Triple Stall, Triple Choiced in rain

I've always been able to utilize rain more effectively than other weathers (OU and Ubers), although I'm not sure why. It could be Swift Swim in Ubers, and the large number of abusers in OU, but that's beside the point. And with that, I introduce to you my team.

To summon rain, you need a toad.

I need a pokemon to set up entry hazards and one to spin them away. I disliked Forretress, so my choices were Ferrothorn (which I always spelt as 'Ferrothron') and Tentacruel (which works a lot better than Forretress in rain).

Now I needed Mamoswine to shout "Screw you!" at the genies and dragons.

I also wanted another strong priority user, and at first I went with Breloom. But it wasn't working out too well, and neither was Scizor. I then realised that Azumarill, like Scizor and Breloom, gets double-stab with priority (Technician/rain). Therefore, it was chosen.

Finally, I needed a pokemon that could abuse the perfect accuracy of Thunder and/or Hurricane. Dragonite's special attack is non-existant, Tornadus just increases my number of electric-weak pokemon to 4, but Thundurus-T is just perfect. Plus it means I have two pokemon immune to electric.

And now, introducing my team.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

With the EV spread of Chansey in OU, Politoed maximises physical bulk. Scald is for the high chance of burning the opponent, Toxic is for when Scald just isn't that good an idea. Perish Song screws over Pokemon that set up, most notably DD Gyara leads. And Protect is for scouting moves and stalling for one more turn of Leftovers recovery.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Before you shout "Use an EV spread of 252/88/168", let me explain. My focus is Leech Seed, and therefore my HP depends more on the opponent than on me. Therefore, I do not need to invest in HP. Since I'm not running any attacks, a Bold Nature reduces damage from confusion (yes, Hurricane exists). Ferrothorn then proceeds to set up entry hazards. In Ferro vs. Ferro wars, I usually win unless they carry T-wave or have a Magnezone, because most of them lack a spinner, while Tentacruel can come in and spin everything away.

@ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Protect

Once again, I understand the argument about Black Sludge against Leftovers. I just like Black Sludge, so don't ask me to change it. The thing is, if they trick it from me, they will take at least one turn of damage, and the only thing that they can trick it back to with a negative effect to me is Thundurus-T, Ferrothorn and Politoed, since the other two pokemon are Banded or Tentacruel. And most of the time Politoed is useless crap anyway. Rapid Spin is the main reason I'm using it, along with T-Spikes. Scald is once again there for the burn rate. Protect is for scouting and stalling for an additional 1/8 of my HP restored.

@ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

The first of the Choiced Pokemon. Mamoswine was supposed to be anti-meta, with the release of the genies and Techniloom expected to rise in usage, only to become the metagame itself. I had to run a Jolly Nature when I discovered that some Brelooms run Jolly, and I still OHKO Breloom anyway (with Ice Shard), despite the reduction in power. Icicle Crash is better than Icicle Spear due to higher base power on average (taking into account misses) and a handy flinch rate (not accounted for). Earthquake is its other STAB attack, while Stone Edge provides near perfect coverage.

@ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Return

In the rain, Azumarill becomes the strongest priority user to ever exist. Heck, it even beats Arceus, since Arceus will use ESpeed, so Azumarill can stick to Waterfall. Except that Arceus is bulkier, but I won't be battling Arceus anyway. Anyway, a 90 BP +1 priority coming off a 654 Attack stat is going to seriously dent anything that doesn't resist it. Between Waterfall and Superpower, the things I don't hit are hit harder by Return than Ice Punch most of the time. The biggest problem is Jellicent, who is immune to everything but Ice Punch (unless you use Cursed Body, which isn't that bad, tbh), which 48HKOs Jellicent. Ice Punch only has 24 PP, btw. Azumarill was my idea, I didn't copy the others, but I noticed its usage has increased.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- HP Ice

I gave it a Modest Nature because it's already fast as hell with a Scarf, unless I'm facing opposing Scarfed pokemon, since I want it to hit as hard as possible. Volt Switch is for scouting switches, while STAB Thunder from a Special Attack stat of 427 hits hard, especially against Jellicent, who gives problems to many of my team members. HP Ice completes BoltBeam coverage, though not as well as Starmie, and Focus Blast is just there to hit Magnezone or something, since it's a free slot.

I'm considering T-wave over Protect on Ferrothorn, to catch Magnezone on the switch. I'm also considering giving it a Rocky Helmet, but this isn't that important. Rocky Helmet just punishes stupid things that abuse Outrage, since in 3 turns, they'll take enough damage for my Leech Seed to kill in two turns. (7/8+1/8=1) Besides that, I can't think of anything else atm.

Sayonara

don't forget
hey, cool team. on thundurus, i'd give it a timid nature - this allows it to always outspeed scarf salamence and hydreigon, in addition to forcing a speedtie with scarf landorus. on azumarill, i'd consider using ice punch over return, allowing you to check dragons like dragonite, who resist waterfall, aqua jet and superpower, and would most likely use azumarill as a set-up fodder. a last change i would recommend is encore over perish song on politoed. this allows you to force a switch on opponents who try to set up on politoed, giving you a free turn to do something useful. i don't have much else to add - cool team, and good luck!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi! You've got a nice team, I've got a nice set of suggestions for you. First off, I strongly recommend that you give Ferrothorn a Rocky Helmet instead of leftovers. Also, keep protect, it eases your Stalling capabilities and allows you to Leech Seed stall. Next, I would Recommend that you replaced Mamoswine with Sableye- having two banded priority attackers is really redundant. Sableye helps spinblock your hazards, so the precious work of Ferrothorn and Tentacruel are not wasted. Sableye also has Taunt so Dragons can't set up on you. Wil o wisp cripples physical attackers, so Ferrothorn has an even easier time walling them.

Sableye @ Leftovers
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
~Taunt
~Recover
~WiloWisp
~Confuse Ray / Foul Play / Night Shade

This is my reply to you all:

@Guy 1, I'll use a Starmie (actually I've been considering it, since Jellicent blocks Rapid Spin), but with Leftovers, Surf and Thunder > Life Orb, Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt. Also, I actually do miss out on some important OHKOs and 2HKOs, most notably TechniLoom. I can't really counter Techniloom well, apart from Mamoswine's Ice Shard, which will never OHKO with LO, while TechniLoom OHKOs back with a +2 Mach Punch/Bullet Seed. And Jolly TechniLoom's getting popular. I'll try Superpower, but like Azumarill, I commonly use purely STAB moves on Mamoswine. (EQ/Icicle Crash/Ice Shard)

@Guy 2, I'll use a Timid nature, but actually the Ice Punch and Return, I never actually use them. Aqua Jet is already OP. Also, Perish Song will force a switch anyway.

@Guy 3, I never care about spinblocking. I just switch in Ferrothorn and punish them for spinblock. Sableye is good, yes, but more so in Ubers than OU, as Ubers has all the idiots spamming Psystrike/Aura Sphere and Psycho Boost/ESpeed/Superpower (Mewtwo/Deoxys).

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Thundurus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Return
- Superpower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)