Triple-C Core!

Introduction

Hello everyone! Back with my second RMT! (Here's the first if you missed out: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/queens-wrath.3487635/ ) Please don't mind the little mistakes and thank you for taking time to read/rate. This team's definitely not perfect, but it does it's job and all criticism is welcomed. Here's the team for a first look...

First look

Idea behind the team

This team is built on the core Cobalion, Cryogonal and Chandelure. (Hence the name) These three have phenomenal synergy together; the ground weakness by Chandelure and Cobalion is handled by Cryogonal's Levitate, the fighting and fire weakness from Cobalion and Cryogonal taken by Chandelure, water weakness absorbed by Cryogonal with that massive base 135 SpD, and the dark, ghost and rock tanked by Cobalion easily. It's a really good core to work around with, alongside with the other fairly defensive three. I absolutely love playing bulky offense/stall and I this is definitely one of my favorite teams. Have a great time rating ;)

Closer look

Cobalion @ Leftovers Salac Berry
-Justified
-
248 HP/28 Atk/232 Spe 252 SpD/252 Atk/4 HP
-Jolly
-Moves:

1. Stealth Rock Swords Dance
2. Sacred Sword Close Combat
3. Volt Switch Stone Edge
4. Thunder Wave Substitute

Cobalion has the Justified ability, which raises attack by one stage when hit by a dark move, which helps Chandelure and Cresselia immensely. Steel also grants a whole lot of resistances including immunity from Poison, meaning Toxic doesn't affect it, which is great especially for a defensive Pokemon. This Cobalion serves as a backup sweeper and wallbreaker, in case Heracross or Chandelure dies. Swords Dance and Close Combat will break walls for Chandelure to sweep, or he can Sub down to his Salac Berry and sweep on his own. This allows me to use Chandelure and Heracross more aggressively. His Ground, Fire, Fighting weakness is taken by Cobalion and Chandelure respectively. My go to lead most of the time to set off a quick Stealth Rock.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
-Levitate
-248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD
-Calm
-Moves:

1. Rapid Spin
2. Ice Beam
3. Reflect
4. Recover

It's role is that of a rapid spinner, taking no damage at all from Spikes/Toxic Spikes thanks to Levitate, also doubling as a special wall with a SpD stat higher than that of Umbreon's. Recover provides a means of reliable recovery and Ice Beam wears down Gligar, Roserade and Zapdos which is a huge help for the team. Reflect helps tremendously, judging from it's almost non-existent Defense, used when I predict a switch into a physical attacker. The EVs allow it to take less damage from Stealth Rock and the rest into SpD to allow it to function as a special wall. Swampert removes steel and fire types for Cryogonal easily, allowing for an easier time spinning. It also takes the team's ground weakness, commonly shared by Chandelure and Cobalion.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
-Flash Fire
-252 Spe/252 SpA/4 SpD
-Timid
-Moves:

1. Fire Blast
2. Shadow Ball
3. Energy Ball
4. Trick

This Chandelure set is all about speed. It outspeeds Adamant Choice Scarf Heracross, max speed Jolly Crobat, Lilligant after a boost and Krookodile, picking it off with the appropriate move. Fire Blast for STAB and hitting hard on anything that doesn't resist, only downside is the accuracy :/ Shadow Ball is the other STAB of choice and hits what Fire Blast cannot. Energy Ball kills off Rhyperior and water types hoping to tank a Fire Blast, and Trick to cripple walls. Nothing unusual, classic Choice Scarf set, the 4 SpD EVs to give Download Pokemon an attack boost. It safely takes the fighting weakness shared by Cobalion and Cryogonal.

Swampert @ Leftovers
-Torrent
-
240 HP/252 Atk/16 Def 252 Atk/236 HP/8 SpD/12 Def
-Adamant
-Moves:

1. Waterfall
2. Earthquake
3. Ice Punch Stealth Rock
4. Roar

Offensive Tank Swampert retains it's bulk without having forgo it's offensive capabilities. Earthquake is my go-to STAB most of the time, capable of killing offensive Roserade in one hit. Waterfall provides decent coverage with Earthquake and it's STAB so why not? Ice Punch destroys Flygon, Gligar and Zapdos, definitely a useful move, scoring 2HKOs on Togekiss. Stealth Rock supports the team and clips the wings of those who try to exploit Heracross' 4x weakness to flying and I've got counters to Shaymin and Flygon anyway. Back in my mind I knew I had to have a counter to Baton Pass teams and set-up sweepers. Roar was the answer, also discouraging opposing Pokemon from setting up in Swampert's face. Great offensive tank in my opinion.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
-Levitate
-
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def 244 HP/252 SpD/12 SpA
-Calm
-Moves:

1. Moonlight
2. Psychic Psyshock
3. Ice Beam
4. Toxic Thunder Wave

At the point of time when I made this team, Cresselia was like, I didn't see it's shadow anywhere in UU. It's such a great defensive Pokemon and UU isn't like OU, it's not the weather channel, Moonlight is pretty reliable then, so I thought, why not?! Gargantuan bulk allows it to take on the myriad of Fighting and Ground types, at the same time sponging Special attacks with such ease. Psychic for some STAB to remove pesky fighting types Psyshock with 12 SpA EVs break the substitutes of CM Raikou, especially when Swampert was weakened or dead. Ice Beam eliminates Flygon and Shaymin. Thunder Wave cripples common Cresselia switch-ins that normally shut Heracross down (Victini, Chandelure, weavile, Sharpedo). 12 SpA EVs help Psyshock destroy CM Raikou's substitutes. This set, although specially oriented, still takes physical attacks with that gargantuan base 120 Def.

Heracross @ Leftovers
-Guts
-252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
-Jolly
-Moves:

1. Close Combat
2. Megahorn
3. Stone Edge
4. Swords Dance

I really liked the idea of a Pokemon unlike the others, not hindered by status, still hitting like a truck despite the burn. That's really cool, and hence the Guts Heracross set. Swords Dance boosts it's already monstrous attack and make it godly. Nothing can withstand Megahorn and Close Combat at +2, including STAB. Stone Edge gets rid of Flying types, really useful when I predict a switch in. Jolly gets the jump on Timid Togekiss and Timid Chandelure, but still allows it to power through walls and teams . Leftovers gives it longevity when facing defensive teams. The paralysis support from Cobalion help overcome his speed problem and the Stealth Rock support OHKOs physically defensive Milotic and Arcanine at +2. Needs a lot of support to function at full force.

Conclusion

Well that's it. I hope you enjoyed it and thank you so much for taking time to read and rate. As again, any criticism is welcomed and have a wonderful day ahead! :)

Changes
1. Cresselia's Toxic > T-Wave
2. Cresselia's Psychic > Psyshock
3. Cresselia's EVs : 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def > 244 HP/252 SpD/12 SpA
4. Swampert's Ice Punch > Stealth Rock
5. Swampert's EVs : 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Def > 252 Atk/236 HP/8 SpD/12 Def

6. Cobalion : Utility set > Sub+Salac set

Courtesy of Psychotic , thanks!

Last edited:

Psychotic

Banned deucer.

First of all, if you are running Swampert, you need to use it as your Stealth Rock setter if you don't want to be wasting a teamslot. The only thing Swampert can really do outside of that is tanking a few hits, firing off a few weak attacks and phazing once or twice. It is consistent at its job of setting Stealth Rock, but outside of that it is a pretty mediocre pokemon. You should replace Ice Punch with Stealth Rock because of this, the rest of your team can handle Shaymin and Flygon reasonably well. This change really helps your team, because it allows you to switch up your Cobalion set to one that is much more offensively threatening.

Using SR on Swampert allows you to switch up your Cobalion set, which you should think about changing to a Sub+Salac Berry Variant. Currently, your only win condition is Scarf Chandelure. Even on a bulky offense team, this is a bad idea, because if your Chandelure isn't able to sweep you will almost always lose. You need a backup sweeper and wallbreaker, in case Hera or Chandy dies, and that's what this set gives you. Swords Dance and spam Close Combat when you need to break down walls for Chandelure to sweep, or Sub down to your Salac Berry to sweep on your own. This set allows you to use Heracross and Chandelure more agressively, putting more pressure on the opponent.

Lastly, you should be running Thunder Wave over Toxic on Cresselia, and Psyshock over Psychic. Being able to spread Paralysis helps Heracross a TON, paralyzing common Cresselia switch-ins like Victini, Chandelure, Weavile, and Sharpedo that would normally shut Heracross down. Twave support helps your team a lot more than Toxic support, since you have two thing capable of destroying stall and bulky offense but only one mon (Chandelure) that threatens offensive teams. Psyshock+12 SpA Evs allows you to break the subs of CM Raikou, which would be very very hard to deal with if Swampert is dead or weakened.

Suggested Changes:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 HP / 8 Spd / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SDef / 12 SpA
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

First of all, if you are running Swampert, you need to use it as your Stealth Rock setter if you don't want to be wasting a teamslot. The only thing Swampert can really do outside of that is tanking a few hits, firing off a few weak attacks and phazing once or twice. It is consistent at its job of setting Stealth Rock, but outside of that it is a pretty mediocre pokemon. You should replace Ice Punch with Stealth Rock because of this, the rest of your team can handle Shaymin and Flygon reasonably well. This change really helps your team, because it allows you to switch up your Cobalion set to one that is much more offensively threatening.

Using SR on Swampert allows you to switch up your Cobalion set, which you should think about changing to a Sub+Salac Berry Variant. Currently, your only win condition is Scarf Chandelure. Even on a bulky offense team, this is a bad idea, because if your Chandelure isn't able to sweep you will almost always lose. You need a backup sweeper and wallbreaker, in case Hera or Chandy dies, and that's what this set gives you. Swords Dance and spam Close Combat when you need to break down walls for Chandelure to sweep, or Sub down to your Salac Berry to sweep on your own. This set allows you to use Heracross and Chandelure more agressively, putting more pressure on the opponent.

Lastly, you should be running Thunder Wave over Toxic on Cresselia, and Psyshock over Psychic. Being able to spread Paralysis helps Heracross a TON, paralyzing common Cresselia switch-ins like Victini, Chandelure, Weavile, and Sharpedo that would normally shut Heracross down. Twave support helps your team a lot more than Toxic support, since you have two thing capable of destroying stall and bulky offense but only one mon (Chandelure) that threatens offensive teams. Psyshock+12 SpA Evs allows you to break the subs of CM Raikou, which would be very very hard to deal with if Swampert is dead or weakened.

Suggested Changes:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 HP / 8 Spd / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SDef / 12 SpA
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
Thanks so much, this really helped a lot, just tried it on PS! Much appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)