Pokémon Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is either Iron Head or Iron Tail worth picking up for hitting Fairy types?
Stone Edge + STAB = 150 BP
Super Effective Iron Head = 160 BP
Super Effective Iron Tail = 200 BP

Notable Fairies are Togekiss & Azumarill. Stone Edge already demolishes Togekiss and Azumarill is neutral to steel attacks.

No, definitely not.

Last edited:

Notable Fairies are Togekiss & Azumarill. Stone Edge already demolishes Togekiss, so you're looking at using a single 75% accuracy attack JUST for Azumarill?

No.
Nope, I was just asking a general question as I was breeding up Egg Moves in general. I hadn't done the calculations or thought hard about it, so thanks.

And, yeah, I don't think a 75% accurate move is worth it for that. Especially since Azumarill probably does too much with Aqua Jet anyway, and it would be better to switch. And you can't exactly count on the defense drop with that low a chance and that bad accuracy (and Crunch would be better for all non-Fairies).

I'm currently running a bulky Mega Dragon Dance set with Taunt, Crunch, and Rock Slide/Fire Punch. I've got it EVd to outspeed Excadrill or Garchomp after a boost and poured the rest into HP. It's bulky enough to get 2 dances in, and that's usually enough to win the game.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nope, I was just asking a general question as I was breeding up Egg Moves in general. I hadn't done the calculations or thought hard about it, so thanks.

And, yeah, I don't think a 75% accurate move is worth it for that. Especially since Azumarill probably does too much with Aqua Jet anyway, and it would be better to switch. And you can't exactly count on the defense drop with that low a chance and that bad accuracy (and Crunch would be better for all non-Fairies).
It doesn't even hit azumarill for SE damage so stone miss does more

Would a Mega TyraniBoah set be viable (when PokéBank releases of course)?

Name: TyraniBoah (Physical Bias)
Item: Tyranitarite
Nature: Quiet/Brave
EVs:252 HP/92 S.Attack/164 Speed
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Crunch
-Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

The aim of this set is to destroy walls, even though they are rather seldom seen in this generation.
This old relic from the advent of R/S/E was generally specially based, destroying Forretress and co left, right and centre. Now however, it take slightly different approach.
With a Quiet nature and NO investment, Flamethrower is a 100% 2HKO against Impish Skarmory, which is pretty amazing actually, however it does fear the Whirlwind. In cases like this, you would be wise to NOT set up a Substitute.
Flamethrower 2HKOs Forretress too, factoring in Sturdy.
Focus Punch, regardless of nature, 2HKOs Goodra. If the Sub breaks after Focus Punch number 1, Crunch will finish the job.
164 EVs with a detrimental nature ensures you outspeed uninvested Modest Goodra, the most common one.
Flamethrower helps you destroy the common Scizor and the surprisingly lesser seen Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress. I personally feel those latter 3 are particularly uncommon in Battle Spot. If that is the case for you as well, Ice Beam is amazing at destroying opposing Garchomp, Dragonite and Salamence. However, this is a WALLBREAKING set, not a sweeper breaking, so do so at your own desire.
Thunderbolt... if you don't mind being outsped by Goodra, invest in 204 S.Attack EVs, this guarantees the 2HKO on Azumarill.

It's not a great set, but helps deal with many common walls. Most important part is the surprise factor; incoming Skarmory for example will fear the toastiness of Flamethrower on the switch THEN struggle to retaliate.

I currently run this tyranitar:
Adamant nature 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4hp
Stealth rocks
Crunch
Stone edge
Earthquake

Though, i am unsure of an item to use. Right now i was considering Soft sand/ Smooth rock.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Has anyone tried CB Tyranitar lately? It's freaking amazing! It still hits pretty freaking hard and Dark-STAB got such a HUGE buff this meta. Has anyone else tried it? I'd like to see if anyone else has gotten the same results.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I only tried AV Ttar and DDmegaTar so far and both have gotten me very good results, AV Ttar especially. The amount of things he traps, holy fucking shit.

I could try CB Tar next, though. What's the moveset you're running? Pursuit/Crunch/Stone Edge/Earthquake? And how much speed investment?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
CBTar is okay, but I feel its roles can be fulfilled by Mega-Tyranitar, which gains power and bulk while retaining the ability to switch moves. Obviously this has competition with other Megas on the team, so while I feel CBTar is a great mon in its own right, a part of me is still a tad disappointed that I'm using a '2nd best' set.

I've managed to get hold of a 4 IV T-Tar, but it has Guts rather than Sand Stream.

Bearing in mind that Hippowdon is a staple of my team anyway, do you guys see a use for a Guts T-Tar? Maybe with a poison/flame orb? It'd certainly pack a hell of a punch.

I've managed to get hold of a 4 IV T-Tar, but it has Guts rather than Sand Stream.

Bearing in mind that Hippowdon is a staple of my team anyway, do you guys see a use for a Guts T-Tar? Maybe with a poison/flame orb? It'd certainly pack a hell of a punch.
Well it could be a sort of gimmick but T-tar loses out alot of bulk without sand stream. I know Hippowdon is on your team, but what if it gets taken out? T-tar is slow and easily (revenge) killed. Also residual damage will rack up.

Well it could be a sort of gimmick but T-tar loses out alot of bulk without sand stream. I know Hippowdon is on your team, but what if it gets taken out? T-tar is slow and easily (revenge) killed. Also residual damage will rack up.
Yeah, I had a lot of those thoughts too.

OTOH, I do have problems with Spore/Sleep powder. In recent WiFi matches, I've been wrecked by a Smeargle and a frickin Vivillon, of all things, just because with my priority users down, I can't wake up. I do quite like the idea of something with self-inflicted status that is immune to all that nonsense.

The other problem I have is a lack of Stealth Rocks, at least until Pokebank allows me to put it on Hippowdon. So T-Tar is my opportunity to get that onto the team. Only trouble is that rules out Assault Vest, and Hippowdon is already using the Leftovers, so that makes me consider gimmicks.

I think I may be reaching, though, with more wishful thinking than logic.

Tyranitar doesn't get Guts, as awesome as that would be. Upon evolution, it turns into Unnerve, which doesn't do him any favours, unless your team suffers greatly from the presence of sandstream (at which point, why are you using TTar?).

Guts is actually Larvitar's normal ability, and becomes Sandstream upon the final evolution. Funny enough, Sandstream is Larvitar's hidden ability, and becomes Unnerve on TTar.

Ah, thank you. Yes, it is Larvitar that I have, not Tyranitar. I was just assuming that it didn't change on evolution.

That's great. I can evolve him now with impunity!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Notable Fairies are Togekiss & Azumarill. Stone Edge already demolishes Togekiss, so you're looking at using a single 75% accuracy attack JUST for Azumarill?

No.
Iron Tail is neutral on Azumarril... Stone Edge hits it harder...

Last edited:
Don't concern yourself with Carbink, you'll laugh off his pitifully weak Fairy attacks if it even carries any. And that's if you even see one, which you won't.

Been running AV Ttar lately, but I miss sneaky pebbles. How hard does a Careful 252 HP/252 SpD Lefties Ttar get hit by Special Attacks compared to AV Ttar?

Been running AV Ttar lately, but I miss sneaky pebbles. How hard does a Careful 252 HP/252 SpD Lefties Ttar get hit by Special Attacks compared to AV Ttar?
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 190-226 (47 - 55.9%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 76.5% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 328-390 (81.1 - 96.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 224-265 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are the most notable examples. AV ttar makes a much better pursuit trapper than leftovers ttar, so thats the item you should use if youre really in need of removing dark weak mons.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite (Jolly)
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Crunch
Dragon Dance

Klefki @ Eject Buttom (Impish)
Foul Play
Reflect
Light Screen
Recycle

I'm really impressed by how damn bulky Mega Ttar is and how it's near impossible to kill through dual screens:
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand through Light Screen: 200-237 (58.4 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar through Reflect: 172-204 (50.2 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand through Light Screen: 212-252 (61.9 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar through Reflect: 224-264 (65.4 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Lucario cannot switch in at any point after you've Dragon Dance'd if it has not Mega'd yet.

Here's an example of a 6-0 sweep of Lead Klefki into DDance Mega Ttar:
2LPG-WWWW-WWW3-SFPZ
(*All of our Pokemon have 4~6 perfect IVs, so this replay is pretty accurate to simulators.)

Klefki is such an amazing partner for any Dragon Dancer and the Eject Button lets you throw in a set-up Pokemon you have for free with a good match up vs whatever they have in. It's hard for me to think of a better way to use Mega Tyranitar.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I usually never run DDTtar without Taunt. Preventing shit like Skarmory from pHazing and Rotom-W/Blissey from statusing is just way too good, and gives you lots of opportunities to set-up. And Crunch is unneeded coverage. You can replace Stone Edge with Crunch if you want but that leaves you open to many more threats, most notably stuff like Togekiss and Hydreigon.

Last edited:
I usually never run Ttar without Taunt. Preventing shit like Skarmory from pHazing and Rotom-W/Blissey from statusing is just way too good, and gives you lots of opportunities to set-up. And Crunch is unneeded coverage. You can replace Stone Edge with Crunch if you want but that leaves you open to many more threats, most notably stuff like Togekiss and Hydreigon.
I've been running Crunch because of how much I hate Stone Edge missing on things Crunch would kill and Trevenant:
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Trevenant: 398-470 (106.4 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Otherwise, it does seem better off just using EdgeQuake + Taunt. I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
It's not EdgeQuake. It's QuakEdge. People should start using the correct form. :P

But yeah, Crunch has it's uses, but I'd much rather Taunt things like Trevenant (unless it's a weird set containing Wood Hammer or something) and set up on it's poor attempt at SubSeeding or Cursing.

DDmegaTar probably needs support though, as it's completely shut down by status. When I used it on regular ttar I always had a Lum Berry.

It's not EdgeQuake. It's QuakEdge. People should start using the correct form. :P

But yeah, Crunch has it's uses, but I'd much rather Taunt things like Trevenant (unless it's a weird set containing Wood Hammer or something) and set up on it's poor attempt at SubSeeding or Cursing.

DDmegaTar probably needs support though, as it's completely shut down by status. When I used it on regular ttar I always had a Lum Berry.
Tyranitar can't set up on most things you'd like to Taunt though. Ferrothorn and Trevenant can 2HKO it with STAB moves, Rotom and Tentacruel outspeed it, Forretress can Volt Switch out or hit him with Gyro Ball, etc etc. The list of viable Taunt targets is very short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)