Tyranitar

What are everyone's thoughts about using Tyranitar with its DW ability, Tension? It isn't valuable for what Tyranitar gains but rather what the other team members no longer have to deal with - Sand.

Blaziken, for example, really appreciates the removal of powerful Psychics such as Latias and Cresselia. ScarfTar, while more vulnerable to the special attacks they wield, can easily come into the likes of Starmie and Latias to checkmate them, without causing Blaziken additional passive damage.

The same could be said of several other LO sweepers, mostly the fighting-type sweepers or attackers that could do without the ghosts and psychics running around. Tyranitar's defenses are still a solid 100/110/100, after all.

His 2 best new options, dragon tail and claw sharpen, are still pretty sub par by the looks of things. He can run decent utility with dragon tail and stealth rocks, and claw sharpen is a interesting alternative to get a 100% accurate stone edge. Sadly, neither fit him that well, as passing up the speed from DD is hard, and hes generally better at just downright killing stuff, rather than phasing.

Speaking of Tyranitar....BaitTar makes a great partner to Dory.It gets in Sandstorm and lures a lot of its general checks/Counters like Gliscor,Nuttre,Skarmory etc and K0's them with Fire blast,Ice beam.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well, Tyranitar can also call for powerful Fighters, which Doryuuzu won't like (especially priority users) and they both have a weakness to Earthquake too, so I think Dragonite would do a better job than Tyranitar here, because it can call Skarmory and Nattorei too.

I've been theorymoning this set

ttar
@damp rock
Brave
252 atk/252 speed/6 hp
-Rain dance
-Hail
-Surf
-Troll/Rest

With a damp rock and rain dance, you can fire off STAB equivalent surfs for eight turns OHKO'ing pikachu and unown. Sunny Day is to weaken water attacks aimed at Ttar(particularly boiling water since Ttar hates being burned) and without the special defense boost from sandstorm, Ttar can not withstand the hard hitters of the 5th gen, mainly Zorua and Jaroda. Troll has excellent coverage, only being resisted by rock and steel types(who wouldn't come in during sunny day and rain dance since both weather effects boost their weakness moves) and an immune to ghost types, which generally won't switch into Ttar's dark typing.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What are everyone's thoughts about using Tyranitar with its DW ability, Tension? It isn't valuable for what Tyranitar gains but rather what the other team members no longer have to deal with - Sand.

Blaziken, for example, really appreciates the removal of powerful Psychics such as Latias and Cresselia. ScarfTar, while more vulnerable to the special attacks they wield, can easily come into the likes of Starmie and Latias to checkmate them, without causing Blaziken additional passive damage.

The same could be said of several other LO sweepers, mostly the fighting-type sweepers or attackers that could do without the ghosts and psychics running around. Tyranitar's defenses are still a solid 100/110/100, after all.
With offensive teams though, I think it comes down to setup v. more wall-breaker strategy.

On teams looking to boost offensive stats to sweep, getting rid of sand might be useful if you want to loose sandstorm.

But, on teams looking to abuse Spikes/SR and then sweep through weakened enemies like ScarfChomp, Luke, or the 108 speed fighters, I'd say using sand to rid the enemy of its leftovers is clutch-- especially since sacrificing the sp.DEF boost for Tyranitar (and maybe Terrakion too) is definitely unfortunate.

After all, the sp.DEF boost makes Tyranitar one of the most specially bulky pokemon in the game, and is partially what makes it such an awesome pursuit user.

Tyranitar's epic, and always will be. What I'm interested in though is his DW ability. Whilst not all that great, it isn't useless, and means that he can be used on non-Sandstorm teams (although half the reason you use Ttar anyway is for sand stream)

Not to rain on any ideas of using TTar's DW ability, but it really does kind of suck. The two things that primarily hinder the effectiveness of Tyrannitar when you use Tension are:

1. Tension is a mediocre at best ability in an OU environment. Stopping a pokemon from eating its berry is only a novel effect that would only stop gimmic pokemon who decide to use stat-up berries. Also, if the pokemon using the stat up berry triggers it at say, 6% health left, it would die from sandstorm anyway.

2. Sand Stream is all around good for play. Boosts special defence of Tyranitar and other Rock types and keeps a hazard on the field to play around. If you dont want sandstorm in the field, dont use Tyranitar.

I dont know, it just doesnt make sense to me to take away an ability that is so useful. My thoughts.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
But Tyranitar makes such an excellent Pursuiter/Psychic killer, especially when Choiced, that it makes up for the loss of the sandstorm. And sandstorm, as previously mentioned, really hinders some Life Orb sweepers like Infernape or Blaziken.

But Tyranitar makes such an excellent Pursuiter/Psychic killer, especially when Choiced, that it makes up for the loss of the sandstorm. And sandstorm, as previously mentioned, really hinders some Life Orb sweepers like Infernape or Blaziken.
There are alternatives in CB Pursuit users, like Scizor and Metagross, but that is a valid point. STAB Pursuit is just nasty and most LO users hate sand. But one of the reasons Tyranitar (or Hippodown lol) is so popular today is to put more stoppage to LO users with residual damage.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Tyranitar is the big reason why I wondered why we were debating so much about Kyurem being uber due to its 660 BST in the beginning of BW. It's obviously not that way now, but the reason I wondered is that we've dealt with Tyranitar in DP and now in BW just fine.

And guess what, with his auto-sandstorm, it's means that he effectively has 654 BST right off the bat, only 6 less than Kyurem's. With the base stat formula, due to the fact that the SpD boost multiplies his normal Special Defense by 1.5, he can actually have a different base stat for his Special Defense depending on how much you invest in it. Basically, Tyranitar can have 154 base SpD at min investment, and 174 base SpD at max. So basically this guy's BST goes from 654-674.

It's just interesting, because a lot of people don't seem to realize that we've been dealing with a pokemon with >600 BST and no hindrance in OU for a very long time, and there's been no problems. Just keep that in mind when we're dealing with stuff like Kyurem (although I hope most people have learned to look past BST, or even just looking at raw stats). Just thought I'd put that out there.

As for the Tension debate, I do like that it makes him useful outside of Sandstorm, but it honestly seems like a bit of waste. The only one I can really see being useful is ScarfTar, because BandTar really likes his SpD boost, and the bulky sets like it too. Also, DDTar can easily make use of the SpD boost to start setting up, or to survive some Vaccum Waves. I personally think that Tyranitar needs the SpD boost since it helps him compensate for his large amount of weaknesses (a characteristic that a lot of Rock-types share). It also really helps him take HP Fighting, which he's going to be hard-pressed to survive without the SpD boost.

The only thing I see tension being useful for is taking out Colbur Berry Azelf, which has pretty much disappeared completely since Gen 5 came out.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
not even ScarfTar can make so much use of tension.
His main Job is to kill powerful Special Attackers like the Latis,Gengar and Shandera now he can't switch in without the risk of being KOed easily because without the SDef boost from Hail he isn't very bulky on the special side when you consider that you have no Ev investment.

The SDef boost made him the beast he is, because it makes his bad defensive typing handable i think without this boost he would have ended low OU in Gen 4 instead of being a constant top threat and Gen 5 won't be different.

Well you now can use him without SS, but imo this was ever one of his biggest selling points and there are often better choices for weather teams.

Tyranitar is the big reason why I wondered why we were debating so much about Kyurem being uber due to its 660 BST in the beginning of BW. It's obviously not that way now, but the reason I wondered is that we've dealt with Tyranitar in DP and now in BW just fine.

And guess what, with his auto-sandstorm, it's means that he effectively has 654 BST right off the bat, only 6 less than Kyurem's. With the base stat formula, due to the fact that the SpD boost multiplies his normal Special Defense by 1.5, he can actually have a different base stat for his Special Defense depending on how much you invest in it. Basically, Tyranitar can have 154 base SpD at min investment, and 174 base SpD at max. So basically this guy's BST goes from 654-674.

It's just interesting, because a lot of people don't seem to realize that we've been dealing with a pokemon with >600 BST and no hindrance in OU for a very long time, and there's been no problems. Just keep that in mind when we're dealing with stuff like Kyurem (although I hope most people have learned to look past BST, or even just looking at raw stats). Just thought I'd put that out there.

As for the Tension debate, I do like that it makes him useful outside of Sandstorm, but it honestly seems like a bit of waste. The only one I can really see being useful is ScarfTar, because BandTar really likes his SpD boost, and the bulky sets like it too. Also, DDTar can easily make use of the SpD boost to start setting up, or to survive some Vaccum Waves. I personally think that Tyranitar needs the SpD boost since it helps him compensate for his large amount of weaknesses (a characteristic that a lot of Rock-types share). It also really helps him take HP Fighting, which he's going to be hard-pressed to survive without the SpD boost.
You really can't consider the boosted sp. defense base stat, as it is removable by any other weather ect, it isn't always there like a base stat. Just saying, not making any agrument at Kyurem at all.

Too bad the opponent will immediatly know if tyranitar has tension because of his usual ability. :( There is definatly no element of surprise for that ability which an ability like that needs.

You really can't consider the boosted sp. defense base stat, as it is removable by any other weather ect, it isn't always there like a base stat.
If the sand never goes away does it really matter that it's a boost and not his "natural" SpD? Until Dreamworld Poli and Nine make an appearance the only weather poke he ever needs to consider is Abom and frankly Abom isn't that common. Poke who actually throw out Sunny Day/Rain Dance, or Could Nine pokes are even less likely to be seen then Abom...

If the sand never goes away does it really matter that it's a boost and not his "natural" SpD? Until Dreamworld Poli and Nine make an appearance the only weather poke he ever needs to consider is Abom and frankly Abom isn't that common. Poke who actually throw out Sunny Day/Rain Dance, or Could Nine pokes are even less likely to be seen then Abom...
If the sand doesn't go away it doesn't matter, it is just the fact that it can. So it is not the same as being part of his base stat. Sorry, I'm just picky with the wording of stuff, as it can be misleading. Sure it is unlikely it will go away, but it isn't part of his base stats.

252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Atk makes Tyranitar take Surfs and Solar Beams from Politoed and Ninetales like nothing. Even SpecsToed has a hard time taking it down, having 18% to 2HKO with Surf.
Defensive versions get even more stalled, and you can just Rest or take any hit while you sleep through Hypnosis. Just switch out and in as you see Politoed or Ninetales, and peck them with Pursuit when they switch out.
It obviously serves other utilities, like killing Shandera, and doing some serious damage to Latios/Latias who try to Draco Meteor down your team. Specs can 2HKO I think.

Tension is easily the best ability for Tyranitar, as it stops Shedinja from eating its Oran Berry, which, may I remind you all, will restore 100% of Shedinja's health when eaten.

Tension is easily the best ability for Tyranitar, as it stops Shedinja from eating its Oran Berry, which, may I remind you all, will restore 100% of Shedinja's health when eaten.
I don't know what to say to this lol. Umm... yeah I'm pretty sure you know what's wrong with this statement.

Shedinja has 1Hp, it'd heal 1000%. Check your math :)

But in all seriousness, We've managed to deal with Ttar in the past, and people will still be able to. Keep in mind that critical 4X fighting weakness. He's easier to smack on the physical side due to the sp.Def boost of the sandstorm, but if he has Tension, the reverse of this is true (Special attacks are better against Tension variants)

Think of it like this: if you are wasting a turn lowering Tyranitar's special defense by one level, you would be using a move that is worse than fake tears. Since Tyranitar has the boost every time it switches in, the boost was essentially permanent in gen IV.
You don't always do it just to lower its sp. defense. I for one had a hail team that I would use, and changing it the weather to hail wasn't just to lower it sp. defense. This will be even more true once politoad's and ninetail's dream world abilities are getable. Just saying it is a stage boost not a base stat.

I hate tyranitar with a Burning passion...fucking sandstorms killing mah Jolteon...anyways Tyranitar rocks(the truth hurts) tension sucks but I don't use tyra anyway so I don't give two shits, but it's more useful if you don't want your sweepers to take a shit load of damage. All and all tyra will always be a top tier threat and one of the few pokemon I can't stand ( that's right charizard, I'm looking at YOU!)

I don't really see much use of Tension, even if it was for your teammates.
Well the SpD for T-tar isn't constant, but you do have a point, BSTs aren't everything. Kyurem's BST might mean nothing and prove not to be broken, but at the same time he might be broken for a combination of factors.

One thing, Grass and Steel are definitely not common attacking types, and since T-Tar is generally slower than any other weather creators, it will usually get SS up. Also, a lead T-Tar with no attack EVs with adamant nature will 2hko Politoed, and OHKO Ninetales running 252 HP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)