Typhlosion (QC Approved 0/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhlosion: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/157.shtml

Skeleton is done.

[Overview]

• Great base 109 SpA and good base 100 Spe.
  • Has STAB Eruption, which will cause pain to the opposing Pokemon at full health
  • Unfortunately, it is weak to Stealth Rock and has a bit of a shallow movepool.
  • Basically, until we get DW Typhlosion, it basically has the same old sets as last generation.
[Set]

name: Choice
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Electric
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
ability: Blaze
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Comments

• With Focus Punch being less available, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf basically have the same moveset; it's just a matter of choosing between higher speed or higher power.
  • Eruption, as detailed above, will cause massive pain at full health.
  • The other Fire attack is a matter of preference; Flamethrower is for accuracy, Fire Blast for power, and Heat Wave is a sort of a compromise between both.
  • Focus Blast is for Physically bulky Pokemon, especially Rocks (Regirock, Gigiaisu, etc.). Focus Punch is a good option only for Scarf sets.
  • Hidden Power Electric will hit everything resistant to the other two moves for at least neutral damage, if not super efecctive.
  • It's basically the same moveset as Choice Scarf from Gen IV.
Additional Comments

• Overheat can be used instead of Eruption if you don't want to risk losing power as you lose health.
  • Heat Wave can be used instead of Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Teammates and Counters

• Misprediction is your biggest enemy here. Be wary of opponents carrying Waters, Dragons, Flying types resistant to Fire, and Flash Fire Pokemon; however, Focus Blast or HP Electric will take care of these counters.
  • Garchomp will ruin you. Also, Blissey, being the special wall it is, will give Typhlosion a hard time.
[Set]

name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Solarbeam
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
item: Heat Rock / Life Orb

Set Comments

• The Fire Blast / Flamethrower choice is basically the same as it is in the Choice Choice set.
  • Solarbeam will wreck Water-types.
  • Hidden Power Rock is the best option this time around.
  • Heat Rock will extend Sunny Day, while Life Orb is for even more power.
  • It's basically the same moveset as it is in Gen IV.
Additional Comments

• Having another Pokemon use Sunny Day for you will openup another movepool slot.
  • Eruption / Overheat is the best option for the first slot if this is the case.
Teammates and Counters

• Drought Ninetails will help this set immensly, as Typhlosion will no longer need Sunny Day.
  • Other Sunny Day Pokemon do the same thing, but they'll need to switch back in every 5/8 turns to start it up again.
  • Other weather starters are the biggest threat to this set.
[Team Options]

• Grass-types can switch in to Waters and take them down.
  • Rapid Spinners can remove the very nasty Stealth Rock.
[Other Options]

• Extrasensory is an option over Focus Blast.
  • Reversal is another option over Focus Blast for at least hiitng the opponent for a lot of damage at low health
  • Lava Plume is an option if you want to burn the opponent.
  • Typhlosion can even run a mixed or Physical set, as it has moves like Earthquake and Flare Blitz.
[Counters]

• Specially defensive Pokemon in general are Typhlosion's bane.
  • Bulky Waters are a threat to sets without a Grass-type attack, Fire types and Flying types resistant to Fire are a threat to sets without a Rock-type attack.
  • Flash Fire Pokemon (Houndoom and Arcanine in UU, Heatran in OU) will wreck Typhlosion, although Heatran is weak to Choice Choice Typhlosion's Focus Blast.
  • It has a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock; not as bad as Charizard, but still not good.
[Dream World]

• Typhlosion gets Flash Fire in the Dream World.
  • Flash Fire is a bit of a godsend for Typhlosion, as it finally has a decent switch-in option.
  • However, A) it's not released yet, and B) Heat Wave is illegal with it.

In D/P/Pt Eruption was godly when I ran a UU sun team. Choice Scarf was my item of choice. As soon as Drought Ninetales gets released and rapid spin support from Donphan or other rapid spin users I would Expect for Typhlosion to run pretty rampant with his destructive Eruptions.

Heat Wave?

Five base power is totally not worth the loss in accuracy.

Also, why the fuck is focus punch there?
Solarbeam is terrible.

Typhlosion is too frail to set up its own Sunny Day.

Slash Timid with Modest on the choice set, probably as the first option. base 100 isn't THAT good.

Lava Plume shouldn't even be mentioned, Typhlosion can't use it with terrible typing and bad bulk.

I removed Focus Punch and added Timid.

Also, these sets are basically the same as Gen 4, so they haven't changed much.

Also, this is pretty much done.

Generation 5

I have to agree with the concensus that most of Typhlosion's sets will remain the same as in generation 4, however, their have been a few things to take into account. Nitro Charge makes physical sets more useful. Purgatory may come in handy on occasion. Flash Fire acts as a good switch in for full HP Eruption. Mostly however, Nintales with drought will be a large bonus for Typhlosion. Wtih Eruption for power, Flamethrower for dependancy, Solarbeam for Water/Rock/Ground, HP Ice for Dragon types, sash/Blaze and sunny day support, my Typhlosion has swept entire teams in Pokemon-Online.

I had hopped Typhlosion would have gained at least Earth Power in generation 5 to deal with fellow fire types (particularly Heatran). Well, here's hoping for a breedable move in the third game instalment.

I had hopped Typhlosion would have gained at least Earth Power in generation 5 to deal with fellow fire types (particularly Heatran). Well, here's hoping for a breedable move in the third game instalment.
It could also get it as a DW move.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Focus miss destroys heatran, and infernape can't switch into anything in the sun. That fire/bug moth thing counters it with flash fire though, with a base 100 SpD and resist to FB, hp ice, and immunity to fire.

I know, some idiot over at Game Freak must realy dislike Typhlosion to have not given him this move. It's esentialy earthquake, but special. why is it then that all starters can learn earthquake, but not earth power?

I have to agree with the concensus that most of Typhlosion's sets will remain the same as in generation 4, however, their have been a few things to take into account. Nitro Charge makes physical sets more useful. Purgatory may come in handy on occasion.
Nitro Charge isn't really that big a deal since Typh is already pretty fast, and most run Scarf anyway. :0 Purgatory is ultimately useless, as Fire Blast does more damage, and Typhlosion has no way of mitigating Purgatory's terrible accuracy.

Aside from Flash Fire, little has really directly changed with him, but the changes happening around him mean he could be more useful this time around too, remember. Definitely mention Droughtales in Team Support and stuff.

Please make the following correction regarding the format of your skeleton.

[Set]

name: Choice Choice
move 2: Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Fire Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Grass/Rock
item: Choice Scarf/Specs
nature: Timid/Modest
evs: 4 Def/252 Spe/252 SpA
Change that to this:

[Set]
name: Choice
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast (Heat Wave is not necessary and just makes the set untidy, maybe mention it in 'Optional Changes'.)
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Rock
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs

For the ev section there is a set order I'd like you to remember;p

HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe and don't forget to leave gaps between the stats and slashes.

Changed accordingly.

Also, changed the teammate section for the Sunny Day set since Drought Ninetails has been released.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Actually on the first set, HP electric covers all the pokemon you mentionned Super Effectively bar Shandera and Altaria who are regular effective to it. Since this is OU, I would rather mention Salamence and Dragonite than Altaria. Garchomp will also own you.

How can you call this done without mentioning Blissey as a counter?

Also, Typhlosion's attack stat isn't terrible.....would a mixed set be viable anywhere? He has a pretty good physical movepool, including Earthquake and Flare Blitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)