Tyranitar (Mega Support) [QC 3/3][GP 2/2]

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Won't lie - this thing took me by surprise. Motherfucker is tanky.

So I got some experience with this set and I'm at least comfortable with writing what it will want and the like. Luckily this particular Tyranitar is not a mon you really "build" around. I decided to emphasize on what this particular Tyranitar does:

- Check to Mega Gengar - provided SR is off the field
- Guaranteed to KO Latios while severely crippling Latias with STAB Pursuit.
- Great check to birds (Yveltal, Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Mega Salamence). STAB Stone Edge greatly threatens these Pokemon too. Also a good Darkrai check (please no Focus Blast).

[SET]
name: Mega Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Pursuit / Crunch
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Thunder Wave / Roar
item: Tyranitarite
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Impish
evs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock applies pressure to the opposing team by wearing down foes with residual damage. Both Crunch and Pursuit help with eliminating two common Defog users in Latios and Latias. Pursuit is preferred, as it prevents Latios and Latias from switching out of Mega Tyranitar freely. It also allows Mega Tyranitar to be used as an emergency check to Mega Gengar and Ghost Arceus. Crunch is better in situations where Mega Tyranitar wants to pressure entry hazard leads such as Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S. Stone Edge is a powerful STAB move that can OHKO offensive Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock damage. Thunder Wave cripples boosting sweepers such as Darkrai, Xerneas, and Mega Salamence that lack Refresh. It's also a great option to cripple Lugia, as Lugia relies on Roost to nullify its weakness to Stone Edge. Roar is an alternative option that prevents boosting sweepers from setting up on Mega Tyranitar, especially Xerneas, which can freely use it as setup bait. Toxic can be used over Thunder Wave to cripple bulky Pokemon such as Water Arceus, Lugia, and Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

Sand Stream gives an immediate boost to Mega Tyranitar's Special Defense. With the given EVs and an Impish nature, Mega Tyranitar avoids the OHKO from Mega Gengar's Focus Blast while being able to stomach hits from physical sweepers such as Normal Arceus, Mega Salamence, and Ho-Oh, notably surviving Mega Salamence's +1 Earthquake.

Mega Tyranitar's EV spread can be customized for different situations depending on what the team needs it to take on. 108 Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Latias and Mewtwo with Pursuit after Stealth Rock. In combination with maximum HP investment, 208 Defense EVs let Mega Tyranitar avoid the 2HKO from +2 Extreme Killer Arceus's Earthquake even after Stealth Rock, while 228 Defense EVs are enough to survive +2 Ghost Arceus's Brick Break. Finally, Mega Tyranitar can focus more on taking down special threats instead of physical threats. Specifically, a Careful nature with 156 HP and 208 Special Defense EVs allows Mega Tyranitar to survive Mega Gengar's Focus Blast. If Stealth Rock is off of the field, Mega Tyranitar can also tank one Focus Blast from Mega Mewtwo Y.

Usage Tips
========

This Mega Tyranitar set is used on sand teams that lack a Mega Evolution or wish to utilize Mega Tyranitar's defensive capabilities. The goal is to set up Stealth Rock and ensure that it is not removed by Defoggers such as Latios and Latias. Additionally, Mega Tyranitar can be used to Pursuit trap troublesome threats that try to flee from it. Crunch changes up the goal by bluffing Pursuit against Latios and Latias while dominating Giratina-O, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-S. While keeping Stealth Rock up is the main goal of this set, crippling foes with Thunder Wave is also crucial to prevent sweepers from dominating Mega Tyranitar's team. Bear in mind that Mega Tyranitar's lack of recovery and vulnerability to Stealth Rock can make this set inefficient at times. Failing to keep Mega Tyranitar healthy can put too much pressure on it against dangerous foes such as Mega Gengar and the various Arceus formes.

Team Options
========

Mega Tyranitar's best teammate is Excadrill, which utilizes Mega Tyranitar's sand to activate Sand Rush in order to outspeed threats such as Xerneas. As an added bonus, Excadrill can use Rapid Spin to prevent entry hazards from wearing down Mega Tyranitar while keeping Stealth Rock on the opponent's side of the field, unlike a Defogger. In exchange, Mega Tyranitar can take on Latios, Latias, and Giratina-O, all of which give Excadrill trouble. Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre can be great teammates despite being counterproductive to Mega Tyranitar's sand, as they benefit from the removal of Latios and Latias. Primal Kyogre also serves as a useful Primal Groudon check, while Primal Groudon can check Primal Kyogre and Xerneas. Because Latios and Latias are major roadblocks for them, Calm Mind Arceus formes appreciate the removal of such threats while providing an offensive presence for Mega Tyranitar's team. Clefable and Blissey are great clerics that can support Mega Tyranitar with Wish and potentially Heal Bell or Aromatherapy. Water Arceus is a great Defogger that can also cripple Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. In a pinch, Water Arceus's Judgment can be used to check opposing Excadrill as well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- Tyranitar is a great user of Stealth Rock - pressuring the Lati twins with the capability of crippling their Speed via paralysis or using Pursuit for forced defeats. Sand is also a free way to break Deoxys-A / S's Focus Sash.
- Pursuit is more threatening with Mega Tyranitar's boosted offensive and defensive prowess. The Lati twins cannot afford to run away from Pursuit as it will OHKO Latios and severely cripple Latias. Pursuit can also be used in situations where Mega Tyranitar has to take out specific targets such as a weakened Mega Gengar and weakened Arceus-Ghost (under most circumstances - there is roughly an 18.8% chance to OHKO).
- Crunch can be used to anti-lead Deoxys-A / S while cheesing through Giratina-O.
- Stone Edge is a little more mandatory in this set. Mega Tyranitar can easily survive a +1 Earthquake from Mega Salamence and OHKO offensive variants with Stone Edge (assuming Stealth Rock). Stone Edge also allows Tyranitar to tackle Ho-oh (watch out for burns), Rayquaza (watch out for Charti Berry), and Yveltal (watch out for Focus Blast).
- Thunder Wave is a great move to cripple boosting sweepers such as Xerneas, Darkrai and Mega Salamence lacking Refresh. It can also cripple walls such as Lugia that rely on Speed to Roost through surviving Stone Edge from other threats.
- Roar is an alternative that can force boosting sweepers out. Since Refresh is a common move on Defensive boosting Mega Salamence Roar will prevent Mega Salamence from setting up on Mega Tyranitar and using Roost to whittle through Stone Edge's PP. Roar and Stealth Rock can chip through the opponent's team.
- Toxic is worth a minor mention as Mega Tyranitar can attract Water Arceus, who otherwise can Defog Mega Tyranitar's Stealth Rock. Toxic also severely cripples Lugia and Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

- Sand Stream is necessary to immediately boost Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar's Special Defense - allowing it to switch into Special Attackers such as Darkrai lacking Focus Blast.
- EV'd to survive one Mega Gengar's Focus Blast (assuming no Stealth Rock on Mega Tyranitar's field) while being able to stomach repeated physical attacks from unboosted Arceus, Mega Salamence, and Ho-oh. Even a +2 Life Orb Earthquake from Arceus can fail to OHKO Mega Tyranitar most of the time (18.8% chance after SR).
- Remember what threats this set can take much more effectively than normal Tyranitar - in particular you want to use Mega Tyranitar as a Pokemon that completely threatens Lati twins as well as making sure Mega Gengar only KOes one Pokemon at worst-case scenario. Being able to take on physically offensive threats like Mega Salamence and KOing fully offensive variants is a huge plus.
- Even boosted Earthquakes (that aren't STAB) have a difficult time OHKOing Mega Tyranitar. +2 Arceus's Earthquake only has an 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock while +1 Salamence only does 65% tops. Even Adamant Life Orb Rayquaza can't OHKO Mega Tyranitar (EQ does 86% tops).
- Mega Tyranitar can be tailored to checking different types of threats if the team requires it. Even though Mega Gengar is a big reason to use this set, you can use Mega Tyranitar as an emergency check to other threats.Below are some EVs that can work well with Mega Tyranitar.
- 108 Attack EVs can be used to KO Latias and Mewtwo stepping into Stealth Rock with STAB Pursuit.
- 208 Def EVs guarantee survival of +2 Life Orb Earthquake from Arceus.
- 228 Def EVs guarantee survival of +2 Ghost Arceus Brick Break (no Stealth Rock).
- Max Defense will guarantee surviving a Precipice Blade from Primal Groudon... if that suits your style for some reason.
- Though Mega Tyranitar should focus on taking more physical threats, Mega Tyranitar can be catered to taking special threats as well. For example, Mega Tyranitar with a Careful nature can guarantee survival from Mega Gengar's Focus Blast once with 156 HP and 208 Special Defense EVs. If Stealth Rock is off Mega Tyranitar's side of the field you can also stomach one Focus Blast from Mega Mewtwo Y.

Usage Tips
========

- This set is useful for sand teams that lack a Mega Evolution or wish to use Mega Tyranitar's defensive capabilities.
- This Tyranitar's main goal is to Pursuit threatening Pokemon while stomaching attacks that can threaten Mega Tyranitar's team. If you're using Crunch the goal is to bluff Pursuit against the Latis while using Crunch as your method of clearing Giratina-O, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-S.
- Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave help support Mega Tyranitar's team greatly by keeping pressure on the opponent while crippling what could potentially be dangerous adversaries.
- Being able to take Mega Gengar's Focus Blast in a dire emergency is great; however, remember that entry hazards need to be off of the field in order to guarantee survival.
- Being a defensive Pokemon that lacks recovery and costing a Mega slot means that taking care of Mega Tyranitar is recommended - Wish support and / or Heal Beal / Aromatherapy support is greatly appreciated.

Team Options
========

- Excadrill can use Tyranitar's sand to outspeed threats such as Xerneas and threaten Mega Tyranitar's opponents with STAB Earthquake / Iron Head. Being able to spin is a huge plus as it helps keep Mega Tyranitar healthy while Excadrill appreciates having Lati twins weedwhacked out. Mega Tyranitar being able to at least scare non-WoW 'tina-O is a nice bonus.
- Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon request the removal of Latios and Latias. Primal Kyogre can be used as a Primal Groudon check while Primal Groudon can check Xerneas.
- Calm Mind Arceus can make use of Mega Tyranitar's threatening presence to the Lati twins and set up easier. Ghost Arceus and Dark Arceus appreciate Mega Tyranitar's capability of threatening Yveltal as well.
- Clefable and Blissey are great clerics that can also support Mega Tyranitar with Wish.
- Water Arceus provides Defog support while being able to threaten Primal Groudon and Defensive Mega Salamence. Water Arceus can also be used as a Excadrill check with STAB Judgment.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
You could mention alternative Rock STAB, Twave+Rock Slide can be really useful in a pinch while I've seen some people use Rock Tomb on this mon as it still does reasonable damage to what it needs to while keeping Mence manageable thanks to speed drops and its need to Roost. I'm not QC but I'd consider a moves mention for Rock Slide and merging Rock Tomb into OO when this is uploaded.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just wondering, what does this set do that the standard Shuca set doesn't already do? I mean if you have a free Mega slot it's probably pretty useful, but do you have any calcs on specific things that you need Mega Tar for?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The best I can give is the increased durability physically as well as the extra offense. You could also pump 112 EVs into SpD and get the same SpD as Careful max Tyranitar with enough to go into Def to make you tanky (though you're rockier on tanking some things).

For offense Mega Tyranitar's Stone Edge can OHKO offensive Mega Salamence (after SR) - assuming no Roost. You could also run with Crunch and really scare Giratina-O as well as the Deoxys-A / S leads that lack Superpower. A really big point for Mega Tyranitar is that it can survive a Mega Gengar Focus Blast and put it in a bad spot or downright OHKO it. The best part is you can customize Mega Tyranitar to be capable of taking different threats to your team. As an example a more Specially Defensive variation can guarantee survival against MegaGar Focus Blast (despite SR on the field) and even chance its survival against MMY with Stealth Rock off of the field. Those were some of the reasons listed in the current analysis.

For other reason consider if regular Tyranitar is on a defensive team it may switch in and out multiple times. There may be instances where a Pokemon like Rayquaza or Arceus will predict a Tyranitar switch-in and Earthquake off the Shuca Berry. Though the Shuca Berry is a great one-time use item and there are arguably difficult situations to justify when a Tyranitar might use its Shuca Berry, the major point is once the item is used up it takes a lot of damage from Earthquake afterwards. Here's an idea how really vulnerable Tyranitar gets when Shuca Berry is down:

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 320-377 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Compare this to current EV'd Mega Tyranitar:

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 198-234 (49.1 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

This also means in a situation where Shuca Berry has been used up regular Tyranitar cannot risk being a check to threats like Rayquaza. Though Tyranitar is a great check once to Rayquaza it cannot repeat the process over and over again. There are also instances where Charti Ray has Aqua Tail - which 2HKOes regular support Tyranitar and not the Mega variant.

Another minor example is Ghost Arceus - Mega Tyranitar can be EVd to survive a +2 Brick Break with no Stealth Rock on the field.

Honestly to answer your question shrang - it highly depends on Mega Tyranitar's team and what the team needs addressed. There are a few things this Tyranitar does better than Shuca Tyranitar - one minor example would be instances where Shuca Berry was used (can happen in bulkier teams where there's Wishpassing and the like, etc).

I guess what I am saying is - the question is a little loaded since Shuca Tyranitar does handle some things worse than Mega Tyranitar, but prior to Shuca Berry being used Tyranitar does better in other instances.

Nayrz and Krauersaut might have more to add into this as well. Basically a brunt of the reasons are in the comments already while there are additional circumstances as well. Mega Tar does handle some mons a bit easier than regular Tyranitar (Deoxys formes, Giratina-O, OHKO on Latios with Pursuit is nice, OHKO offensive Mega Mence) and can be EVd to take on other threats more reliably than regular Tyranitar (Mega Gengar, MMY, Yveltal, Arceus-Ghost, Ray with potentially either Aqua Tail or EQ).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
By the way I have no objection to Rock Slide in moves since the combination of Thunder Wave and Rock Slide still puts Defensive MegaMence in a shoddier situation.

Also thanks for the check. Will write up soon

Last edited:
Seriously why even bother using this? On stall you forfeit the ability to use a bouncer, and on balance you run sr pdon. Exca+ttar teams need mence to function, it wont really be that much fun to cover the ground weak with some mon like latias alone cause you need that to explicitly check ogre on those builds (due to no pdon).

On second thought, you could probably get away with lugia as a substitute for mence, but eh I'm not really sold. Guess I am missing something...

Last edited:
hack's post is way too presumptuous and makes several logical leaps based solely in theory

this is fine though. 2/3

hack's post is way too presumptuous and makes several logical leaps based solely in theory

this is fine though. 2/3
Show me a good build with the set and ill approve

But actually, instead of just making this a one-liner slugfest I'm gonna ask a question (to everyone): since when do we pull out that have seen 0 usage in competitive play and make them part of the analysis? I thought analyses' main goals are to showcase what sets are viable and used in the current metagame, this set isn't one. It doesn't matter how many "logical leaps" I make or how "presumptuous" my posts are- because on what planet did this set actually exist before someone just put together these moves and evs on this mon? No offense, I mean can definitely see mega ddttar having a small niche in the metagame (and I've seen some decent enough builds where this is showcased), but I have never seen anyone actually considering or using this set in a manner where it would be worth to sacrifice the mega slot for it's supposed advantages: attack and (physical) bulk.

I guess secrecy is fine if you guys really have some great builds with the set, but until there is some actual transparency with how to actually make decent enough teams with this mons you'll just have to live with me being grumpy.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Even though I haven't written this up, in theory this would be 3/3 for QC. Before I move on to writing this I would like to ask if I need to present more information about this set or if I can move on. I understand Hack 's concern but I need to know if I personally need to address this, other QC members, or if I move on and just write the set.

All the points in Colonel_M's post about Support Mega Tyranitar being a much better Rayquaza/Salamence/Gengar/Lati check is true and I agree. But the lack of recovery sucks though and most of the time, not worth losing the Mega Slot. Offensive DD Mega TTar actually has a viable niche and it also checks Rayquaza/Mence/Lati/Ghostceus with real offensive pressure.

The Mega Bouncers are much more important to stall and the only way for this Support Mega Tyranitar to be used effectively is probably on sand teams :( Most teams prefer to use Primal Groudon as their Stealth Rock user. I actually tried using Support Mega Tyranitar before but I was disappointed despite it's amazing bulk, it has no recovery (You need Wish Support, but stall doesn't like you. Ex: coming in on Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire, if it burns you are losing health way too fast and at that point, you can't check DD Rayquaza anymore) and thought to myself why am I not using a more useful Mega to patch up the team's weakness instead of an improved Tyranitar. I will rather use Mega Gyarados + Tyranitar over Support Mega Tyranitar in the same Ubers team.

Good thing about Mega Tyranitar is like what Colonel_M said, it checkmates Latias with ease but that is also something regular Tyranitar can do, albeit a bit worse. Mega Gengar with Focus blast deals way too much damage and that means you are keeping a full health Tyranitar just to trap that Gengar.

tl;dr, but i agree with what shrang and Hack said, it is really only useful for those teams who don't want to use another Mega. Most of the time the one-time Shuca Berry Tyranitar + another Mega like Salamence is better.

PGroudon/Mega Tyranitar/Blissey/Giratina-O/Excadrill/Lugia --> Probably a bad team anyway. I don't like Giratina-O as a Defog user even with Wish Support but you need the extra check to ExtremeKiller Arceus/Mence/Groundceus. Lati just fails and the ground immunity is too useful. Arceus over someone can work but I just randomly throw in Blissey for the biggest Wish and checks Primal Kyogre and Xerneas, although quite shitty at that. Hates Mega Sableye, maybe add Clefable over Blissey :[ Primal Kyogre >> PGroudon, means no more PKyogre check.

Not QC and away most of the time but I find it hard to justify using a Support Mega Tyranitar. Hopefully someone can find a great team for this set :)

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
If you felt cheesy you probably would want to use this kind of Tyranitar on a more balanced sand team.

MTar / Exca / Blissey / Lugia / PDon / POgre could probably work okay. It's kind of vulnerable to some shenanigans like Spikes more than anything, but Exca could go for the spin shenanigans to help the team out. Originally I swapped Blissey and Lugia for Ho-oh and 'tina-O, which -kind- of worked. On second thought that team ptobably wants Arceus over POgre - maybe Water for more defensive support. Maybe one of the Calm Minders could work too but the big ones (Dark and Ghost) only fear Yveltal and then Rock just adds more issues to taking on PDon.

I am with trickroom though - this was a set I had a hard time really finding a reason to fit this kind of Tar in. Hack is completely right on the reliance of Mega Sableye in stall teams, which severely limits the promise of Mega Tyranitar in a stellar environment.

From what I can possibly propose to add here is that MTar could potentially play with its strengths on shutting down Defog users and switch-ins while still retaining a potential Rayquaza / Mega-Mence check. Im sure there is something that can work with this... but it is harder to justify and defend than DD Mega Tar IMO.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
qc rejected 1/3

i largely agree with hack's sentiments but have a few of my own to add. for starters, who actually uses this? i don't think i've ever seen a tour (or ladder, for that matter) game with it, which isn't grounds for rejection on its own... but this obviously isn't a part of the metagame. If this goes on site, the people brave enough to try it after reading the analysis are gonna be more or less the first people using it. that is a bit of an issue.

additionally, i think there's very big opportunity cost to using this thing. sand is a play-style with several inherent weaknesses and this doesn't patch up any of them like a more useful mega like salamence or mega sableye can. it simply checks what tyranitar already does, just better. is this really a niche big enough to justify an analysis? i mean, regular tyranitar still checks things like darkrai, yveltal, and latios fine; it doesn't need the additional bulk and doesn't appreciate losing its item, even, sometimes. it lives mega gengar focus blast from full without rocks up which is cool i guess... i'm not sure in what world this scenario ever actually occurs, though.

basically i think this detracts from teams more than it adds to them so i can't endorse its use to newer players

please write this up ASAP (nayrz / dice / myself all support this getting an analysis, but it's kinda borderline o_o). will reassign or lock over the weekend if it isn't

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
please write this up ASAP (nayrz / dice / myself all support this getting an analysis, but it's kinda borderline o_o). will reassign or lock over the weekend if it isn't
I was waiting to see if others would reject it, but if we want to have this written up I will do it.

there's three people that support it, i'll give you the following week to write it up as well but definitely do this :)

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With bolstered offensive and defensive prowess thanks to Mega Evolution, Mega Tyranitar can make an optional support for sand teams to use. (This belongs in usage tips) Stealth Rock is the crux of the set (are you serious...?) - applying applies pressure onto the opposing team with by wearing down foes with residual damage. As an added bonus, Both Crunch or and Pursuit help with eliminating two common Defog users in -(RH) Latios and Latias. Pursuit is the move of choice preferred, as it prevents Latios and Latias from switching freely from out of Mega Tyranitar freely. As an added bonus, It also allows Mega Tyranitar can to be used as an emergency check to Mega Gengar and Ghost Arceus-Ghost. (I've been told that Mega Tar can't really Pursuit trap these two Ghosts. Could be wrong though.) Crunch is better in situations where Mega Tyranitar wants to pressure Anti-Leads entry hazard leads (I wouldn't really call them anti-leads) such as Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S. Stone Edge has a bigger impact than Rock Slide in this set. With Stealth Rock, Mega Tyranitar is a powerful STAB move that can OHKO Offensive offensive Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock damage while surviving a boosted Earthquake. (This belongs in set details) Thunder Wave cripples boosting sweepers such as Darkrai, Xerneas, and Mega Salamence that lack Refresh. It's also a great option to cripple Lugia, (AC) as Lugia relies on Roost to nullify its weakness to Stone Edge. Roar is also an alternative option that prevents boosting sweepers from setting up on Mega Tyranitar, (AC) - (RH) especially Xerneas, which can who may freely use Mega Tyranitar it as an opportunity to set(remove space)up on bait. Toxic is a move to possibly replace can be used over Thunder Wave to cripple bulky Pokemon such as Water Arceus, Lugia, and Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

Sand Stream is the ability of choice as it gives an immediate boost to Mega Tyranitar's Special Defense. With the given EVs and an Impish nature, and assuming no Stealth Rock Mega Tyranitar can survive one avoids the OHKO from Mega Gengar's Focus Blast while being able to stomach hits from physical sweepers such as Arceus (Which one?), Mega Salamence, and Ho-oh Ho-Oh, notably surviving Mega Salamence's +1 Earthquake.

This variant of Mega Tyranitar's EV spread can be customized with its EVs for different situations depending on what Tyranitar's the team needs Tyranitar it to take on. After Stealth Rock, 108 Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Latias and Mewtwo with STAB Pursuit after Stealth Rock. In combination with maximum HP investment, 208 Defense EVs guarantee survival of +2 Life Orb Earthquake from let Mega Tyranitar avoid the 2HKO from +2 Extreme Killer Arceus's Earthquake even after Stealth Rock, while 228 Defense EVs guarantee survival of are enough to survive +2 Ghost Arceus's Brick Break, though the latter assumes Stealth Rock is not on the field. Bear in mind the Defense EVs still require Tyranitar to keep the EVs invested into HP as well. Finally, Mega Tyranitar can focus more into on taking down special threats instead of physical threats. A Careful nature Mega Tyranitar with 156 HP and 208 Special Defense EVs allows Mega Tyranitar to guarantee survival from survive Mega Gengar's Focus Blast. If Stealth Rock is off of the field, (AC) Mega Tyranitar can also stomach tank one Focus Blast from Mega Mewtwo Y.

Usage Tips
========

With this set This Mega Tyranitar set is used on sand teams that lack a Mega Evolution or wish to use utilize Mega Tyranitar's defensive capabilities. This set's The goal is to lay set up Stealth Rock and assure ensure that it is not taken out removed by Defoggers threats such as Latios and Latias. Meanwhile Additionally, Mega Tyranitar can be used to Pursuit trap troublesome threats that try to flee from it. Crunch changes up the goal by bluffing Pursuit against the Latios and Latias twins while using Crunch to dominate dominating Giratina-O, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-S. While keeping Stealth Rock up is a huge the main goal of this set, crippling opponents foes with Thunder Wave is also crucial to prevent sweepers from dominating Mega Tyranitar's team. Bear in mind that Mega Tyranitar's lack of recovery and need of vulnerability to Stealth Rock not being on its side of the field is critical to maximum efficiency of the can make this set inefficient at times. (I think this is what you were trying to say?) Failing to do so keep Mega Tyranitar healthy can put too much pressure on Mega Tyranitar it against dangerous opponents foes such as Mega Gengar and the various forms of Arceus formes.

Team Options
========

Mega Tyranitar's best teammate is Excadrill, which. Excadrill utilizes the Mega Tyranitar's sand to double its Speed while activate Sand Rush, allowing it to outspeeding threats such as Xerneas. As an added bonus, (AC) Excadrill can use Rapid Spin to help support prevent entry hazards from wearing down Mega Tyranitar while keeping Stealth Rock on the opponent's side of the field, unlike a Defogger. In exchange, Mega Tyranitar will can take on Latios, Latias, and Giratina-O, all of which give Excadrill trouble much more effectively. (Idk how accurate this is, but "in exchange" implies that this is pretty accurate, so...) Though slightly counterintuitive to sand Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre can be major great teammates for Mega Tyranitar despite being counterintuitive to Mega Tyranitar's sand, as they benefit from the removal of Latios and Latias is beneficial for the Primal beasts. Primal Kyogre also serves as a useful Primal Groudon check, (AC) while Primal Groudon can check Primal Kyogre and Xerneas. Since Because Latios and Latias are major roadblocks for them, Calm Mind Arceus formes appreciate the removal of such threats while providing an offensive presence to for Mega Tyranitar's team. As noted before Mega Tyranitar does require support as well. (I find this to be fluff, but if you disagree then it can stay.) Clefable and Blissey are great clerics that can support Mega Tyranitar with Wish and potentially use Heal Bell or Aromatherapy. Water Arceus is a great Defogger that can also cripple user while crippling Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. In emergencies a pinch, Water Arceus's STAB Judgment can be used to check opposing Excadrill as well.
GP 1/2

Last edited:
Colonel M
implement the check pls

if you are concerned about a 4th qc check i'll be honest- we do not have another active qc member to give this a 4th or else they would have posted already (unless Fireburn is able) and it is not needed anyway when the opinion is 3 to 2.

edit: if you are referring to a "third check" aka someone to look over the grammar and stuff i can get that looked over with QC on IRC but theres already a GP check ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Colonel M
implement the check pls

if you are concerned about a 4th qc check i'll be honest- we do not have another active qc member to give this a 4th or else they would have posted already (unless Fireburn is able) and it is not needed anyway when the opinion is 3 to 2.

edit: if you are referring to a "third check" aka someone to look over the grammar and stuff i can get that looked over with QC on IRC but theres already a GP check ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I meant QC check.

I'll implement the GP check in a few.

EDIT: Added.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
GP 2/2
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock applies pressure to the opposing team by wearing down foes with residual damage. Both Crunch and Pursuit help with eliminating two common Defog users in Latios and Latias. Pursuit is preferred, as it prevents Latios and Latias from switching out of Mega Tyranitar freely. It also allows Mega Tyranitar to be used as an emergency check to Mega Gengar and Ghost Arceus. Crunch is better in situations where Mega Tyranitar wants to pressure entry hazard leads such as Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S. Stone Edge is a powerful STAB move that can OHKO offensive Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock damage. Thunder Wave cripples boosting sweepers such as Darkrai, Xerneas, and Mega Salamence that lack Refresh. It's also a great option to cripple Lugia, (AC) as Lugia relies on Roost to nullify its weakness to Stone Edge. Roar is an alternative option that prevents boosting sweepers from setting up on Mega Tyranitar, especially Xerneas, which can freely use it as setup bait. Toxic can be used over Thunder Wave to cripple bulky Pokemon such as Water Arceus, Lugia, and Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

Sand Stream gives an immediate boost to Mega Tyranitar's Special Defense. With the given EVs and an Impish nature, Mega Tyranitar avoids the OHKO from Mega Gengar's Focus Blast while being able to stomach hits from physical sweepers such as Normal Arceus, Mega Salamence, and Ho-Oh, notably surviving Mega Salamence's +1 Earthquake.

Mega Tyranitar's EV spread can be customized for different situations depending on what the team needs it to take on. 108 Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Latias and Mewtwo with Pursuit after Stealth Rock. In combination with maximum HP investment, 208 Defense EVs let Mega Tyranitar avoid the 2HKO from +2 Extreme Killer Arceus's Earthquake even after Stealth Rock, while 228 Defense EVs are enough to survive +2 Ghost Arceus's Brick Break. Finally, Mega Tyranitar can focus more on taking down special threats instead of physical threats. Specifically, (AC) a Careful nature with 156 HP and 208 Special Defense EVs allows Mega Tyranitar to survive Mega Gengar's Focus Blast. If Stealth Rock is off of the field, Mega Tyranitar can also tank one Focus Blast from Mega Mewtwo Y.

Usage Tips
========

This Mega Tyranitar set is used on sand teams that lack a Mega Evolution or wish to utilize Mega Tyranitar's defensive capabilities. The goal is to set up Stealth Rock and ensure that it is not removed by Defoggers such as Latios and Latias. Additionally, Mega Tyranitar can be used to Pursuit trap troublesome threats that try to flee from it. Crunch changes up the goal by bluffing Pursuit against Latios and Latias while dominating Giratina-O, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-S. While keeping Stealth Rock up is the main goal of this set, crippling foes with Thunder Wave is also crucial to prevent sweepers from dominating Mega Tyranitar's team. Bear in mind that Mega Tyranitar's lack of recovery and vulnerability to Stealth Rock can make this set inefficient at times. Failing to keep Mega Tyranitar healthy can put too much pressure on it against dangerous foes such as Mega Gengar and the various Arceus formes.

Team Options
========

Mega Tyranitar's best teammate is Excadrill, which utilizes Mega Tyranitar's sand to activate Sand Rush, allowing it in order to outspeed threats such as Xerneas. As an added bonus, Excadrill can use Rapid Spin to prevent entry hazards from wearing down Mega Tyranitar while keeping Stealth Rock on the opponent's side of the field, unlike a Defogger. In exchange, Mega Tyranitar can take on Latios, Latias, and Giratina-O, all of which give Excadrill trouble. Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre can be great teammates despite being counterintuitive counterproductive to Mega Tyranitar's sand, as they benefit from the removal of Latios and Latias. Primal Kyogre also serves as a useful Primal Groudon check, while Primal Groudon can check Primal Kyogre and Xerneas. Because Latios and Latias are major roadblocks for them, Calm Mind Arceus formes appreciate the removal of such threats while providing an offensive presence for Mega Tyranitar's team. Clefable and Blissey are great clerics that can support Mega Tyranitar with Wish and potentially Heal Bell or Aromatherapy. Water Arceus is a great Defogger that can also cripple Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. In a pinch, Water Arceus's Judgment can be used to check opposing Excadrill as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)