ORAS OU Two Stones, One Bird

Banner created by Sobi ! Huge thank you to him!

Hello people of smogon. Gotham Paladin here bringing you an ACTUAL well created RMT (well, I think it looks cool lol) as I have made a few before that were lackluster. One mon I thought always thought has a lot of potential is mega diancie. So this is a team I have been using since the laddering since the last OLT and I have fell in love with it ever since. It is my go to team and it seems to almost never disappoint. Has everything I look for which is balance and speed control. So here goes nothing, hope you guys enjoy!

So as I have said before, diancie is pokemon I am really comfortable with and just love to use overall. The typing + ability is what really sells me, and with the stats to back it up, makes it a great pick overall.

I love balance, and I wanted a pokemon that can deal with electric types + provide me with rocks and recovery. Hippowdown is a great choice overall, I think its very good in the meta right now, eating up SO many special hits that I need it to. Also having the bonus effect of increasing my diancie's sp def up with the sand.

Looking at it right now, I wanted a steel type for dragon types that can also take water and ice attacks if need to. Ferrothorn was a great option for me, as it lets me have a spiker as well as take on things like manaphy for me.

Something that seemed to really pressure me was zard y. I wanted something that can pass wisps to annoying pokemon like garchomp and ferrothorn and such. I was also looking for priority + something that can let me take wisps and beat stall, also being able to take on the oh so annoying clefable, all the features talonflame provides for me.

Having a talonflame, hazard removal was necessary. So I thought, why not do that while also abusing my sand? Excadrill fit perfectly here to me, not only did it give me great speed control, it lets me deal with annoying mons like clefable and spin reliably.

Theres a pokemon called Keldeo that currently 6-0s my team. Funny enough, just slapping in latios here seemed to do the trick after testing. Latios was a great choice for me as it loosened the stress of keldeos, but also giving me immediate power on the spot. Latios, being as splashable as it is, fit like a glove on this team.

Smoke Weed Erryday (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
As usual for my type of building style. I like to start with my defensive backbone first. I decided to go with hippo here. Great pokemon in the meta right now imo. It eats up any special attack I need it to bar super effective, and lets me set up rocks as well as providing sand for my excadrill and diancie. I made it special defensive as I felt physical defense did nothing for me that was too beneficial. Earthquake, slack off, and stealth rocks are pretty self explanatory. Toxic is there as because things like slowbro love to switch in, and if i can weaken fat mons like those, I can revenge kill them with things like my Mega Diancie. I considered stone edge but seemed it wasn't too necessary, as toxic did more for me I felt like. Leftovers is preferred over smooth rock, As this is not a sand team, and leftovers can make a difference between a 2 hit ko to a 3 hit ko.

MOLEMAN (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
Excadrill was a perfect choice in my eyes. I wanted reliable hazard removal, and with excadrill providing that with the bonuses of speed control plus reliable way of taking on clef, it had me sold. Earthquake and iron head there to cover the stabs. These moves are needed to be able to knock out clef and zards or talons who think they can roost in one hit if need be. Rapid spin, as I needed hazard control. Rock slide is there for things like talonflames and such who think they can set up. Maximized its attack and speed with an adamant nature, just to give it the max amount of damage. I prefer air balloon over life orb because balloon can stop earthquake sweeps, as well as being able to completely wall things like hippo if they're running my same set. Air balloon gives me a different way of playing a game which I appreciate.

Thornstar (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
I wanted something to compliment some of the flaws that hippo had for itself, as well as a bulky steel to help me take on dragons. Ferrothorn seemed like a solid choice for the things I was looking for. I made it more physically oriented, but added some special defense evs to take on things like kyurem b a bit better. Power whip is there for things like manaphy, having a reliable way of doing a lot of damage to them. Gyro ball for fast pokemon like the lati twins. Leech seed because ferrothorn needs as much recovery as it can get. And spikes is a great option, letting me punish heavily grounded teams. Leftovers seemed to be the most efficient, although I have considered things like shed shell as that can give me so much momentum. But ultimately decided it was not worth it in the end.

Red Bull (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
Looking at my team, I did not want to deal with things like Zard-Y or clefable. I wanted a solid answer to these threats that prevented me from getting ran over. Talonflame seemed great in this slot. Giving me an answer to these threats, as well as giving me great priority. I decided to go with specially defensive so it can switch in to these threats. I decided to go with a bulk up set as I think it is one of the better bird sets right now. Brave bird is a given, doing as much damage as I can. Bulk up sets up on a lot. Gives me a good option to win a game, as well as making the opponent easier to predict what their next move will be. Roost for the recovery, as I can rely on talonflame a lot. And will-o-wisp lets me potentially set up on things like lando t and excadrill, as well as having a great move to throw out overall, wittling a threat for another member on my team appreciates.

Drift (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Ice Beam
Latios is such a splashable mon. I wanted something that can take on keldeo for me as it looked like such a big threat to me at the moment. Maximizing its special attack and speed, standard spread. Draco is there for just being able to nuke my opponent. Psyshock helps me against fighting types, as well as giving me a accurate attacking stab. Roost is there for longevity, this thing is gonna be switching into keldeos so I need it healthy. Ice beam does look like an odd choice, but one pokemon that annoys me a lot is gliscor. Which can potentially run through my team. Ice beam also lets me deal with things like hippowdon which can otherwise threaten me. Life orb seemed like a great fit here, doing as much damage as I need while also switching up moves.

Rock Candy (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
Fairy types in general seem to be a big threat nowadays, and mega diancie is no exception. The great offensive stats and typing is what lured me in, and seems to never disappoint. Moonblast is pretty obvious choice, letting me having an accurate reliable attack to punish dragons, darks, etc. HP Fire is here for ferrothorn, I have used earth power before, but during testing ferro seemed more annoying to me then heatrans. Diamond storm is a great move, letting me beat flying types like talon and torn, and is a great option for clefables on the switch who think they can eat up some moonblasts. Protect is there to let me get my speed as well as having the added bonus of scouting what my opponents wants to do with say a scarf pokemon. I did not see a reason to add any attack investment for diamond storm, as it knocked out everything I needed to anyway.

Conclusion:
Overall, I think the team is very solid. I am most comfortable with it, as It can deal with every play style, while also fitting to my personal needs. But I am always open to suggestions, so fire away!

Threats:

Really annoying to deal with as most of my team cannot ohko it and it can recover or act accordingly. This is why I decided ice beam on latios.
With the right prediction, azu can knock out one of my pokemon. I can play around it however, with things like wisp and predicting the superpower, still a huge threat however.
SD Chomp can put a huge hole in my team if I allow it to set up. So this is a pokemon that I always need to watch out for.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-338461086
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-321314504
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-271177737

These matches were against some really good opponents that displayed how the team works! It can show you how the team can operate against competitive players, so take a look!

Smoke Weed Erryday (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

MOLEMAN (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Thornstar (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Red Bull (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Drift (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Ice Beam

Rock Candy (Diancie) @ Diancite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Last edited:
Hi, minor nitpicks:

Your talon spread is inefficient. It also looks like your team struggles versus stall & magic guard cm clefable. For that reason I would suggest the following set:

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

248 HP ensures 2 rock switch ins. No item acro gives you a Mon to eat a knock off from sharp (which also looks like it can give you trouble). Taunt + wisp allows you to break stall and helps versus gliscor - who you said can give you trouble.

Secondly I would suggest changing your Ferrothorn to either the standard utility spread - which accomplishes the same thing - or switching the nature to sassy to maximize the damage of gyro ball.

Thirdly: since you're not running swords dance drill, it might be beneficial for your team if you make your drill jolly. This lets you revenge opposing adamant sand drills.

Finally: I would suggest running 32 atk ev's on your diancie to get the ko on physically defensive zapdos after rocks.

Hope I helped & good luck on the ladder!

Last edited:
Sup fam, nice team and name change haha

First off, i'd consider changing your Talonflame's spread to 248 HP/252 SpD/8 Speed. This allows Talonflame to come into rocks from full at least twice before dying which can be the difference between a win and a loss. Also, you said that Gliscor was an issue to your team so I suggest Taunt>Bulk Up on Talonflame. Not only does this help v Gliscor (unless it's SD + a Rock Move) but bulky waters such as Quagsire and Slowbro, something that may also be a threat to the team, as your only way to deal with it is Ferrothorn which cannot afford to be burned.

Next, I think that Jolly>Adamant on Drill could also really be beneficial as you can beat opposing Excadrill's that run Adamant. Also I would go with SD>Rock Slide on Exca as your team lacks a solid wincon and Talonflame is handled by Mega Diancie + Hippo to an extent.

I mentioned Slowbro as a threat and and opposing bulky waters seem to annoy this team as well so I would opt for Thunderbolt>Ice Beam on Latios. Gliscor is already handled by Taunt Talonflame so imo Ice Beam isn't as necessary.

I'm not too sure what your Ferro spread accomplishes so I'm going to have to agree with user: aki0s on his suggestion to change your Ferrothorn spread to 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD Relaxed Nature. This spread allows it to deal with Kyurem-Black and Manaphy while still maintaining decent physical bulk.

Lastly, since I got rid of Rock Slide on Excadrill, you may want to opt for Stone Edge>Toxic on Hippo for Talonflame and Thundurus for immediate damage, however Toxic is still nice for bulky grounds such as opposing Hippos, Lando-Ts and Garchomps who hinder an Excadrill sweep.

Also tiny nitpick put 4 EVs into attack on Mega Diancie instead of HP b/c whynaut lol.

Aight thanks for reading and good luck with your team and in OST fam :]

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

PS: now everyone will know this squad sigh

Last edited:
Hi, minor nitpicks:

Your talon spread is inefficient. It also looks like your team struggles versus stall & magic guard cm clefable. For that reason I would suggest the following set:

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

248 HP ensures 2 rock switch ins. No item acro gives you a Mon to eat a knock off from sharp (which also looks like it can give you trouble). Taunt + wisp allows you to break stall and helps versus gliscor - who you said can give you trouble.

Secondly I would suggest changing your Ferrothorn to either the standard utility spread - which accomplishes the same thing - or switching the nature to sassy to maximize the damage of gyro ball.

Thirdly: since you're not running swords dance drill, it might be beneficial for your team if you make your drill jolly. This lets you revenge opposing adamant sand drills.

Finally: I would suggest running 32 atk ev's on your diancie to get the ko on physically defensive zapdos after rocks.

Hope I helped & good luck on the ladder!
I will definetly consider these options, I think you are completely right about jolly drill. Makes sense to do that so I dont run SD. And I never realized that diancies evs do that, this might help against clefables as well, thanks for the feedback!

Sup fam, nice team and name change haha

First off, i'd consider changing your Talonflame's spread to 248 HP/252 SpD/8 Speed. This allows Talonflame to come into rocks from full at least twice before dying which can be the difference between a win and a loss. Also, you said that Gliscor was an issue to your team so I suggest Taunt>Bulk Up on Talonflame. Not only does this help v Gliscor (unless it's SD + a Rock Move) but bulky waters such as Quagsire and Slowbro, something that may also be a threat to the team, as your only way to deal with it is Ferrothorn which cannot afford to be burned.

Next, I think that Jolly>Adamant on Drill could also really be beneficial as you can beat opposing Excadrill's that run Adamant. Also I would go with SD>Rock Slide on Exca as your team lacks a solid wincon and Talonflame is handled by Mega Diancie + Hippo to an extent.

I mentioned Slowbro as a threat and and opposing bulky waters seem to annoy this team as well so I would opt for Thunderbolt>Ice Beam on Latios. Gliscor is already handled by Taunt Talonflame so imo Ice Beam isn't as necessary.

I'm not too sure what your Ferro spread accomplishes so I'm going to have to agree with user: aki0s on his suggestion to change your Ferrothorn spread to 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD Relaxed Nature. This spread allows it to deal with Kyurem-Black and Manaphy while still maintaining decent physical bulk.

Lastly, since I got rid of Rock Slide on Excadrill, you may want to opt for Stone Edge>Toxic on Hippo for Talonflame and Thundurus for immediate damage, however Toxic is still nice for bulky grounds such as opposing Hippos, Lando-Ts and Garchomps who hinder an Excadrill sweep.

Also tiny nitpick put 4 EVs into attack on Mega Diancie instead of HP b/c whynaut lol.

Aight thanks for reading and good luck with your team and in OST fam :]

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

PS: now everyone will know this squad sigh
Ayyy thanks my man for the feedback. Ya, the ferro spread sounds more promising. And taunt does seem like a definite option, all right my man, I'll see how these changes work out! And ya, I guess everyone will know the team now lol but go big or go home. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)