move 4: Crunch / Taunt
item: Tyranitarite
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
- DD for sweeping and outruns everything up to Mewtwo at +1. Stone Edge wrecks a lot of shit, including Salamence, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Yveltal, Rayquaza and other Flying dudes.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 166-196 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 308-366 (93 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 129-153 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Arceus-Water: 193-228 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage

- Crunch eats Latias, Latios, Mewtwo, Lugia, Giratina-O, Ghost Arceus, Ferrothorn, Bronzong and is a good move to throw around thanks to reliability and good neutral coverage and 20% def drops. STAB Crunches are sexy and is your best move vs Ground Arceus. You survive an EQ and 2HKO back with +1 Crunch.
- Earthquake cause Primal Groudon is the #1 common switch in. You outrun Support PDon and 2HKO it after rocks. Also punishes Diancie, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Lucario, Dialga and most Steel-types.
- Taunt breaks Defensive teams and can be used over Crunch. It blocks status from Support Arceus and phazing from Lugia. It allows Tyranitar to break past otherwise would be checks such as Will-o-Wisp Dragon Arceus or Ice Beam Water Arceus.
- Low Kick can be used to OHKO opposing Tyranitar and OHKO Arceus and Dialga at +1 but is useless otherwise.

Set Details
========

-Mega Tyranitar beats most Defensive Pokemon such as Giratina-O and Lugia. STAB Stone Edge means Salamence will think twice about switching in.
- Has huge bulk even with no Def investment. You setup all over Darkrai, Yveltal and Mewtwo lacking Focus Blast. Darkceus is a free lunch. Grab a DD vs Ghostceus and OHKO it with +1 Crunch. Switch in on Latias and friends. Pair with things that enjoy PDon and Lugia weakened such as Xerneas or you own PDon.
- Resists priority except for the rare Bullet Punch. Lucario isn't coming in on Earthquake. You survive Bullet Punch anyway.

4 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 306-360 (89.7 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Arceus-Ghost Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 220-260 (64.5 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
208+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 213-252 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Arceus-Ghost Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 232-276 (68 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Usage Tips
========
- You need max Speed to outrun Mewtwo, Darkrai and Shaymin-S at +1.
- Reaches 265 Speed, enough to get the jump on most base 90s, Xerneas and Yveltal. On the mega evolution, turn you are stuck at 244 Speed so keep that in mind.
- Grab a DD when you get a chance and start wrecking stuff. Checks Mega Salamence as well, you survive a +1 EQ after rocks.
- Spam Stone Edge when you are not sure what is coming in, PDon doesn't resist that move! Primal Kyogre hates it as well and Defensive variants has to take 2 hits before they can retaliate.
- Crunch or Taunt beats walls.
- Play carefully around Mega Sableye, because that thing halts you as long as it isn't Mega yet. Burns own you, paralysis stops you so keep those in mind. EQ makes Klefki think twice before coming in.
- In fairness if Tyranitar gets +1 on PDon, it can beat PDon one-on-one. If you want to go for the absolute ballsy route you can try for 84 Def EVs. Provided no SR is in play it will survive a Support PDon's Precipice Blades and still 2HKO PDon with +1 Earthquake. Bear in mind it is risky but plausible.eats Arceus-Dark. Also pwns Rayquaza and Excadrill one-on-one.
- You can lead with Mega TTar vs Deoxys-S, Care Superpower on Deoxys-A though!
- Passive damage from Sand damage lets Tyranitar 2HKO some Arceus formes.
- The only reason to use Unnerve over Sand Stream is for Shuca Berry Dialga and Tyranitar. Outside of that fear Sand Stream is superior to increase regular Tyranitar's bulk
- Iron Tail nails Xerneas, Fairy Arceus and Clefable
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Iron Tail vs. 184 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 262-310 (59.6 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Team Options
========

- Stealth Rock support is almost mandatory, you need the chip damage to score the guaranteed 2HKO on PDon and OHKO on Lugia with +1 Stone Edge. With rocks, +1 Stone Edge 2HKOes Water Arceus as well while Judgment will never OHKO you back.
- Primal Groudon makes a great partner, counters Klefki and PKyogre, enjoys Lugia gone, and loves Giratina-O dead. Also it is immune to burn and paralysis.
- Dialga is fine if you want a SR user which pressures Mega Sableye and you want a more Offensive PDon partner.
- Excadrill is unfortunately not a good partner for this set, TTar uses most of the sand turns by itself. It can check Xerneas however. Sacking Tyranitar so that Excadrill can revenge kill Xerneas can be a last resort.
- Ho-Oh stomps Ferrothorn and Fairyceus, checks Xerneas. All of which are annoying for this set.
- Xerneas beats Sableye easily. Xerneas + Tyranitar lets you beat any Darkrai set. Xerneas can also use Aromatherapy and loves PDon weakened to the point where it no longer checks a +2 Xerneas.
- Primal Kyogre lets you force out Primal Groudon and Mega Sableye and it loves PDon weakened by Tyranitar. Tyranitar also sets up on Lati twins.
- Vanilla Groudon is extinct, a dream come true for our Dinosaur. Sadly Ground Arceus exists. Pair it with Ground Arceus counters, Giratina-O is a good teammate. Primal Kyogre can check that too.

Checks & Counters
Xerneas - Xerneas survives any attack and can deal heavy damage with Moonblast or OHKO with Focus Blast. It can also set up Geomancy if Tyranitar lacks Taunt. However, Stone Edge is a 2HKO.

Ground Arceus - Tyranitar can 2HKO Ground Arceus with +1 Crunch but Arceus easily 2HKOes back and can come in on any other move easily.

Primal Groudon - Primal Groudon OHKOes Tyranitar with Precipice Blades and is capable of surviving a boosted Earthquake.

Primal Kyogre (especially defensive) - Offensive Primal Kyogre hates taking any attack but will easily OHKO in return. Defensive variants can shrug off 2 Stone Edges and KO Tyranitar with Scald.

Mega Mewtwo X - Low Kick will OHKO Tyranitar easily and survives a +1 Crunch.

Mega Blaziken - Earthquake will flatten Blaziken but Blaziken outspeeds, has Speed Boost and OHKOes with Low Kick.

Lucario - It resists both of Tyranitar's STABs but EArthquake will crush it. Close Combat is an easy OHKO while Bullet Punch picks off weakened ones.

MMY - can outspeed Tyranitar even at +1 and OHKO with Focus Blast. Crunch will OHKO so Mewtwo is only a revenge killer.

Deoxys-A - similar case with Mega Mewtwo Y, outruns you even at +1 and OHKO with Low Kick/Superpower.

Excadrill - outruns you thanks to Sand Rush and OHKO with Earthquake but it needs Life Orb to OHKO.

Physically defensive Clefable - can stall out Stone Edge with Wish/Protect and then beat TTar (it does get 2HKOed by Stone Edge on the switch though)

Fightceus - terrible in Ubers but it can end Tyranitar's sweep easily with Judgment.

Shuca Dialga - can take EQ and deal with a lot of damage with Flash Cannon although it does not OHKO and 2 Earthquakes will smash it.

Shuca TTar - can take EQ and OHKO with Low Kick or Thunder Wave. However, Taunt can block Thunder Wave and Stone Edge from Mega Tyranitar is a 2HKO after rocks.

Gyarados - can Intimidate Tyranitar on the DD, Mega Evolve, DD while surviving Stone Edge and OHKO with Waterfall.

Scarf users - Scarf Genesect can revenge kill with Iron Head or U-turn but a +1 Stone
Edge will OHKO.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's good to see the tyrant.

And trickroom.

Okay so I come with a couple minor things. Bear in mind these are situational, but some Uber players consider these options sometimes so why not. The first is a Defense EV alternative:
In fairness if Tyranitar gets +1 on PDon, it can beat PDon one-on-one. If you want to go for the absolute ballsy route you can try for 84 Def EVs. Provided no SR is in play it will survive a Support PDon's Precipice Blades and still 2HKO PDon with +1 Earthquake. Bear in mind it is risky but plausible.
This one is probably harder to justify though since you must keep pressure on SR users with MTTar's team.

The second is of course trickroom accidentally saying Tyranitar has Multitype when he meant Sand Stream. I want to emphasize the only reason to use Unnerve over Sand Stream is for Shuca Berry Dialga and Tyranitar. Outside of that fear Sand Stream is superior to increase regular Tyranitar's bulk. Charti Berry Rayquaza doesn't really count since +1 Crunch has an 81% chance to OHKO neutral Rayquaza after Stealth Rock factored in.

I am not 100% sure why the Ice Punch calculation exists. If you're resorting to Ice Punch on Mega Tyranitar you're probably in trouble. Both of Mega Tyranitar's STABs do a fuckton to the Uber tier. Even though fairies exist the vast majority of them hate the possibility of taking +1 Stone Edge or EQ (in M-Diance's case, anyway). I also want to clarify that Earthquake is an absolute must. It is Mega Tyranitar's best option against beating Primal Groudon and gives a fighting chance against Dialga, Aegislash (unless confident in outplaying King's Shield), and Tyranitar itself. The only other reason to maybe consider Ice Punch is for Arceus-Ground. There probably is one or two more I may be missing. I wouldn't really count Rayquaza to be honest.

Good stuff though. Glad to see that we are considering Mega Tyranitar for an analysis. It really is an interesting threat on how it plays.

Last edited:
Hi Colonel_M, I am posting this analysis for you ;)

I didn't realize I typed Multitype as the ability LOL thank you for fixing that.

Ice Punch does the same damage to Mega Salamence as Stone Edge, I must be thinking about Ice Punch against Ground Arceus and the rare Gliscor which sucks. Yeah all 3 coverage moves cannot be dropped. I will mention the Unnerve situations you stated above. Rayquaza will still fall to +1 Stone Edge even with the Charti Berry :)

Thank you.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm just wondering if you really need Crunch or not. Taunt seems like it would be more disruptive, and the only thing you're losing to with that is like Flygon (which is viable but rare).

Yeah, I thought about using the QuakeEdge combo with Taunt. Crunch is useful for Ghost Arceus, Giratina-O and Mewtwo though. Hits Mewtwo-X a lot harder. Def drops are also great, and is a reliable move to finish off threats. Maybe I can consider slashing Taunt with Crunch but Colonel_M said Crunch is needed.

Lugia can also Roost on Stone Edges, Crunch prevents that but LOL Taunt shuts down Lugia completely. Right, Taunt is better here. Dragon Tail variants are extinct.

Crunch OHKOes Giratina-O though at +1 and after rocks, also 2HKOes any other variant. These dudes pack Dragon Tail so Taunt only blocks Will-o-Wisps.

Tyranitar can OHKO Latias with Crunch, but that probably isn't needed cause Stone Edge does a truckload and Tyranitar sets up on it anyway.

Another good thing about Crunch is that, Tyranitar can take a Brick Break from Ghost Arceus, survive the next Extreme Speed if they have it, and OHKO back. It is also the best move Tyranitar has for Ground Arceus without resorting to Ice Punch, which I accidentally used in the calculation earlier because the OU set has Ice Punch.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Arceus-Ghost: 266-314 (60 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

+1 Crunch 2HKOes Ground Arceus while it can't OHKO back.

252 Atk Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 260-308 (76.2 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ground: 199-235 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tough choice, Crunch is a reliable STAB and kills off some important threats but Taunt breaks Lugia and many Support Arceus formes.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I considered Taunt myself many times and, while it definitely is a worthwhile move on this set, it is rather difficult to fit in as well. As trickroom mentioned Crunch is your best move against two very potent Arceus formes - Ghost and Ground. There are more niche situations where Crunch also has an upper hand like Wobbuffet and Mega Slowbro.

My personal thought is Taunt is worthy to be slashed next to Crunch. If I had to choose which move to drop I would agree with shrang here. Though I would argue the advantages of Taunt are to cripple more defensive teams while Crunch cripples more offensive teams.

Ice Punch is only worthy in moves, and being blunt I would probably consider Aqua Tail before Ice Punch if you were deathly afraid of Arceus-Ground. The only notable other target for Ice Punch is Garchomp.

+1 Aqua Tail doesn't even OHKO Groundceus while +1 Crunch will 2HKO it anyway, I don't think it's worth an OO mention at all. I agree Crunch is generally more useful than Taunt, AND that Taunt is still good enough vs. Toxic Waterceus / 100% health Lugia / sleeping Kyogre to warrant a slash.

Targets Crunch hits: Ghost Arceus, Giratina-O, Ground Arceus, Ferrothorn (this gets hit fairly hard at +1), Mewtwo (specifically X, +1 Stone Edge beats the others), Mega Slowbro, Bronzong, and reliably nails Lati@s. It's also clutch vs. weakened threats that EQ might not OHKO or might be a roll on, yet you don't want to risk the Stone Edge miss.

Note that Earthquake is not a guaranteed 2HKO on support Primal Groudon, even after rocks, and they often run some physical defense investment, so make sure you note that:

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 152-180 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

Note somewhere that the passive damage dealt by Sand helps it break by some threats, such as random Arceus formes. Tyranitar is also an excellent Darkrai check on hyper offense after it sleeps something, Focus Blast is really rare...checking Ho-Oh is cool as well albeit less important for HO.

Make a Checks & Counters section (Xerneas / Ground Arceus / Primal Groudon / Scarf users / Primal Kyogre (especially defensive) / Lucario / Mega Mewtwo X / Mega Blaziken / etc) and I'll stamp this.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like this thing. So far it's done pretty well.

- Excadrill is unfortunately not a good partner for this set, TTar uses most of the sand turns by itself. It can check Xerneas however.
I personally don't think so. Just because TTar is more selfish with this set doesn't mean Excadrill cannot take advantage of sand when it is up. You can still do the "sac TTar and bring in Excadrill to stop GeoXern" move if you really need to.

Otherwise just do what Sweep says and add a counters section and we're all goood to go.

I remember someone using Low Kick against me to hit ekiller (not sure to what degree that matters but w/e); is that worthy of a slash? Really dont play ubers too much so idk lol

low kick is probably not worth a slash as I'm pretty sure you can live the combination of eq+espeed from ekiller unboosted and 2hko in return.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
At best Low Kick in moves.

Aside from EKiller the only other advantage to Low Kick is bypassing Shuca Berry on Dialga and Tyranitar. The loss of Crunch or Taunt is too significant. The only reason I even mentioned Aqua Tail is because a +0 Aqua Tail will put Arceus-Ground to half health. And even then Aqua Tail is hard to justify even in moves.

I also wanted to personally state that Excadrill is a hard partner for this particular Tyranitar. As mentioned this set is more selfish and the only time Excadrill may get fun in the sand is if Tyranitar is almost immediately scared off (basically after Mega Evolution) or in a sac scenario. If you mentioned Excadrill mention the one with Air Balloon - a big advantage is Balloon gives Excadrill safety to switch into Groudon unless your opponent goes for one hell of a prediction.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
low kick is probably not worth a slash as I'm pretty sure you can live the combination of eq+espeed from ekiller unboosted and 2hko in return.
Low Kick does allow you to set up on +0 EKiller since you can tank the Earthquake + ESpeed and return the OHKO, which is occasionally useful.

That being said, I agree Crunch is usually better and Low Kick should probably get a brief moves mention at most.

shrang

General Kenobi
Few things to add to Checks/Counters:
- MMY can outspeed and OHKO with Focus Blast
- Likewise, Deo-A can outspeed and OHKO with Low Kick/Superpower
- Excadrill can outspeed and OHKO with EQ
- Physically defensive Clefable (don't know how relevant this is) can stall out Stone Edge with Wish/Protect and then beat TTar (it does get 2HKOed by Stone Edge on the switch though)
- Fightceus is terribad but since it's an Uber it should technically be on this list somewhere
- Shuca Dialga can take EQ and deal with a lot of damage with Flash Cannon
- Shuca TTar can take EQ and OHKO with Low Kick if it has it, or T-wave you
- Gyarados can Intimidate Tar on the DD, Mega Evolve, DD while surviving Stone Edge and OHKO with Waterfall :P

Updated with shrang's Checks and Counters section and gave Low Kick a small mention. Can someone write this up though, I will just push it pass QC. Being busy with exams :(

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
As there have been no objections I have taken over the analysis here.

I counted shrang's QC post and there is actually a rough draft write-up in there (I was bored yesterday).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)