Trying to make a VGC 17 team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, i've been lurking around here for a long time without posting and this year I want to go deep in the VGC 17.
I've been failing to see synergies and picking the right mons for my team, and I'm having some trouble deciding what to pick to fullfill the last 2 spots of the team, so I'm really willing to have some suggestions. Either way, this is what it looks like at the moment.
The goal here is too make a Trick Room team, but without limiting it to that goal as it is too obvious, but I'm failing at that.
*Note: everything is suspect to change.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Standard Trick Room setter, with the EV spread focusing on surviving Alolan Marowak and the Tapu's. Tri Attack for hitting hard and the nice chance of inflicting status, and Shadow Ball for hitting Marowak, as my team seems to lack any form of sure killing for it, except for...

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

This guy is the most effective at killing himself under Trick Room(if the other marowak isn't prepared for TR at least). Godd stab moves with Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone, with Bonemerang for coverage. Useful for checking Xurktree and Tapu Koko as well for killing most things that doesn't resist him.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 228 HP / 38 Atk / 244 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Brick Break
- Shadow Sneak

LSD is here for being a Tapu Killer, and a fairy killer in general. Assault vest allows him to work as a special tank, with high damage and utility with his 2 STAB options, priority wtih Shadow Sneak and coverage with Brick Break. The EV spread is heavily invested into Def to be able to withstand 252+Atk Thick Club Marowak, while being abel to 2hko him back with Knock Off, as long as we are under trick room and he isn't bred for that regard as he woudl be faster for jsut a tiny margin (45 speed Marowak vs 49 Speed Muk).

Now I'm lacking some special attack coverage,and this team could use some Intimidate support, and so the decision was made.

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump

SpecsMence, dropping the Intimidate in the face of their team and dishin serious damage. Also granting some safe switch agaisnt predicted ground moves, he is abel to take down most Pokemons. He is here to grant support and power outside of trick room, in case it isn't able to be used or it gets cancelled.

At this point I think I have good enough physical damage, decent special damage, good special bulk, so it's time to cover it with some physical bulk from the next one.

Slowbro @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Trick Room

Slowbro si here to tank some physical hits, as well as being a secondary TR setter if needed be. He is also another source of special attacks and an hit hard with Ice Beam as coverage, while having Scald as main Stab and utility move.

Everything above here is suspect to change and I'm nto sure about what to pick for the last slot to fill out the weaknesses of the team, and I was thinking about this.

Krookodile @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Protect

Meant to work outside Trick Room and giving coverage against Electric, Ghost and beign a switch against rock type attacks, with Darkinium being used both as a powerful Z-Move from crunch or as a Taunt that also boosts his attack.Also he can give some more Intimidate support which is always nice.

So as I said, I'm not sure about this team after testing it and I could use some help on EV spreads/replacements or whatever.
Thanks!

EDIT: One thing I have noticed is the lack of somethign to kill water pokemon(things like wishiwashi or pelipper), any suggestions of what could I replace here to be able to cover that? because I'm run out of ieas that fit in this team.

Last edited:
finding some why to have an electric type attack on your team might help with the issue dealing with water types (probably give pory2 tbolt) but most pelipper teams have alolan marowak for electric redirection so you might want a rock type move to kill pelipper.

finding some why to have an electric type attack on your team might help with the issue dealing with water types (probably give pory2 tbolt) but most pelipper teams have alolan marowak for electric redirection so you might want a rock type move to kill pelipper.
TY for answering! I want Krookodile out of the team badly, but i can't find a decent rock type user without being weak to water or ground itself, and that is something I want to avoid adding. I was thinking about Tapu Bulu in that spot, middle speed tier to work with and without trick room, can learn rock moves for coverage and can weaken earthquakes.The problem is that he is also weak to Pelipper's hurricane, so I'm not sure about him. Could you suggest any pick to fill that spot? thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)