Gen 2 Two offensive [I hope] teams I've made

First team. Based on Marowak + Machamp offense. Main strategy is putting pressure on Zapdos / Skarmory.

Snorlax (M) [Lead 1] @ Leftovers
- Body Slam / Double-Edge
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Lovely Kiss

STLax provides great defense in general, and BS might give some para in Skarm / Steelix / whatever. Lovely Kiss main targets tend to be Skarms / Miltanks /// non-ST Snorlaxes / Steelixs. LKLax is usually the lead, though now I'm experimenting with Zapdos, due to the plethora of Cloyster leads that exist in NB.

Zapdos [Lead 2] @ Leftovers
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder

Great defensive for many common threats and hits really hard in many common scenarios. Paralizing Snorlaxes / Raikous is always nice, and paralyze a ReflectKou is really good for the team. A Zapdos lead allows me to get a Machamp/Marowak vs Snorlax/Raikou into a Cloyster lead, which mostly involves scouting the Champ/Wak answer early. During the game provides a lot of Champ/Wak free switches against Skarm/Cune/Star/Cloyster, especially notable against stall teams.

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Curse
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rock Slide

Standard Curse+3 Attacks Champ. In case Zapdos happens to be the most useful sweeper in some scenarios, Machamp to Zapdos vs Snorlax/Miltank/Pgon/etc are also there.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Roar

Curselix, answer to current most common Snorlaxes, but having to worry about LK / FB mainly. Exploding into Egg/Zap/Skarm/Cune/Star helps Maro+Champ offense depending on the moment. Especially Zap/Skarm.

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

SP goes with CurseTalkerLax, and SS with LKLax normally. SS helps a lot Marowak/Champ though by paralyzing electrics and waters.

Marowak (M) @ Thick Club
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Not much to say. Hits awesomely hard.

Second team. Not tested at all, and tbh it is the first "serious" spiking based team I have made.

Zapdos [Lead 1] @ Leftovers
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder

Snorlax [Lead 2] (M) @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Double-Edge
- Lovely Kiss / Sleep Talk
- Rest

Cloyster [Lead 3] (M) @ Leftovers
- Explosion
- Ice Beam / Icy Wind
- Spikes
- Surf

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Roar

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Psychic
- Toxic

Should at least be able to Toxic 2-3 important pokes.

Misdreavus (M) @ (No Item)
- Destiny Bond / Hypnosis / Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Thief / Protect
- Thunder

I feel creative that day. Thief/Hypnosis should work for Missy's switch-ings: Raikou/Steelix aka phazers. Just hoping Thief helps against Kou/Miltank whatever post spikes+toxic. I will probably end up going to the standard PTrapper after the first battle, idk. I suppose PS still works by itself by forcing swicthes that may get damaged and outpredicted. And stops normal Laxes cold. And comes into FB decently as well.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
marowak shreds your first team, i'd consider skarmory over steelix. you can cover electrics with lax pretty well anyway (especially if you're rest/sleep talking). gengar is a bitch too.

But skarm will do nothing offensively, and I don't have the support (Beller) to help him at all. And I dislike how Protect Skarm worked the last time I used it. Anyway, an offensive team does not have to cover everything defensively because it can't. I will try to go for a trade against Marowak in this team. Prediction between Zap<->Champ/Egg/Wak might work in some scenarios but is very risky actually. And Wak is not that common after all. I'm still thinking in how a team with Cloyster over Egg will fare, but I don't think it's a good idea.

And Gar is IMO a bitch to every team. I still think I have nice Gengar coverage to at worst select the poke I want to use for a 1-1 trade (Wak/Steelix/Egg/Champ/Zap)

Thanks for your help =)

EDIT: I'm thinking about a Surf, Recover, TW, whatever Starmie, but I do not actually think it will do much besides paralyzing Snorlaxes in most situations. Slowbro heh! Might give him a chance.

@team 1: Stick to the one I posted. Since it's 90% . Vaporeon covers more holes than you can imagine. And plus, Nitro and I tested pretty extensively in the two or so months we were interested this summer. It'd be pretty naive to think we didn't try something as obvious as Marowak, before dismissing it as just another inferior alternative. And before you respond, yes we tested Porygon2, Charizard, Heracross, Espeon, Nidoking, Cloyster, Starmie, Gengar, Tyranitar, Rhydon, and just about every possible variation that even remotely works even in theory.

@team 2: Very much along the lines of team 1 really. And we tried this variation as well, with Gengar over Misdreavus. It works, but it works moreso on sheer offense, either through Explosion, or through Snorlax/Zapdos wrecking every team.

With spikes, you have two routes, and it's pretty ineffective to deviate from either. Stall or explosion. If you choose stall, there's not too much flexibility there. I'll let you figure that one out. This is pretty hard to play against someone as good/better than you are, but stupidly easy to play against someone who sucks.

If you go explosion, emphasis on explosion. Spikers are really just there because explosion is all the two spikers can do offensively anyway. The emphasis here is definitely more on explosion than on spikes, and if you do win a game, it'll probably because of exposion (either directly 1 for 1 trades all the way down, or indirectly opening up defenses). It's really brainless and I won't bother going into detail about how to play explosion teams. It's THAT easy. Explosion teams are the best bet when playing against someone better than you. However, you'd also lose some games you shouldn't lose cause of how good reckless explosion is most of the time, and it misleads you into playing careless even against shitty opponents.

Thanks Borat. I actually have to say that I already have your team saved in NB; just tried to make another tea that though having a similar structure works / is a little different. I'm stil thinking in mantaining the Champ+Wak offense and replacing Egg by [Clamp im thinking] Cloyster/Vap.

Missy over Gar was just because 80% of the RS Stars run Psychic in NB.

BTW, thinking about new Lax sets i came up with this: Curse, LK, FB, D-E. Probaly redundant against the current offensive/fail (I dont actually see any drawback in a balanced/fail team against an offensive BTW) teams unless they run 2 of Ghost, Steelix, Tyranitar, Rhydon, LSEgg, but can actually rape stall teams if you FB Skarm, LK Miltank and Curse D-E everything else, Reflect+Roar Raikou or RoarCune still stopping it few times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)