Pokémon Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about this a few days ago, I'm wondering why it's never really been brought up...

What about a Rock Polish + Weakness Policy Tyranitar as a surprise set up sweeper? I'm not sure how much speed EV's you'd need with an Adamant or Jolly nature, but with Ttars bulk and offensive stats, I see no reason why it couldn't work.

You need to be wary of priority attacks, especially Bullet Punch. But once that's out of the way I think it could be awesome.

Personally, i dont want to run weakness policy with TTar, since most SE hits that will be sent to ttar are fighting type hits. I think he's not that bulky on that side. But that's just me. Lol

Ive been running adamant ttar with assault vest, and it's doing his job.

Thats pretty much the ultimate special rain sweeper counter, but since that's about the only time its better than other sets, I'd say stick to tried and true

Hi guys,

I'd like to build a team around MegaTar as a DD sweeper but am pretty new to competitive battling and only played UU in B/W so don't know a lot about the (probable) metagame he'll be facing. Any help would be great. (I'm guessing this belongs here as it's a team around TTar, sorry if I'm wrong.)

Jolly: 252 At, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Dragon Dance
Crunch/Knock Off
Stone Edge
Coverage move... (EQ/Flamethrower?)

The plan is to bring him in against a special attacker who he'll force out with his bulk, set up, and then out-speed his counter (or use his bulk to survive a priority attack) and smash stuff. I'm wondering whether this might not work as well as I fist thought though as if I bring him in straight away then the opponent will have an easier time countering him; but if I don't bring him in straight away on their SpAttacker then it will be obvious that he's not got the Assault Vest and isn't a special sponge after all.

For coverage I was trying to think about his possible checks:
- Fighting resists both his STABs so EQ might work well against Lucario and Terrakion (though can I survive an Adaptability-STAB Bullet Punch or scarfed Close Combat? May need to predict the switch to hit them or run away if they bring these in to revenge, regardless of coverage move.)
- Scizor's bullet Punch is survivable but scary, Flamethrower hits him hard. But is it hard enough with a Jolly nature? This can also hit Ferrothorn harder than my dark move (I think...). It also hits Breloom, byt with TechniSTAB 4x SE Mach Punch, I think I'll just run away anyway.
- I can tank priority from Azumarill (I think) and hit (or miss...) back hard with Stone Edge.
- Both Flamethrower and EQ work against Aegislash too.
- Is Mach Punch from Conkeldurr a threat? I don't know what would work well here. Aerial Ace? (probably not...)

Some of these still scare me anyway (especially MegaLucario, Scarfed Terrakion and Breloom) so I need a check for them. I was thinking Gligar with Fighting resist (and high physical bulk) or maybe Sableye with Prankster WoW?

Am I missing any important threats out? How does he look?

I recommend DD/Taunt/SE/EQ since edgequake essentially perfect coverage.

+1 252 Atk M-Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 291-343 (84.83 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

Taunt covers far more options than any coverage move. The ability to shut down gimmick teams is a life saver, especially with SS breaking focus sashes.

I would think either ice fang or ice beam to be the best offensive coverage moves to deal with lando-t or gliscor.

Can someone recommend a Rock-setting set, or do you all think the one currently listed on Smogon is still viable?

Someone mentioned Careful possibly being more useful than Sassy this time around.

I'm just trying to temporarily fill a rockless void on my team at the moment, and T-Tar seems apt for the role, since Excadrill is my spinner.

SR/Fireblast/Pursuit/? With Sassy, since there isn't a stat drop in Sp. Atk. For the last slot, I'm not sure what to run--the old set says Crunch, and since this isn't meant to sweep, that makes sense, I suppose, but I'm not sure about other opinions on this as the thread seems to revolve exclusively around AV or M-Tyranitar.

With Careful, wouldn't that mean Fire Blast is moot, and then demand one use SR/Pursuit/Crunch/SE?

I'm liking that set, I think. But I'm also curious about the necessity of Pursuit. Would EQ be better in that slot to avoid the King's Shield threat? Or, perhaps, would EQ be better in the Crunch slot, since EdgeQuake has nice coverage, and Pursuit could still be useful for hitting anyone trying to escape?

I'm guessing the EVs would stay the same as well, but I'm not sure: 252 HP/252 SD/6 Atk will work until Pokebank allows for more, or easier, experimentation. But would all those EVs in SP Def be completely necessary for this "support" set, or would there be use in placing more investment in Atk?

Anyway, just questions. I'm leaning toward Careful, but I'm still at a loss for the moveset beyond Stealth Rock.

Thoughts? Assistance, por favor?

Careful lets it outspeed 0 spd Aegislash and deal 32-38% to 252/0 Aegislash or 40-47% to 0/0 Aegislash with Fire Blast. Careful doesn't really lose any thresholds. Skarmory is still 2HKO'd, Ferrothorn is still 2HKO'd, Scizor is still OHKO'd after rocks. The only one that you miss is Gliscor; you can't guarantee a OHKO after rocks with Ice Beam. And specially defensive AV Scizor, which Sassy can't OHKO either.

If you use T-Tar as a lead, you can't guarantee a OHKO on Galvantula with either nature without SpA investment or Stone Edge. With Sassy, you need 144 SpA EVs to guarantee a OHKO and with Careful, well, never mind that.

Adamant 252 lets AV T-Tar trap and kill Mega Gengar about 98% of the time after rocks and sandstorm damage x3, unless MeGar predicts the switch and uses Focus Blast (provided it doesn't miss). If it misses either time, you still win.

I have been using the following set for ttar to pretty good success:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam (trollbeam)

It takes shots like a beast, and manages to ko back with stone edge or crunch.
Trollbeam kills gliscors, and hurts landorus/garchomps that switch in to put out stealth rocks.

It isn't better to use a sassy nature with 252 hp 4 atk 252 def instead of spdef? since everyone will try to kill him with fighting moves?

Has Power-up Punch been considered a viable move for Assaulttar?
Has Power-up Punch been considered a viable move for Assaulttar?
PuP is only really an option for those that don't have access to better boosting moves. you're far better off using Dragon Dance, or hell Curse for that matter.

Weakness Policy seems too risky, even with Rock Polish. He's weak to THREE common priority moves and simply doesn't have the defenses to sustain multiple SE hits. I think he's best as a pivot that can hit and run. so I think his Choice Set is still a superb option, and Pursuit is still great against numerous Ghosts.

I'm new to competitive play but I've been trying to build a team around modest bulky rotom-w with 252 hp 252 SpA 4spd and a mega evo scizor with 252hp 252 Sp Def 4atk. I really want to to play TT, but I can't decide if it should be a assault vest sp def build or a atk build. all of the Tt I have are 5 iv adamant nature. some input would be great.

posting using a galaxy s3 is horrible. I don't wish that on anyone.

Is there any feasible way to build Adamant MegaTar as a Stealth Rock setter? Its defenses are insane even uninvested, so they'll be crazy good with HP investment, but I'm not sure if he'll miss the lack of Leftovers.

Ideally I'd put this kind of set on an offensive team in place of Mamoswine, so I'm wondering what people think of this. Has anyone tested it and had success? :O

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PuP is only really an option for those that don't have access to better boosting moves.
Good luck boosting with Assault Vest on!

Power-Up Punch won't work for a slow Pokemon with no priority and very common weaknesses. Dragon Tail is perhaps the most effective way for a defensive Pokemon to bypass the effects of the vest; however, running 4 attacks seems a much better fit for Ttar, as there isn't much I can think of that you'll want him to phaze out instead of kill.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Since it already has an awesome spdef thanks to assault vest, u can invest on def so it can take more physical hits.
What do u think? Should I invest the evs in full def, full spdef or split em?

Also with the moves, could dragon tail fit somewhere? Or it isn't viable?

How do you get Stealth Rock on Tyranitar this Gen?
According to Bulbapedia, it's either a Tutor move from Gen V or you can only get it by breeding with Pokémon that learn it from previous Gens.

Also, I'm planning on running the following set:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower

My question is, do I have to invest EVs on Sp. Atk in order for Fire Blast/Flamethrower to OHKO Ferrothorn, Scizor and Forretress (that has lost its Sturdy), or it can already take them down without any investment at all?

I'm running a tyranitar that's like this:

Tyranitar@Leftovers
Narue: Careful
EV:?
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch
Stealth Rock

My question is: What EV spread should I have?

How do you get Stealth Rock on Tyranitar this Gen?
According to Bulbapedia, it's either a Tutor move from Gen V or you can only get it by breeding with Pokémon that learn it from previous Gens.

Also, I'm planning on running the following set:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower

My question is, do I have to invest EVs on Sp. Atk in order for Fire Blast/Flamethrower to OHKO Ferrothorn, Scizor and Forretress (that has lost its Sturdy), or it can already take them down without any investment at all?
I don't have calcs for you, but I've been running a Jolly nature with Fire Blast (lulwut, I know). It works just fine against Forretress that's lost sturdy, but I can't be sure about the other two.

I'd bet, at least with a negative nature, Ferrothorn would not get 0HKO, but I'm not sure about Scizor. We'd need calcs.

EDIT: Not sure if I did this right, never done calcs before, but here's what I got for...

Ferrothorn:
0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.95 - 68.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Scizor:
0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Scizor: 260-308 (75.58 - 89.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Forretress:
0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 408-484 (115.25 - 136.72%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
So, with Stealth Rock laid, Fire Blast would OHKO Scizor... would it be worth to risk the shaky accuracy just to OHKO Scizor? Or will Flamethrower deal the same results with Ferrothorn and Foretress?

I'm probably one of the rare few that actually has a leftover Mega Slot and needs a really good Stealth Rock setter pre-bank that can threaten Talonflame and Magic Bouncers, so I use this:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Rock/Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Yeah AV TTar has significantly more Sp.Def but it can't set up rocks, meaning it's just sitting there in your team as a pivot but can't really support your team. M. TTar is probably the true counter to MZard Y. I find that most people that have M. Zard Y and see a TTar on the team never M. Evolve until after TTar is switched in so they can change the weather to sun. However, this guy can set that weather back to sand and almost everyone assumes TTar is AVed.

Besides those arguments, M. TTar even without Adamant Nature or DDance has tremendous offensive presence and the buff to Atk, Def, and even Speed is quite noticeable. Most pokemon that speed creep regular TTar can't do that against M. TTar. I always use him with a cleric such as Magic Guard Clefable to ensure that it stays long in the field. Although AV TTar is a better special wall it gets easily 2HKOed by weak unSTABed Earthquakes, and really has lackluster offensive presence.

Stat Wise at level 100 (assuming sandstorm Sp.Def boost):
HP/Atk/Def/Sp.Def/Speed

AV Careful TTar:
404/304/256/738/158

Careful M. TTar:
404/364/336/558/178

It really depends on what your team needs but I definitely feel support M. TTar is viable for those teams that have a spare mega slot and really needs someone that is both a solid pivot, supporter, and has offensive presence all combined into one.

Last edited:

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In regards to Weakness Policy: I've swept teams using Weakness Policy Tyranitar with Rock Polish / Rock Slide / Crunch / Fire Blast. It's not a completely optimal use of the item or Tyranitar, though.

It seems like the ideal item since TTar has a lot of common weaknesses-that-don't-do-much-damage to activate it. However, when you use Weakness Policy you've gotta build TTar pretty bulky -- and doing that requires a pretty significant sacrifice in terms of speed. Tyranitar is so slow that, if you sacrifice the speed EVs, even after you use Rockgility you'll still be outsped by a lot (fuck speed creep), including way too many things that just happen to hold a scarf. I put just enough in to outspeed Jolly Garchomp; this lets me survive almost any hit in the game and sweep. The trouble is really clearing the way because there are potentially a lot of mons out there that can ruin your day.

In regards to Weakness Policy: I've swept teams using Weakness Policy Tyranitar with Rock Polish / Rock Slide / Crunch / Fire Blast. It's not a completely optimal use of the item or Tyranitar, though.

It seems like the ideal item since TTar has a lot of common weaknesses-that-don't-do-much-damage to activate it. However, when you use Weakness Policy you've gotta build TTar pretty bulky -- and doing that requires a pretty significant sacrifice in terms of speed. Tyranitar is so slow that, if you sacrifice the speed EVs, even after you use Rockgility you'll still be outsped by a lot (fuck speed creep), including way too many things that just happen to hold a scarf. I put just enough in to outspeed Jolly Garchomp; this lets me survive almost any hit in the game and sweep. The trouble is really clearing the way because there are potentially a lot of mons out there that can ruin your day.
out of curiosity, what was th ev spread exactly?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
out of curiosity, what was th ev spread exactly?
I used Careful, 192 HP / 252 SpDef / 64 Speed. However, that's enough to outspeed base 108s after Rockgility; that list is pretty much just Terrakion, who you can't beat anyway, so you can dial the speed EVs back down a bit so you go back to the 102s in favor of HP or attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)