Twintimidate | Volt-Turn | Peaked 1895 (#22)

T W I N T I M I D A T E

Introduction

Hello Smogon and welcome to my first RMT. With the introduction of new Pokemon, mega evolutions and game mechanics in Generation VI, it was hard knowing where to start when I thought about building my first competitive team in over 4 years. So instead of allowing myself to be distracted by all of the new glitz, I decided to focus on two mechanics that would not have changed - the importance of synergy and momentum. Over the past 2 weeks the team has evolved from a basic Volt-Turn core to a bulky balance of Volt-Turn and Spikes Stacking.

I have had a decent amount of success, peaking at #25 on the OU ladder with a rating of 1895.

Team Building Process

Current Version: 2.0

Initially the aim of the team was to keep momentum while suppressing the opponent's offensive capabilities with Intimidate. The first Pokemon I decided to add was Landorus-T. Having missed out on almost all of Gen V competitive battling I hadn't had the opportunity to test many of BW's biggest threats. The thought of using '145 Base Attack Gliscor with Intimidate' was an attractive prospect. I intended on using Landorus-T as a scouting lead, Scarfed and with U-Turn.

Next I added (Mega) Manectric, who works with Landorus-T to provide excellent offensive coverage. EdgeQuake & BoltBeam wrapped into a Volt-Turn core, both of which carry Intimidate was too appealing to pass up. Mega Manectric deals with Landorus-T's biggest counters, such as Skarmory and Slowbro (and other bulky Water types in general) and provides necessary speed to an otherwise slow team.

I decided I needed some special bulk and hazards. I added Tyranitar and initially ran a mixed-attacking, max Special Defence set. The flexibility of the Pokemon is what attracted me to adding him to the team - he brings residual damage through Sandstorm, surprise factor through special attacks and hazards in the form of Stealth Rocks. I am a firm believer that every team needs (or at least greatly benefits) from having the ability to set up rocks; TTar gets the job done by having the bulk to switch into a plethora of threats and subsequently force switches.

With two Intimidate users and specially defensive TTar I realised I was leaving myself very vulnerable to one of XY OU's biggest threats - Bisharp. Skarmory is a great solution and we all know what he brings. I decided to run Spikes and Whirlwind over Defog as I didn't want to risk giving Bisharp a free +2 and also value the ability to Phaze.

The team now had it's Volt-Turn and defensive cores, so I was looking for an offensive presence. However, with no Rapid Spin/Defog support I was concious of leaving myself open to hazards. With both Stealth Rocks and Spikes setters on my team I disregarded an offensive Defogger as counter productive and instead looked for a quick, attacking Spinner. Life Orb Starmie appealed for it's coverage, status absorption and the ability to check Keldeo variants that present a threat to the other members of the team.

Kyurem-B was the final member of the first draft. It has fantastic wall breaking capabilities on top of a great ability that let's it threaten some common tanks such as Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W.

Through testing I found that Kyurem-B and Starmie are often walled by the same checks and counters (e.g. Chansey). Furthermore I was finding that Starmie could not Spin often enough to make up for Kyurem-B's Stealth Rock weakness. On a team with no set up sweepers I was relying on switches to give me the advantage, with rocks up Kyurem-B suffered from this approach.

I found myself weak to special attackers carrying a fighting move and also missed a priority move - I severely underestimated the 'get-out-of-jail' card they often provide. For strong priority, synergy with TTar and further special bulk I decided to add Assault Vest Conkeldurr.

Having been consistently frustrated by Aegislash and Bisharp I decided to switch Starmie out, on impulse, for Excadrill. My hope was that Excadrill would comfortably check both and also threaten fairies (a problem I discovered through play testing).

Considering that my preferred set for Excadrill was Scarfed with Mold Breaker, I dropped the Choice Scarf from Landorus-T in favour of a bulkier spread to increase the number of chances to switch in with Intimidate.

Scarfing my Rapid Spinner was a bad idea. Not only that, but Excadrill felt too fragile and compounded an emerging water weakness. It rarely lived longer than the opponent's hazard setter and failed to provide reliable Spin support in longer matches.

I was left wanted a Rapid Spinner that resists water, can threaten fairies and has enough bulk to last switch in 2 or 3 times per match. Tentacruel came to mind - it does all of the above and provides status support in the form of Scald and Toxic Spikes.

With Tentacruel's added bulk and hazard support I needed a reliable way of removing the opponent's Defogger/Spinner. I decided to change TTar to a dedicated physical set, with a Choice Scarf. This allows me to surprise and OHKO a number of problems (i.e. Mega Charizard X/Y) as well as reliably remove common Defog users (i.e. Lati@s). With no one laying Stealth Rock now, I changed Landorus-T's set to accommodate this.

This change was immediately successful it allowed me to regularly employ a hazard-based strategy which, when combined with a Volt-Turn core, either kept offensive momentum or shuffled the opponent for residual damage.

The Team In-depth

Landorus-Therian ♂ (Calrissian)
@ Leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant
196 HP | 220 Atk | 92 Spe
Earthquake | Stone Edge | U-Turn | Stealth Rock
With a great typing, ability and base 145 attack Landorus-T performs multiple roles in the team. He has no problem coming in on common physical threats and creates numerous opportunities to set Stealth Rock or scout with U-Turn.

Landorus-T's primary function is to set Stealth Rock as early as possible, for this reason he often finds himself as the go-to lead for the team. However, he also serves as a check to common physical attackers such as Garchomp, Excadrill, Dragonite and Scizor (most notably EQ users that outspeed Manectric). Further to this, the set has been designed avoid getting totally completely rolled over by Bisharps that love being Intimidated.

The EV spread is a mixture of bulk and offence. 196 HP hits a Leftovers Number (368), while 92 Spe is enough to outspeed neutral, max speed base 70s (e.g. Bisharp) as well as 16 Spe base 100s (e.g. Tentacruel). The rest goes into attack to pick up a few key KOs - notably a number of Rapid Spinners and the most common Spinblocker, Aegislash.

Key Damage Calcs
Vs Bisharp

220+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 384-452 (137.6 - 162%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 298-351 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Garchomp

220+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 199-235 (55.5 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 157-186 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 105-124 (28.5 - 33.6%) -- 96.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Excadrill

220+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 576-680 (159.1 - 187.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 109-129 (29.6 - 35%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Tentacruel

220+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 362-428 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 174-206 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Aegislash

220+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 270-318 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 192-226 (52.1 - 61.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 117-138 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(Mega) Manectric ♀ (Man Eater)
@ Manectite
Lightning Rod & Intimidate
Timid
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Thunderbolt | Volt Switch | Flamethrower | Hidden Power [Ice]​

Mega Manectric is the broom of team and is excellent in it's role as a late game sweeper, largely due to its fantastic coverage. With 135 base speed she outspeeds nearly the whole metagame, however falls agonisingly short of key guaranteed OHKOs (most notably Garchomp and Gliscor). For this reason, she greatly appreciates hazard support from Landorus-T, Skarmory and Tentacruel.

Although Mega Manectric performs best as a late game sweeper, the aim should be to mega evolve her as early as possible. Apart from the obvious power-up, this also allows her to perform her secondary role as part of the Intimidating Volt-Turn core with Landorus-T.

Before mega evolving, Manectric occasionally has the opportunity to switch in on electric attacks to net a +1 special attack boost from Lightning Rod. Although risky, a +1 Mega Manectric can take chunks out of opposition walls early in the game, opening up for a sweep towards the end of the match.

The EVs are self-explanatory; max special attack to hit as hard as possible, while max speed with a timid nature outspeeds Garchomp before and after mega evolving, speed ties with Mega Pinsir as regular Manectric and outspeeds Adamant Dragonite after a Dragon Dance as Mega Manectric.

Lightning quick.

Key Damage Calcs
Vs Garchomp

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 312-368 (87.1 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Vs Gliscor

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 340-404 (96 - 114.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Vs Ferrothorn

252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Ferrothorn: 324-384 (92 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Vs Aegislash

252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 142-168 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 348-410 (107.4 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Manectric: 192-226 (68.3 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar ♀ (Gojira)
@ Choice Scarf
Sand Stream
Jolly
4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Stone Edge | Crunch | Pursuit | Earthquake

Tyranitar is arguably the most important member of the team, her primary function is to single out the biggest problem and deal with it. She is excellent at removing the opponent's Defog user and scoring surprise KOs thanks to Choice Scarf (notable examples include Lati@s, Zapdos and Mega Charizard X/Y). Tyranitar's secondary function is to provide some bulk to the team. She has great synergy with the other members, especially Conkeldurr, and is able to switch in on psychic types and fly spammers.

The EVs with a Jolly nature bring Tyranitar to 364 speed with a Choice Scarf. This allows her to outspeed a number of otherwise problematic Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X/Y, Thundurus, Zapdos, Keldeo, Bisharp, Adamant Talonflame, Lati@s, Terrakion, Mega Pinsir, Garchomp, Lucario and many more.

Key Damage Calcs
Vs Lati@s

252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit (on switch) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 294-348 (97.3 - 115.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit (on switch) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 320-380 (105.9 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 172-203 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Zapdos

252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 270-318 (70.3 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Vs Talonflame

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 108-128 (31.5 - 37.4%) -- 87.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 170-200 (49.7 - 58.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Vs Mega Pinsir

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 230-272 (67.2 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Mega Charizard X/Y

252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 306-362 (102.6 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 157-186 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 306-360 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Skarmory ♂ (Skarnanigans)
@ Rocky Helmet
Sturdy
Impish
252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
Brave Bird | Roost | Whirlwind | Spikes
It's easy to see why Skarmory has been the premier physical wall since Gen II. Steel/Flying is a fantastic type combination that offers multiple resistances and only two weaknesses, granting him several opportunities to absorb physical hits and set up Spikes in return.

Skarmory has a couple of tricks up its sleeve to put the opponent in between a rock and hard place - Whirlwind is excellent for Phazing and shuffling the enemy to maximise hazard damage; Rocky Helmet adds surprisingly stackable passive damage and prevents Spinners from doing their job for free; Sturdy offers a final opportunity to get one more attack in before biting the dust.

As the metagame has arguably become more physical, Skarmory's presence on the team sheet is more valuable than ever. He provides an answer to Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Azumarill, Bisharp, Conkeldurr and Breloom.

Key Damage Calcs
Vs Mega Pinsir

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 186-218 (68.3 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 70-83 (20.9 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 85-101 (25.4 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Vs Azumarill

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 129-153 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 91-108 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 180-213 (53.8 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Bisharp

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 126-149 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 103-121 (30.8 - 36.2%) -- 58.7% chance to 3HKO

Tentacruel ♀ (Jelly Jane)
@ Black Sludge
Liquid Ooze
Bold
252 HP | 240 Def | 16 Spe
Scald | Sludge Wave | Rapid Spin | Toxic Spikes
Tentacruel fills the most difficult role in the team - Rapid Spin support that covers my water weakness. Although Rapid Spin is the main reason for her selection, Toxic Spikes comes in very handy against semi-stall teams and certain Megas (e.g. Charizard X).

Liquid Ooze is a surprisingly useful ability that gives Leech Seeders a difficult decision to make; this comes in especially handy when faced against Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr, both of whom lose their ability to recover large chunks from Leech Seed, Giga Drain and Drain Punch. However, Tenatacruel's lack of recovery means that she is reliant on Black Sludge to stay alive for any meaningful amount of time and still loses in a 1v1 with Mega Venusaur.

Overall, Tentacruel is a probably the weakest member of the team. She struggles to stay alive long enough to provide Rapid Spin support for the duration of the match and, due to a lack of recovery, has to choose her switches carefully while her lack of attacking presence leaves her susceptible to being set up on. However she is still able to provide cover to some glaring weaknesses, such as fairy types and non-CM Keldeo.

Key Damage Calcs
Vs Keldeo

0 SpA Tentacruel Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 93-111 (28.7 - 34.3%) -- 2.9% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 114-135 (31.3 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Vs Azumarill

0 SpA Tentacruel Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 204-242 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 84-100 (23 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Vs Mega Venusaur

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 111-132 (30.4 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Mega Venusaur Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 192-226 (52.7 - 62%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Vs Mega Charizard Y

0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 62-74 (20.8 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 130-154 (35.7 - 42.3%) -- 92.7% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Conkeldurr ♀ (Kellie)
@ Assault Vest
Guts
Adamant
4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 SpD
Drain Punch | Mach Punch | Ice Punch | Knock Off
Conkeldurr is the premier physical attacker on the team while also acting as a secondary special tank. With Assault Vest she is able to switch in on the vast majority of special attackers, including Thundurus, Raikou, Rotom-W, Heatran and Hydreigon. The EVs are set to provide increased special tanking to the detriment of taking repeated physical hits.

Conkeldurr also fills two additional roles on the team - she absorbs status, having no problem taking repeated Scalds or a WoW, and provides a much needed priority move with Mach Punch. The utility of Knock Off is fantastic, neutering Pokemon that rely on their item and occasionally netting some big KOs on unsuspecting psychics such as Lati@s that want to switch in on a resisted Drain Punch. Ice Punch provides coverage and means that Conkeldurr isn't completely vulnerable to Gliscor and Landorus.

Key Damage Calcs
Vs Thundurus-I

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 254-300 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 99-117 (28.1 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Vs Landorus-I

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 211-250 (59.9 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Rotom-W

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 118-139 (33.5 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs Heatran

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 270-320 (69.9 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 100-118 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO 3HKO

Weaknesses and Threats
  • Baton Pass - This a real problem as I have no Taunt user and only one Phaze move (Whirwlind on Skarmory). In order to win I need to rely on the opponent's misplay or get lucky with a critical hit.
  • Stall - As my team has no set-up sweepers, no Taunt user and no mix-attackers I am reliant on hazard damage through shuffling. Toxic Spikes can come in very handy if the opponent doesn't have a poison type, however Mega Venusaur's presence often renders this strategy useless.
  • Special attackers with both Psychic and Fighting moves - My premier special tank is Tyranitar, who gets cheesed on by anything fighting while my secondary special sponges are Conkeldurr and Tentacruel, both of whom can't switch in on powerful psychic moves. For this reason I often struggle against Deoxys-S, Alakazam and Landorus-I.
Bisharp
- If Skarmory goes down then I am reliant on revenging with Conkeldurr, Tyranitar's EQ or being able to bring in Landorus-T at full HP. He often switches in on Manectric, predicting the Mega Evolve and netting a Defiant boost; here I have to make a risky prediction and Flamethrower on the switch.

Deoxys-S - Deoxys-S is a real problem for me and I have no option to play around it. I need to switch in Landorus-T to take any Superpowers before bring TTar in to Crunch/Pursuit once Deoxys-S is at -2 attack.

Garchomp (Mega) - My normal switch into a Garchomp is either Landorus-T or Skarmory, both of whom are subsequently surprised and nuked by Draco Meteor and Fire Blast respectively. Furthermore, good guy Tyranitar sets up sand to fuel Mega Garchomp's Sand Force.

Kyurem-B - Most Kyurem-B are mixed with Substitute and this is the variant that gives me the most trouble. Conkeldurr is the only Pokemon on my team that can take a hit and threaten to do anything in return, however it struggles to switch in on physical hits.

Landorus-I - Landorus-I with Earth Power, Psychic and Focus Blast is able to sweep or severely dent Tyranitar, Tentacruel, Conkeldurr and Skarmory. Mega Manectric can revenge kill with Hidden Power [Ice] which is a guarnteed OHKO.

Scizor (Mega) - If Skarmory goes down then Mega Scizor is free to set up. Mega Manectric can revenge kill with Flamethrower but still takes ~60% from a +2 Bullet Punch.

Venusaur (Mega) - As the team lacks set-up sweepers, Mega Venusaur usually finds itself just bulky enough to not be broken; I am reliant on residual damage and hazards to deal with it. Tyranitar's Sandstorm cuts the effectiveness of Synthesis while Tentacruel adds further residual damage should Venusaur opt for Leech Seed or Giga Drain. Skarmory resists its STABs but must watch out for HP [Fire].

Clefable - Magic Guard Clefable doesn't care about any of the hazards that I work hard to set up and can shut down the entire team if it's bulky Calm Mind with Moonblast and Flamethrower. Tentacruel is the best option, but Sludge Wave has to rely on a critical hit.

Greninja - Greninja with Extrasensory can do some real damage. If Manectric hasn't gone Mega then I have to play around him. ScarfTar fails to outspeed +Spe variants.

Chansey - If Chansey is paired with a physically defensive partner, such as Gliscor or Scizor, my lack of mix-attacking prowess and wallbreakers is embarrassingly apparent. Chansey switches in for free on Mega Manectric and, even when I Volt Switch out, as long as the opponent can handle Conkeldurr then I have a big task on my hands. Chansey can spread Toxic or support with Wish and Heal Bell all day.

Replays and Importable
Calrissian (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 Atk / 196 HP / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Man Eater (Manectric) (F) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gojira (Tyranitar) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Skarnanigans (Skarmory) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes

Jelly Jane (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Kellie (Conkeldurr) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
Thanks for taking the time to read my first RMT! I would greatly appreciate feedback and constructive criticism. Please feel free to use and alter the team on Pokemon Showdown. Let me know how you get on!

Last edited:
Really cool team you have there. Mega Manetric is so underated, so it's nice to see someone utilizing it effectively. I have some things to change in this team though. I feel like having so many hazards on a team is not the best thing to have in a metagame where countless defog users and spinners run (or fly) amok. Having said this, I suggest removing spikes in Skarm and going for defog, allowing you to free up a team slot. I suggest using a specs Latios in place of Tentacruel. That allows you to keep the water resist, not sure about the fairies though. This allows you to muscle your way through Mega Venusaur. Also, trick messes up Chansey, and stops setup sweepers like the bane of your team, CM Clefable. Bisharp is also shut don't reasonably well if they sucker punch on your trick. Getting locked into a move in a meta chock full of pursuit trappers is a bitch. though. It also switches in to most Landorus-I extremely easily, only fearing ones with u-turn or hp ice. It can also tank an ice beam from Deoxys-S and kill with a Draco. Most of the threats to your team won't be switching into a either a Draco or Psyshock easily either(dammit, Scizor). Okay, good luck with the team. If my advice is BS, don't be afraid to tell me. If not, I'm glad I could help!

Really cool team you have there. Mega Manetric is so underated, so it's nice to see someone utilizing it effectively. I have some things to change in this team though. I feel like having so many hazards on a team is not the best thing to have in a metagame where countless defog users and spinners run (or fly) amok. Having said this, I suggest removing spikes in Skarm and going for defog, allowing you to free up a team slot. I suggest using a specs Latios in place of Tentacruel. That allows you to keep the water resist, not sure about the fairies though. This allows you to muscle your way through Mega Venusaur. Also, trick messes up Chansey, and stops setup sweepers like the bane of your team, CM Clefable. Bisharp is also shut don't reasonably well if they sucker punch on your trick. Getting locked into a move in a meta chock full of pursuit trappers is a bitch. though. It also switches in to most Landorus-I extremely easily, only fearing ones with u-turn or hp ice. It can also tank an ice beam from Deoxys-S and kill with a Draco. Most of the threats to your team won't be switching into a either a Draco or Psyshock easily either(dammit, Scizor). Okay, good luck with the team. If my advice is BS, don't be afraid to tell me. If not, I'm glad I could help!
Thanks for the feedback mate.

You're probably right in saying that being so hazard heavy in a metagame full of Defog isn't the smartest approach from the outset. I'll certainly look to try Specs Latios out and amend the team if it suits.

EDIT: Looking at my weaknesses, I don't have a Taunt users or a set up sweeper. To that end I might look at replacing Tentacruel with a bulky Gyarados (maybe running Moxie as to not compound my vulnerability to Defiant). I would then replace Spikes (?) on Skarmory with Defog to account for the loss of my Spinner.

Unfortunately I then lose my Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which could greately alter the core dynamic of the team. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Try a Weaknite (Dragonite with Weakness Policy). It has the Water resistance, but weak to Fairy, but Multiscale can handle that. You can choose DDance + 3 attacks, or all out attacker. I'd use Dragon Claw, Fire Punch, Superpower, and Extremespeed for the all-out attacker. Covers MOST of those threats, although Greninja will still be a bit of a problem, but I'm sure Tyranitar will be able to handle it.

Or try mixed Weaknite with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Superpower, and Extremespeed.

Last edited:
Try a Weaknite (Dragonite with Weakness Policy). It has the Water resistance, but weak to Fairy, but Multiscale can handle that. You can choose DDance + 3 attacks, or all out attacker. I'd use Dragon Claw, Fire Punch, Superpower, and Extremespeed for the all-out attacker. Covers MOST of those threats, although Greninja will still be a bit of a problem, but I'm sure Tyranitar will be able to handle it.

Or try mixed Weaknite with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Superpower, and Extremespeed.
My concern with running WeakNite is that I would lose spin support and leave him vulnerable to SR. WeakNite really relies on Multiscale. Further to this he fails to 2HKO Chansey with Superpower without a boost (factoring the -1 Atk on the second hit).

252+ Atk Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-460 (55.3 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 260-306 (36.9 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I'll certainly try him out though. The mix set may be more appealing for the wall-breaking capabilities, even though +2 Draco Meteor fails to OHKO Mega Venusaur 100% of the time.

+2 252+ SpA Dragonite Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 331-390 (90.9 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

My concern with running WeakNite is that I would lose spin support and leave him vulnerable to SR. WeakNite really relies on Multiscale. Further to this he fails to 2HKO Chansey with Superpower without a boost (factoring the -1 Atk on the second hit).

252+ Atk Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-460 (55.3 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 260-306 (36.9 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I'll certainly try him out though. The mix set may be more appealing for the wall-breaking capabilities, even though +2 Draco Meteor fails to OHKO Mega Venusaur 100% of the time.

+2 252+ SpA Dragonite Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 331-390 (90.9 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
I assumed you were going to replace Spikes with Defog on Skarm, so that Multiscale problem wouldn't be too much of a problem. And if Superpower fails to 2HKO Chansey without the Weakness Policy boost, Conkeldurr would probably be your next best option (or best, at that).

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi WastedSkyPlate,

The first thing I notice about this team is that it's main goal (weakening the opponent with SR + Spikes until something on the team can clean up late-game), doesn't seem to be supported as well as it could be. You don't have anything to reliably stop your opponent from spinning or Defogging your hazards away. I think the main problem with that is that you rely too much on these hazards to win you the game, when you could use powerful wall breakers + voltturn and achieve the same result. Other than that, you discuss the defensive/offensive threats of your team well, so I won't go into those.

The first suggestion I would make is to change Conkeldurr to Pursuit Bisharp. With Defiant, your opponent will be much more reluctant to spam Defog, and with U-turn and Volt Switch, it won't really be hard to get him in on a predicted Defog at any time. Bisharp also traps Latios and Latias, which you already noted is a decent threat to your team. Next, I don't really like Scarf Tyranitar on the team. It and Conkeldurr's roles seem too similar (besides, you cover all the setup sweepers I can think of with Skarmory/Landorus/Mega Manectric, so a revenge killer doesn't seem necessary to me). Instead, I would substitute that for Calm Mind Keldeo. Keldeo fits the team very well, it provides you with a solid win condition (which you don't have right now) and can beat many of the threats that you list in your threatlist, such as Bisharp, Mega Venusaur, Landorus, Greninja without Extrasensory, and Kyurem-B. Furthermore, after a Calm Mind, Keldeo becomes a monstrous wall breaker, which suits your hazards stacking style very well. Finally, I would suggest you use Defog Latios over Tentacruel. Tentacruel just isn't very goon in this meta, and your team doesn't need a solid check to Azumarill since it already has Skarmory. Latios can check Keldeo more offensively (and therefore fits the team style better), as well as Landorus, while also providing Defog support. Now, I know that Defog may not seem appealing, but removing hazards from your side of the field is more important than keeping them on the opponent's especially since you have two very reliable setters that can usually come in multiple times in a match. Latios can provide that support while also being a huge offensive presence, and wearing down the opponent even further with LO Draco Meteors.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Calm Mind

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Thanks a lot for the suggestions Halcyon.

I'll try them out and let you know how i get on. I was thinking about adding a Defiant user to dissuade Defoggers, but wasn't sure who to settle on (even though Bisharp is clearly the runaway choice).

EDIT: Halcyon. I have been testing the changes you suggested and, although they have been working well, the glaring weakness is that I am now stupidly weak to Thundurus-I (as long as it runs HP [Ice] for Lando).

I'll upload replays when I remember.

EDIT 2:

Latest replays;

WastedSkyPirate Vs Olly000
WastedSkyPirate Vs radianthero156
WastedSkyPirate Vs notouch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)