Twin Bulky Dragons

This team is a modification of a generation 4 team I used to run a long while back; this is my first gen 5 RMT. While the move-set modifications were usually fairly obvious to me, the one issue I already know my team probably has is unoptimized EVs. That said, this team has pulled in its fair share of wins and I still love the sheer unpredictableness of it. Many a times an opponent has called BS as my Salamence survives a Stone Edge, or my Dragonite sets up on Ice Beam.

As a final note, do not attempt to change Dragonite's or Salamence's roles. Optimizing EVs is fine, but these two pokemon are central to the team's theme and it would not be the same team anymore without them. That said, feel free to suggest changes for anything else on the team.

The team at a glance:

Dragonite @ Leftovers

Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Careful Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Specially Defensive Bulky mono-attacker Dragonite is a real beast. Early in the game, he acts as a pseudo-special wall and spreads heal bell support for my team. Later on, after his checks are lured and eliminated with Salamence and my other pokemon, he then sets up and sweeps. His ludicrous special bulk allows him to setup on bulky water type Ice Beams, and with heal bell he can remove burn or paralysis right before beginning his sweep. Oftentimes I can even mind game the opponent into bringing in an ice-type in anticipation of a setup, and instead I just immediately launch a Dragon Claw to eliminate or cripple them.

Salamence @ Leftovers

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Wish

Fatmence's role is to lure out Dragonite's checks. His reputation as a fearsome offensive power house leads to some incorrect switches early on. With Dragon Tail, Fire Blast, and intimidate, Salamence can easily push out most physical sweepers attempting to setup.

Starmie @ Leftovers

Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Starmie's job is quite simple: remove stealth rock so that Salamence and Dragonite can switch in freely. Starmie also has some utility with scald and serves as a pseudo dragon check with Ice Beam.

Scizor @ Choice Band

Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 206 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

While the classic all-out attack choice band scizor was considered, I opted to go with Bulky CB scizor due to the wish support offered by salamence. With their good synergy and wish support, Scizor has a lot more staying power and can harass the opponent over the course of the match. He is also much more able to switch into and pursuit out ghost and psychic types, truly screwing over opponents who use such pokes.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 238 Spd / 20 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magnezone's job is to take out certain troublesome steel types such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, each of which can cause trouble to Dragonite later on when the time comes to sweep. I often lead with Magnezone and use Volt Switch if the match up is bad, giving me a lot of flexibility to counter the opponents lead choice.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SDef / 88 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn's job is pretty obvious: setup entry hazards to boost the damage incurred when Salamence uses Dragon Tail. The mere fact that switching can incur a whopping 37.5% damage is often enough to discourage any other type of switching from the opponent as well. Ferrothorn also has the bonus of completely screwing with enemy Trick Room teams.

Thanks for taking the time to read my RMT. Feel free to assist me in optimizing the EVs and suggest and poke's which can do a job better than one I have chosen. Hope you found this unorthodox team a bit refreshing, enjoy!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not really a full rate but I think your teams idea is fun!

Try this over your Dragonite:

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 16 SDef / 160 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

While Heal Bell is most definitely very cool I promise you you are missing out not using Multiscale. If you think your Dragonite is bulky atm just what till you have Multiscale up! This monster shrugs off pretty much all attacks while boosting its way up to victory. Substitute plays a very similar role to Heal Bell, blocking status from the lowly creatures who wish to do Dragonite wrong. I literally promise you you won't be disappointed with this change. Anyway I've actually got to be off but I just wanted to say this quickly; expect a full rate later :)

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: ninja'd, was replying to the OP not ninelol

er you don't quite understand what DW OU is. several pokemon got new abilities in the dream world in generation V. however, not all of those mons have been released in the dream world, meaning their dw abilities were not legal for use. DW OU was a tier where all dream world abilities, even unreleased ones, were legalized, so you could use things like shadow tag chandelure and lightningrod zapdos, that have never yet been released by nintendo.

however multiscale, and many others, is a dream world ability that HAS been released on dragonite, meaning it is legal in general OU play, not just on the dream world ladder. some move legality issues existed with multiscale because of move tutors in past generations, but bw2 tutors should alleviate most of those issues. idk if scales is legal with heal bell right now, but it might be

EDIT: as i thought, heal bell can only be obtained from pokemon xd gale of darkness, so it's not legal with multiscale. nevertheless, scales subdd nite is pretty much the bulkiest physical dragon sweeper there is, so i would seriously recommend that over heal bell

Ok, Multiscale + Heal Bell is illegal. It just probably isnt implemented on Pokemon Showdown.

As for the team, bulky Salamence is totally underrated. Props for using it. At first glance you are really fire weak, but with 3 resists that is probably not much of a problem. You could try using Hydro Pump over Scald on Starmie to give it a little more oomph because uninvested SpAtk on Starmie is pretty underwhelming. Something fun to try on Salamence would be 36 speed EVs to outrun Jirachi and hit it with Fire Blast before it can paralyze you. Its a totally specialized idea, but it could save you someday.

Good Luck!

Bryce

Lun
Cool team.I like the way you used Dnite and Mence.Firstly,I also suggest replacing Heal Bell with substitute for 2 reasons.

Multiscale + Heal Bell is illegal
2.Substitute is superior anyway.It can protect you from status like Heal bell but is more useful overall.Sub+Roost is pretty badass combo for abusing multiscale and help set up.With a Sub up,Dnite can set up on more powerful attacks from faster threats like Terrakion's Stone Edge without losing high amount of health.

You might want to consider Protect over Roost on Mence.Wish+Protect gives you nice recovery like Roost,but protect can be very useful for scouting and easing prediction somewhat.I always get mad when my prediction with choiced pokes get ruined due to Protect.

Another thing is that Scarf Magnezone can't beat Ferrothorn with Leech seed in rain,especially the ones with Leech seed+protect.So I say try out sub charge magnezone instead of scarf.If you want to keep volt switch then change to specs.And if you really need scarf no matter what becoz he's your only scarfer,u can change it to magneton.Scarf Magneton outspeeds Tornadus-T unlike Magnezone.

Instead of scizor, have you tried choice scarf genesect? While you lose priority you gain a much better advantage to attack opposing mons that outspeed like Tornadus T. Magnezone is an extremely slow scarfer so instead of making him scarfed make him into the sub charging set. That way once the stell has been removed u get a strong hit on the next mon before switching out.
Also on ferrothorn, setting up both spikes, stealth rock with just leftovers recovery is quite unlikely. Why dont you switch one of the moves with leech seed?

I just spent an hour or so with scarf genesect and subzone, it really screwed up my team synergy to be honest. Scarf Magnezone and Band Scizor are just critical to keeping momentum on my side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)