Type Exchange (Looking for a server!!!)

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Approved by Eevee General

Banner by gamer boy

What is Type Exhange?
Type Exchange is a metagame where the typing of one pokemon transfers over to the next pokemon in the party. This forces the player to think a lot more about teambuilding because every pokemon literally affects the other. If you are still struggling to piece this together here is an example of a teambuilding process.

Scizor will give the next pokemon in the part
typing (Scizor's type will be decided by the last pokemon in the party.
Since Heatran is now a
typing only has 1 weakness to Fire I can use the new typing + Flash Fire to make it able to most special hits with no weaknesses. The next pokemon gains a

Hydreigon has access to
STAB with Flash Cannon and Fire Blast but also the rather convenient ability Levitate which makes it immune to its 4x weakness to ground. Hydreigon passes on its
typing.
Barbaracle can abuse his STABs on movepool with his now
making Dragon Claw and Night Slash as well as Shell Smash on Stone Edge or Poison Jab. Barbaracle's
typing transfers over to the next pokemon.
Tyranitar doesn't get to much out of the typing but provides some nice special defense boost to the team with Sand Stream.
does help out a bit and isn't completely useless giving it access to STAB Aqua Tail and Stone Edge as well as a Stealth Rock setter. Tyranitar can transfer its
to the final team mate.
Mega Heracross now has access to Knock Off and Rock Blast STAB thanks to it recieving
. This also allows it good coverage moves to help support its typing like Close Combat being able to get rid of Dark-types and Bullet Seed to get rid of Water types. Heracross'
tranfers over to the first pokemon in the party which is Scizor. This helps to boost Scizor's Superpowers and also still keeps Technician Bullet Punch to deal with fairy types since Scizor is now weak to it.

Every pokemon must not only function at its new role with its new typing but also support the next pokemon in the party.

Clauses
Standard OU clauses

Bans
Every Pokemon in UBERs
Gothitelle/Gothorita - reasoning - They are given an incredible type that can theoretically trap anything in the game.

FAQ
Q:
Does Mega evolution effects the pokemon's type?
A: It affects the pokemon that has the mega's typing. for example if the pokemon that was recieving Gyarados's typing was Latios it would be a Water/Flying type prior to mega evolving. But if Gyarados Mega evolves Latios then becomes a Water / Dark type.
Where can I play this at?
We are looking for a server to host us at the moment.

thanks forsureitsme
config/formats.js
Code:
{
    name: "Type Exchange",
    desc: [
        "&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/type-exchange.3556479/\">Type Exchange Metagame Discussion</a>",
        "&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/type-exchange.3556479/page-2#post-6547201/\">Gothitelle & Gothorita Quick Ban</a>"
    ],
    section: "Other Metagames",
    ruleset: [/*'OU',*/ 'Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview', 'Swagger Clause', 'Baton Pass Clause'],
    banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', /*'Shadow Tag',*/ 'Gothitelle', 'Gothorita'],
    onBegin: function () {
        [this.p1.pokemon,this.p2.pokemon].forEach(function(pokemons) {
            let last_pokemon = {
                types: pokemons[pokemons.length-1].types,
                typesData: pokemons[pokemons.length-1].typesData,
            };
            for (let i = pokemons.length-1; i > 0; i--) {
                pokemons[i].types = pokemons[i-1].types;
                pokemons[i].typesData = pokemons[i-1].typesData;
            }
            pokemons[0].types = last_pokemon.types;
            pokemons[0].typesData = last_pokemon.typesData;
        })
    },
},

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Just a quick question - how does this interact with Megas that change typings like Mega Gyarados? Using the Mega Gyarados example, I assume that if you have a Poison / Flying Gyarados and you Mega Evolve you would end up with a Poison / Dark Mega Gyarados, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also Kyurem-B looks very scary in this meta. Both Steel- and Electric-type are enticing options for it, and there are some neat dual types with those typings. The only real drawback is that you have to give something else Dragon / Ice which isn't the best typing at all, but Kyu-B is still a cool mon in this meta imho.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Just a quick question - how does this interact with Megas that change typings like Mega Gyarados? Using the Mega Gyarados example, I assume that if you have a Poison / Flying Gyarados and you Mega Evolve you would end up with a Poison / Dark Mega Gyarados, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also Kyurem-B looks very scary in this meta. Both Steel- and Electric-type are enticing options for it, and there are some neat dual types with those typings. The only real drawback is that you have to give something else Dragon / Ice which isn't the best typing at all, but Kyu-B is still a cool mon in this meta imho.
1) This will not affect the pokemon who is mega evolving like Gyarados changing into X type/Dark, I am talking it over with Eevee to see if maybe the pokemon who is recieving gyarados' type changes. Ex. Crobat is water / flying but when Gyarados mega evolves Crobat changes into Water / Dark

2) I get the feeling that dragon spam is going to be popular, If that first thing comes true I will expect Mega Ampharos + KB to be very popular

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
Looks really nice! I can see weather teams being quite popular with the ability to abuse the weather while not being weak to the types that for example in rain, water would be weak to.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Looks really nice! I can see weather teams being quite popular with the ability to abuse the weather while not being weak to the types that for example in rain, water would be weak to.
This would probably be pretty obvious saying this but I really want to abuse Mega Zor + rain due to the fact I can carry this to some nice pokemon in rain and pretty much have no weaknesses.

I'm all the way over here, but I can still smell the inevitable type immunity shenanigans. Mold Breaker's gonna be useful.

Hm. Chansey would enjoy Skarmory's typing -- physical Fire- and Electric-types aren't all that common (and won't be, given the low distribution of the appropriate moves), and something Pdef-inclined could stand to take its Normal typing for it... eh, I'm not gonna build a team for you, y'all can figure it out.

Something that would be interesting might be shunting Moltres' typing onto Magic Guard Clefable. Fire/Flying is a nifty defensive typing that Clefable gets the Fire Blast to use, and it shouldn't be that hard to find something willing to take mono-Fairy typing.

Adaptability will be very interesting in this meta.

Cool meta, can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I'm all the way over here, but I can still smell the inevitable type immunity shenanigans. Mold Breaker's gonna be useful.

Hm. Chansey would enjoy Skarmory's typing -- physical Fire- and Electric-types aren't all that common (and won't be, given the low distribution of the appropriate moves), and something Pdef-inclined could stand to take its Normal typing for it... eh, I'm not gonna build a team for you, y'all can figure it out.

Something that would be interesting might be shunting Moltres' typing onto Magic Guard Clefable. Fire/Flying is a nifty defensive typing that Clefable gets the Fire Blast to use, and it shouldn't be that hard to find something willing to take mono-Fairy typing.

Adaptability will be very interesting in this meta.

Cool meta, can't wait to try it out.
Hmmm, that Clefable thing got me thinking what types would Gothitelle want to receive to help it trap stuff.

canno

formerly The Reptile
I like the idea of Clef + Zard since we're talking about Moltres - especially if Clef can end up getting Fire / Dragon instead of Fire / Flying when Zard X megas. Of course, Zard X is going to miss its old typing, but it can do with something like Electric, Ghost, or even Steel.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I like the idea of Clef + Zard since we're talking about Moltres - especially if Clef can end up getting Fire / Dragon instead of Fire / Flying when Zard X megas. Of course, Zard X is going to miss its old typing, but it can do with something like Electric, Ghost, or even Steel.
Clefable will probaby have a lot of versatility to since these types can be changed into a more defensive purpose. For example since Scizor has one weakness to fire why don't you pass that to a Water pokemon, they will have a move to hit ground type pokemon on the switch in and can abuse that typing for there own advantage. Same can be said for passing Sableye's type to a pokemon with Steel-type moves.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys?

We have given Gothitelle good typing.

Let us all take a moment of silence to contemplate the meaning of our lives.
===========
On a more positive note, Wobbuffet benefits from gaining resistances and losing its nasty pursuit weakness. Gaining immunities also helps the speedy set, as it allows it to PP stall things by alternating between Counter and Mirror Coat on stuff like choice-locked Outrages, EQs and Thunderbolts. Lando-T, Gliscor, Sableye and Klefki seem like good candidates for type passers due to them providing dual immunities, although on bulky variants ur prolly better off trying to limit ur immunities (although dark ghost is still sweet if u don't mind becoming complete m-garde fodder).

Speaking of M-Garde, giving an -ate Pokemon STABs which complement its -ate type seems legit, for example giving Mega Pinsir Hawlucha or Lando-T's typing could make it scary.

Avalugg has gained useful defensive typing, making it a solid pick for stall and defensive balance with its gargantuan defense stat and pretty much replacing Skarmory in the role of Steel-type hazard remover.

Heatran seems like a seriously good donor; Steel/Fire is amazing defensive typing, and (Mega) Latias could make great use of it with Levitate and its good utility options. Steel/Fire with Limber for the ultimate status counter anyone? >:D Real men use limber heatfisk with Aspear Berry to be the true ice-type counter >:D

Actually, with the improved distribution of Stunfisk's amazing typing, I could see it becoming rather common for its ability to pass it, and its movepool has a lot of potential with other that allow it to make best use of its good stats. I can't think of much on the spot (generic heatran is generic).

All in all, this sounds fun :)

Edit: If we stick to the regular mega evolution mechanics (secondary type is replaced by a new type if a type is gained/changed for its user normally), Charizard-X would still be as scary as ever due to being able to receive primary fire from something like Heatran, Talonflame or Entei.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Guys?

We have given Gothitelle good typing.

Let us all take a moment of silence to contemplate the meaning of our lives.
RIP
On a more positive note, Wobbuffet benefits from gaining resistances and losing its nasty pursuit weakness. Gaining immunities also helps the speedy set, as it allows it to PP stall things by alternating between Counter and Mirror Coat on stuff like choice-locked Outrages, EQs and Thunderbolts. Lando-T, Gliscor, Sableye and Klefki seem like good candidates for type passers due to them providing dual immunities, although on bulky variants ur prolly better off trying to limit ur immunities (although dark ghost is still sweet if u don't mind becoming complete m-garde fodder).

Speaking of M-Garde, giving an -ate Pokemon STABs which complement its -ate type seems legit, for example giving Mega Pinsir Hawlucha or Lando-T's typing could make it scary.

Avalugg has gained useful defensive typing, making it a solid pick for stall and defensive balance with its gargantuan defense stat and pretty much replacing Skarmory in the role of Steel-type hazard remover.

Heatran seems like a seriously good donor; Steel/Fire is amazing defensive typing, and (Mega) Latias could make great use of it with Levitate and its good utility options. Steel/Fire with Limber for the ultimate status counter anyone? >:D Real men use limber heatfisk with Aspear Berry to be the true ice-type counter >:D

Actually, with the improved distribution of Stunfisk's amazing typing, I could see it becoming rather common for its ability to pass it, and its movepool has a lot of potential with other that allow it to make best use of its good stats. I can't think of much on the spot (generic heatran is generic).

All in all, this sounds fun :)
1) Wobbuffet, I feel this this is gonna have a fun time. Maybe paired with Gyarados to change its typing to its benefit to can help mid battle like maybe the opponent is using a lot of Ground types so you do mega evolve but on the other hand there are a lot of dark types so you would. I know you like your Wobbuffet so if this gets implemented into a server I wouldn't be surprised to see you revolutionize Wobbs.
2) This will probably have the same feel as AAA. Add a powerful move that gets a boost to complimant its type. Just it won't be as dispersed obviously.
3) Avalugg actually having a good typing call make it good on bulky offense teams. Unfortunately that mono-ice typing will have to be the bane of the next pokemon.
4) Heatran I think will be amazing (which is why I put it in as one of the pokemon in the link in my sig as well mentioning it on the "team building process"

On another note Zoroark is going to really fun to play around with.

1) This will not affect the pokemon who is mega evolving like Gyarados changing into X type/Dark, I am talking it over with Eevee to see if maybe the pokemon who is recieving gyarados' type changes. Ex. Crobat is water / flying but when Gyarados mega evolves Crobat changes into Water / Dark

2) I get the feeling that dragon spam is going to be popular, If that first thing comes true I will expect Mega Ampharos + KB to be very popular
Umm I don't understand. So if you mega evolve a Gyarados, the next pokemon is the one who recieve the type change, not mega Gyarados itself?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, if MEing changes the recipient's typing, Kyurem-B may need to be considered for its effect on the meta due to base 170 Atk+STAB Bolt Strike/Outrage from MAmphy+useful speed tier+bulk making it mostly unwallable, and having BoltBeam on Amphy would honestly be a complete godsend normally lol, while it can also run Focus Blast if it wants.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Also, if MEing changes the recipient's typing, Kyurem-B may need to be considered for its effect on the meta due to base 170 Atk+STAB Bolt Strike/Outrage from MAmphy+useful speed tier+bulk making it mostly unwallable, and having BoltBeam on Amphy would honestly be a complete godsend normally lol, while it can also run Focus Blast if it wants.
Oh gosh the KB that has a good second STAB

3) Avalugg actually having a good typing call make it good on bulky offense teams. Unfortunately that mono-ice typing will have to be the bane of the next pokemon.
For some reason, the first thing that came to my mind of things that wouldn't mind Mono-Ice TOO much is Porygon-Z. Adaptability Ice Beam/Blizzard will ruin so many dragons' days. Maybe Scarf it and it won't have to worry about it's lower speed stat. Of course it's got a lot of weaknesses now but Porygon-Z tends to leave taking hits to its younger sibling, Porygon2.

Of course then you got to find a recipient for mono-normal.

For some reason, the first thing that came to my mind of things that wouldn't mind Mono-Ice TOO much is Porygon-Z. Adaptability Ice Beam/Blizzard will ruin so many dragons' days. Maybe Scarf it and it won't have to worry about it's lower speed stat. Of course it's got a lot of weaknesses now but Porygon-Z tends to leave taking hits to its younger sibling, Porygon2.

Mono Normal? Of course you have a recipient. It's called Noivern. Why? Because this is another meta for it to get a STAB on Boomburst.

Martin

Eh lots of stuff wouldn't mind mono normal. Getting STAB on Nature Power, Hyper Voice and Return is sweet, and it is actually decent defensive typing due to its lack of weaknesses. Also Boomborked exists. PZ would prefer Rotom-F's typing tho for STAB BoltBeam.
Maybe we should ban Shedinja. I don't wanna run mold-breaker on every team so i don't lose to air balloon mono-electric shenanigans o_O
b-but Kyu-B and M-Amphy are amazing anyway... MB+rocks=EZ win

also status

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Mono Normal? Of course you have a recipient. It's called Noivern. Why? Because this is another meta for it to get a STAB on Boomburst.
Ah yes more Boomburst STAB
Maybe we should ban Shedinja. I don't wanna run mold-breaker on every team so i don't lose to air balloon mono-electric shenanigans o_O
Oh gosh, good thing the sample team has Tyranitar with Sand Stream.

I'm going to PM Pikachunn today to see if it can get coded.

I actually feel that Mega Evolving should give each Pokemon the mega-evo's default typing -- that is to say, Dragon/Ground Gyarados should mega-evolve into Water/Dark Mega Gyarados, without the next teammate's typing being affected in the process.

First of all, this is much simpler to understand and keep in one's head in-battle, which IMO should be a serious point in its favor.

There's precedent in things like Ability Exchange, where a Mega Evolution can take up an ability and Mega-Evolve to lose the ability, without affecting the thing it gave its default ability to or being forced to keep its default typing. AAA is another meta that treats mega-evolving as a blank slate. M&M does it differently, but it also doesn't have to contend with each mega-evolution affecting something else's typing, so I feel it's a less apt comparison.

And from a gameplay standpoint, this makes it much easier to "absorb" bad typings -- not completely, because it still has to start un-mega'd, but it definitely expands the pool of usable Pokemon and makes teambuilding a lot easier -- for example, it makes Avalugg/Articuno/whatever usable on defensive builds and can help circumvent subpar 6th-mons that exist just to absorb a bad typing and give away a good one.

Just my two cents. And yeah, Shan Bedinja.

Last edited:

Martin

Oh god what have I done...

Heatran (Wobbuffet) @ Custap Berry / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 244 Def / 244 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold / Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond / Safeguard

Wobb can no longer be toxic'd or Wisped! :) This will improve its trapping ability. If only I could beat Ground-type Mega Pinsir...

Heatran (Wobbuffet) @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 232 Def / 224 SpD / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Safeguard

Got 'em

Bold / Calm Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore

Wobb can no longer be toxic'd or Wisped! :) This will improve its trapping ability. If only I could beat Ground-type Mega Pinsir...

Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Safeguard

Got 'em
Yikes! Looks devious.

On the topic, has anybody found anything that makes good use of a mono-psychic typing? I have a team where Mew is inheriting a mono-Water typing, but I get stuck trying to find a recipient for its typing. Porygon-Z is a contender (running dual STABs in Psyshock and Psychic), but it doesn't get very good coverage for that typing.

EDIT: This isn't much of a post, so here's something.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation

Landorus-Therian @ Stone Plate / Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Shuckle can receive a worthwhile typing from whatever, while Landorus-Therian gets nuclear U-Turns and a STAB Stone Edge. Earthquake for coverage, Superpower for inevitable levitating Steel-types. Ground/Flying is a good typing to give away, as well.

Last edited:
Because this metagame is about teambuilding, here's an idea. Might be bad though, cuz it involves Smeargle.

Gliscor (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Mega Pinsir (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Spikes

Smeargle (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 52 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute
- Roost

So the idea is something like Pinsir with Aerilate + Ground STAB and Kyurem-Black with Life Orb STAB Return from 170 Attack with coverage to hit Steel/Flying types. Bug/Flying is a trash typing, but it doesn't matter because Smeargle uses it. For Dragon/Ice typing, Porygon-Z could be a recipient, though you need to find a Normal recipient again. Or you can use Feraligatr with LO Sheer Force Ice Punch and a Water type to recieve, which is better than Normal.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Bold / Calm Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore

Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Safeguard

Got 'em
I figured you would be first to make wobbs hell
Yikes! Looks devious.

On the topic, has anybody found anything that makes good use of a mono-psychic typing? I have a team where Mew is inheriting a mono-Water typing, but I get stuck trying to find a recipient for its typing. Porygon-Z is a contender (running dual STABs in Psyshock and Psychic), but it doesn't get very good coverage for that typing.
Mono-psychic is pretty bad, but I have found that infernape is not a bad pick. Yes it doesn't get anything but STAB hp psychic but it has the coverage to deal with all of psychic's weknesses.
Knock Off for ghost
Fire move for bug types
Fighting move for dark types

But look around maybe something else might appreciate psychic.
Because this metagame is about teambuilding, here's an idea. Might be bad though, cuz it involves Smeargle.

Gliscor (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Mega Pinsir (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Spikes

Smeargle (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 52 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute
- Roost

So the idea is something like Pinsir with Aerilate + Ground STAB and Kyurem-Black with Life Orb STAB Return from 170 Attack with coverage to hit Steel/Flying types. Bug/Flying is a trash typing, but it doesn't matter because Smeargle uses it. For Dragon/Ice typing, Porygon-Z could be a recipient, though you need to find a Normal recipient again. Or you can use Feraligatr with LO Sheer Force Ice Punch and a Water type to recieve, which is better than Normal.
Gliscor ---> Mega Pinsir, your not even using your new ground STAB but I like it.
Mega Pinsir ---> Smeargle, I geuss since you are going to sacrifice it anyways it makes for a good (this type is jank)
Smeargle ---> KB, not sure if I agree with this one because KB has SOOO MUCH FLIPPING POTENTIAL Maybe put the normal typing on Slowbro/king since they don't mind fighting types as much thanks to there psychic moves and like normal typing due to there only being one weakness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)