Pokémon Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ttar is god. I've run many different sets and the one I've settled on is.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf Ability: Sand Stream EV's 252 Attack/ 252 Spe / 4 Def Nature: Adamant - Stone Edge, Pursuit, Brick Break, EQ

This set is pretty fun. I would like to throw Ice punch on him over brick break, but I don't have that option.
You should replace Brick Break with Crunch for a stronger Dark STAB when you don't need to trap something; Brick Break is weak and redundant with Earthquake. Also run Jolly to outspeed the Latis.

Has anyone played around with sashed lead / bait Tyranitar this generation

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash / Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 136 Spd / 172 SAtk / 160 Atk / 40 HP
Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge / Stealth Rocks
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake / Fire Blast

Older evs but same basic principles, meant to bait in threats like Landorus, Gliscor, steels, etc. It's an excellent partner with physical things like Mega Charizard X, Excadrill, and to a lesser extent Gyarados. Stone Edge will OHKO Thundurus, Ice Beam 2hkoes Landorus Therian as well as special defensive Gliscor. Fire Blast will OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn, I believe it 2hkoes Mega Mawile not to sure tho, while Earthquake can be used to KO Heatran. Stealth Rocks are nice, but you do need to give up coverage.

Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Beam

Older evs but same basic principles, meant to bait in threats like Landorus, Gliscor, steels, etc. It's an excellent partner with physical things like Mega Charizard X, Excadrill, and to a lesser extent Gyarados. Stone Edge will OHKO Thundurus, Ice Beam 2hkoes Landorus Therian as well as special defensive Gliscor. Fire Blast will OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn, I believe it 2hkoes Mega Mawile not to sure tho, while Earthquake can be used to KO Heatran. Stealth Rocks are nice, but you do need to give up coverage.
I haven't played with one but I've gotten popped by one ._.

Personally I'd go Fire Blast over EQ, since as mixTar I'd be more afraid of Ferrothorn and Scizor than Heatran. (And crunch at least deals...okay damage to Heatran)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Beam

I've gotten people to rage quit on me with a similar set. Good times.

It a surprisingly effective lure since you can use it multiple times in a match. Your opponent loses a Lando-T? Send in Scizor! If you're ballsy you can stay in on Lucario and kill it too.

Can this handle Talonflame and Charizard Y? I'm really looking for a rock type to eradicate every...last...one of them. Thanks! -Mcdanger's post I meant.

Can this handle Talonflame and Charizard Y? I'm really looking for a rock type to eradicate every...last...one of them. Thanks! -Mcdanger's post I meant.
Tyranitar can come in on anything Talonflame has except for U-turn and the rare WoW and either Pursuit or Stone Edge it. Charizard-Y is a little trickier because of Focus Blast but AV Tyranitar can take any hit even a Focus Blast and retaliate with a Stone Edge or Pursuit it. So yeah AV Tyranitar handles both pretty decently just watch out for Focus Blast when switching it in.

My set can but in practice its not wise as it will break the sash. It can be used to bait out Charizard Y, but if you want something specifically for that, physically defensive Tyranitar is more what you want. While it can't take on Charizard Y, it can take on Charizard X but needs to be wary of will o wisp from the bulkier tank sets as well as better answers some of Tyranitars other common switch-ins such as Garchomp, Excadrill, and Gliscor due to it being able to take a hit if needed.

Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Beam

I think I would dispense of Crunch and slash Stone Edge, since it is the only attack that can KO Talonflame. However, Crunch does about 55-65%, so keeping Stealth Rock on the field, even using another Stealth Rock user in addition to Tyranitar, user can suffice and deter U-turn use. Since TTar is faster than Azumarill, unless it goes for max speed, Stone Edge does 46-54% to it as Azumarill can check Charizard X and Excadrill so it is nice to finish off a weakened Azumarill.

136 Speed is enough to outrun uninvested Heatran, but that doesn't really matter unless you run Earthquake on it and do not have other teammates to deal with it. It can outrun also uninvested Scizor trying to use it as momentum fodder instead of using Bullet Punch.

The 140 Atk EVs are enough to KO Latios, this might have been mentioned on the other page, but it is worth mentioning here again. Note that even with this spread, a neutral Stone Edge does more damage to Latios than Ice Beam (due to TTar being physically stronger, its higher base power, and STAB) but it is worth using it to hit Lando-T on the switch as Latios usually doesn't stay in on a healthy TTar. Even if Latios is downed by Ice Beam, revealing it would only change your opponent's decision making process if they do not have another check that is not weak to Ice Beam. Still, your opponent can bring in Lando-T as even the non-scarfed version outspeeds, and just use Earthquake to have a good chance a KOing it, with Adamant guaranteeing a KO.

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 326-386 (92.8 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

More calcs:

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 326-386 (80.6 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 360-426 (89.1 - 105.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Tyranitar: 288-342 (84.4 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Tyranitar: 264-312 (77.1 - 91.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Tyranitar: 288-342 (84.2 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

In other words, with Stealth Rock Damage, Lando-T is dead. If you want to "bait" Lando-T, use find some turn to set-up on something or even Lando-T itself, and use Dragon Dance on Mega TTar. You would only have 5 turns of Sand sweeping then.

I would suggest more speed, HP, or defense at the expense of special attack in order to survive Earthquakes or hit first.

Ice Beam still gives a good chance of KOing Landorus-T:

0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 300-356 (93.7 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 316-372 (89.2 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

However, 100 Special Attack gives enough to KO Lando-T and uninvested Gliscor ( if that is a good benchmark as it is popular to run special defensive Gliscor now):

100 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 352-416 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
100 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 332-392 (103.7 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

To me, it is not about KOing Landorus-T, it is about weakening enough it for Excadrill to sweep, even at the cost of TTar. With hazards support, LO Excadrill has enough power to sweep as it almost KOs (76-90%), an 80/80 Pokemon, with Iron Head, like Latios.
For Mega Mawile:

172 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 188-222 (61.8 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It is not the most reliable check as it needs prior damage in order to KO and the risk of Fire Blast missing, but it is quite good to have something that can outspeed it.

Last edited:
That spread wasn't made to break with Excadrill, it would be geared differently if it was/ Plus Tyranitar is a rather poor bait option with Excadrill as, while they share the same answers, Excadrill can't gain instant momentum at its death if the killer is a fighting like Conk or Keldeo. It's a really old spread i made early XY to work with Talonflame, hence Earthquake for Heatran and the speed evs, iirc I had Low Kick back then as an option over Earthquake for other Ttars

um so i want to use a special t-tar any moveset?
I see a lot more MixTars than Special Tars (mainly with fire blast or ice beam to nail Skarm/Ferro or Garchomp/Lando switch ins, respectively), but his special movepool to pick from includes dark pulse, thunderbolt, ice beam, and fire blast, so for fully special you can try those moves.

With the high probability of Mega Mawile leaving and Aegislash having left the OU tier, I've been thinking about whether or not Crunch will be worth running over Earthquake on Mega Tyranitar. The downside is being walled by Bisharp and Terrakion, as well as dealing with Heatran less effectively, but it does hit the many rising Psychic-types supereffectively, not counting Mega Medicham and Mega Gardevoir. Perhaps Superpower or Low Kick can be run in its place when Megamaw leaves; anyway, I don't really see forgoing Stone Edge as an option, since Mega Tyranitar definitely needs a strong STAB.
Forgoing Ice Punch means having trouble with Gliscor and Landorus-T, two Pokémon that pose a large threat to Mega Tyranitar, so that's definitely not an option. All in all, I don't think Crunch is worth the slot if all its other moves are vital.

That said, I've been interested in testing out a new Mega Tyranitar set: SubDD.

Name: SubDD
M1: Substitute
M2: Dragon Dance
M3: Stone Edge
M4: Focus Punch
Item: Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Nature: Adamant

The goal of this set is to set up a Substitute on a slower Pokémon or status user, then use your 101 HP Substitutes to set up a DD or two to achieve a large amount of power. Alternatively, a Jolly nature and other spreads can be run if you want to hit certain Speed benchmarks at +2, but I thought this'd be interesting to share.

With the high probability of Mega Mawile leaving and Aegislash having left the OU tier, I've been thinking about whether or not Crunch will be worth running over Earthquake on Mega Tyranitar. The downside is being walled by Bisharp and Terrakion, as well as dealing with Heatran less effectively, but it does hit the many rising Psychic-types supereffectively, not counting Mega Medicham and Mega Gardevoir. Perhaps Superpower or Low Kick can be run in its place when Megamaw leaves; anyway, I don't really see forgoing Stone Edge as an option, since Mega Tyranitar definitely needs a strong STAB.
Forgoing Ice Punch means having trouble with Gliscor and Landorus-T, two Pokémon that pose a large threat to Mega Tyranitar, so that's definitely not an option. All in all, I don't think Crunch is worth the slot if all its other moves are vital.

The goal of this set is to set up a Substitute on a slower Pokémon or status user, then use your 101 HP Substitutes to set up a DD or two to achieve a large amount of power. Alternatively, a Jolly nature and other spreads can be run if you want to hit certain Speed benchmarks at +2, but I thought this'd be interesting to share.
well thats new & instresting.

No. DDMTtar can not run max HP, and there are many problems with that set otherwise. Crunch doesn't really do anything for Tyranitar, and it never did. It was a reliable STAB that caused 50/50s with Pursuit/gave something strong to use on Scarf sets/whatever but it was never the best move on it. Check in the thread for its analysis if you dont believe me. Also "all Psychic-types besides Mega Medicham and Gardevoir" is literally every Psychic in the tier besides stuff like Alakazam. Here is the set that you should use.

name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Fire Punch
ability: Sand Stream
item: Tyranitarite
nature: Jolly
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 212 Spe

This Tyranitar has enough Speed after Mega Evolving to outspeed Noivern at +1 (if you only care about Greninja, move 8 Speed to HP), and as for the moves, Stone Edge is 100% necessary, most targets of EQ are getting banned so all the relevant ones that are left are: Mawile, non Balloon Excadrill, and Terrakion. Fire Punch easily beats Mawile and any Excadrill, and Terrakion you lose to anyway if it has a Scarf, so at least in my opinion Earthquake is no longer necessary. Both Fire Punch and Ice Punch hit very important Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and many others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)