Let's Play! Twitch Plays Pokemon

its because he's our starter pkmn and we never really gave anyone else a chance

but sorry for bringing logic into this
We constantly give other pokemon chances they just die because they suck. Which is really surprising because that means they suck more than the Johto trainers

So they are at Red but got stomped, just have to go through Mt. Silver again.

Confirmed that Red has the previous playthrough's pokemon on the first attempt, when we saw a lv. 81 Zapados as his first pokemon.

Also confirmed that the next game with be Emerald.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, we're about to face Red... And since our highest leveled Pokemon is Feraligatr and his is Zapdos, it might take a while...

Well, we're about to face Red... And since our highest leveled Pokemon is Feraligatr and his is Zapdos, it might take a while...
If they can somehow keep Solid Snake in the front of the party, its going to hard counter anything Zapdos can throw at him, but that only solves 1 problem of 6 ;p

Last edited:

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm still amazed by how fast this was. It looks like we'll be finished by the 13th day. At that point in the original stream, we hadn't even gotten all the badges yet.

As a whole, this stream was definitely weaker, but that was to be expected, since Crystal is a lot easier than Red/Blue. Hopefully, the Emerald stream will be a lot more interesting.

Albacore

If half our team already gets pummeled to death before we even get to Red, this is going to be tough. But we really only need Snake and Gator to succeed. If we can keep both of them intact, we'll be OK.
*Imagines the bike puzzles*
Oh god the Ice Puzzle is going to be hell.

And it's a good thing we don't have to get Rayquaza because that tower was already a nightmare when played normally. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be on TPP.

I'm pretty excited about Emerald. One of the reasons TPP Crystal lost a lot of its viewerbase was because Crystal is hardly different from Red, storywise. You just go around beating the gyms, defeating team rocket whenever they pop up. The gen 3 games actually have a concrete storyline, so it'll be interesting to see how the game develops in the hands of twitch.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
You just go around beating the gyms, defeating team rocket whenever they pop up.
you just described the essence of pokemon

also the only reason i think a lot of people find TPP interesting is the fan lore behind it - nobody's interested in a stream where 10k fools release a flareon and box a drowzee. they are interested in a stream where the Keeper is sacrificed to protect the PC against the evil False Prophet

If anything the biggest reason for its decline was time and nostalgia of the first game.

Nothing stays relevant too long on the internet, the fact its able to have +9k people 24/7 is still quite amazing, but the consistent +80k or topping 140k won't happen again.

It mostly attracted a lot of people who only played the first game, so when we went to 2nd gen there was a huge drop off before any other of the "supposed reasons" of the decline came into effect.

you just described the essence of pokemon

also the only reason i think a lot of people find TPP interesting is the fan lore behind it - nobody's interested in a stream where 10k fools release a flareon and box a drowzee. they are interested in a stream where the Keeper is sacrificed to protect the PC against the evil False Prophet
This.

It's the fandom that got me to like Ace (under leveled and useless) and Lazor Gator (over leveled and obnoxious) with illustrations/comics.

Last edited:

Albacore

There are rumors that the streamer will use a randomized ROM of Emerald as the next stream.

I really, really want this to happen.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
that seems like a silly idea

just do the natural order of games; if there's still interest at the end, do shit like light platinum or randomizer emerald

I'm familiar with Light Platinum, but what is Randomizer Emerald?

All I heard was that he was thinking to change Democracy in Emerald.

Albacore

I'm familiar with Light Platinum, but what is Randomizer Emerald?
All wild Pokemon, trainer Pokemon, movesets and base stats are randomized.
that seems like a silly idea

just do the natural order of games; if there's still interest at the end, do shit like light platinum or randomizer emerald
I see your point, but I really don't want another run as stale and boring as the Crystal one.

The entire point of the stream is to see if people can work together to achieve a goal, so it would be interesting to make things as chaotic as possible and see if people still pull through. Although, if we end up with an OP starter, it might backfire badly.

Also, making sense out of chaos is a pretty important theme, and more chaos will probably improve the lore.

I love the lore that comes out of these playthroughs. Gen 1 had the god vs. god dynamic, with Helix vs. Dome and Anarchy vs. Democracy. Now, in Gen 2, we have gods against man; the stream now uses a combination of Democracy and Anarchy, so they don't particularly compete anymore, and Helix has turned into the main villain, causing the release of Admiral and Prince Omelette. I really do love the stream.

a fairy

Community Leader
perma democracy will kill the stream i promise

the anarchy, and the lore that comes from it, keeps the stream going. having democaracy will insure there will never be a mistake

lore comes from mistakes

I really wanted to keep liking this but shit got old, lore started feeling forced, I just want them to beat Red so I can stop caring.

Putting Steelix in the first slot is kind of a double edged sword. Steelix manages to help us actually reach red without losing any Pokemon thanks to its resistances and high defense, but it also means that our best chance at beating Zapdos ends up with little or no PP left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)