ORAS UU Turning goo into doom

Turning goo into doom

My first ORAS UU team built around my Fire/Water/Grass core. This team also has several U-turn users to keep momentum. I had a lot of fun using this team and wanted to get some feedback to maybe improve the team or simply get a few suggestions on its playstyle. Yes the title is a pun on Goodra, U-Turn and Mega Houndoom. Let's cut this introduction short and get to the team!

The Team

Isaac (Whimsicott) (M) @

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 236 HP / 144 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

First member of my Fire/Water/Grass core Whimsicott is a fast annoying threat for my opponents. He pairs amazingly with Empoleon resisting his weakness to Electric, Ground and Fighting. I went with Leftovers to help keep him on the field longer combined with Giga Drain. EV spread by YABO to hit maximum Leftovers recovery while having enough speed to outpace Salamence.
- Giga Drain STAB to for hitting bulky water and ground types. Also used to recover health combined with Leftovers.
- Moonblast Second STAB to hit Pokemon like Hydreigon, Salamence and various Fighting types.
- U-Turn Used to keep momentum and form a VoltTurn core with Mienshao and Crobat.
- Encore Trolls setup sweepers and forces switches.

King (Empoleon) (M) @

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Defog

Second member of my Fire/Water/Grass core Empoleon is my bulky attacker, rock setter and hazard remover. He pairs amazingly with Whimsicott resisting his weakness to Flying, Ice, Poison and Bug. Shuca berry allows him to take on Earthquake and OHKO several threats in return. EV spread gives him maximum damage, bulk and enough speed to outpace base 65 Pokemon.
- Stealth Rock Standard Hazard to pressure offensive and rock Pokemon.
- Hydro Pump STAB to hit Pokemon weak or neutral to Water. Does heavy damage even to some that resist it though the accuracy can be shaky.
- Ice Beam Hits annoying Flying, Grass and Dragons like Crobat, Hydreigon, Mega Sceptile and Salamence.
- Defog Used to remove hazards and screens for the team.

Axel (Houndoom-Mega) (M) @

Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

Final member of my Fire/Water/Grass core Mega Houndoom is my setup sweepers and middle finger to Ghosts and Psychics. Houndoom takes Fire, Ghost, Dark and Psychic for Empoleon and Whimsicott which are either weak or neutral to. EV spread is standard for maximum speed and damage.
- Protect Allows Houndoom to safely Mega evolve and scout the opponents moveset.
- Dark Pulse STAB to hit Pokemon weak or neutral to Dark. Handles threats like Hoopa, Reuniclus and Chandelure. Also has a chance to flinch slower opponents.
- Fire Blast Second STAB that hits Grass, Ice and Steels weak to Fire. Also used for Pokemon neutral to both it's STABs due to its higher BP.
- Nasty Plot Boosts Mega Houndoom's SpA by two stages allowing him to sweep.

Cécile (Goodra) (M) @

Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Iron Tail

Goodra is my wallbreaker who mixes well with my main core. Goodra has plenty of bulk to switch in on attacks it weak or neutral to and use an attack it's opponent is weak too. If all Dragon resists are removed it can use Outrage to tear through the team. EV spread gives it maximum Attack and high bulk to take several hits while Speed EVs allow Goodra to outspeed uninvested 85 base Speed Pokemon.
- Outrage STAB to hit neutral targets and break through teams when Dragon resists are removed.
- Earthquake Used to hit Fire, Steel and Poison types like Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Arcanine and Cobalion.
- Power Whip Hits bulky Water and Ground types hard including Swampert and Suicune out speeding the latter.
- Iron Tail Used to smack Fairy types and Rock types especially Florges, Whimsicott and Mega Aerodactyl.

Sven (Lucario) (M) @

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

The team's revenge killer and second sweeper. With two priority attacks he makes an excellent revenge killer in the UU metagame. Partners well with Houndoom and Empoleon who resist it's weaknesses while threatening their checks. Standand EV spread giving him maximum damage and speed.
- Swords Dance Used to boost it's attack by two stages to break through opponents.
- Close Combat STAB that hits threats like Empoleon, Hydreigon, Mamoswine, Mega Abomasnow and Snorlax.
- Extreme Speed Priority that picks off weaken threats or targets with low defense.
- Bullet Punch Second STAB used to hit Fairies and Mega Aerodactyl.

Nyx (Noivern) (M) @

Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Switcharoo

Final member of the Team and special wallbreaker. Noivern works well with my Fire/Water/Grass core resisting attacks for all three Pokemon. Choice Specs boosts his damage greatly and uses the standard EV spread for offense.
- Draco Meteor STAB for hitting threats like Non Scarf Hydreigon, Salamence and neutral targets.
- U-turn Second STAB that handles Pokemon including Whimsicott, Heracross, Mienshao, Tangrowth and Infernape.
- Flamethrower For Steel types that resist it's STABS like Cobalion.
- Switcharoo Used to cripple setup sweepers and walls.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Defog

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

Goodra @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Iron Tail

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Switcharoo

Nyx (Crobat) (M) @

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Final member of the VoltTurn core and Hazard Remover. Crobat works well with my Fire/Water/Grass core resisting attacks for all three Pokemon. Sharp Beak Boosts Brave Bird's damage and standard EV spread was used for a more offensive variant of Crobat.
- Brave Bird STAB to hitting threats like Whimsicott, non Scarf Mienshao, Mega Sceptile and Machamp.
- U-turn Keeps momentum and smacks Bug weak Pokemon while switching out.
- Roost Increases it's longevity on the field and heals off Stealth Rock damage.
- Defog Used to clear hazards from the field.

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Goodra, you have a really cool team featuring your namesake here :]

However, I do have a couple tweaks that will consolidate a couple of your moveslots and allow for a major change once they're completed. So when I first looked at the team I noticed a really scary weakness to Mamoswine. Now this isn't uncommon on teams but I think we can alleviate it. There are a couple of options here but they all begin with this first shift on your Whimsicott. I'd recommend to switch to a more defensive spread of 236 HP / 144 Def / 128 Spe with a Timid nature. What this spread does is outspeed positive nature Salamence while hitting a leftovers number in HP (maximizing leftovers recovery) and giving you the remaining EVs to shove into Defense. This is where there are two lines of changes that I would recommend. The 1st line is safer to deal with Mamoswine but the second will be very prone to Knock Off variants. I'll still post them both but be wary of the second should you decide to use it.

For the first line of changes I'd like to see Defog > Grass Knot on Empoleon. With Whimsicott being a more sturdy pokemon now, the luring aspect of Grass Knot is not as needed and having Defog on Empoleon will open up a teamslot for this next change. From there, you can afford to replace Crobat with Rotom-Heat. This gives you a reliable Mamoswine answer. However, you need to be wary that the loss of your primary Heracross answer is very startling which is why the second line of changes is also a possibility. If you wish to make a second major change I'd like to see Tentacruel over Empoleon. Whimsicott serves as a decent Hydreigon answer already so Empoleon isn't as needed especially now that you snuck in a Flying resist with Rotom-H, eliminating a lot of threat from Bird Spam (Mega Aero is still scary as hell). Now if youre feeling really frisky you can actually throw something like Scarf Cobalion (or shuca if you're a wuss :P) over Mienshao. This would be an okay way to add an Aero check last minute. This also reintroduces a steel type to take a little bit of pressure off of Whimsicott to deal with all the dragons. This isn't as necessary if you opt to keep Empoleon.

Okay so in this alternate universe, I have a separate line of changes. This line definitely says to remove Empoleon for Tentacruel but opts for a much different EV spread than the last. This spread will seek to do what your previous Empoleon set did by luring with Shuca berry. I'll post it down below. Next I want to see Bronzong replace Crobat. By throwing Bronzong over Crobat you handle Mamoswine provided it doesn't have Knock Off (Colbur Berry is an option).

Whew that took awhile.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Giga Drain / Stun Spore
- Encore

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

OR

EVs: 204 HP / 208 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
This outspeeds Jolly Mamoswine

Bronzong @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 2 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry / Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge

Alright that was a mouthful so I'll try to recap everything here really quick.

Series 1
  • Defensive EVs on Whimsicott
  • Rotom-Heat over Crobat
  • Defog over Grass Knot on Empoleon
    • Can opt to use Tentacruel over Empoleon
    • If Tenta>Empo, run Cobalion over Mienshao likely with a Shuca Berry and Stealth Rocks
Series 2
  • Bronzong over Crobat
  • Tentacruel over Empoleon
Okay! That was a very long rate and it honestly got pretty out of hand rather quickly but my changes kept opening up new holes in the team so I had to patch those up along the way. Best of luck with the team and sorry for the novel I just posted in your thread!

Hey Goodra, you have a really cool team featuring your namesake here :]

However, I do have a couple tweaks that will consolidate a couple of your moveslots and allow for a major change once they're completed. So when I first looked at the team I noticed a really scary weakness to Mamoswine. Now this isn't uncommon on teams but I think we can alleviate it. There are a couple of options here but they all begin with this first shift on your Whimsicott. I'd recommend to switch to a more defensive spread of 236 HP / 144 Def / 128 Spe with a Timid nature. What this spread does is outspeed positive nature Salamence while hitting a leftovers number in HP (maximizing leftovers recovery) and giving you the remaining EVs to shove into Defense. This is where there are two lines of changes that I would recommend. The 1st line is safer to deal with Mamoswine but the second will be very prone to Knock Off variants. I'll still post them both but be wary of the second should you decide to use it.

For the first line of changes I'd like to see Defog > Grass Knot on Empoleon. With Whimsicott being a more sturdy pokemon now, the luring aspect of Grass Knot is not as needed and having Defog on Empoleon will open up a teamslot for this next change. From there, you can afford to replace Crobat with Rotom-Heat. This gives you a reliable Mamoswine answer. However, you need to be wary that the loss of your primary Heracross answer is very startling which is why the second line of changes is also a possibility. If you wish to make a second major change I'd like to see Tentacruel over Empoleon. Whimsicott serves as a decent Hydreigon answer already so Empoleon isn't as needed especially now that you snuck in a Flying resist with Rotom-H, eliminating a lot of threat from Bird Spam (Mega Aero is still scary as hell). Now if youre feeling really frisky you can actually throw something like Scarf Cobalion (or shuca if you're a wuss :P) over Mienshao. This would be an okay way to add an Aero check last minute. This also reintroduces a steel type to take a little bit of pressure off of Whimsicott to deal with all the dragons. This isn't as necessary if you opt to keep Empoleon.

Okay so in this alternate universe, I have a separate line of changes. This line definitely says to remove Empoleon for Tentacruel but opts for a much different EV spread than the last. This spread will seek to do what your previous Empoleon set did by luring with Shuca berry. I'll post it down below. Next I want to see Bronzong replace Crobat. By throwing Bronzong over Crobat you handle Mamoswine provided it doesn't have Knock Off (Colbur Berry is an option).

Whew that took awhile.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Giga Drain / Stun Spore
- Encore

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

OR

EVs: 204 HP / 208 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
This outspeeds Jolly Mamoswine

Bronzong @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 2 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry / Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge

Alright that was a mouthful so I'll try to recap everything here really quick.

Series 1
  • Rotom-Heat over Crobat
  • Defog over Grass Knot on Empoleon
    • Can opt to use Tentacruel over Empoleon
    • If Tenta>Empo, run Cobalion over Mienshao likely with a Shuca Berry and Stealth Rocks
Series 2
  • Bronzong over Crobat
  • Tentacruel over Empoleon
Okay! That was a very long rate and it honestly got pretty out of hand rather quickly but my changes kept opening up new holes in the team so I had to patch those up along the way. Best of luck with the team and sorry for the novel I just posted in your thread!
Thanks for the detailed rate it's appreciated you took the time on this. Well I made an oppsy daisy and had posted my old build before I had switched Mienshao with Lucario to handle Mamoswine. I'll give the Whimsicott spread a try as suggested. Not too keen on taking out Crobat and giving Empoleon the pressure of doing both roles especially with a more offensive build that doesn't have the time for both.

Edit: I took more of your advice and modified Whimsicott, put Defog on Empoleon and replaced Crobat. I did my own change on the latter using Noivern after some testing instead of Rotom. Odd Choice I'm sure you are thinking but I have enough coverage for Mamoswine but needed a wallbreaker for physical walls that Goodra couldn't dent. Hydreigon could of filled that role but I prefer Noivern's speed to take out opposing Hydreigons and Salamences.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)