move1: Crunch
move2: Ice Beam / Fire Blast
move3: Substitute
move4: Focus Punch
item: Leftovers
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 156 SpA / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• The old RSE relic, Tyraniboah, returns, completely unchanged from previous generations.
  • While usually opting for a role as a Pursuit-trapper, this particular set relies on "surprise factor" to net unexpected kills.
  • Like the standard Tyranitar, this set functions best as a lead
  • Does an excellent job against other common leads, such as Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, and Deoxys-D.
  • Crunch is Tyranitar's best STAB option on this set, nailing Deoxys-D, Jellicent, Celebi, and the Latis.
  • The second slot on Tyranitar is hotly contested and critical to it's success. While Ice Beam is the primary option on the second slot, Fire Blast can be used to nail Forretress, Scizor, and Ferrothorn harder.
  • Substitute is great to avoid status and Leech Seed, as well as easing any predictions you have to make.
  • Focus Punch is used in conjunction with Substitute to complete the famous SubPunch strategy, and cleanly OHKOs standard Terrakion and Heatran, other popular switch-ins.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • A Quiet nature allows Tyranitar to hits harder while not sacrificing any bulk or Attack.
  • Choosing an ev spread for this particular Tyranitar is difficult, and is relative to what threats you want to handle. There's flexibility here depending on what your team looks like and what threats your team has trouble with.
  • 252 HP evs allows the creation of 101 HP subs, while allow you to take Deoxys-D's Night Shade and Blissey's Seismic Toss while keeping your sub intact.
  • -Finish explanation for ev spread-
  • Thunderbolt is an option on the second slot, but Politoed laughs at it and Fire Blast hits Skarmory harder, and it's not worth giving up the ability to hit other common Steels hard.
  • Tyraniboah's greatest weakness is only having 4 moveslots, and you'll always find yourself in situations where you wish you could run both Fire Blast and Ice Beam.
  • A lot of the teammates for the standard Tyranitar sets apply here. Celebi is great for handling rain threats that Tyrnaitar struggles with, and in return Tyranitar is able to take on common Celebi switch-ins, such as Ferrothorn and Latias.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Boah was actually rejected by Nachos in the QC review period here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3469340

As far as the set itself, I really dislike it. I have seen it on the ladder occasionally, and it never very threatening. I also really dislike weather starters using Substitute since losing 25% of your health is a big deal when you are attempting to win the weather war. If Tyranitar could use that Substitute as well as, say, Terrakion, I might be convinced but its no that amazing in my experience. Correct me if I am wrong, but I assumed Boah was usually used back in ADV and DPP in order to break common stall cores, and their are other pokemon that have an easier time of it without encouraging you to run a second weather inducer due to the risk Tyranitar brings.

I just don't like it very much in BW2.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not quite sold on this set, but definitely Ice Beam > Fire Blast - Focus Punch already hits Steel-types for good damage, and you'd want Ice Beam to not be hard-walled by Ground-types like Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon. That said, you probably want enough SpA to 2HKO physically defensive Hippo - so 252 HP / 76 Atk / 156 SpA / 24 Spe; Quiet Nature

Boah was actually rejected by Nachos in the QC review period here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3469340
Sorry, I just skimmed over the "official"(?) thread and didn't see it there.

As far as the set itself, I really dislike it. I have seen it on the ladder occasionally, and it never very threatening. I also really dislike weather starters using Substitute since losing 25% of your health is a big deal when you are attempting to win the weather war.
I had varied success with Boah. I played 15 games with Fire Blast and 10 games with Ice Beam, and I actually preferred Fire Blast as nearly every single person led off with their Ferrothorn, which I proceeded to OHKO and enjoy a game without Stealth Rock or Spikes.

If Tyranitar could use that Substitute as well as, say, Terrakion, I might be convinced but its no that amazing in my experience. Correct me if I am wrong, but I assumed Boah was usually used back in ADV and DPP in order to break common stall cores, and their are other pokemon that have an easier time of it without encouraging you to run a second weather inducer due to the risk Tyranitar brings.
It was, yeah. But after using it extensively I find that it's just so unexpected that there usually ends up a dead Ferrothorn/Gliscor or a crippled Politoed. Also, I actually did a few matches with a subless variant using Crunch/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Focus Punch. It was... pretty decent, actually. It's great against Specs Politoed.

Not quite sold on this set, but definitely Ice Beam > Fire Blast - Focus Punch already hits Steel-types for good damage, and you'd want Ice Beam to not be hard-walled by Ground-types like Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon. That said, you probably want enough SpA to 2HKO physically defensive Hippo - so 252 HP / 76 Atk / 156 SpA / 24 Spe; Quiet Nature
Thanks, I'll add these changes, although I really like Fire Blast for OHKOing Ferrothorn and Forretress(after Sturdy). I didn't really think of Hippo as I see him so little nowadays and I saw very few on the ladder.

I am going to be totally honest here, what the hell does Tyraniboah do in this metagame. As a stall played I have seen people using this on many occasions and it fails to even do anything to me. If its a wall breaker, is doing a pretty crappy job at doing it.

Not to be a jerk, but based off of not only December's stats, but what Tyranitar has been generally used as since the start of BW, the players that 'left their Ferrothorn in on TTar' were... not too bright. You're not doing this set any justice by using bad opponents as justification -- or rather, as a means of showing that this set is capable of consistently doing its job.

That said, Boah is one of Tyranitar's few possible sets that gets completely fucked by a even a small change in the metagame; it's just too inconsistent to deserve an analysis IMO.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Boah was already kind of mediocre with the move from ADV to DPP, we don't even need to factor in BW/BW2's power creep to see that this set isn't very good. It's a nice surprise every now and then, I'll admit, but as a key Pokemon in the BW2 metagame, it doesn't really play to any of Tyranitar's strengths. It's not at winning weather wars, it can't Pursuit things, nor can it tank anything. The biggest reason Boah was effective back in ADV was that it broke walls and caused stall problems. In terms of a mixed attacker, I'd much rather run something like Sashtar, or even DD mixed. However, with the metagame being as offensive as it is now, and the fact that the two types of stall teams (rain stall and Hippowdon stall) don't give a shit about Tyraniboah at all makes this a pretty mediocre set. It fits very well in OO, IMO.

QC REJECTED 1/3

Eh, fair enough. At least I can still use it and get a few surprise KOs. Though if he could run moar coverage I'd like him a lot better.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yea the OU QC peeps talked it over and Boah just aint an impressive stallbreaker anymore

QC Rejected #2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)