1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Tyranitar (Lead) | [QC: 3/3] [GP:2/2]

Discussion in 'Uploaded Analyses' started by LilOuOn, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck you spin mine head right round right round
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Before this leaves the QC stage I'd like to see the Additional Comments fleshed out a bit more. Please expand on what teammates would appreciate a Focus Sash Tyranitar. You've mentioned some opposing leads that this set is troubled by but you should also explain teammates that can help deal with leads that sashtar cannot do its job around.

Analyses like this need to 1) explain what the set does and 2) explain how it helps and is helped by your team, and so far you have sparsely explained the first and not really explained the second.

As a GP team member I'd also like to say that the purpose of the GP team is not to fix broken or insufficient writing. Someone writing an analysis needs to know the set well enough to formulate an adequate explanation for why and under what circumstances you are using a set; GPers aren't builders, we're trimmers. I know English is not your main language, LilOU, so I suggest you focus on a logical outline for an analysis before you start writing it, i.e. what would a player who is just trying out the set want to know other than what each move does? The purpose of each move is generally much more obvious than what Pokemon this set can support well or is supported by. Focus on the information is needed to make the analysis as helpful as possible, and the GP team can fill in the blanks on the vocabulary-- prose structure and having the information in there is much more important and is what should be the center of your attention. This kind of information is usually included in the skeleton phase, but that didn't happen and it is often up to the writer to flesh out the examples. I strongly suggest you add the information I have pointed out as lacking before a QC team member gives the third stamp.
  2. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn the hidden heart of the ocean
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

echoing what woodchuck said, not just ac but the article in its entirety needs to be expanded upon. don't make it fluffy, just add more pertinent information (matchups against certain playstyles, what the moves specifically do and why they should be used over other moves, etc.) and this will be qc'd quickly once that happens.
  3. Worldtour

Worldtour left: Hitmonchan right: rest of RU
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Why does AC talk about replacing Thunder with Thunderbolt and why are there calculations for Thunder on this set? Thunder isn't on the main set whatsoever.

Speaking of which, I honestly don't really like the damage calculations being there on this particular set, mainly due to the fact that the damage is less than impressive. 2HKOing Pokemon that are only somewhat bulky with super effective attacks is honestly not that great - if I hit something as specially frail as a 252/0 Donphan with an Ice Beam, I'd want it to OHKO it, not let it survive with quite a bit of its health remaining. Also, barely OHKOing a Tyranitar and uninvested Garchomp with a 4x Super effective hit isn't really that impressive, especially when the Ice Beam is maximally invested. Not saying that it isn't a good set, but those damage calculations aren't really that impressive. Something like 2HKOing walls with neutral hits / easily destroying resists is something that is fairly impressive.
  4. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Ok, I'm going to change the whole thing, thanks for your help!
  5. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Hey, i'd like for you to address a few things before we approve this.
    The first sentence is unnecessary fluff? I think it would be more beneficial to the reader if you skipped to the unbolded, since its straight to the point.

Calcs should be only use to emphasis the power of an offensive Pokemon; they're supposed to convey a feeling of POWER. (oh my god, this pokemon can actually do that?!?) Therefore, I don't think its necessary to list a bunch of "obvious" calcs (Ice beam will always ohkoes garchomp, Breloom has no chance of taking Fire blast, etc). You will have to flesh out the AC section in some other way; try to talk about what type of teams this kind of Tyranitar should be used on and mention potential teammates that appreciate Tyranitar as a dedicated lead.
  6. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Okay, thanks again and sorry for not getting this done, I have to make 2 extended essays and sometimes I only find time to enter the OU forum and check stuff (and post if possible). However, I'm going to do this no matter what.

EDIT: As well as Slowbro.
  7. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Ok, so I edited some things. It is not done yet, but I have to go right now and will add more tonight.

Speaking of the damage calcs, they may not seem incredible because Tyranitar only has 95 base special attack. This set is not going to wreck like a Choice Band terrakion, it is mainly to kill pokemons that it is not supposed to kill, so donĀ“t expect to get rid of mons with neutral hits because it is not going to work.
  8. AccidentalGreed

AccidentalGreed HOMERUN, CABRONES
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Here, I'll help you out a bit in presentation, even though this isn't in the GP stage.

9. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Oh, thanks a lot AG. Im on phone right now, so I'll be implementing those changes at 4pm.
  10. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis the Smogon Tour Season 16 Championis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

this set is good. i like it. now that it's written,

qc approved 3/3
  11. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Thanks BKC. I just wanted to get some advice about the damage calculations before this gets GP checked. PK and SR already told me their opinion, but there are not a lot of things that T-tar can damage significantly, so I just put the things that it is supposed to hit, otherwise, don't bother trying to kill specially defensive hippo, etc.

Damage calcs (open)

<ul class="damage_calculation">
    <li>Ice Beam vs. 200/0 Landorus Therian 109% - 128%</li>
    <li>Ice Beam vs. 4/0 Garchomp 107% - 126%</li>
    <li>Ice Beam vs. 252/0 Gliscor 119% - 141%</li>
    <li>Ice Beam vs. 252/0 Donphan 65% - 77%</li>
    <li>Fire Blast vs. 4/0 Breloom 121% - 143%</li>
    <li>Fire Blast vs. 252/168 Ferrothorn 90% - 107%</li>
    <li>Low Kick vs. 4/0 Terrakion 75% - 88%</li>
    <li>Low Kick vs. 252/0 Heatran 55% - 64%</li>
    <li>Low Kick vs. 252/0 Tyranitar 101% - 120%</li>
    <li>Thunder vs. 252/0 Politoed 55% - 65%</li>
    <li>Thunder vs. 252/0 Tentacruel 49% - 58%</li>
    </ul>
  12. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Removed the damage calculations after some C&C conversation. Ready for GP checks I guess.
  13. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego Currently experiencing a serious case of Dance Kittens
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Show Hide
    [SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rather than rely on sheer physical power, this set relays capitalizes on setting up Stealth Rock with ease while using its surprise factor to significantly damage common switch-ins checks and counters. This set can outspeed common checks and counters like such as Breloom, Scizor, Landorus-T and hit them with super effective moves, giving Tyranitar the opportunity to bluff a Choice Scarf set and start the game with a really good advantage. You would be wise to use this set only in offensive teams, as it is not supposed to keep intended to healthy for all the match, and just sets but rather just set entry hazards and possibly mess up weather teams' momentum helps somehow to not auto-lose against weather teams.</p>

<p>Crunch works as the main STAB move to deal with Latios, Latias, Espeon, (RC) and Xatu, (AC) two problems for other entry hazard-setting leads, and other Psychic-types. In the second slot we have an almost mandatory move, Fire Blast and, with it, Tyranitar can OHKO Scizor, Breloom, Forretress (if Sturdy is not active), (AC) and Ferrothorn (which has a 45% of OHKOing without rain). Low Kick hits Terrakion, Heatran, (AC) and opposing Tyranitar, all important targets and common leads, without having the drawback of the drop in two stats that Superpower has; it strikes a 2HKOes in the first two and a OHKOes on the latter. However, Tyranitar can run Ice Beam to always OHKO Landorus-T, Gliscor, (AC) and Garchomp, (AC) and other Dragon-types while 2HKOing Donphan.</p>

<p>It is important to be aware that leads such as Focus Sash Terrakion or Sash Garchomp are able to beat this set unless they set up Stealth Rock first turn while Tyranitar uses Low Kick or Ice Beam respectively and then kills them second turn., nevertheless; Starting the game 6-5, (RC) with a 1 HP Tyranitar and no Stealth Rock is not a good situation, and should be avoided. What are some ways to deal with this? It just seems a bit short on information </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are pretty standard: max Speed to outrun Adamant Breloom and max Special Attack to OHKO standard Ferrothorn 45% of the time. Hasty nature is there to maximize Speed without shrinking Tyranitar's attacking stats; Mild is also a nice option, but in return, Tyranitar always loses against Breloom. Other attacking moves include Thunder, which works great against rain teams, 2HKOing defensive Politoed and to deal some dealing good damage to bulky Water-types. Even so, it is not recommended because of its general unreliability outside of the rain. Pursuit can be considered if your team struggles against Latios and Latias, but remember that Tyranitar is not going to survive many hits. Earthquake works well hitting bulky hits specially defensive Pokemon like Jirachi, which otherwise gives Tyranitar a lot of problems, as well as Tentacruel, Tyranitar, Terrakion, (AC) and Heatran.</p>

<p>Pokemons that appreciate physically defensive walls out of the way are great teammates partners. That said, Terrakion is an awesome choice as the offensive sweeper, because Tyranitar easily lures in Landorus-T and OHKOes it with Ice Beam. In fact, every offensive sand team likes the help of the dinosaur, weakening or killing threats to your team. Considering it IS the pokemon that makes an offensive sand team, then this is largely useless fluff. If you need Scizor out of the way, go for Fire Blast, if but if you need Tentacruel out of the way to make your help Keldeo, a great Pokemon on offensive sand teams, sweep easier, go for Thunder. </p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]
  14. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Made the changes (except on the 3rd paragraph of Set Comments, gonna do tomorrow cause tired as hell). Thanks GDF
  15. MysticNova

MysticNova

Show Hide

[SET]
    name: Lead
    move 1: Crunch
    move 2: Fire Blast / Ice Beam
    move 3: Low Kick / Ice Beam
    move 4: Stealth Rock
    item: Focus Sash
    ability: Sand Stream
    nature: Hasty / Mild
    evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rather than relying on sheer physical power, this set capitalizes on setting up Stealth Rock with ease while using its surprise factor to significantly damage common switch-ins. This set can outspeed common checks,(comma) such as Breloom, Scizor, Landorus-T,(comma) and hit them with super effective moves, givallowing Tyranitar the opportunity to bluff a Choice Scarf set and start the game with a really good advantage. You would be wise to use this set only in offensive teams, as it is not intended to keep healthy for all the match, but rather justto set entry hazards and possibly mess up the momentum of weather teams' momentum.</p>

<p>Crunch works as the main STAB move to deal with Espeon and Xatu, two problems for other entry hazard-setting leads, and other Psychic-types. In the second slot, Fire Blast can OHKO Scizor, Breloom, Forretress (if Sturdy is not active) and Ferrothorn (which has a 45% of OHKOing without rain). Low Kick hits Terrakion, Heatran,(comma) and opposing Tyranitar, all important targets and common leads, without having the drawback of the drop in two stats that Superpower has; it 2HKOes the first two and OHKOes the latter. However, Tyranitar can run Ice Beam to always OHKO Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp and other Dragon-types while,(comma) and to 2HKOing Donphan.</p>

<p>It is important to be aware that leads,(comma) such as Focus Sash Terrakion orand Garchomp,(comma) are able to beat this set unless they uset up Stealth Rock first turn while Tyranitar uses Low Kick or Ice Beam and then killKOes them second turn. Starting the game 6-5 with a 1 HP Tyranitar and no Stealth Rock is not a good situation, and should be avoided.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are pretty standard: max Speed to outrun Adamant Breloom and max Special Attack to OHKO standard Ferrothorn 45% of the time. Hasty nature is there to maximize Speed without shrinking Tyranitar's attacking stats; Mild is also a nice option, but in return,causes Tyranitar to always loses against Breloom. Other attacking moves include Thunder, which works great against rain teams, 2HKOing defensive Politoed and dealing some good damage to bulky Water-types. Even so, it is not recommended because of its general unreliability outside of the rain. Pursuit can be considered if your team struggles against Latios /and Latias, but remember that Tyranitar is not going to survive many hits. Earthquake hits specially defensive Pokemon like,(comma) such as Jirachi, which otherwise gives Tyranitar a lot of problems, as well as Tentacruel, Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Heatran.</p>

<p>Pokemon that appreciate physically defensive walls out of the way are great teammates. Terrakion is an awesome choice as thean offensive sweeper, because Tyranitar easily lures in Landorus-T and OHKOes it with Ice Beam. If you need Scizor out of the way, go for Fire Blast, but if you need Tentacruel out of the way to help Keldeo, a great Pokemon on offensive sand teams, sweep, go for Thunder.</p>

I'll stamp after the extra 3rd paragraph info is added.
  16. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Ok, thanks mystic nova. I'm going to make the changes in 4 hours or so, on phone atm.
  17. sirndpt

sirndpt too cool for a custom title
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

sorry i don't mean to randomly butt in, but just wanted to point out that i don't think commas should be added there as it changes the meaning of the sentence quite a bit -

leads, such as Focus Sash Terrakion and Garchomp, are able to beat this set implies 'many/ most leads, a few examples of which are terra and chomp, beat this set'

whereas leads such as Focus Sash Terrakion and Garchomp etc reads more like 'terra and chomp are leads that beat this set'
  18. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Thanks sirndpt. Talking about the third paragraph...

The only answer I find for this is to not lead with Tyranitar (using team preview to take advantage of the situation) but, since this is a Lead Tyranitar set, it sounds kinda weird to suggest to not lead with the lead.

What do you suggest?
  19. tehy

tehy

Well, you can just attack first turn, then SR second turn. If you both attack first turn, you can probably deny the other team SR as they deny it to you, or you can just suicide to get SR up.
  20. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

I mentioned that in the analysis, however...

I need to add more info to get the 2nd stamp
  21. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Added the info. Waiting for Mystic Nova to get the 2nd stamp.
  22. MysticNova

MysticNova

Show Hide

That said, taking advantage of the team preview to identify if your opponent is using a dedicated lead that can put you in an immediate losing position helps, so you can save Tyranitarthe dinosaur for later.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

OK, sorry about the delay, I sort of died yesterday right as I got home.
  23. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

24. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

my avatar is fkin unreal

uploading, good work dude

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)