, assuming the latter is released. Pressure is good with the Sub + Calm Mind for PP stalling, but Volt Absorb offers a cool chance to switch in and regain some health, and possibly use choiced foes for setup fodder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navi (Shaymin) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Seed Flare
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]/Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Rest

Ahh, Shaymin. You and your Seed Flare are truly excellent - though the PP of that move sucks. Another Poke to blast through any bulky waters, whilst attacking and resisting those ground-types that plague Raikou so. Seed Flare is excellent for forcing switches with the reduced Special Defence that so often comes, and the coverage on this set is great. However, I ran into an Escavalier earlier and found that I found it rather difficult to handle. As such, I'm thinking that Hidden Power Fire could be useful instead, but that lowers my Special Attack EV to 30, which sucks. Is it worth it?

----> [ threat list [​IMG]
    Show Hide

I'm not 100% sure of who my threats are, as I'm still new to UU and competitive battling in general, really [though I've played some standard and Ubers before,]

but I'd figure that Kingdra is a problem, especially Swift Swimmer variants.

[​IMG]

It takes a massive dump on my team while I have nothing that outspeeds it, to my knowledge. Shaymin takes 77-90% damage from its Draco Meteor, and everything else is worse. My best bet is likely to try to survive a hit with one of them and hit back [though Shaymin likely dies after it attacks due to Life Orb, and it could also Rest to leave Kingdra at -2 while being at full health and being able to escape without a status issue due to Natural Cure], or Sharpedo could protect stall to grab rain turns and get boosts [it outspeeds at +2, so it's a 50/50 gamble if I don't already have a boost], but it does 63-79% damage with Crunch, so entry hazards/prior damage is necessary.

[​IMG]

Flygon is also a problem for me if it's scarfed, as Raikou can no longer outspeed and KO [unless it's behind a sub], but Sharpedo can also try to get ballsy and go for the +2, when it will outspeed, though prior damage is, again, required for the KO.

[​IMG]

Snorlax as a whole... is an issue, as always, as my team is hardly to be called bulky [especially on the physical side - the fattest ones on the team are an offensive Shaymin and a Tank Swampert, but i do have Mienshao's Hi jump kick, which is always great and will OHKO any variant lacking a boost. Curse variants can, however, sponge boosted attacks from Raikou due to that massive Special Defence whilst being able to either curse up or just do some major damage.

[​IMG]

TR Cofagrigus seems to be a problem, too, as my team relies on its speed, though it takes massive damage from Sharpedo's Crunch [50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, which means I should be fine if I hit it on the switch, though doing so means I lose Speed Boost]

I also lack a spinner, which means that phasers or being forced to switch in general when hazards are up is not good, though Froslass is the only one on the team weak to rocks.

----> [ conclusion [​IMG]
    Show Hide
    Yeah, that's... the team. If you managed to soldier through this, you definitely deserve a medal. I definitely need to improve, especially considering this is the first team i've ever made ever, but I figure I'm not so bad that I'm using Ambipom and Dusclops, lol.

So... Suggestions, maybe? c:

----> [ importable [​IMG]
    Show Hide
    Midna (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 4 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Destiny Bond

Ganondorf (Sharpedo) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Protect
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake

Sheik (Mienshao) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - Aerial Ace

King Zora (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SDef / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Roar

Link (Raikou) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute

Navi (Shaymin) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Seed Flare
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Rest

AND REMEMBER
    NOBODY DOES WHAT NINTENDOES

2. PTJon7

PTJon7

Cool team, gotta love LoZ (and mono-color teams)

I think Roar over Ice Punch/Stone Edge on Swampert might be useful to your team, access to phazing is always nice to have on an offensive team like this one.

Froslass really needs a Sash to function, it is OHKOed so easily by so many things that its almost required. Destiny Bond should take Froslass' final move slot, as that alone is hugely threatening, making nothing safe from Froslass.
  3. Shiruba

Shiruba

i've noticed froslass' frailty, myself, and i agree with the sentiment, wholeheartedly. i'll update my team + the op asap. i was gonna mention that i never really live hits for lefties to be effective but i guess i just forgot.

i'll do some battles with roar on swampert because i do tend to use eq/waterfall on the enemy 'mons the most, though the coverage might be missed. i'll definitely look into it though.
  4. Shiruba

Shiruba

using my free bump. i tested roar on swampert and it worked well enough, especially with greedy setup sweepers and to interrupt switches, though ice punch could definitely have been used to smash roserade or something. i did replace ice punch with roar, though.

anyway, i mainly used rest on shaymin because i wanted reliable recovery in the face of kingdra, but being forced to switch out after is annoying. does synthesis have any merit, and if not, does eschewing life orb for leftovers on shaymin miss out on any important KOs?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)