Two Weathers...On One Team!? [Gen 5 OU]

Hey peoples of Smogon, smashlloyd20's back with another RMT. As you've probably figured out by now, this team makes use of two different weathers; Rain and Sandstorm. I've found that utilizing two different weather effects is a really cool anti-metagame strategy, and is totally unexpected. I play this team two different ways, which you'll read about in detail further into the RMT. But enough with the preamble. I present...the team!

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower

I adore Deoxys-A. There's not a lot that can take a Psycho Boost from it and remain standing. It's got Superpower, great coverage, and even strong priority. You might think you recognize this from my last RMT, but the set's been changed up a little bit. I've added Superpower to hit Tyrantitar and Doryuuzu that are not in the sandstorm. I usually use this Pokemon as my lead, as it can usually easily take out one or two Pokemon before it goes down. In addition, it's nigh impossible to switch in because of its paper defenses.

Tyranitar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Brick Break
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge

The first of my two Sand Stream users, Tyranitar is the more offensive of the two. Not many people are reckless with a Tyranitar, but because Hippowdon is waiting in the wings I can afford to use a Rock Polish Life Orb set. This set has huge power and speed, and can generally bust through a Pokemon or two before it goes down. Rock Polish and Stone Edge form the main offense of this set, Crunch can hit Psychics, and Brick Break is used to hit Steel-and Rock-types. He is generally brought out second to smash his way through any troublesome Pokemon, after which I bring out either Hippowdon or Politoed.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stockpile
- Toxic

Here's Hippowdon, my defensive Sand Stream user. He is used conservatively, just in case I need an emergency Sandstorm later in a match. Although he is mainly used for causing Sandstorm and Toxic/Stockpile abuse, he packs quite a punch with EdgeQuake and is a key part of my strategy for beating opposing Balloon Doryuuzu. He is one of the two Pokemon I bring out after Tyranitar, depending on if the opponent's team fares better against Manaphy or Doryuuzu.

Doryuuzu (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

Doryuuzu is one of my two endgame sweepers. If the opponent's team relies on frail, fast sweepers, this is my go-to guy. He hits a whopping 604 speed in a sandstorm, which outspeeds...pretty much everything. If he forces a switch, he can Swords Dance and really destroy everything. QuakeSlide is pretty much for coverage, and Brick Break sometimes allows me to beat opposing Doryuuzu, although I have to rely on a speed tie. He must always be brought in after Hippowdon to utilize Sandstorm, or Tyranitar if his Sandstorm is still going. If he is my final sweeper, he is brought out last; otherwise, fourth after Hippowdon.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hypnosis
- Focus Blast

Politoed is my Rain starter. He is not meant to hit hard, only to set up Rain. However, Rain-boosted Hydro Pump still hits hard. Ice Beam is mainly for coverage on slow Dragon-and Grass-types. Hypnosis is very unreliable, but can be a lifesaver when it hits. Focus Blast is honestly just filler, if somebody could recommend an alternative that would be great. If I am using Manaphy as my final sweeper he is brought out fifth after Doryuuzu, but if I am sweeping with Doryuuzu he is brought out after Tyranitar to set up Manaphy's mini-sweep. He is not designed for straight KOs but can generally kill something with Hydro Pump if he gets lucky.

Manaphy @ Life Orb
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam
- Rest

Manaphy is my other late-game sweeper. I use him instead of Doryuuzu if my opponent uses moderately fast but bulky Pokemon. He is not particularly fast but has more raw power than Doryuuzu, as Tail Glow now gives a +3 boost to Special Attack. After one of those, Surf will rip you apart unless you resist it. In addition, Manaphy can utilize Rest in combination with Hydration to essentially give itself free full recovery. Surf is my main attacking move, and Ice Beam is mainly used for coverage on Dragons and Grasses. Like Doryuuzu, Manaphy is brought out fourth after Politoed if Dory is my main sweeper, or last if Mana is sweeping.

So...that's my team. As somebody in this forum once said; love it. Hate it. Rate it.

Big ass Roopushin weakness after Deoxys bites it. He can easily set up on Tyrant, Hippo or Toed and then proceed to KO the rest of your team. Manaphy is your best bet but see as how Roopushin switches into Tyranitar you'd have to switch to Toed and THEN Manaphy and THEN Tail Glow and THEN attack it.

Regarding Manaphy, I know people like to sweep but Hydration and it's stats beg it to abuse Calm Mind. Imagine a 252 / 252 Bold Manaphy getting a an easy +2-3 with CM and then Resting. You're a walking tank immune to status, nothing can take you down! I don't know why more people don't abuse that set.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Jaroda is totally right. About the Roopushin weakness and the fact that Manaphy can pwn with CM. Nice team, I like the idea, and there is not a whole lot to change without wreaking team strategy.

100th Post YEEEEEEESSSSSSS.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
You should replace focus blast on politoed for toxic, allowing you to wear down many switch-ins and special walls that can cause problems for Manaphy. Double status Politoed is definetly your best bet. Also, Doryuuzu really appreciates entry hazards, so you may want to replace a move on your hippowdon or t-tar for stealth rocks.

I would suggest slack off over stone edge on Hippowdon, as the recovery is a very welcome addition to his arsenal. Also Earthquake is an option on Tyranitar over Brick Break.

As Xav pointed out, I'd take a more defensive approach with Hippowdon. Make it more defensive, and swap Stone Edge for Slack Off. You might miss out of flyers and levitators, but once they are poisoned and you get a few Stockpiles going, you can just stall em all day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)