1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Turn Up The Heat

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Veofiend, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Veofiend

Veofiend

Welcome to my Sunny Day Team

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Before the Team Assembled..

I've loved Pokemon battling for a long time. Strategy games are my type of games along with fighting and violence games :) and Pokemon fits into the category perfectly. I've worked with plenty of teams in the past though I've rarely had success with them because I was rather inexperienced back then. Also, rain dance teams were everywhere and I just get attacked and destroyed all the time.

Then generation 5 came out and I was like wow I just can't keep up with all these new strategies. So I thought of my own team. I couldn't think of a proper core...until I met Volcarona. I figured in the right hands, this thing could be an absolute monster, so I went with it. Then it hit me.. Why not try a weather team?

[​IMG] Politoed and its rain had to be one of the most dangerous elements in the OU game, but...I thought it was way too overused. Rain teams are everywhere and I just wasn't interested in doing a rain team.

[​IMG] Tyranitar and its sandstorm can make some pretty brutal sandstorm teams. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]are awesome, but I just wasn't having much success in making a proper team based around it.

[​IMG] Umm........ I'm not an Abomasnow fan and Hail isn't used that much anyway because in my opinion, they're just not as many benefits to using Hail teams especially when Hail supports Ice types, one of the most if not the most crippling defensive type in the game.

[​IMG] .....Then I came upon Ninetails, who now receives the ability Drought in Pokemon Black and White enabling the formation of lethal Sunny Day teams. Ninetails, before it learned Drought, was...decent but entirely outclassed by other offensive fire types and defensive fire types are almost non existent except for [​IMG]. Ninetails served to be the perfect partner for Volcarona as with infinite sun, Volcarona would be ruthless and so I began making a Pokemon team.

Building a Drought Team

[​IMG][​IMG] Obviously, Volcarona would be the core of my team, but I had to give Volcarona the proper support before I set up the epic sweep. The main thing I wanted to give Volcarona first was Drought and Ninetails was the perfect...and only candidate in OU with the Drought ability.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] The next thing I definitely wanted was a rapid spinner because all entry hazards severely hurt Volcarona specifically Spikes and....Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock cripples Volcarona like throwing knives cripples a walking man made of paper. It wasn't going to work so I chose Donphan for my rapid spinner. Donphan's physical bulk along with its nice 120 base attack stat made me believe Donphan would be the perfect partner...then it hit me. I had a bad water weakness so far but I didn't let it stop me so on with the team building I thought.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I wanted something that could handle fighting types and put a real damage on anything. After alot of consideration, I chose Latios because it would do some serious damage and still have the special bulk to take a hit or two.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Donphan, despite being a good pokemon, just wasn't cutting it with me. That water weakness was really getting to me and I didn't like more than two weaknesses to one type because pokemon like Politoed, Kingdra, and Tentacruel could bulldoze half the team and I didn't want that. I lost my stealth rocker but I decided to go with Starmie with rapid spin to get rid of the entry hazards and still be able to do decent damage.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I thought hard of a stealth rock user. Since I already had a two water weaknesses, Donphan and Mamoswine were out and Azelf was out because of the ghost and dark weakness. Pursuit would hurt real bad... So it was either Forretress and Ferrothorn and I decided on Ferrothorn. The fighting type weakness was of little concern since Latios, Starmie, and Volcarona with flame body would handle fighting types and everything else on my team, except Volcarona, resisted fire types.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lucario or Terrakion?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Both had the things I wanted. Rock resistance, physical attacks, good number of resistances, and enough potential to eliminate a team by itself. I thought long and hard but if you look above, you would see that I chose Lucario for several reasons. 1) Added resistances 2) Stronger Priority...Like I said, it was hard and so we have the team.

The Team

[​IMG]@Leftovers
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Fiery Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Quiver Dance
    - Roost

Volcarona serves as the primary sweeper of my team and this EV spread takes a rather bulky turn on him as opposed to the usual all EVs go into special attack and speed. With this, Volcarona has enough physical bulk to serve most physical hits, aside from rock type moves, and get a few quiver dances up. Once this moth has quiver dances under its belt, little can stop it unless your a metallic, walking, molten monster. (Cough, [​IMG],cough)

[​IMG]@Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 SDef / 108 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Roar
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Toxic

Ninetails is the weather starter for my team and without Drought, Ninetails is just outclassed by so many fire types. Roar makes sure nothing sets up on me and gets rid of annoying substitutes. Flamethrower is for STAB, Hidden Power Fighting is for steel types, mostly Heatran, and Toxic is to wear down opposing pokemon.

[​IMG]@Life Orb
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Ice Punch/Bullet Punch

Lucario serves as my only physical sweeper on my team and it does a pretty good job at it. I debate on whether or not I should use Ice Punch or Bullet Punch because Ice Punch is just there to hit Gliscor and Landorus on the switch while Bullet Punch catches Weavile, Gengar, and Tyranitar-scarfed off guard. Either way, Lucario does it job and its resistances and priority move comes in handy to pick off weakened pokemon such as Latios, Infernape, and Azelf.

[​IMG]@Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Roost
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Here we go, the big punisher of my team. Draco Meteor destroys anything that doesn't resist it bar specially defensive Pokemon or steel types. Hidden Power Fire gets rid of opposing steel types and is boosted by the sun to deliver some heavy damage. Psyshock allows me to deal with Chansey and Blissey. Roost might look kind of weird on Latios with Life Orb but it allows Latios to recover HP especially on Pokemon that can't do much to it while Latios continues to wreck havoc.

[​IMG]@Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 118 Def / 138 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip

Ferrothorn serves as my Stealth Rocker and paralysis user. Paralysis aids my team alot especially Volcarona and Lucario. Leech seed serves as a way to recover HP and from my last several battles, it helps alot against the blob sisters [​IMG][​IMG]. Power Whip has surprising damage and the EVs give Ferrothorn considerable bulk on both sides and I couldn't care less about Ferrothorn's speed because it's slower than Neptune's revolution around the Sun (Pluto's apparently not a planet anymore -_-).

[​IMG]@Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 32 HP / 228 SAtk / 248 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock
    - Ice Beam

The last member of my team, Starmie serves as the rapid spinner and dragon check. Starmie's pretty self explanatory to be honest. Psyshock gets stab and deals with Terrakion. Hidden Power Fire deals with Steel types and is effective against Scizor and opposing Ferrothorn. Ice beam for dragons.

And there you have it.. My Sunny Day Team. Now I would like to list the threats I have encountered that just ruin my day.

Ze Threats That Ravage Ze Team

[​IMG]
    Chandelure proved to be the biggest menace to my team. I have little to deal with it except for revenge killing it and slowly wearing it down with Stealth Rock. I wouldn't guess it could do this much damage to me but wow...just wow. It just takes advantage of my Sun and fires super Overheats all over the place. Priority has no effect, My heavy hitters are hurt my Shadow Ball, Ferrothorn gets raped, Ninetails can't do much, and Volcarona pretty much serves as my only chance to best this thing and that's only if I get several Quiver Dances up. Unless it's taken damage beforehand, Chandelure is to me...as is stabbing a citizen with the Blades of Athena (God of War people would be laughing right now).

[​IMG] It comes in, it destroys, it leaves. Rinse and Repeat until everyone is dead. This thing always has Scarf (at least the ones I encountered) and Latios and Starmie are the only ones that can reliable hurt this thing and each are severely damaged by U-turn. Thankfully, Stealth Rock can cripple this thing but I bet any smart Darmanitan user has a way of getting rocks off the field so this little fire demon can wreck havoc.

[​IMG]I have little to hit Heatran, but most Heatran I see are specially defensive so thankfully the ones I encountered didn't do much to me. Lucario can handle the defensive ones, but Choice-Scafed ones are a nightmare not to mention the fact it takes advantage of the sun...

Ironically the most menacing pokemon have been fire types so far.... :(

[​IMG]In the ever competing dominance for weather advantage, Politoed has been a threat from day one though not as much as the above ones. Rain cripples half my team and Starmie and Latios don't like taking boosted Hydro Pumps and Scalds for long.

[​IMG]My favorite dragon has turned into a major problem. Without Starmie and if Latios misses with Draco Meteor, I don't have too much that can handle Dragonite except for Lucario's Extremespeed.

[​IMG][​IMG]You'd think with my team being so specially built that these two would just sit down and destroy me? Well thanks to Psyshock and Leech Seed, I can keep these two under control and even Volcarona can stall them out if they don't have Toxic though most do.

[​IMG]I don't have a single electric or rock attack on my team, so Gyarados has given me some trouble in the past. Ninetails can survive a water attack at full health with Drought on the field and retaliate with Toxic or Roar.

Closing Remarks

I hoped you enjoyed this BIG summary of my team and the amount of time and emphasis I put into this (I was watching Family Guy so I didn't get bored as easily). If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them though this is one of the hardest teams I've ever built that has good synergy with each other and doesn't leave my team with super weaknesses. I appreciate any and all remarks so comment away!

2. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Man...man...
    Another one that is not considering Tornadus-T as a threat, he is the #1 threat in the whole metagame, and if you think a little, he sweeps you.

1.- Ninetales is 2HKO'ed by hurricane.
    2.- Volcarona is OHKO'ed by hurricane.
    3.- Lucario is OHKO'ed by burricane or heat wave or superpower.
    4.- Latios is easily 2HKO'ed by hurricane if you are lucky.
    5.- Ferrothorn is OHKO'ed by heat wave considering that you are in sun.
    6.- Starmie can't outspeed now Tornadus because he is 125 base spe, so he crushes you.

Now, every team has to be made with counters to Tornadus-T, such as Sub cm Jirachi.
  3. Sayonara

Sayonara don't forget

Hey,

Nice team, Veofiend. I'd go with Morning Sun over Roost on Volcarona, as it gains 66% of its health back instead of 50%. I find that Volcarona is a big threat to your team. With a few boosts, it can kill Volcarona, Lucario and Ferrothorn with Fire Blast, while taking out Starmie and Latios with Bug Buzz. Hidden Power Ground is used to take out Ninetales. To help patch this weakness, I'd recommend a Choice Scarf Terrakion over Lucario. Scarf Terrakion is an amazing asset for Sun teams, being able to outspeed Scarf Darmanitan, Tornadus-T, Modest Venusaur, Chandelure, and +1 Volcarona and kill them with a STAB Stone Edge, eliminating those threats. Terrakion's Bug, Fire, Dark and Rock resistance is very appealing for your team. Close Combat is its main STAB, letting you deal with Heatran with ease. X-Scissor lets you get past Psychic mons who resist Close Combat, namely Reuniclus. In the last slot, we have Earthquake, who hits Jirachi and Toxicroak hard. A last change I would recommend is Spikes over Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn. Your team is quite fast as it is, so paralysis support isn't needed. Spikes is incredible at putting pressure on the opponent and turns several 2HKOs in OHKOs. I don't have much else to add - cool team, and good luck!

Choice Scarf Terrakion (open)

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
    Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ X-Scissor
    ~ Earthquake
  4. Veofiend

Veofiend

I didn't put too much thought into Tornadus-T and I always wondered if I put Terrakion on my team, would I have more problems Water types considering the Three times weakness I have to water types.
  5. Zentrius

Zentrius

You should consider Heatran, it basically walls all over Chandelure all over the place and with great prediction, it can destroy both opposing Heatran and Darmanitan.

I don't think Ferrothorn could do all that much in a sunny team, so you could change Ferrothorn with a Sp. Def Heatran.

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rocks
    - Lava Plume
    - Toxic
    - Earth Power / Protect

This heatran also gives you a nice mon to tank Tornadus-T, although I don't know how much he takes from a Life Orb Superpower.
  6. Veofiend

Veofiend

Hmm...I'll try Heatran out but I have a question for anybody out there. Wouldn't Hydro Pump, Surf, and water types demolish my team?
  7. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Not really, sun helps you a lot; also 110 base sp def on latios, resistance with 116 base sp def on ferro and not bad resistance in starmie.
  8. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

The "running a Pokemon that counters the counter to my team" has always been a good strategy. That's why you put Ferro in I assume, as a check to rain. Now, trading one mon for another on a team will rarely be a one sided gain or loss. Most likely, you will be able to check threats that you could not check before, while faltering to new threats you used to have in the bag. As it has been set up, a Heatran would be a more reliable counter to Volcarona and Tornadus (assuming Focus miss misses once). However, sometimes the threats you have adapted to check will adapt once more to break past you. (The only Volcarona I run is a physically defensive bold Hp Ground Volcarona speed Ev'd to outspeed terrakion at +2, works wonders as it runs past many of its would be counters.) As a teambuilder, it is always your decision what threats you would like to cover, while letting others by.

On a different note from the prose, I recommend Sunny Day over Flamethrower on Ninetales. Without going into too much explanation, negating the switch of a ttar, poli, hippo, or aboma, is a priceless momentum bringer.
  9. Doom Dawg

Doom Dawg

I disagree with what Expert Physics said about Morning Sun over Roost. This is because in a Rain dominated meta and where Sand is even more popular than Sun you would go better with Roost. Giga Drain is an amazing move, which I believe every Volcarona should have.

In the Sun water does neutral damage to the Fire pokes and becomes less of a problem. SubCM Jirachi is nice to counter Tornadus, but at Sun Hurricane is 50% of accuracy and is just awesome to control Hax. I play with Sun teams often and this is a great strategy, you might want to add a Chlorophyll user to your team, as well as more Sun abusers. Ferrothorn just does not cut it out as it is usually owned easily and cannot even protect itself against more powerful Dragons with Fire Moves, specially under the sun. Therefore a suggest you use Heatran. It can still lay hazards and it can wall Dragons in the sun for ages. This solves your problem against opposing Heatran. Use the following set:

Show Hide
    Heatran @ Air Baloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252SpA / 4SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Earth Power

Yes this is a beast under sun, Air Baloon is to give you the edge over opposing Heatran. Timid Nature is preferred to tie with opposing Heatran... Hidden Power Ice deals with Dragon types fantastically, at least the x4 times weak to it. Earth Power is only for opposing Heatran and Magnezone, the former walls the set otherwise.

You drastically need a Chlorophyll abuser, imagine that sun is a blessed weather. We are allowed to use a speed boosting ability while Rain cannot.

Sawsbuck is just really efficient and it could easily substitute Lucario. Under sun it is a beast.

Sawsbuck:
    Show Hide
    Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 112HP / 248Atk / 148Spe
    Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Swords Dance
    - Horn Leech
    - Return
    - Nature Power

Swords Dance sky-rockets your attack. The speed boost under sun is enough to outspeed a large portion of the Metagame so no worries, unless there are nasty Mach Punch or Vacuum Wave users lurking around. Horn Leech will provide you recovery and is a way to prevent Life Orb recoil from killing you. Return is for neutral coverage and it carries STAB so why not use it? Nature Power acts as an 100 Power Ground Move (aka Earthquake) and it will hit the ever so hated Chandelure.

Summary:
    Try Heatran over Ferrothorn
    Try Sawsbuck over Lucario.
  10. shofly12

shofly12

I personally would use Bullet Punch over Ice Punch since it can help pick off Terrakions which would otherwise run through most of your team (or deal heavy damage in the process since only latios and starmie can revenge, and Terrakion can just switch out).

I would also suggest reattempting to use Donphan, but with an offensive spread, as it handles lots of threats quite easily, gets priority Ice Shard, and can still spin. I realize that the additional water weakness sucks, but its physical bulk is still preserved even on offensive sets and it can take a hit or two. (guaranteed two hits because of Sturdy).

Also, I would definitely try to find some way of dispatching of Heatran considering that it walls Volcarona, which is your main sweeper. An offensive Donphan could catch a Heatran on the switch with an EQ, but air balloon variants are still a problem. To this end, I might recommend replacing Ferrothorn with something else, like Landorus or something that can hit Heatran hard and still set up SR.

Hope this helped!
  11. Glory Blaze

Glory Blaze

Hey! Like how you have chosen sun over rain and sand, I personally like it better, so I'm already giving you a thumbs up. If you want to counter the first 3 pokemon in your threat list, I recommend Reversal Dugtrio so you can trap them, and kill. It also doubles as a trapper for politoad, if its HP is low enough, you can use EQ /200BP Reversal to kill it, though it won't OHKO or 2HKO, so use it wisely.

Another thing that could be useful is to change ninetales set. Everyone knows the opponent will send in Ttar or Politoad when they see ninetales come out, so Try Will-o-wisp, with Substitute and Protect to cripple them, and stall them to death with substitute and protect (scarfedtoad and scarfedtar will wreck it though). It works, as people try to kill, while forgetting that they are dying of burn.

Other than the changes listed above, or the ones posted before, I can't find any flaws in this team.
    Good Luck and have fun with your team :D Hope I helped

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)